“Sands Review” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Charlotte
“Sands Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2007

Day 1 Arrived and was greeted as soon as we got outside by a Sands Agent (she was very nice and very friendly). Equally as nice was the gentleman who drove us back to the hotel he even dropped me at hertz so I could rent a car while he took the others back to the hotel. Mind you we have 2 families both of which have small children 2 and 4 years old.
When we got there we got what appeared to be the requested 3 bedroom oceanfron deluxe suite. The only problem was that the second bedroom I though had a queen not a double bed. There was only one king and the 3rd room had a sleeper sofa (terrible as sleeper sofas go) We had them bring up 2 roll a ways for the kids. So all in all the arrival was not bad excep we knew the sleeping arrangements were going to be screwy. So beware of the 3 bedroom sleeping arrangments. The other thing we noticed was a ton of remodeling this was a sign of things to come. I will say the view and location of the room was awsome. Great for 1 big family especially with small kids. The beach is 100% the best ever in my book. My son said it best when we got out there "this is a dream come true". Interestingly when we went up for dinner we were lacking wash clothes the phones were unplugged and it seemed as if just before we arrived they put down new granit and started doing work on some cabinetry. Dinner at Hemingways that evening was average at best sunset and location were great. Day 2 Great day at the beach but we noticed very early that there was going to be construction all during our stay this was very concerning. Concerning because we had been told that the construction was going to start in the fall and the resot was going to be shut down. Beaware this is not the case. If noise on you vacation does not bother you then no big deal. Well of course its nap time for the kids in the afternoon and wouldnt you know it, mowing trimming but worst of all drilling nailing and sawing graite was taking place under our room and outside the room. We called the desk and they did have it stopped but all during our stay, even though we noticed a difference the construction continued. of course. I aprrciate a phone call from time to time to check up on stuff but thses guys were calling at all the wrong hours. We had an opportunity to go to the Palms, T and C club, and Point Grace for dinner. Thanks Karis for your help setting up the resreations. It also le us look at other properties. One fair statement I will make is that this place is very fair. They knew they made a mistake they did what was right to fix it. Aside from a few hour power failure some issues with peoplecoming in and out of our room which we thought was strange. A guy even came in looking for tools under the master bed. Lack of toilet paper or putting a new roll on during the room servicing the vacation was good. I tried to understand this place is not trying to compete with the 5 star resorts. I will tell you though with a little work some better service, understanding your clientele a tiny bit better, the sands can be a solid 4 star resort and most importanly a fun, relaxing, and unpretentious place. I think we came at a rough time for the hotel and caught them on a bad few days. Kendra thanks for keeping your word on the 3 night stay 4th free as advertised.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2007

We had a very enjoyable honeymoon at The Sands at Grace Bay. I cannot wait to go back, and usually I do not stay at the same place twice. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite that we found very spacious. The private screened-in patio was very nice.

Grace Bay beach is the most beautiful beach I have ever experienced. The magnificent beach is the reason I chose the Turks and Caicos and my high expectations were exceeded. The quality of the sand (white, talcum powder soft) and of the water (crystal clear, pristine, brilliant colour) is amazing.

The staff was very polite, kind, respectful and helpful to us.

We really enjoyed our meals at Hemingway's. The Grouper Creole was one of our favorite dishes. Having dinner on the patio outdoors at night was lovely.

We also made use of our in-suite kitchen and the shuttle to IGA. It was nice to have a quick breakfast or quick lunch and get right back to the beach!

The beach was so beautiful that we spent zero time in the pools or hot tub - but those were lovely and the grounds were very well kept and manicured. We did not do any tours either, as we could not tear ourselves away from Grace Bay Beach. We did go to Coral Gardens to snorkel one day though.

I am so glad I chose The Sands at Grace Bay because when we went there was no construction or nearby resorts on either side of The Sands. It really did feel like you had the beach to yourself a lot of the time. I really liked the quiet elegance of the resort and I'm glad it was not flashy or tacky like Beaches.

The Sands resort sits on a very fine portion of Grace Bay beach. The distance from the beach chairs to the water is very large -- unlike some other resorts I walked by. I like having a wide and long beach, in terms of the amount of sand. The palapas and beach chairs were very nice and we made use of the towel hut.

I would recommend Grace's Cottage at Point Grace for a romantic dinner. It is walking distance from The Sands. Just remember to wear bug spray, as I forgot, and got a few bites. We ate outdoors in the gardens with tiki torches, it was very romantic.

This vacation, our honeymoon, was the best vacation I have ever experienced. It is because the beach itself is so beautiful. We spent long days on that beach from 7am to 5pm and enjoyed watching the sun set. We did not want to leave the beach when we were on it or get out of the ocean when we were in it! I really hope to go back someday.

• Liked — Located directly on Grace Bay Beach
  • Disliked — I can't really think of anything.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank BestBeaches
minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2007

This is long overdue as we stayed at The Sands Feb 28-Mar 6th. My husband and I were traveling with another couple. I will begin with the service because this was a major concern of ours prior to going. We gave up our annual trip to Hawaii so in the back of my mind I was thinking this better be good.

Service: I have to say , Mr. Beswick (general manager) and his staff really get the meaning of customer service. From check in to check out we experienced nothing but the best. Kendra who I am assuming was part of the management team and Caress (concierge) were exceptionally oustanding. We never encountered the coldness that some of the other travelers seemed to have experienced. In fact, we received at least 4 calls throughout the week to see how we were doing.

Room: We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit in building 4. We were on the third floor so had some good exercise all week. The view from the balcony was okay. I had called prior to our arrival to change to an oceanfront unit but they were sold out. The accomodations were clean and comfortable but some updating/upgrading does need to be done. The housekeeping staff wasn't always consistent but it was never bothersome nor did I dwell on it. This is why I gave a rating of 4. How come there aren't any brooms left in the unit? I have this thing about sand being tracked around. It was nice having the kitchen and laundry facilities. Upon arrival we stocked up at the IGA for breakfast foods, snacks and beverages. The little convenience store at the Sands came in handy for the few things that we ran out of. But...the negative was that it didn't open until 9am.

Hemingways: We ate 3 lunches and 3 dinners there. The food was very consistent. My absolute favorite which I had twice, was the Shrimp Pasta. Also had the grouper, grouper tacos and bbq quesadilla. Nice touches were the managers reception and the music nights.

Pool/Grounds/Beach: I only took a dip in the pool one afternoon which was fine. The grounds were well maintained. Never saw anything out of place. The beach, YES, it is a nice as everyone says. I'm still in shock that considering we were there during prime time the beaches at any of the resorts (except Beaches)
weren't busy. We were able to get an umbrella all but one of the days and there were plenty of towels. By the end of the week I had become quite fond of the rum punch. We walked along the beach to Coral Gardens with no problems. We only walked as far as the Seven Stars in the other direction.

Overall: My friend and I walked through the Palms and it's shops one afternoon and the atmosphere was so sterile and quiet. It was like where are all of the people? Another day we had a drink at the pool bar at the Somerset which was very nice but again a little on the quiet side. In my opinion, the Sands was the perfect choice for us. I think for the price we paid it was great value compared to the neighboring resorts. We will definately return there.

Stayed March 2007
9 Thank mnlakes
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2007

This is a good choice of hotels if staying on Grace Bay. The rooms were clean. In fact the maids came in the early evening to bring more complimentary bottled water and made the room up again if needed. The hotel grounds were also well kept. And of course the beach is fantastic. Have to get there early if you want a beach umbreala though.

Hemingways, the hotels resturant, had the best beach view along Grace Bay. It was also the most inexpensive ($10 for a hamburger and fries) and the food was decent (Friday's, Chili's quality). I had heard that there was live music on Thursdays and Fridays so I was excited to have a few drinks and relax to a good band. Well, turns out it was only a one man band. He was OK, but I was expecting more.

The snorkling off the beach in front of the hotel was not that great. Saw a sting ray, conch, starfish, crabs, sand dollars, some fish, but mostly just sand. However, go out to the beach make a left and walk about 20 minutes (about 5-10 minutes past Beaches resort) and you come to an area where there is coral just off the beach. This area is much better. Saw sea turtles (apparently they are there often) and lots of other sea life. Watch out for the fire coral! Look it up on the internet and make sure you dont touch any of it.

• Liked — Great Beach
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CarolinaMetallurgist
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2007

Grace Bay in Provo is one of the most beautiful beaches on earth. The Sands at Grace Bay has beautiful grounds, great restaurant, very family friendly, great service, BUT our room was unacceptable. Room 3308 was a studio ocean view, with a fabulous view of the water from our comfortable screened-in terrace. We were on the third floor. The so called studio was actually one bedroom with a living room with pull out couch, so it was roomy, however it was a bit shabby, in need of updating, furniture worn out and uncomfortable, and every day we had problems which were not repaired. The closet sliding doors fell off the track if you tried to open or close them. They would also stick and I smashed my fingers one day trying to open them. The Sands sent someone to fix the problem, but they could not, so we just had to deal and leave them open off the trak. The bathroom had a constant slow flood from the closet -- also not repaired, just towels put down on top to sop up the water, which was not very nice. Our toilet stopped up and we were told to wait two hours until the plumber came to work. We asked for a plunger and fixed it ourselves. Then the lock on the door broke, and we almost could not get into our room one night. Even the night desk person had trouble opening the door. The lock spun around in the door. The water heater in the bathroom closet was very loud and would bang from time to time, so you can imagine our sleep was disrupted with this. The bed was so hard and uncomfortable we had to request that they put three or four mattress pads on the bed under the sheets to make it better, which the hotel did. The hotel was fully booked, so we could not change rooms, or even upgrade at our own expense. We were just stuck there.
So, overall the beach, the island, the swimming, the grounds were wonderful, but the room was a disaster. There is a great deal of building up of Grace Bay, with very large condo-hotels up and down th Bay. I think we will go back in about five years, stay somewhere else, and see how this paradise fares the construction.

• Liked — The grounds, the beach and the restaurant
  • Disliked — The room and service to repair/fix or move us.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank DianaBNewYork
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2007

I'm mystified by the smattering of bad reviews that I've seen. If I had read them before I booked, I'm not sure that I would have gone. We had a great time at the Sands. The rooms are big and nicely sound-proofed. It feels very private. The beach is everything it is said to be -- amazingly beautiful and really not crowded.

Most of the bad reviews revolved around the service. My experience was -- politeness was responsed with by politeness, rudeness was responded with by coldness. Turks and Caicos is not a service oriented culture. If you expect too much you will be disappointed. The Sands was no different than anywhere else.

The Sands had a nice family vibe. If you want a zoo-like atmosphere -- go to Beaches. If you want quiet and laid back -- go to The Sands.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank dmw5657
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2007

We spent five nights in a 2 BR, OV unit at the Sands. Our unit was very nice. It has been recently redone and was in great condition. I requested a room in Building 3 in advance of our trip and they were able to accommodate the request (although, that wasn't guarenteed). Our room was very clean. The deck/patio was screened in, which made sitting out there, especially in the evenings, very nice and bug-free! We found the staff at the Sands to be very pleasant and professional....from the housekeepers to the maintenance man to the pool/beach guys. Everyone was very nice! We did need to call for maintenance one afternoon when our bathroom sink would not drain and within a few minutes, the maintenance man was knocking on the door and fixed the problem. Very quick response time!

Grace Bay beach is absolutely beautiful! If your main focus to visit T&C is for a stunning beach, you will not be disappointed! The sand is soft and white, the water - so many different shades of blue. The Sands is located on a wide section of the beach. With no resorts on either side of the Sands, the beach never feels crowded at all. The beach chairs looked new and in excellent condition. Since we were here during a spring break week, it was necessary to come out early to claim a beach hut. The Sands also had umbrellas and other half-moon shades that they put out to help with shade on the beach. We took one of the Hobie Cats out a couple of times - it was a lot of fun! One of the beach attendents will show you what to do, if you are not familiar. Ladies from Hemingways came around to get your drink order every once in a while, otherwise, you could go to Hemingways to order drinks - not a far walk at all. The gardens were nice as was the pool. The pool near the beach was great - the other pools were fine, could use some maintenance.

We had beautiful weather in Turks. Out of the 5 1/2 days that we were there, we only had to clear off the beach for 2 afternoons, which was fine since the family needed a break from the sun anyway. After a few hours, the weather cleared for a beautiful sunset and our evening walk on the beach.
Most of our days were spent on the beach. The kids played in the water, we borrowed sand toys from the beach attendants, snorkeled a couple of times at Coral Gardens, and used the Hobie Cat. It was a great, relaxing vacation.

We did do a 1/2 day snorkeling trip with Caicos Dream Tours. Our guides were friendly and we thought that they did a very nice job with the excursion. We went to a reef for snorkeling, to a shallow area for conch diving and then to Half Moon beach. That beach was spectacular!

For dinner, we ate at Bay Bistro our first night and at Hemingways several times for lunch and dinner. Both were very good. Hemingways was a fun place to be the nights that there was live entertainment (Tues., Thurs. and Friday). Very lively and festive. Our best meal was at Coco Bistro. Excellent quality and very pretty setting. A couple of nights, we walked to Salt Mills plaza for ice cream at Island Scoop - excellent Chunky Monkey (homemade) ice cream! We also used the Sands shuttle to IGA to stock up on breakfast and lunch items to supplement some of the snacks that I brought from home.

We did not rent a car because it was our first time here and we wanted to maximize our time at Grace Bay. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. It was nice walking on the beach after dinner. Bring a flashlight. We encountered other people walking on the beach at night too. We used the beach access to get to Salt Mills and out to Coco Bistro. Cars do drive very fast on that main road! There were not many people at all walking along the sidewalk...not sure why, maybe most people rent cars and drive.

We did not have a problem with bug bites because we always used OFF! before we went out in the evening.
Take twice as much sunscreen as you think you're going to need! We found that the Blue Lizard brand seems to stick to your skin really well, especially if you're in and out of the water alot. Also, make dinner reservations if you are here during a busy time (unless you are happy to have a late dinner!).

Overall, we had a excellent vacation in T&C and look forward to returning someday soon!

Stayed April 2007