“Just what we were looking for”
Review of Alexandra Resort

Alexandra Resort
Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Phoenix, Arizona
“Just what we were looking for”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We arrived on a Sunday and Grace Bay Car Rentals was there to greet us outside of baggage claim. It took us about 45 minutes to get thru the line and claim our luggage.
As a party of 3 couples we rented a Van which was in good shape and worked well.

It took us about 15 min. to get to the hotel. Arriving at 3pm we were able to check in. All 3 couples rented thru VRBO and we would again in a heartbeat. If renting thru VRBO I recommend your owner has a manager on the island for you to contact in case of a problem. Our friends had a problem with their safe and did not have a phone number to their owner or know of any manager to contact. They only had e-mail address and were lucky to get a response within the hour. Our owner’s were FABULOUS!! They gave us many recommendations on restaurants / excursions / grocery stores, etc. We had their phone numbers and manager’s phone number. We were able to schedule a mid week cleaning (you don’t get daily service when renting thru VRBO) with the manager for $35. Our Marylin bldg unit was spotless!! We were on the 2nd floor with partial view of the ocean. Our room was the cleanest of the 3 and our owner’s, I felt, were the best working with. Our other friends were on the top floor (5th) of Marylin and 2nd floor of the Prima Dona bldg. The 4th and 5th floor rooms have the better views of the ocean. These two bldgs are not ocean front you would need to be in the Chelsea or Lady Rose bldgs. Please feel free to send me a private message and I can give you more info on the rooms.

The beach, wow… We have been to Barbados, Grand Cayman, St. Martin, Aruba, Vieques, Maui, Bahamas, St. John, PR, Isla Mujeres, Punta Cana, Costa Rica, and Cancun and can honestly say this is probably the best. You can walk miles (12) on grace bay. Some days the winds were high and waves rough but other days it was calm and water smooth as glass. The water is beautiful blue with nice sandy bottom. The Alexandra is on the widest part of the beach and chairs are spread out, unlike the other hotels close by... We walked (25 min.) to Coral Gardens to snorkel which was great and saw lots of fish!! The Reef is close to shore...

Having a car we were able to visit Turtle Bay. A beautiful bay with knee high water that stretched out for a couple hundred yards before getting deep. There was never more then 12 people on the beach the 3 times we went there.

Restaurants we visited: DeConch shack – Somewhere – Bay Bistro – Tiki Hut (great Wed. night bbq ckn & ribs) – Mango Reef 3 times, waiter Ramon was the best!! Thanks for the Iced Teas.
We ate our breakfast in as we had packed bagels and English muffins. We bought lunch meat ($10 a pound) and packed lunches. We also packed cheeses/bolognas/Sopressata for happy hour foods, powdered tea, coffee and some snacks.

Local places we visited were Danny Buoys at salt mills and Hole in the Wall bar by the airport – fun places.

This is a vacation for rest and relaxation. There is no traffic – no cruise ships - no loud towns.
We used the VIP Flyers club on our return and recommend it if traveling on the weekends.

Room Tip: Marylin gets afternoon sun. 4th & 5th floors have better views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank darlsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I can only say this was a absolute wonderful place ro stay.We stayed in Room 2205, and it was a beautiful one bedroom ocean front suite.The service at this resort was first class all the way. everyone was friendly and very helpful. I can't say enough about the staff, they really were outstanding.It was one of the easiest check in and check outs, then the bellman was right there to take us to our room. No waiting at all. What impressed me the most was after checking out we were waiting for our cab and a staff member came outside and shook our hands and wished us a safe trip home. who does this? We ate at the mango reef every night but one.The other place was voted number one, but the mango was much better. Next visit we won,t eat any where but at the mango.Hats off to the chef. It was some of the best food I've ever had. And the staff at the mango was outstanding.Try a table right one the beach,absolutely beautiful.The beach was great you don't need to worry about chairs, any time of day there is staff to set them up for you. Oh one special person I would like to thank is Tasha she when out of her way to help me choose the wonderful room. again this is a wonderful place to stay and We will absolutely be coming back It feels like home. P.S. My sister stayed there in Jan and loved it so much she came back with me in march. That says a lot about the Alexandra .

