“Perfect vacation! Can't wait to go back!”

The Sands at Grace Bay
Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
New York
“Perfect vacation! Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The Sands lived up to and exceeded the great reviews that I read before arriving. From the minute we checked in and were given our welcome rum punches...to our departure 6 days later...everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Ri-Ann at the concierge desk always greeted us with a smile and was very helpful in answering any questions we had for her. Big John at the Ocean Vibes excursion hut always made us laugh and started our day off with a smile as we stopped by to get our towels.
I was traveling with my sister on a girls only vacation, and we couldn't have asked for a more perfect place than the Sands to relax, unwind and get away from it all.
We had a studio gardenview apartment, which was perfect for the two of us. We had no intentions of cooking on vacation, so not having a full kitchen was more than fine with us. The studio did have a small "kitchenette" area with an under-the-counter refrigerator, microwave, toaster and coffee pot as well as a few plates, glasses and silverware. If you do want to stay in and cook, then consider at least a 1-bedroom apartment which has a full kitchen. Actually, before leaving, we looked into one of the larger 2-bedroom apartments since we plan on returning with our husbands in the future.
I would highly recommend the Sands for a quiet, relaxing vacation. In addition to some other girls only vacationers, we also saw young couples and young families enjoying themselves.
Don't hesitate to contact me via trip advisor with any questions you may have.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank AnneNY55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We just returned from The Sands - we stayed Feb. 17-24, 2014. The resort is a nice size, not too big or overcrowded. The condo was great - 2 bedroom, 2 bath, large living room/kitchen area and a very big screened porch. We stayed in building 4, ocean view - a short walk to pool, restaurant and beach. The location is good - you can walk to several restaurants down the beach. You can also bike/walk to town (5-10 min.) and the bikes are free.
The beach is just amazing and there is beverage service - a major plus. The pool is very nice. Staff will bring over umbrellas if you need some shade.
We did have some spa treatments - they too, were excellent. The gym there is small but adequate if you wish to exercise indoors.
We traveled with kids ages 12 & 14. They liked the resort and island very much. During our stay we rented a 24 ft boat. Our captain Tony & first mate Zach took us fishing and to Fort George (a remote small island) for a bbq picnic. It was a great day on the sea.
I give the resort 4 stars as we found everything to be very good. There are a few other resorts on the island that I would deem 5 star as there are a bit more luxurious.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and recommend it to anyone traveling to T&C.

Room Tip: Ocean view room was nice but ocean front would have been better with the lovely screened porch.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank TravelingFamilyCT
NYC
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

I could not ask for a better hotel with an amazing beach! If you're looking for a hotel that has great rooms, good food and set on the perfect section of this island this is the place for you. The hotel has an empty lot next door which means you have TONS of free space to spread out and not be on too of other guests. You're also not far from town and other hotels for drinks and meals! In the evenings the hotel was very quiet and during the day there were not many kids! And this nice part about this hotel is you have your own kitchen for meals if you don't feel like eating out. This hotel is definitely for everyone... We had families, older couples and honeymooners during our stay over Thanksgiving and people never were never on top of each other like other hotels! Nor did you have a beach like this anywhere else on the island... also the staff was amazing! They were so friendly and attentive to all of our needs! I can not wait to return!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank nyctravel77
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I visited the Sands (solo) for five days in mid-February. The resort is in a great location, in a relatively uncrowded area of Grace Bay Beach, and is in convenient walking distance to shops and restaurants as well as the Graceway Gourmet grocery store. The resort has bikes to borrow to explore the area as well.
As many others have mentioned, the staff shows a very indifferent attitude toward guests (one of the reasons for my four "stars"). While most hotels/resorts go out of their way to please guests and make the guest's experience top-notch, I didn't get that feeling here. The housekeeping and grounds staff always had a smile and "hello", but it did not extend to the front desk or concierge. When I asked about a particular restaurant, the concierge simply said, "it's okay". No mention of good dishes or a better restaurant. She seemed inconvenienced by my questions.
I had requested a building close to the ocean for my studio oceanview suite. I was placed in the building farthest from the ocean with a distant view through the trees (I believe it was 1302). I went back to the desk to see if there were any rooms available closer to the ocean. I was brought to a one-bedroom in building 3 (unit 3213). For the extra $50/night, I settled for it, but again, it did not have a direct ocean view. There was a parking area and vacant lot between the unit and the beach and some trees obstructing the view. I realize there is a fine distinction between "ocean view" and "ocean front", and now know to research more in advance as "ocean view" seems to mean different things at different hotels. The one bedroom was comfortable (though much more space than I needed). The unit seemed a bit tired and could use some fresh paint and cleaning. There was a distinct wet carpet smell as though it hadn't been cleaned recently. The bedroom is in the back of the unit with another door to the landing. No ocean views from the bedroom. The screened balconies are a catch-22. They keep the bugs away, but (in my opinion) obstruct the view of the ocean.
The grounds were lovely, with 3 pools, two of which are connected by meandering waterways. Unfortunately, beach chairs are at a premium, and that was another reason for my 4 "stars". I'm not one to get up and to the beach at the crack of dawn on vacation. The couple of mornings I got up for a sunrise walk, people had already laid bags and belongings on the beach chairs (6:30AM). By the time I had eaten breakfast and was ready to hit the beach (around 9), there was not a chair to be had. Two days I ended up laying my towel directly on the sand. The other days I gave up. For a hotel with such a lovely beachfront, it is a shame that they do not have enough chairs and umbrellas for the number of guests they have staying there. I realize it is the "high season", but felt very put-off by not being able to enjoy the beach. By mid-afternoon, the beach area cleared a bit and chairs were easier to find. The rear pool areas (not near the ocean) seemed to usually have chairs available.
I ate at Hemingway's twice for dinner (they serve their lunch menu until 6) and once for breakfast. The first day I arrived at 5:50 PM and was asked whether I wanted to order lunch or dinner. I asked if I could see both menus and was told that I had to pick one. While the food was adequate, there was nothing memorable about it. The jerk chicken had absolutely no seasoning. And the chicken pasta dish was likewise unremarkable. There are many better places to eat nearby.
I stopped by the desk on Wednesday to ask about a late check-out on Friday as my flight didn't leave until 3:30 (check out is at 11 AM). The woman told me to just stop by Friday morning, and it shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, it was. When I stopped by Friday, I was told a late check-out wasn't possible. The woman acted as though she was doing me a favor when she told me I could stay until 11:30, but no later. There is a "hospitality suite" for those with later flights, but I would suggest checking it out before deciding to use it. I wandered down to see it and decided to just get ready early in my room and leave my luggage at the front desk while I went back to the beach for a while before leaving for the airport. There is a shower in the hospitality area, but it feels like a locker room.
Overall, I might consider staying here again, as the grounds and pools are lovely. Some of the other resorts are crowded together further down the beach. But there were enough negatives that I would look closely at other resorts before deciding to stay at the Sands again.

