“Scratching my head over these positive reviews...”
Review of Alexandra Resort

Alexandra Resort
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Vancouver, Canada
“Scratching my head over these positive reviews...”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I booked this resort because of all the positive reviews I read on Tripadvisor, which generally doesn't let me down. However, the resort was a big letdown, so I will now take reviews with a shovel of salt. Here's my experience:

Room
I had 1 bedroom oceanview with a king bed. When I entered the room, I was severely disappointed. Not only did it look like a cheap motel room, but the "king" bed was two separate beds. After calling the front desk, they sent someone over to join the two small beds. I also found dead bugs in the closet, and housekeeping removed them. Also, the safe did not work and it took 3 phone calls for someone to finally come and fix it. The walls are extremely thin, you can hear every single movement the people in the room next door make. The phone did not work properly and the messaging system was disabled as well for some reason.

Resort:
The beach and water are quite nice, but I prefer the Bahamas. The problem I have with this beach is that there is a lot of seaweed and sea junk (not trash, just some natural sea stuff) that washes on shore and gets in your mouth and eyes when swimming. Also, the staff at the beach are quite careless. It was rather windy, and yet they left all the umbrellas fully opened, a disaster in the making. Of course an umbrella got loose, flew up, and hit me on my arm, causing a deep purple bruise. The staff did apologize, but they should have closed the umbrellas to begin with (they did after seeing me get hit).
Other than a pool, there are no facilities at this resort. Nothing. You got the beach and the pool and a spa (which was never opened whenever I inquired). If you're the kind that likes to sit on a beach and roast and do nothing else, this may be your kind of place.

Food:
There is only 1 restaurant in the hotel called the Mango Reef (you get sooo sick of eating at the same place for breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Although the food is good, they seem to have a tendency to bathe everything in butter. The Filipino staff who work there are excellent and very professional, but the local staff are not very good. I ordered a Caesar salad with no bacon and the dressing on the side. I made sure to repeat the order and made the waiter repeat it too just so he wouldn't forget to exclude the bacon and put the dressing on the side. My salad ended up coming with lots of dressing mixed in and a nice helping of bacon. The waiter promptly disappeared for 10 minutes, and I couldn't eat my salad. Eventually, I walked up to go inside the restaurant from the terrace (where you can are served) and tried to find anyone who could help my find my waiter. He ended up coming another 5 minutes later. When I showed him the bacon and the dressing, he apologized and came back with another one. All they did was pick some bacon off the salad. They did not make a new one. The dressing was still on as well, and the fish on it was cold too. I gave up and just ate it. This is one of many things that the local wait staff messed up. Some blamed the "system", but I wonder why the Filipino staff didn't seem to have any problems with the "system".

Service / Management
Bar none, this place has the most inept management I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing. I'm a very laid back person and give people a lot of chances, but I lost my patience with them by the end of it. Check-in was fine, but it was all downhill from there. First was the room issue (wasn't given a room with a king bed), then I had to call many times to have someone fix the safe; I asked for a wake up call and they did not call me; I asked what time my airport shuttle was, they gave me the wrong time and never bothered to notify me of the correct time; the list goes on and on and on. On my third night, I decided to forfeit the money I paid for the next 3 nights and try another hotel, that is how miserable I was.

Local attractions:
I went uptown to some shops that were nearby ($10 cab ride away) as there were no stores in the hotel, and they were quite empty. The city looked rather deserted for some reason, I guess people just hang out on the beach. I also went to the casino, and it was the most depressing casino I've ever been in. The dealers were rude to the patrons (not to me though), and some local guys got in a fight with one of the dealers and it was very unpleasant. Hardly anyone was in the casino on a Saturday night (maybe 7 people or so gambling, another 5 or 6 people just watching) and the action was very small ($5 blackjack minimums). The casino shuttle took forever to pick drop you back to your resort, and the driver had the nerve to try forcing the passengers into unsafe seating (he asked 2 people to sit in the front single seat, with one head pressed against the windshield).

VERDICT: Unless you are a masochist, stay away from here. I sincerely DO NOT recommend it. Don't waste your hard-earned money and vacation days at this place.

