“Fresh Catch if the Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Upstairs Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Upstairs Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, French, Bar, Pizza, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: French Caribbean cuisine done on the BBQ, well priced, quaint outdoor seating, bar scene and located in the heart of Grace Bay.
Providenciales
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh Catch if the Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Fresh fish on the grill, never frozen, local.
Open air to the Caribbean nights, a little breeze, grilled fish smelled great

Visited February 2013
1 Thank GeneralManagerports

Wellesley, Ma
“Not enough staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Decided to try this place for lunch; wish we had eaten downstairs at the Dive Bar. They are severely understaffed and it took well over an hour for our food to arrive - we go there at 1:30 and didn't leave until 3:30! We understand island time but this place only had one waitress, there was no bartender (our drinks took almost an hour to arrive), and it seemed like there was one cook in the back and one who worked the grill (plus helped at the bar and clearing tables). Once it arrived, the food was pretty good and hot. If you are looking for large portions, this place is not for you. My husband had the jerk chicken wrap and it was tiny! My son go the jerk chicken and at least it came with 2 sides to make up for the small piece of chicken he got.

As I write this review, I really don't understand why we stayed. Maybe we felt sorry for the staff who were trying their best but just could not handle it all by themselves. I don't expect this restaurant to last unless the owner hires some staff and actually puts a manager on duty.

• Visited February 2013
Morristown, New Jersey
“Food matches the surroundings”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Ate at Upstairs on our first night of our first trip to TCI. Below average. My jerk chicken was reasonably spiced, but I needed a dissecting microscope to tease meat away from bones. My wife's grilled fish sandwich was poor- fish filet was tough. Rice and peas not bad. Maybe we should have stuck with pizza or a burger. Certainly not a great start to our TCI trip.

• Visited February 2013
San Diego
“Friendly Service and Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We didn't expect the food to be that good and so well presented! It was a nice surprise. The fish sandwich was very good, and the catch of the day (grouper) fresh and tasty. The only negative thing, was that the dishes are exposed to the wind, and when you get your plate, the food is on the cold side unfortunately!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Dom-Michelle
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Missing Calico Jack's!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I’ve been coming to Provo EVERY YEAR for over 10 years now and have always enjoyed my dining experiences. This, however, was the one experience that was a true disaster. One of my favorite things to do when I come back every year is to try the newest restaurants! I had looked at the menu online prior to going and had found a number of dishes appealing. I went there for dinner one night with three family members looking forward to the atmosphere that I had always been accustomed to when it was Calico Jack’s- an open deck with big wooden table &chairs and an INCREDIBLE breeze. We were seated as soon as we arrived and I was immediately in shock at what this place had turned into- flimsy plastic table & chairs with a makeshift grilling area. The open deck that used to be had a pergola in place which had eliminated the breeze and made the restaurant feel like an oven. I was surprised the plastic hadn’t melted. (The reason for the pergola: Calico Jack’s had been robbed a significant number of times by people jumping over the side rails into the parking lot below. The criminals were never caught and the owners were losing a lot of money, which is why this location was up for sale for a number of years.) Nevertheless, I was SO EXCITED to try the food. It took 10 minutes for our waitress (the only waitress there) to show up and take our drink orders. I should have taken this as an indication of how the night was to play out. We got our drinks within minutes and placed our dinner orders- no appetizers, just entrees. After 40 minutes of waiting, we asked our waitress if the food would be coming shortly. She said yes. We figured that the food was one of many on the overfilled grill. We then waited an additional 35 minutes. By that point, we were starving. We looked around and saw that people seated prior to us were just getting their food. All of the dishes we ordered were to be made on the grill, but when I looked over, the grill was completely empty and the guy that had been grilling was nowhere to be found. In addition to that, there were no plates on the line waiting to be taken out to customers. We were fed up. We asked the waitress for the check, to which she rudely started yelling that our food was coming. When we asked her to show it to us, she scampered away and refused to bring us our bill. Either the kitchen was really backed up with orders or she forgot to place ours. We put down $20 and left. It was so late at that point that no restaurants were open. We ended up buying a frozen pizza at the IGA and going back to our hotel. Now I understand that every table was occupied and that there was a party of 8 at one, but that’s not an excuse for neglecting customers for over an hour. This place is significantly understaffed- only one waitress and NO MANAGER? Not smart. And the grill was not big enough to provide food for an entire restaurant, especially when most of the items on the menu are to be grilled. It’s the type you have at home for a family of four or so. This place needs to change or else it will end up like Calico Jack’s- not in existence.

• Visited October 2012