“Good value -- calm and unpretentious”
Review of Ocean Club West

Ocean Club West
Ranked #14 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good value -- calm and unpretentious”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent 8 nights there in early March 2013. The junior suite was more than adequate for 2 adults, 1 teen and 1 child. It was quiet ... which was exactly what we wanted: a place right on the beach without all the usual pressured resort antics.

The room was slightly dated, but the kitchen was fully equipped and the bed very comfy. The balcony was "ocean view" -- but since we were at the back of the property, more "view" and less "on the ocean." It didn't matter. We used the OCW as a base to explore from.

The Seaside restaurant closed rather too early -- from 9:30 pm onwards, if you want something to drink, you had better have brought something to the room. Or go next door. Or to the little dive bar 5 minutes walk away.

One day we went fishing and brought grouper back for the restaurant to prepare for us. The Canadian chef did a wonderful job and it was the best fish we had during our entire visit. The restaurant also charged us enough that I would not do that again. There are communal grills and with a little planning I could do this myself.

The beach was wonderful. Easily as good as anywhere on the island. The pool .. why would you swim in the pool when this top 10 beach is right there?

I think that it would be even better to come here with a couple of families.

Room Tip: If you spend a lot of time on the balcony or in your room, cough up and get closer to the water.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Brett L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Summit, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had enjoyed our stay a lot. It was a perfect setting in the perfect location. Its a short walk away from different shops and restaurants. There are also several bikes for the guest to use, which were very helpful. The grounds are well kept and the pool is nice. There is plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas. The units are well kept, although outdated somewhat. Regardless, the layout is great (we stayed in a 2 br/2.5 bath) and are very spacious. Fully equipped kitchen, washer&dryer and 2 screened-in terraces were great. The staff was very nice and the cleaning ladies were very sweet and attentive. Overall, its a great place for families, very low key and great value. Seaside cafe was not great in regards to both food and service. Take a short walk to the Regent Village and eat at The Vix. For the same $, you get a great experience and amazing food. Overall, I would highly recommend this place for families and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Get 3rd floor, pool or beach view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Natalya P
Oconomowoc, WI
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our 5th year at OCW. Yes, it is older than its extremely expensive high end neighbors, but it has one of the best locations on Grace Bay beach. Low rise, 3 story buildings give you very easy to the pool & beach--no walking thru a lobby or taking an elevator. Very well kept but not luxurious studios, junior suites, plus1,2,or 3 bedroom units. Full kitchens and large, sceened verandas. Also gas grills available on an island in the pool for your use.

The grounds are beautifully landscaped with a great river pool that winds around and gives you little hideaway nooks for privacy. The restaurant/bar is located right on the beach, part covered, and part open deck next to the sand, and is open for breakfast, lunch & dinner. The beach is wide, soft white sand with enough beach chairs and umbrellas for all. Tennis court, bikes are available. It is walking distance to IGA, shops, and many restaurants.

You can rent water activities on the beach--kayaks, sailboats, parasailing, tubing, banana boats, stand-up paddle boards---no jet skis which keeps it quiet.

After traveling to the Caribbean for 20+ years we finally found the place for us. We appreciate having the ability to have breakfast and late afternoon wine & snacks on our balcony and then be able to walk to most of our dinner places at night.

This is the perfect place for couples or families on the best beach in the Caribbean. If I had to list any thing that's missing it would be walk-in snorkeling. The sand is so pristine that you won't find many fish in the area. It's actually like a swimming pool with sand.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a junior suite and/or a beach or pool view.
5 Thank Paytons
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I returned to Ocean Club West last month after staying there in 2012. The staff noted our repeat stay and thanks us for returning. They also upgraded our room and provided a bottle of wine upon check-in. What a terrific surprise!
The tennis courts are great, using the bikes can get a little competitive, and staff is very nice and friendly.

When we return to TCI, we will always stay here.