Room Tip: Want a good room? Stay somewhere else.
8 Thank lapis986

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed for one week at The Alexandra #3303 and we truely loved it. The grounds and resort were amazing and the beach was simply beautiful. We took a snokel trip right from our beach which was great! The food was reasonable and had variety.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie F
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We just returned from our stay at the Alexandra (April 2012) and were very pleased with our stay. Compared to other hotels in the area it is a great value! We were unable to get a beach-front room but requested top floor of the beach view rooms and discovered that there is a great beach/ocean view from there (ask for the fifth (top) floor). The restaurant on site, Mango Reef was our favorite of all the major restaurants we tried in Grace Bay. Make sure you eat on the deck at least one night during sunset. Its an amazing view. Room was very clean and housekeeping did a great job even stopping by in the afternoon with a second round of fresh towels and turn down service. The only complaint we had was that the bed was very uncomfortable! Tip the beach hands at the resort well and they can even set up chairs/umbrella/towels on the beach first thing for you - just ask them! This saves having to go down early and "claim" your spot. There always seemed to be plenty of chairs and umbrellas and they had at least one of the waitstaff walking the beach for drink orders every afternoon. There is a reef in walking distance from the hotel with great snorkeling (about a 10 min walk down the beach). The resort does offer snorkel equipment, however it was very poor, so check it in the water at the resort before making the walk down or bring/buy your own - just ask the beach attendants for them. Take the shuttle offered at the resort to the supermarket and stock up on water and snacks - prices were triple what we are used to but still well worth it! For our first time in TC, this wasn't our first choice in hotels but we couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jschwartz452
Jannali, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I recently stayed here with some friends for a week and everything was great.We stayed in a 2 Bedroom Oceanview and it was immaculate.There were.also many families taking advantage of Spring Break and they all seemed to be having a wonderful time as well.The beach is safe and clean,but just be aware that if you like to ocean swim like I do you have to pick your times due to the large number of watercraft coming to shore.The pool was also very clean and easy to do laps if you're into swimming like I am.The restaurant attached to the hotel offers very good food and service and you can actually get them to put a table on the beach if you like to dine that way.All staff were friendly and helpful and there is a concierge who will book tours for you, but you can do your own research as well.The resort is 25 minutes from the market but they do have a shuttle each day for a small charge.

Room Tip: Oceanview 2 Bedrooms are the best if you can afford the extra cost..
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank DerekHulme
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 1, 2012

This is our second trip to the Alexandra and they have really improved since we were there last. Check in was smooth, Joe was very friendly and helpful. Our room was immaculate when we checked in and we had someone come in daily to change towels, clean and make the bed.
There were always plenty of beach towels and the he beach attendants were great.
We had an ocean front room and the view was incredible.
The on site restaurant was very good as well.
The resort is within walking distance of many other restaurants.
Al made several reservations for us and they were all done as expected.
Grace Bay is by far the nicest beach I have ever been to.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you then go for the beach front.
3 Thank goodeats22
AlexandraResort, Manager at Alexandra Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to The Alexandra! Thank you so much for your kind words about the staff - we will be sure to pass your review on to all the folks at Mango Reef and to Tasha. We can't wait to have you back again!
Cambridge, Ontario
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Yes you can get more glamour at a few other resorts (Gansevoort, Regent Palms, Seven Stars) but you will pay 300-400% more to be on the same beach! The Alexandra is a great affordable resort half way between Coral Gardens reef and the tourist shopping district. (15-20 min walk in either direction). Our studio room was very clean and updated, with a queen size bed (we sure missed our king bed!). The mini-kitchen is adequate for assembling breakfast or lunch, but not for cooking. It has a microwave and small fridge, but no stove or oven. We chose to eat breakfast in the room.

Tip: next door at Regent Palms there are several boutique stores, and one is a snack shop called Spice where you can get great gourmet snacks, and milk and pop etc.

The resort has a very wide beach area, so there were plenty of umbrellas at the beach. It was a little annoying that people finish for the day and leave their towels behind, so I would recommend if it's past 3 pm and you want to sit somewhere, just go for it. Especially around the pool, people were constantly leaving their towels behind and never returning. No need to rush early in the morning to get chairs; if you get there before 11 am you'll for sure find quite a a few to choose from still. In fact, I wouldn't worry at all about selection before noon and after 2 or 3.

The water in the pool and the ocean was 80-82 degrees. A slight chill upon entry but you adjust very quickly.

