“Studio very disappointing”

The Atrium Resort
Northville, Michigan
“Studio very disappointing”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

The studio condo has NO patio or balcony! Our view was the cleaning closet and the elevator. We had to keep the curtains fully closed or else anyone walking down the hall could view inside. The lights from the outside hallway brightened the room at night so that I had to sleep with the pillow over my head. The microwave turntable was missing. The fridge had no freezer so we could not make ice. The room was newly decorated but there was no room for a comfortable chair to sit in. I would never rent the studio again.

Room Tip: Any room but the studios would have been great.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank NAP2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
bethlehem, pa
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Atrium is the perfect spot for a quiet, relaxing vacation. We rented a first floor unit with 1 bedroom and a den. The accommodations included 2 full baths, a bedroom, den (with sleeper sofa) and living room with sleeper, full kitchen and patio. Can not tell you how much we enjoyed opening the doors and walking to the pool every day. The resort is very clean and staff attentive. Cannot say enough good things about The Atrium. It is a walk to the beach..so what you are on vacation...what else do you have to do?

Things you should know about T&C

Rent a car- the Atrium is at Eastern end of the Island and hard to get to things without a car
Supermarket- is very expensive...very! Bring food if you plan to cook in your room.
Restaurants- you have to work for your food here. Not all restaurants can be easily found. Most are located off the beaten path. Hidden gems!
Rent a Scooter- Bayside Car Rental- new to the island had a blast touring the island and tanning at the same time

Try Baci, Lemon Cafe and Tiki Hut!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank robyn620
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 12, 2012

fantastic condo, great kitchen, comfortable bed, 2 baths, gorgeous pool, 5 min walk to the beach, close to town but far away from the crowds. you must rent a car, so many beautiful places to see around the island. reefs to explore especially in turtle cove, smiths reef had the best snorkeling. so sad im back in ny

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank toepick30
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We had a wonderful at the atrium resort. My hsband 2 kids and myself. The resort staff was very nice , they also gave us a ride to the grocery the very first day because we did not have a car. You need a car in Turks and Caicos no matter where you stay, cabs are too expensive and a car is safe to drive. The island is very safe , we went everywhere and just met very nice people. It is a family oriented type pf tourism and even at the atrium resort there are a lot of families with kids. very easy to make friends. The apartment was excellent. Very nice furiniture, marble bathroom, tv, plates, pleanty of towels , hair dryer, tv ..... all you may need for a short stay. Again the resort is very safe and the security guard was always watching around. The beach was only 5 minute walk from the resort. But again you need a car to explore other beaches in the island. If you have a family the apartment option is the best because you can cook your own food. Restaurants are very expensive. Food in general is very expensive because all imported.
Watch out for sand fleas at the beach they will eat you live ! do not go there without oil and/or mosquito spray. I would not bring a bay or toddler to the beach for this reason. Unless they go straight in the water but do not have them sit in the sand for too long. The rash caused by these fleas can last over 2 weeks ad is very itching.

Room Tip: rooms at ground level have direct access to the pool ... very convenient
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Christine S
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed here for almost 2 weeks in April-May 2011. I loved it! I wouldn't necessarily refer to the Atrium as a 'resort'. The rooms are comparable to a 5* resort I have stayed at in the Mayan Riviera (Grand Sunset Princess). They are modern, new and comfortable with a large bathroom with tub ensuite and a half bath in the hall. There is a washer and dryer (stained my white bathing suit but could be the local water) which was convenient. The kitchen had everything we needed. We were ground level which had a nice patio that you could walk right out to the pool. The pool was lovely! There was also a hot tub. Neither were ever busy and they never kicked us out at of the pool if we wanted to take a quiet late night dip. There is a gym with 2 treadmills, 2 steppers, 2 bikes, an elliptical (I think) and a universal gym. The gym also had a tv and water cooler. I believe you could access it anytime with your card.

It's true there was not a lot of service and it was hard to find someone in the office but we did not really need them so that was fine with us. In fact I liked that you didn't feel watched all the time. There were always maids around and the security guard was always walking around but they generally left you alone (the security guard had to tell me that I had to use plastic cups by the pool). There is wireless internet that works best on the patio and not so well inside due to the hurricane glass doors (so they say). There was also a cell phone provided for local calls which we never used but took with us in case we broke down somewhere secluded on the island.

There is a little cafe...more like a room where they sell you small items like coffee, snacks and ice cream. There are some other rooms in the main building that are obviously intended for something in the future. A few days before we left they started construction in one of these rooms and said it was going to be a restaurant. There is also a swim up bar...well it is physically there but there is nothing in it and it is not staffed. One night we saw the owner entertaining guests there with music, drinks and take out...I guess guests could do the same.

There is free parking and a car is definitely needed (Grace Bay Rentals). The Atrium is a little ways from the heart of things. You could also rent a bicycle. The island is relatively flat and it is not really that far to restaurants and shops but in the heat it could seem like a very long ride! There is a night time security post for the community which is nice.

The beach is about a 5 min walk away (although we had a hard time finding it, we thought we were lost for a second). The beach is lovely but not the nicest on the island and it was a bit windy that day so the sand was tough on the face. I'm used to finding beach chair vendors on the beaches in the Caribbean but there wasn't any on the beaches of Provo. and I visited almost all of them! I would have packed beach blankets or more sarongs if I had known. Bring your own snorkel gear because, like the beach chairs, rentals are hard to find.

The Atrium is a great affordable place to stay in Provo. The other hotels/resorts that are in the same price range are more like 3* hotels. They are more like rooms instead of a full condo. The furnishings are not as modern. It came down to an extra $50 for a lot more room, bigger pool, gym and modern furnishings at the Atrium. If your looking for a Resort with service, this is not it. For me all the things I dislike about resorts were not an issue at the Atrium (no crowds, no pesky security telling you you can't do that, no pool closure times, no gym closure times, no over crowded beach chairs and no buffets!) The Atrium is self-catering for sure.

Oh, food can be pricey but I am from Northern (Arctic) Canada and I found it the same as home. There is a gourmet grocery store at the junction near the Atrium but you're best to go to the main grocery store on Leeward Highway.

I would recommend the Atrium to anyone. In fact, I am going back there in a couple weeks with some girlfriends (so then I can comment on the sofa bed :). I would stay at the Atrium every time. I'm worried that once they get everything completed (swim up bar and restaurants) that the Atrium will no longer be so affordable...til then, I'm a loyal guest!

Room Tip: There are 3 condo buildings. I stayed in the middle one. It had good light. The building on the gym...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank doubleosting
Freehold, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We recently stayed (2 couples with kids)at the Atrium in a one bedroom with den condo.The property is one year old,our condo was very spacious, modern with new appliances.Beatiful and huge pool with separate private hot tub.The resort is not on the beach, its just 5 min walk but the beach was not only beatiful with calm crystal clear water but the best thing was that you could walk for miles and not see any people on it.The property manager Alex was the best in helping us not only live thru hurricane Irene,but also by recommending the things to do and enjoy on the island.The restaurants food was great.With just a few minutes ride there is a bakery and supermarket,so the car rental is a must,which Alex also arranged for us and the car was brought right to the resort.We all enjoyed our stay on the island and especially at the Atrium resort.We would come back there 100%.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Leon69_11
NEW JERSEY
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We just came back from Turks and stayed at Atrium in a one bedroom plus a den unit. The property is new and is well-maintained. The pool is huge. It doesn't have a gym or cafe. It has an underground parking. I feel very safe on the property since there is a security guard on site. I think all apartments are furnished. It comes with washer and dryer which makes it easy for us since we are travelling with younger children. The property manager we used was very courteous. We were supposed to be there two days earlier, however, our flight was cancelled due to Hurricane Irene and we notified them right away. They said no problem and let them know once we had reschedule our flights. Everything was perfect. We were greeted by their assistant when we got to the property. The walk to the beach isn't very close. We have rented a car and were able to go to a different beach. There is a supermarket, Graceway Gourmet, about 10 mins drive from Atrium. The island itself is beautiful. It's not crowded but couple of the restaurants which we wanted to try were closed. We ate at Coco Bistro-great atmosphere and food especially the coconut creme pie, Hemingways-beautiful view. Need to bring tons of bug sprays for both restaurants. As far as local food, we like the Holes in the wall the best. Tiki Hut has BBQ ribs and chicken on Wednesday nights if you like BBQ.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family