“Sands is Great!”

The Sands at Grace Bay
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed March 1, 2007

We just returned from one week at the Sands. We had read a number of less than favorable review of this resort and were sceptical. We LOVED the Sands. It's laid back, professionally managed with excellent, friendly staff especially Carris (concierge) and the restaurant staff (although the restaurant is busy and therefore a bit slow - island time). We were very impressed with the accomodation and service and would return to the Sands. We recommend renting a car to go to the various resorts and restaurants and recommend "Grace Bay Car Rentals" used to be Provo Car rentals where we rented a Corolla for $260 for the week!
Enjoy!

3  Thank Ann F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,931)

Reviewed February 28, 2007

Recently spent a beautiful relaxing "girl's vacation" week with my 13yr. old daughter at the Sands.

Room- our room was building 5, third floor. Freshly painted and newer furnishings. King bed and pull out couch. My favorite part was the screened in porch. I sat there every evening. Fairly clean, but did need a good "spring cleaning" around the baseboards.
Walk from building to beach was a whole minute, stairs helped work off all the conch fritters we ate, but may be hard for families with children.

Staff-very helpful any time they were needed. While initially reserved, they opened up and responded very happily when treated kindly and with respect.

Beach-How is it possible that this beach is so clean ! It was truly like a fresh sandbox ! Even the small bit of seaweed did not smell, and was a non- issue. Had mostly wavy days due to the weather, but swam in ocean every day. The "banana boat" noise got a little old by the end of the week. Could not get an umbrella one day, so sat by the pool. People do reserve umbrellas very early, but at least they do sit in them by about 10am. I have been to places that had chairs and umbrellas "reserved" with towels,but the people never sat in all day !

Airport- do give yourself a good 2-21/2 hours to stand in the USAir lines, security and customs. Be patient, this airport is handling way more people than it was built for ! There is nothing complaining will do but make you look like a jerk ! Settle down and get yourself a beer from the restaurant-people actually were standing in line with them !

My only peeve: The children used the hot tub as the "kiddie pool", and parents and staff did not enforce the age limits.

This was the most relaxing vacation I have ever been on, and I highly recommend the Sands.

2  Thank i'mfreezing
Reviewed February 25, 2007

If what you want is a gorgeous beach....You can't beat The Sands at Grace Bay. I brought my 80 year old parents and they were in the water everyday and out walking...no stones or shells or even seaweed!!! Lots of umbrellas for those who are watching their skin...sugar-like sand... and free use of snokels, hobie cats, kayaks and bikes!

Our accomodations were spacious and clean....we stayed in a 2 bedroom condo, complete with kitchen, livingroom and dining, plus a 400 sq,ft veranda, in building #3 (which is being renovated). We enjoyed brand new furniture and bedding...including great big overstuffed wicker chairs on the veranda with ottomans and chaise lounges...so fabulous!

Our unit was called a garden view, but we could see the ocean from practically the entire unit...what a great surpirse! The service was friendly and their restuarant was delicious. There was even a hospitality suite where I could go to check my email, have a massage at the spa or work out!

The other thing that can't be beat were the other guests...everyone was so friendly...

I am definitely going back!

2  Thank bernaboston
Reviewed February 22, 2007

My wife and I just got back from the sands resort where we stayed for 3 nights/ 4 days. The beach at Grace bay is beautiful with white very soft sand and turquiose like crystal clear blue waters. In the morning, the water was a bit rough but in the afternoon it was so smooth and calming. The front desk service and entire staff was very friendly, accommodating, especially Barbara, who made our vacation a pleasant stay. We dined at Anacanoba, Parallel 23 and Coco Bistro. All 3 were fantastic but the first 2 were very $$$ expensive. Very romantic and the waiters/ waitresses served you hand and foot. Our room 1305 had a good view of the ocean and was pretty spacious. We got an upgrade of the room by error and then thru courtesy was given to us. The resort is good -not a hotel but more like cottages- suites that made it feel cozy. Hemingway's had good food for breakfast and lunch but service was alittle on the slow side. We ate lunch at Bella Luna one afternoon and was good. Provo is a pretty big island and there is construction going on everywhere. Within the next 2 years or so, the island will be explosive with even more built resorts and condos. We didn't see much of the island other than swim, relax and fine dining but there isn't much to see unless you want to sail to othe other islands of the Turks and Caicos or rent a car and explore the island. Entertainment and bars etc.....not much if any. Go for the beach- swim relax and you will not be disappointed!
The only negative I can comment on is the inconsistency of the taxi fares. Every one charges you different rates to take you from point A to point B. Make sure you ask how much where you want to go. I felt I was taken by $4-$5 a few times but I didn't care; I just gave it to them. Overall, Turks and Caicos was a wonderful mini vacation for us.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank nickolasNewYork
Reviewed February 16, 2007

We booked this trip on Delta, finding the best pricing after much research. The Sands has beautiful grounds, accomodating staff and Hemmingways was excellent morning, noon and night. In fact the food and service were so good at Hemmingways, we went there for all meals with the exception of two in the seven days we were there!

The room we were given was 3209, a courtyard view room. While I am not a big believer in paying a lot of money for something you are only sleeping and showering in, this room was definately affordable. My frusteration was the cleanliness of the room. The walls and flooring definately needed to be scrubbed down and the A/C needs some attention. Water was coming from the A/C and pooled on the rug next to the bed, not something one really wants to step in each time you get in and out of bed. Coffee was not replished once while we were there and washcloths had to be requested.

While these were minimal to us, this could be a deal breaker for others. Bottomline, we enjoyed our stay and will be back!

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank Seldomrest
Reviewed February 16, 2007

Just got back from the Sands. One of the best beaches anywhere. However, anytime I think of the Sands I will always remember how bad the service was. Surly front desk personnel seemed unwilling to help with even the simplest tasks. At times it was unbelievable to watch them roll their eyes. They put us in a room unlike what we booked and when we requested a change it was as if we were requesting a trip to the moon. Restaurant service was overall quite bad as well. Having stayed in many comparably priced resorts around the world, I must say that the Sands probably had the worst service I've ever experienced. Unfortunate too, because the facility is fairly nice and the beach is unrivaled.

3  Thank dgojts
Reviewed February 13, 2007

I just returned with my sons ages 18 and 21. Sands is well managed, property is well cared for and location is excellent. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Two bedroom suite was spacious with an exceptionally large screened balcony. Suites are ready to be repainted, though. Resort is owned by same owner as the new Somerset on Grace Bay. Probably should now put some money into refurbishing The Sands. Beds are very comfortable. Also, excellnet food at Coco Bistro and also at Soleil which is in the Somerset.

4  Thank eddiekins