There is a "super water highway" along the whole stretch of Grace Bay, about 50 yards from shore, that all of the water craft use; boats, catarmans, hobie cats, banana boats. Thankfully no noisy jet ski's. Be very careful not to go past the white line of bouy's; you could easily get hit by a boat, and a snorkeler sadly did at Coral Gardens, which gave everyone pause for concern. Hanging at the beach you will hear the gentle water lapping, feel the gentle breeze, there will be people chatting around in the background, and some boat action. But no awful sales pitches. If you want a totally quiet beach experience, rent a car and go to one of the other beaches (Long Beach, Taylor Bay, Leeward, Sapodilla etc) but there is no shade or chairs!!! (bring your own!)

We paid $24 return for 2 of us to go to the IGA by taxi, in case you don't want to go when the shuttle goes. Another day we walked there, since there are 2, you can walk to the one in the tourist shopping area in about 20-25 mins. The bigger IGA is about 30 mins walk, and not scenic. Tons of taxis sitting at the store waiting to take people home.

We rented a car for 2 days, total with tax and insurance was about $105, and we enjoyed seeing the whole island. If you rent a scooter, beware there are stray dogs. (Dogs like to chase motorcycles, which can be scary)

Bring laundry soap for a load or two in case...there was dish soap and paper towel provided in the room.

Dining is expensive on the island. We went to Coco's and paid about $150 for 1 appetizer, 2 mains, 1 dessert, 1 glass wine, 1 pop including tax, tip. Everyone raves about Coco's, the atmosphere is wonderful, the food is decent. We had the best dinner at the beach bbq night (Sun) at Seven Stars. We walked there and back. The Mango Reef food was very good, which we had a couple times for lunch. If you like mexican, try the Somewhere cafe, beachside at Coral Gardens.

Overall the trip was great, and we were hardly in our room. We were mostly at the beach. The pool tends to have kids at it. If you think paying more $$$ will get you out of kid noise, forget it, tons of kids at Regent and 7 Stars too!!!

8 Thank OntarioCambridge
Boston
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We asked for an ocean front room (not ocean view!) and were situated in room 2305 (must be building 2, 3rd floor) of the LadyRose building with a spacious deck and gorgeous view.

The condo was spacious and had everything we needed and everything was working properly. When our coffee maker broke, the maids were really sweet, smiling and rushing around to try to find us one before morning coffee, did not make us feel like they were put out. All the basics you would need are there, salt pepper, wine opener, all serving things and various types of kitchen equiptment. When we opened windows in the kitchen, it would create a breeze through the whole unit which was really nice.

I feel like the Alexandra was central on Grace Bay in many ways. Down the beach (or west along the beach) there were bigger more crowded resorts where the beach was crawling with people and a bit narrow but seemed super fun- (like, at Beaches, people would line up at sunset to have family photos taken and I loved walking by Beaches to see that in the evening), up the beach, were the resorts that were slightly more tony, fewer people and a wider more picturesque beach. So, the Alexandra was between these two types of experiences on Grace Bay- it was nice because we could walk in one direction for a fun vibe and the other direction for a more chic chic vibe. Also, I feel like the Alexandra was very reasonably priced, which made it feel fair and central. And, the Alexandra seems to be a resort that has been there for a long time and has some legitimacy on the island-- for instance, when some fresh wahoo came in on one of the days we were there, the Alexandra was one of the places that was offered some of it for their restaurant.

I liked it that the staff on the beach were slightly quiet and non-intrusive. Some people might want more of a staff presence, however, I am not one of them. I like it when the staff is there, but not constantly asking me if I need anything- so, I liked the style of the staff here.

The only thing you really need to know is that you have to book the LadyRose building if you want ocean front. If you are in that building, it is very convenient to get to the beach, you're there in under a minute or two. The beach is really at your fingertips. Tasha was very helpful at the reservations desk and went out of her way to reassure me that our place in line for an upper floor unit would be held for us based on when we reserved. And, Annette, the property manager, was also very helpful for us during the planning stage of our trip.

Some of the reviews are not as positive, but, I believe that people who stay in one of the 'ocean view' buildings end up rating the resort less positively because they feel like they are way behind all the fun and action-- the second building is really literally behind the LadyRose building-- so, I feel like there is a dichotomy in reviews based on what building you book.

All in all, it gave us a great location to explore the whole beach along Grace Bay. One night, we did a 7 mile walk along the beach in both directions. Grace Bay is great for walking and resort gazing, like walking along Rodeo drive and window shopping or walking along Newbury Street in Boston and seeing people at restaurants and in stores, so, 3 or 4 miles will go by and you don't even realize it. Have fun if you go!

Room Tip: Just ask for the LadyRose building, any of the rooms.
4 Thank Sara B