Room Tip: If you want a direct ocean view, choose an ocean front room. Ocean view could be obstructed or in t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank lirwin13
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed here for 4days during our honeymoon trip before moving to another TC island. We had booked a garden view and got a sea view room, which was very appreciated! The room was big,very clean and well equipped. We even had a washing machine and a drier in the bathroom, if we had known this before we wouldn't have given all our dirty clothes to our previous hotel for laundry. The small kitchen area had a micro wave and a big fridge. The balcony was perfect for drinks in the evening.
We had breakfast everyday at the Hemingways restaurant. The service was good and the food very tasty. I would recommend to make a reservation if you are planning to have dinner there as it can get quite full.
We took bikes from the establishment to go to the shopping area (Saltmills, it took us 5min to get there). It is the perfect place to buy souvenirs or to eat. I would highly recommend Yoshissushi, it was the best sushi restaurant ever!!
We also enjoyed the beach a lot, as it was not crowded at all and also the fact that there were almost no kids (compared to the other hotels!!). It is probably the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Loved the fact that we could use the paddle boat, kayak and snorkeling equipment whenever we wanted (within the opening hours of course)! There is a fantastic spot for snorkeling called the Bight Reef (next to the Windsong hotel), it takes about 25min by walk to get there.
It was an awesome trip. It is a peaceful place, yet close to restaurants, shops, located on the best beach and there are plenty of activities to do! Oh and don't forget to try the local dark rhum called Bambarra.. and the rhum punches!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrishaK972
Oakville, Ontario
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We are a couple who stayed here for a week in February. We booked a courtyard studio and were given a 3rd floor ocean view studio instead. This was plenty big for 2 adults and the screened balcony was lovely for breakfast and lunch in the room. The room was clean and well taken care of.

The beach is very important to my vacation and this location on Grace Bay is outstanding. Wide, quiet section of beach with great swimming. If resorts are ever built on the vacant lots on either side of the Sands this section of beach will start to get crowded like the Alexandra/Sibonne/Somerset area which was too crowded for my liking. I agree with other reviewers, I had to get an umbrella early, by 8am at least, to avoid disappointment.

Another benefit to the Sands was the proximity to restaurants and grocery store. Easy walk to dinner and easy bike ride to get groceries.

The Sands lost power for 30 hours during my stay as part of the island wide outage. The staff tried their best to help but there is only so much that can be done. I appreciated that the lobby area had power by generator and they kept the wifi on there. It was a very warm night for sleeping without AC.

I would stay at the Sands again based on good room and great beach.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank MacOakville
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We were greeted with a lovely cold rum punch and big smiles. The valet seemed very proud to show us all the amenities on our route to our accommodations. Helpful info about the island too.
The resort is very convenient to shopping and restaurants in the Grace Bay area.
The lazy river is relaxing, great for kids and the hugh pool great for laps too.
We had everything we needed in our condo, spacious, clean and the washer dryer was a major bonus so we could pack less clothing.
The onsite restaurant made life easy and you could order right on the beach or at the pool and it is brought to you.
The best of services at a great price for the island.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are all screened to enjoy the evening with no bugs!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sophieH3G
GeneralManager003_13, General Manager at The Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear sophieH3G,

Thank you for your recent review and for choosing The Sands at Grace Bay for your family vacation. We so appreciate your kind words about our resort, Hemingway’s Restaurant and our great staff.

We all look forward to your return to Providenciales soon.

Yours sincerely,