Room Tip: Third floor catches the cool breezes thru the island
3 Thank DonZak
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This property is one of the older properties on Grace Bay. It is a combination of Junior Suites as well as 1/2/3 bedroom Condos. The Condos are very well maintained and seem to have been updated. They are not as spiffy as some of their newer neighbors along the beach; they are also not as expensive.
The grounds surrounding the condo are beautifully landscaped and maintained. Food is available at the beach bar all day long.
The people who staff the front desk are unbelievably patient, kind and helpful. I can't say enough about their genuine efforts to cater to all of our needs. Gold stars for them!!!

The beach area here is a problem. When the Hotel is at full capacity, it is too crowded.
The beach was over run with infants in baby carriages, toddlers, kids and toys everywhere.
It felt like a mix of a day care center and an unsupervised school yard.
It was hard to walk without getting caught in the middle of some sort of game, sand castle or monstrous beach toys.
It was impossible to escape the mayhem on the beach.
If you were lucky, you were able to get a glimpse of the water which was usually blocked by all of the above.
The other Hotels on the Beach did not seem so crowded or out of control.

There seems to be no rules, no order, no place for those people who unknowingly came to the Ocean Club just to enjoy the beach. There is chaos everywhere.
We would certainly not return to The Ocean Club West.

Pro: This is an logical choice for multi-generational, child-centered family groups.

Con: There are better choices on Grace Bay for those looking for a peaceful vacation on a gorgeous beach

Room Tip: If you do go, request a second or third floor room. This will give you more privacy. Note: Room ser...
3 Thank Deb G
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was our first trip to Providenciales as a family; coming here as my Christmas gift to my 12 yr old niece and nephew twins to learn to scuba dive. We rented a private cottage for the first time using Trip Advisor reviews - disaster. Tired, hot, kids cranky and very disappointed, we walked a few quick steps to Ocean Club West and found they had one room that met our needs. We were unfortunately desperate. We needed clean 2 bedroom with kitchen. We got a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with kitchen. The people on site were wonderfully helpful; with full occupancy they had to juggle which they did. For us 2 days later we landed a very basic, very expensive 2 bed, 2 1/2 ba unit that took 2-3 days to clean. I really don't like to have hair and bathroom floor sticky with who knows what. We are now on day 5 and we have sheets and towels that don't smell of someone's oily hair. The room is nicely located except the other guests are straight out of Atlantis/ Nassau - they do not care who uses the common ammenities after them. So you spend an hour cleaning the grill, on your way to the garbage can you are picking up people's garbage so you don't step on it, you are avoiding the cigar smells from the people on the beach (I don't understand how someone can smoke on a beautiful beach like Grace Bay) But everything is so largesse. There are the hawkers for windsurfing, parasailing, banana boat dragging? et al. I am not used to this type of entertainment. Maybe it is the island - our flight attendant told us she moved away as a result of all the development.
The restaurants are average at best - we found a few diamonds in the rough. The outlying beaches are difficult to find - but one can breathe and relax and enjoy the beautiful the water.
We did get the kids certified which was indeed the highlight- go with Provo Turtle Divers. They are the best and most qualified.
Rent a car if you want to see the island. The locals are great.