Room Tip: Choose ocean front and floor two or higher
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank laura j
Singapore
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Grace Bay was everything we expected and much more. In spite of a bad start when American Airlines called us at 4 AM to inform that our flight had been cancelled, we were lucky enough to get seats in a JetBlue flight two hours later. This was the only issue in a great trip. My wife's plan was to simply stay at the beach the whole day, go for long walks, to have an espresso or a drink at any of the beautiful resorts along the beach and then have dinner at one of the Provo restaurants. She followed the plan exactly, as in one week we had maybe 90 minutes of rain. The sea temperature could have been a bit higher, but it was OK for late February. My plan was slightly different, I went scuba diving twice - with Caicos Adventures and with the Beaches Hotel - both good diving operations. We loved Alexandra Resort - our studio had a nice ocean view (not beachfront), with a large balcony. Room was nice and clean, the bed a little too soft for my back. Towel service came every afternoon asking if we needed something. I can't say for sure that it's the best beach stretch, but it's one of the best for sure. Even knowing that the resort was full, the beach was never crowded, and there ware always plenty of chairs available. Most of the guests were couples like us, 40 years or older. Provo does not seem to be the place for younger people - it's expensive and not a lot of nightlife. Service at the resort was decent - the people at the reception didn't try to smile a lot or to be very friendly, but they were efficient when we needed them. Alexandra's Mango Reef Restaurant had some very interesting Caribbean dishes and good life music twice a week. Food could be better for the prices; in general I found most restaurants in town overrated and expensive for the quality - and I can say that we tried the best ones. Our best experiences were when we had dinner at the beach itself, barefoot - the setting makes the food better than it really is - we did it twice at the Mango Reef and at the Grace Bay Club. We had breakfast every day at the Mango Reef - service was slow-paced and confused, some days they forgot to bring the fruit, some others day it was the yogurt. But the mostly Filipino staff was extremely friendly, compensating for the mistakes. All in all, this is the Caribbean, and you have to adjust to "island time". Alexandra was a great choice; it was a very good deal compared with the ultra-expensive resorts that offer a level of luxury that in my opinion does not make sense, if what you really want to do is to relax at one of the best beaches in the world. We loved it so much that we acquired a timeshare and will go back there every year for the next 60 years for a fraction of what we paid this year. Final tip: ask for the honeymoon and romance package - you'll have continental breakfast enclosed, car for one day (not very useful) , dinner at the beach, couple massage (so-so), an unforgettable snorkel tour - all for ,much less that you would pay for each item in separate.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sergiohcriv
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Let's start with the positives - the Alexandra Resort is located on an amazing stretch of Grace Bay and the property is very well maintained and my room was absolutely fantastic - large and spacious, very well-appointed and the icing on the cake was a gorgeous balcony with ocean views.

With that being said, let's talk about the negatives. I have never been a guest ANYWHERE and felt so unwelcome. Upon arrival the front desk staff was laughing behind my back as I asked a couple of simple questions, the bartender overcharged me and was completely rude, the waiter at the restaurant took over a half hour to simply take my order. When I did visit the concierge, there was more attitude and an unwillingness to help or offer any advice. To top off the visit the front desk staff didn't book me a taxi as promised and as a result I almost missed my flight.

I would recommend this resort only if you can avoid any interaction with any of the folks that work there. The saving grace of this trip was the fact that there are many hotels that are along the beach (so I had other options for dining during the trip). For the money that I paid it was a true disappointment.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
19 Thank TraveltheWorldBK
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Traveled with a friend and had booked a deluxe ocean view with two twin beds. Upon arrival we were told our room was unavailable but we were upgraded to a one bedroom ocean view corner suite. I highly recommend getting an ocean view room because there's nothing like waking up to that gorgeous scene.

We walked up and down Grace Bay beach from Seven Seas Resort to Coral Gardens and the Alexandra beach area is BY FAR the best. It's the widest and appeared the longest with the exception of Beaches, which is like a crowded pool with beach chairs lined up in rows right next to each other- did not appear relaxing at all. The Alexandra was never crowded and the beach attendants are excellent. Also, the water itself is the best- calm and the perfect temp. The Regent Grand and Seven Seas beaches are smaller and not nearly as appealing. Alexandra's proximity to the coral reef probably makes the difference here. I can tell you that I would not have been as happy at the other resorts since I am a beach and water fanatic.

The Alexandra had the best breakfast, drink menu, and ocean view bar/restaurant. I have no idea why it's less expensive than the others resorts unless it's the proximity to shopping (10/15 minute walk but free shuttle to supermarket every day). Shopping in Provo is rather lame anyway as the very few shops are often open 10-5 and closed Sundays.

I would definitely choose the Alexandra over ANY other luxury resort.

Room Tip: 1306, 1406 are ocean view 1 bedroom corner suites with excellent proximity to reception, pool, beach...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank MarT0522
Setauket, New York
Reviewed March 23, 2012

My sister and I stayed here in December 2011, and really enjoyed the quiet solitude of the island. As far as the staff goes....Arnold was a 10 on a scale of 1-10... You were always greeted with a beautiful smile and quiet humor. I felt badly that we left the island without being able to say goodbye and to thank him personally. We shared a car rental with a couple we had met from Texas, which was great. We drove around the whole island which was gorgeous. The only thing I felt bad about was on day 2 of car rental we had mostly rain, so Chalk Sound was not as picturesque. I walked every morning to the east end of the island where I took awesome pictures. We walked via beach every night to a restaurant. I did not care for the mango restaurant..the drinks were watered down and pretty pricey. We went to the Conch shack which was great..I had never had conch before...it was delicious! We did have a favorite restaurant but I cannot recall the name..I will write an addendum when I remember name of it. The food is very expensive..definitely stock up at Iga after you land at Turks. The taxi van took us all to Iga before he took us to our designated hotels. Buy your liquor at the departing airport to save money.

Our room was booked thru vacation rentals.com...we had a studio corner unit on the 2nd floor with a partial view of the water. The room was beautifully decorated and perfect size...with a full size bed. The only suggestion I would give to the resort is to paint the side of the Mango rest in a tropical flair...it was an eyesore!

The other downside is departure from airport..there was a extremely long line that moved at a snails pace to check in.

I would definitely return to this beautiful island...it was my second time to the island...having stayed at Beaches in 1998...a lot of growth since then! I would have liked to have visited Middle Caicos. I

I blew up pictures of the beautiful turquoise waters and have it sitting on one of the desks at work....everyone has commented on this one particular picture, and several have suggested I photo enhanced the picture...we I most certainly did not!!!

Room Tip: Use vacation rentals by owner..I chose a beautifully decorated room!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Reade1972
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Rooms not ready after emailing us about our arrival time. Tubs block leaving you to shower in 8inches of water. We tried to plunge it don't even ask me what came up!!! yuck. You leave money for the cleaning people every day, they don't clean. Beach guys 5 stars. Numerous boats coming in and out, lets swim in gas!!!! People not staying at the resort go get towels and take our chairs on the beach and pool area, "do you think that would happen at any other resorts on the island". Sending people to the airport knowing that a strike is going on, just tells us let us sit at Mango and relax. Shame on the Alexandra for doing that!!!!! Not b*tching just telling the truth, thats what reviews are all about.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
21 Thank K M
AlexandraResort, Manager at Alexandra Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to the Alexandra Resort. We appreciate the kind feedback that you shared regarding our beach attendants.

The impact that the strike had on airport operations was very unfortunate for our visitors. We do need to dispute your claims that we sent guests to the airport with the knowledge that the airport was not opened. Our front desk team did an excellent job accommodating guests with delayed flights, and we did not send any guest to the airport until such time that we received an advisory from the Turks & Caicos Hotel and Tourism Assoc that the airport was open. A copy of that advisory can be made available.

We understand that characterizing the volume of boat traffic arriving and departing at the beach is subjective. Caicos Dream Tours operates boat excursions from a clearly identified boat zone adjacent to the beach that our guests enjoy. Caicos Dream Tours enjoys an excellent reputation in TCI for the manner in which they operate their tours and we normally do not receive any complaints about the number of tours they operate from the beach, or gasoline in the swimming waters.

I checked housekeeping records and we do not have any record of a clogged tub/shower. Our housekeeping staff would have been more than happy to assist if there was a problem with the drain. Sand clogs the drains easily, but we regularly monitor the drains during daily housekeeping. Please also note that we provide maid service twice daily in all of our units except for the timeshare building. There are instances when timeshare owners rent their unit privately to a guest, but do not explain that daily housekeeping is not part of the timeshare service program. (in this instance we provide cleaning twice a week, and daily towel, linen and garbage exchange).

Thank you for informing us that non paying guests used the beach facilities. All beachfront resort operators are faced with this challenge, but we will work to monitor the situation more closely. Fortunately, the number of chaises on the beach and towels almost always exceed our guest counts…and the few non paying guests that sometimes use our facilities!

We appreciated your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the Alexandra Resort.