“STAY HERE!”

Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Boston, MA
“STAY HERE!”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at your resort from 4/4-4/11. It was the most amazing experience we have ever had on vacation. We were thoroughly impressed with the hospitality of the staff, the hotel itself, and the beach of course. We were pleasantly greeted by the bellman and directed inside to check in. We were offered rum punch and a very warm welcome. Our studio room was exactly what we expected, it had everything we needed. The room was freshly cleaned every single day. The food at Mango Reef was our favorite of all the place we visited. All the restaurants on the island had fantastic food, but we loved lunch and dinner at Mango Reef. Trevor was our first waiter at the restaurant and I have to say, he set the tone for our entire trip. He was so friendly and warm and seemed to make it his pleasure to wait on us! We looked forward to seeing him every day. We honestly cannot say enough good things about him. We would come back to the Alexandra just to see him!! Please give him a raise and a promotion and tell him he will see us soon! We just got home last night, but we have been spreading the word about The Alexandra to everyone we know. We visited a lots of hotels while we were there, The Gansevoort, Veranda, Grace Bay, Regent Palms, etc. But we feel like Alexandra is our home away from home. I plan on writing a very positive review on Trip Advisor. Your staff, accommodations, hospitality and beach went well beyond our expectations. WELL DONE!

Room Tip: We stayed in a studio on the first floor. We would have liked to sleep with the door open but thoug...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sab53075

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Chicago
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed at the Alexandra for one week in March. We were very pleased with our stay for the most part. We had a terrible experience while we were there.We were accosted and demanded to hand over all our money. Thank God we made it back to the Mango restaurant and safety. The resort manager Annette and the male security guard who was working that nite did nothing at all to rectify the situation. They were a total letdown. The staff members Ramon, JohnLuc, Edwin and Christina all were fabulous. They and afew others that I cant remember their names are all a valuable asset to the Alexandra resort.

4 Thank Stanley54
JBohmann, Manager at Alexandra Resort, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay at the Alexandra Resort. We are aware that you endured a very frightening experience during your visit and on behalf of the resort, I wish to express my relief that you did not suffer any injuries. I regret having to correct your version of this incident in a public forum, but since the comfort and safety of our guests are of most importance to me, I have no other recourse than to state my version of the incident here. According to my recollection, you did not report the incident to me until the morning after it occurred. You reported to me that a white male accosted you, and that it was possibly another tourist. We have several conversations and in fact I checked in with you every day during the remainder of your visit, and you assured me you were doing much better.

An employee from Mango Reef believes (from what another guest reported) that it was a guest from another resort who was drunk and playing a prank. We made several attempts to locate this guest, without success. No other resort was able to verify that they had a guest fitting the description provided to us.

I wish to reconfirm that we take guest security and safety very seriously. Providenciales and the Alexandra Resort are very safe to visit. The Turks & Caicos has one of the lowest crime rates of any destination in the Caribbean, indeed perhaps the lowest I felt we were compassionate and attentive to your issue, and I regret you did not feel my efforts were sufficient.

Anette Mullings, General Manager
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I booked this resort because of all the positive reviews I read on Tripadvisor, which generally doesn't let me down. However, the resort was a big letdown, so I will now take reviews with a shovel of salt. Here's my experience:

Room
I had 1 bedroom oceanview with a king bed. When I entered the room, I was severely disappointed. Not only did it look like a cheap motel room, but the "king" bed was two separate beds. After calling the front desk, they sent someone over to join the two small beds. I also found dead bugs in the closet, and housekeeping removed them. Also, the safe did not work and it took 3 phone calls for someone to finally come and fix it. The walls are extremely thin, you can hear every single movement the people in the room next door make. The phone did not work properly and the messaging system was disabled as well for some reason.

Resort:
The beach and water are quite nice, but I prefer the Bahamas. The problem I have with this beach is that there is a lot of seaweed and sea junk (not trash, just some natural sea stuff) that washes on shore and gets in your mouth and eyes when swimming. Also, the staff at the beach are quite careless. It was rather windy, and yet they left all the umbrellas fully opened, a disaster in the making. Of course an umbrella got loose, flew up, and hit me on my arm, causing a deep purple bruise. The staff did apologize, but they should have closed the umbrellas to begin with (they did after seeing me get hit).
Other than a pool, there are no facilities at this resort. Nothing. You got the beach and the pool and a spa (which was never opened whenever I inquired). If you're the kind that likes to sit on a beach and roast and do nothing else, this may be your kind of place.

Food:
There is only 1 restaurant in the hotel called the Mango Reef (you get sooo sick of eating at the same place for breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Although the food is good, they seem to have a tendency to bathe everything in butter. The Filipino staff who work there are excellent and very professional, but the local staff are not very good. I ordered a Caesar salad with no bacon and the dressing on the side. I made sure to repeat the order and made the waiter repeat it too just so he wouldn't forget to exclude the bacon and put the dressing on the side. My salad ended up coming with lots of dressing mixed in and a nice helping of bacon. The waiter promptly disappeared for 10 minutes, and I couldn't eat my salad. Eventually, I walked up to go inside the restaurant from the terrace (where you can are served) and tried to find anyone who could help my find my waiter. He ended up coming another 5 minutes later. When I showed him the bacon and the dressing, he apologized and came back with another one. All they did was pick some bacon off the salad. They did not make a new one. The dressing was still on as well, and the fish on it was cold too. I gave up and just ate it. This is one of many things that the local wait staff messed up. Some blamed the "system", but I wonder why the Filipino staff didn't seem to have any problems with the "system".

Service / Management
Bar none, this place has the most inept management I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing. I'm a very laid back person and give people a lot of chances, but I lost my patience with them by the end of it. Check-in was fine, but it was all downhill from there. First was the room issue (wasn't given a room with a king bed), then I had to call many times to have someone fix the safe; I asked for a wake up call and they did not call me; I asked what time my airport shuttle was, they gave me the wrong time and never bothered to notify me of the correct time; the list goes on and on and on. On my third night, I decided to forfeit the money I paid for the next 3 nights and try another hotel, that is how miserable I was.

Local attractions:
I went uptown to some shops that were nearby ($10 cab ride away) as there were no stores in the hotel, and they were quite empty. The city looked rather deserted for some reason, I guess people just hang out on the beach. I also went to the casino, and it was the most depressing casino I've ever been in. The dealers were rude to the patrons (not to me though), and some local guys got in a fight with one of the dealers and it was very unpleasant. Hardly anyone was in the casino on a Saturday night (maybe 7 people or so gambling, another 5 or 6 people just watching) and the action was very small ($5 blackjack minimums). The casino shuttle took forever to pick drop you back to your resort, and the driver had the nerve to try forcing the passengers into unsafe seating (he asked 2 people to sit in the front single seat, with one head pressed against the windshield).

VERDICT: Unless you are a masochist, stay away from here. I sincerely DO NOT recommend it. Don't waste your hard-earned money and vacation days at this place.

Room Tip: Want a good room? Stay somewhere else.
8 Thank lapis986
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed for one week at The Alexandra #3303 and we truely loved it. The grounds and resort were amazing and the beach was simply beautiful. We took a snokel trip right from our beach which was great! The food was reasonable and had variety.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie F
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We just returned from our stay at the Alexandra (April 2012) and were very pleased with our stay. Compared to other hotels in the area it is a great value! We were unable to get a beach-front room but requested top floor of the beach view rooms and discovered that there is a great beach/ocean view from there (ask for the fifth (top) floor). The restaurant on site, Mango Reef was our favorite of all the major restaurants we tried in Grace Bay. Make sure you eat on the deck at least one night during sunset. Its an amazing view. Room was very clean and housekeeping did a great job even stopping by in the afternoon with a second round of fresh towels and turn down service. The only complaint we had was that the bed was very uncomfortable! Tip the beach hands at the resort well and they can even set up chairs/umbrella/towels on the beach first thing for you - just ask them! This saves having to go down early and "claim" your spot. There always seemed to be plenty of chairs and umbrellas and they had at least one of the waitstaff walking the beach for drink orders every afternoon. There is a reef in walking distance from the hotel with great snorkeling (about a 10 min walk down the beach). The resort does offer snorkel equipment, however it was very poor, so check it in the water at the resort before making the walk down or bring/buy your own - just ask the beach attendants for them. Take the shuttle offered at the resort to the supermarket and stock up on water and snacks - prices were triple what we are used to but still well worth it! For our first time in TC, this wasn't our first choice in hotels but we couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jschwartz452
Jannali, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I recently stayed here with some friends for a week and everything was great.We stayed in a 2 Bedroom Oceanview and it was immaculate.There were.also many families taking advantage of Spring Break and they all seemed to be having a wonderful time as well.The beach is safe and clean,but just be aware that if you like to ocean swim like I do you have to pick your times due to the large number of watercraft coming to shore.The pool was also very clean and easy to do laps if you're into swimming like I am.The restaurant attached to the hotel offers very good food and service and you can actually get them to put a table on the beach if you like to dine that way.All staff were friendly and helpful and there is a concierge who will book tours for you, but you can do your own research as well.The resort is 25 minutes from the market but they do have a shuttle each day for a small charge.

Room Tip: Oceanview 2 Bedrooms are the best if you can afford the extra cost..
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank DerekHulme
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 1, 2012

This is our second trip to the Alexandra and they have really improved since we were there last. Check in was smooth, Joe was very friendly and helpful. Our room was immaculate when we checked in and we had someone come in daily to change towels, clean and make the bed.
There were always plenty of beach towels and the he beach attendants were great.
We had an ocean front room and the view was incredible.
The on site restaurant was very good as well.
The resort is within walking distance of many other restaurants.
Al made several reservations for us and they were all done as expected.
Grace Bay is by far the nicest beach I have ever been to.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you then go for the beach front.
3 Thank goodeats22
AlexandraResort, Manager at Alexandra Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to The Alexandra! Thank you so much for your kind words about the staff - we will be sure to pass your review on to all the folks at Mango Reef and to Tasha. We can't wait to have you back again!