Room Tip: We were in Sea Breeze right on the water. The accommodations are basic, right on the water and once...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jaye M
New York
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Came to this interesting and controversial island with very high expectations after reading many fantastic reviews and hearing many good stories. After all a room at a decent (but not luxury hotel) costs here $400 per night. Ocean Club West was nice, cozy, clean, but I wouldn't call it luxurious by any means, that is why I won't give it 4 stars, but only 3. I don't really have any complains about the hotel, except that the restaurant staff wasn't very attentive. The hotel is a condo style: you get a tiny kitchen and your own washer and dryer in a studio suite, but everything is pretty simple. There are no added features that could justify the cost. From what I learnt there are no or very few all-inclusives on T&C like in Mexico, Puerto Rico or many other touristy beach destinations, so here you pay for your meals, and the price is very high. And it is not just the restaurant food you pay a premium on, it is everything: clothing, groceries, services, souvenirs. They make it feel as if everything was very exclusive, while it is all pretty average and not different in any way from things you find in places like Mexico at half or even 1/3 the price. Ther are just a few small restaurants in the vicinity of my resort, and you have to make a reservation way in advance to go there for dinner. Those places get packed after 7 pm, as there is not much competition. The good is ok. I've eaten better on my vacation. There is a nice little cute French bakery, and a tiny deli store, where they can make you a sandwich or a salad and pour you a glass of not-so-good white wine, which they forget to chill, which you can enjoy on their patio. And that is it. Those places practically have a monopoly. It is all cute, cozy, very island-like, but not posh, luxurious or exclusive you would expect from an upscale island. Ph, and you can't really walk around. I wanted to explore the island on foot. Bad idea! There is just a road and a small sidewalk you walk on, and the you have unattended shrubs on both sides along the road. Nothing to see. The island is poor and undeveloped.
So, there is not much variety, there is no nightlife and no shopping on tnis island. Not that I care about those things. I didnt come here for nightlife or shopping, I came for the beach and diving, and I was pretty happy with both, but I'd say if you are willing to pay this kind of money, go to Aruba, St Marteen, any of those nice European islands with great shopping and many different attractions.
The famous Grace Beach, referred to in many reviews as 'the best beach in the world' didn't seem to be any better than the beach I stayed at in Riviera Maya, Mexico. The only advantage of the Grace Beach is that it is wide and ling and consistently good along a very long sttch of land, while in Riviera Maya you could be at a perfectly clean sand-only spot, and the walk half-amile along the beach to come across rocks and lots of seaweed on the shore and in the water.
So I wanted to do my research to find out why the island was so expensive and why it was considered to be so unique. I talked to the locals, a few business owners, and I read some stuff on the internet. Found some intersting facts that explain through-the-roof prices and all the hype about this place. First of all, everything gets imported from the States, and the shipping costs and duty fees are pretty high. The import tariff is about 30%. So the vndors and business owners pretty much have to double the price to make money. Second of all, the island is considered to be exclusive because there are no mega resorts here. The island itself is small, and so it does not cater to a mass tourist market, like Mexico or Dominican Republic do. They want to limit the demand by limitting the supply. This place doesn't have economies of scale, just like it doesn't have massive all-inclusive resorts. But there will always be tourists on this island: white, middle and upper class, with good jobs, looking for exclusivity, even if that exclusivity simply means paying a premium on everything, which a wide mass of people wouldn't be able or willing to do. So if you pay up it will distinguish your from the wide masses, right? Also, while the beach might not be better than many of those in Aruba or Mexico, since the resorts are small, and the beach is long and wide, you almost get a feeling of getting your own private beach.

Cool things and interesting facts:
Conch and all kinds of dishes made out of conch are very popular here. And it is pretty good comparing to some other places I tried conch at. I had at least 4 different types of meals with conch: conch chowder, conch salad, conch peruvean-style seviche, conch

The diving was awesome here. I swam with reef sharks for the first time in my life, big turtles, and saw lots of very exotic bright fish covered in unusual patterns. Saw a fish that was changing its color from bright purple to emetald green. Realized once again that the best and most creative artist is Nature

They drive on the left side here. T&C Are a British territory, so you'll see some of their customs come directly from UK. Couldn't get used to it. I thought I was going to get hit by a car, as I kept looking left everytime while crossing a road, instead if looking right

There are only white tourists here! Having lived in NY for 14 yeras, I am so used to seeing many diffent colors and nationalities coexisting next to each other. Well, you will not see them here. What made me feel more awkward is that all the service personnel at the resorts consists of African people. So it sort of feels like being in America 300 years ago, especially knowing that these Africans got here a few centuries ago by means of Spanish slave trade. The funny part of my stay was related to an incident, when I thought I didnt have hot water and couldnt figure out how to work a thermostat, and a cute little old african cleaning lady showed me. It was simple. It was embarrasiing:)
​Overall I am very happy to be in a warm place with beautiful turqoise water and white sand. Finally I was able to unwind and relax, being away from the daily pressures of my job and cold and grey New York weather.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo