“Great Spot for Friends and Family”
Review of Sands at Grace Bay

Sands at Grace Bay
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Albany, New York
“Great Spot for Friends and Family”
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I stayed at The Sands June 23-28th for my destination wedding. We had never stayed there before but felt that it was the best value and atmosphere for our friends and family traveling down for our wedding. It was definitely a great choice for this purpose. There were many rooms options available for all the guests and the size was perfect. The resort was pretty full due to another wedding group- which added to the friendly and fun atmosphere.
Here are my take aways-
1. As I read on other reviews- the cleaning service was definitely not what you would expect from the class of the hotel. We found out that if you tip the maids daily, your room is definitely cleaned up and restocked.
2. BEST ROOM EVER- 3306, it's a one bedroom ocean view. It's HUGE with an amazing porch with views up and down the beach. We also stayed in 3207 which was almost as good.
3. Front Desk- they were hot and cold. Sometimes they were really friendly and accomodating, other times they were a bit cold and not helpful. We had booked a 2 bedroom oceanview, we actually got a 1 bedroom courtyard with an open door connecting to a studio oceanview. They would not even check for any other room, they obviously overbooked those suites.
4. Airport taxi service- if you are with a large group, make sure you sign up everyone for a shuttle to the airport for your departure, we had a very confusing and annoyying time just trying to get 10 people in 1 van to get to the airport.
5. As said in other reviews, hemingways was "ok"- nothing spectacular but good food. Slow but somewhat friendly service.

This resort totally fulfilled our needs for friends and family joining together for our wedding. I would not say this would be my first choice for a romantic vacation with my husband.
We love Provo and will definitely be back for years to come! This is an amzaing island to relax and get away, with a beach to die for.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank abstravel49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We returned home yesterday after seven wonderful days at The Sands. It was our second stay there and our fourth trip to the Island. Our rooms were great - we booked a two bed/two bath gardenview and ended up with rooms 2105 and 2104. 2105 is a one bed/one bath unit and 2104 is a studio. These rooms were connected with a door, so my daughter and niece took 2104 and my husband and I took 2105. Housekeeping kept our rooms neat and clean all week.

Our flight down from Boston arrived on 06/20 at 11:10 am and we were on the beach by 12:15 pm. We had sun for our whole stay; we are all nicely browned and relaxed. All but one day we spent in "our office" which is what my husband and I dubbed our palapa for the week. Our days were spent sunning/swimming/walking the beach/reading/relaxing.

On Wednesday we took the half day trip with Caicos Dream Tours. DelRoy was our Captain and Ashley was his first mate. Snorkeling/conch diving/beach combing/conch salad - what a great time we had! As many of you before me, I highly recommend this tour group.

We aren't foodies at all and we have trouble tearing ourselves away from the beach to get ready for dinner until after sundown so I don't have much to add in the way of restaurant experiences but for Pizza Pizza. We went out Sunday night to go to Bella Luna but we realized when we got there that it's closed Sunday night. We backtracked to Pizza Pizza La Terraza and had the best pizza/salads/bruschetta! We liked it so much we ordered delivery from them Wednesday night. We made the Sands shuttle trip to the IGA on Saturday night for a few things and ended up having tacos in our room one night; American chopy suey another night and ate at Hemmingway's at the Sands the other nights. The food at Hemmingway's was just fine for us; we either ate a late lunch/early dinner from the lunch menu or dinner later in the evening.

The island seemed rather slow this visit and looking at the few abandoned resorts on Grace Bay was the only time I felt a frown on my face all week. Our last trip to the island was three years ago and both of the empty resorts I'm thinking of (one was down between the Alex and Beaches, the other next to Point Grace - don't know their names) weren't even there at the time. Or possibly the shell of the one next to Point Grace was there? Either way, I have mixed feelings about them being there at all. Hopefully someone will purchase them and breath life in to them soon.

We made sure to check out the new Italian Village at Beaches as we stayed at Beaches five years ago. The new Italian Village is lovely but it makes what was a crowded beach in that area even more so. Everyone who we spoke to there was having a great time so if they're happy, I'm happy. We also checked out Seven Stars as it sits on the property where we first stayed on the island seven years ago - the Allegro. I couldn't believe the pink buildings are still there. Seven Stars has it's fans and foes on here but it is a lovely property as well. But it also isn't our cup of tea as it's too quiet. That's why the Sands is a perfect fit for us - it's quaint and quiet but there's always activity around at the pools and beach area. The other resorts we would definitely like to give a try are Royal West Indies and the Ocean Club West. Both had the same vibe we like about the Sands.

I can't stress how helpful and pleasant 99% of the people we came in to contact were this trip - from our taxi driver from the airport, to the staff at the Sands - from front door to the guys who work the towel hut and beach activities area. You can tell all of them just want this to be your best vacation ever. Many people think that their room is just a place to hang their hat when on vacation and that's fine for them but for me, my room is my home for the week, and I felt totally at home at the Sands.

So for now, I'm in the post-vacation haze but nevertheless plotting how my husband and I can get back, possibly for our anniversary in November.

If anyone has any questions about the Sands, I would be happy to try and help.

Happy travels -

Linda

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank MuyLinda23
Georgia
Reviewed June 23, 2009

6/13-6/20. room 4202 was great! Housekeeping was not good, no soap left, toilettries not replaced, trash not removed/picked up. I don't get people's favorable comments about Hemmingways at all... Food was ONLY ok, limited options, never changed - service extremely slow and drinks were not good. View are great, beach and pool area were nice, not a lot of kids/people so it was relaxing. Spa massage and facials were good. Spa pedicure in a foot massages was barely okay and way over-priced. Other restruants: Iguana was good, Danny's Bouys was good, the Italian place was good. Also went to Jimmy's Dive and liked it. Pizza Pizza had surprisingly great food. Not a lot to do here; went fishing and snorkling - water was warm and had good luck fishing. Iguana lsland is okay as a short stop on an excursion, but not worth the $5 admission. Walked down to the "shopping" - not a lot of shops, but we did manage to find our keepsakes. Case of Miller Lite was $43 at the IGA on the way from the airport. Take people's advice and stop there on your way and buy some food / drinks for your room, since Hemminways isn't that good, you'll find you want some snacks etc. in your room. The people that hook you up with the taxi's will say the drivers don't want to stop and wait, but if you talk to the driver after you get in, I believe they will - for $1/minute. We were in and out in 11 minutes, one of us did stay with our stuff and the taxi. Glad we went, Loved the Suites and our Ocean / Pool Front Room, Screened in Balconies are nice; probably wouldn't go back - kind of a one time place........

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed June 23, 2009

My Fiance and I got married on the beach May 30, 2009, at the Sands at Grace Bay and stayed for our honeymoon which ended June 5, 2009. We had 8 guest that flew into Provo and none of them wanted to leave on Monday lol. I have been to St. Maarten, Punta Cana, and Cancun, but none of the beaches could match the crystral clear water and beautiful sands of Grace Bay beach. We are already planning to return May, 30, 2010, for our one year anniversery. It rained 5 straight days before we arrived so our arrival date could not have been better. The staff at Grace Bay I will always remember. They were polite and helped us with any questions we had. Pastor Coleby thank you very much. You made our wedding ceremony even better. We rented a car from Grace Bay Rentals (Paul) our last three days and drove around the island to visit some of the other beaches and local resturants which I strongly recommend you visit. Anita was our photographer from Tropical Imaging and we are more than pleased with our prints Anita. To the Sands Staff, to Anita, to Paul, to Eldardo and Chris at the beach, to Carter at Hemingways, thank you for making our wedding and honeymoon the best experience we ever had. Hey Carter, how about that Lakers Game on my last night lol. See u soon, Ryan.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Went to TCI for our honeymoon for the middle 2 weeks of November...The weather was outstanding (i think it rained the first day and that was it). The hotel was very nice and an excellent value. Staff was very good, the rooms were incredible (outstanding balcony, kitchen was very nice, very roomy). Concierges did a great job! Cons: If you plan on cooking, the pots and pans were terrible and need to be replaced...The fitness center was very outdated and to be honest, some of the equipment was bordering on dangerous. Hemingways was an awesome restaurant for those nights were you dont want to get all dressed up to go eat. The beach is as advertised...incredible water, sand is beautiful, and what i loved is that there was minimal to no sales guys bothering you. Snorkeling right in front of the hotel was fun, saw starfish, rays, tons of other fish...for the best snorkeling, walk down by Beaches (nice reef there). Definitely do the snorkeling and conch hunting tour down by the Alexandra (tons of fun)...Nightlife is a little limited, but there are a few bars that are open later and the casinos were a blast...Restaurants were outstanding very affordable (favorite was probably Coco Bistro). What was most expensive was the grocery store...Everything was outstanding, and we cant wait to go back! If you need further info, feel free to email me...

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank knicolini1
EASTCOAST
Reviewed June 21, 2009

What an adventure our 18th anniversary was at the Sands!

While temperatures in the southern US climbed into the 90's, Provo stayed around 80 plus degrees, even in the immediate days preceding summer solstice. Trade winds and late afternoon thunderstorms made our visit bearable. No Hurricane activity presented itself at this time.

We received 2 nights free when we booked 7 days. Apartments are privately owned and very well kept. We stayed in room 3207, and I think this might be the very best spot at the Sands. Ocean-front, angled toward the late afternoon storms, our huge screened-in porch recveived cooling winds that I'm sure our pool-side ocean-front neighbors did not. AND we had a washer and dryer!

Every hotel on the island has obligatory beach access for belongers (locals), and most afternoons we would hear the music-box tunes of "Row, Row Row Your Boat", "Old Suzanna", "When the Saints Go Marching In" and more as the ice cream truck would roll in. At night, we could hear strains of music from the Grace Bay area of town. Otherwise, it was totally quiet. The beach at night was deserted.

We rented a car, and it was small. This is a good thing, as the roads can narrow, and you can turn on a dime. We parked on the public access road, and while our car was parked here, it was hit by other motorists twice. We saw it happen the second time. These small cars have lots of island scrapes and bruises, so no worries.

Streets are rocky, and take some getting used to. LEFT LEFT LEFT we'd chant, as we got on the road. The turnabouts can sneak up on you, so Give Way.

Food is expensive, since everything is shipped in. I don't think anyone makes much of anything there. The government is corrupt. Otherwise, right now it seems like a really a safe island.

We met one Englishman on our trip, at the Pizza Place. Despite the failing British economy, (he had become unemployed - as many of us have - and was now working on the island), the British Government is trying to fix the corruption on Providencialis with an influx of cash. (He told us this in confidence, since the British people might not approve -so please keep this to yourselves)

The sun is magnified here by all the blue ocean, and we are toasty brown. The people we met here are beautiful ... and thin. And they dress up to go out. And brave people who scuba dive visit here. They showed us pictures of their underwater adventures - with the sharks.

We took a boat with "Reefer Peekers", and the deeper water had the best coral reefs. The agile young men found conchs for our lunch, and even found my husband's lost glasses at the bottom of the sea. For this we are ever thankful.

Advice? Soft drinks are cheaper out of the vending machine outside the airport than inside. If the airport changes your flight to a later time because they don't think your luggage can make it, take the original flight if YOU can make it, and get your luggage delivered later. And don't be scared to snorkel, drink the tap water, or go out on the town. The people of Provo are Christians, and happy with their life. Stingrays are largely disinterested in you if you keep a safe distance, and always hold onto your glasses.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BYOKetchup
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We had a spacious room with screened in porch. We chose to stay in a room with a gardenview but didn't mind since we spent a lot of time out of the room. The room had a mini refrigerator, small sink and microwave with some dishes and utensils. We ate breakfast in the room and a couple of lunches. The Graceway Gourmet market is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. They have a good selection of pre-made sandwiches and salads. We also stocked up on water, Gatorade and juices. We ate at the restaurant at the hotel called Hemingways. It had a pretty view and good food. We found the prices at the restaurant reasonable. We tried to use the complimentary bikes but only one was in working order. They have kayaks, snorkel gear and Hobie sailboats for the guests free of charge. We used the sailboats on two days. One of the boats was newer and much easier to sail. The staff at the beach was friendly and willing to take you out if you didn't know how to sail. We never had trouble getting an umbrella and chairs and there is a girl that takes orders for drinks on the beach. We absolutely loved the sand and water and you can walk for miles on the beautiful beach. The hotel isn't luxury but it was very nice for the price to stay on Grace Bay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple