“lovely property, beautiful beach”

The Sands at Grace Bay
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with ocean views. Suite was immaculate and spacious, with high end kitchen, large balcony, and nice sized master bed and bath. Grounds were perfectly maintained, with lovely landscaping around the pool areas, an adults only hot tub, and the beach! Beach was every bit as nice as it looks in pictures, with beautiful caribbean blue water and gentle surf.

We were there week of Feb 16th, so peak high season. During week beach chairs were "reserved" very early. I had to walk down to beach by 7AM to put towels on chairs to hold them and have an umbrella put up. There were some families who came later and there were no chairs left; that was the only shortcoming of the place. They had kayaks and paddle boards for guest use, also bikes, a small sailboat, and tennis courts. All were complimentary and easily available.

There is a tiny convenience store on the property - as you'd expect prices were very high. There is a shuttle that runs to IGA grocery store once in the AM and once in the PM, price was about $10. Totally worth doing a big grocery run at beginning of week. Prices at grocery store were higher than US but not outrageous.

Taxi rates are also very high - to take cab to dinner was about $10 per person each way - so for our family of four it was $80 before tip just to go out. Because of this we mostly had dinner at restaurants within walking distance: Mango reef is 5 minute walk down the beach and is fabulous; Grace's cottage is one resort down and has beautiful garden dining; we also walked to a little shopping center about 10 minutes away and had a casual dinner at Pizza Pizza. I highly recommend all 3 places. Hemingway's is the restaurant at Sands and I thought food was just OK, the bar though is very nice.

One last comment on atmosphere. This is a smaller property compared to some of the mega resorts along the beach, and definitely catered to families. For us it was perfect - I wasn't looking for a kids clubs and tons of scheduled activities, I wanted a nice place to relax and that's exactly what we found.

Beautiful beach, excellent accommodations, I would definitely recommend. Only reason for 4 star vs 5 is that I travel a lot and would not consider this a "luxury" hotel, but again we were totally satisfied and had a wonderful experience.

2  Thank MollyElizabethCT
GeneralManager003_13, Manager at The Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear MollyElizabethCT,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Sands at Grace Bay. We appreciate the time you took to let us know of your experience and that your stay was an excellent one. Your kind words about our clean rooms, maintained grounds, and beautiful beach will be shared with our entire staff.

With regards to the beach chairs we typically have more beach chairs than required for our size resort have not had this brought to our attention of late, however we will be sure to monitor more closely. Also, we shared your comments with our property manager so that he may make any necessary corrections.

Indeed, you are correct when you say prices are a little more than what you would pay in the US as everything is imported to the island, though this is not untypical of remote islands in general.

Again thank you, for your comments and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Sands.

Sunny regards,

Adrian Archer
Duty Manager
The Sands at Grace Bay

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my first time (but definitely not my last!!) visiting Turks & Caicos. From the moment we stepped out of the taxi and on to the property, we were in heaven! The staff is so amazingly friendly and helpful - the concierge who helped us book our dinner reservations, all of the wait staff at Hemingways, the gentlemen who work the beach (shout out to Bertrand for making sure we had a prime spot on the beach every day!)- we felt perfectly at home. The studio was much larger than we expected and had everything we needed- an enclosed veranda so we could enjoy our morning coffee and pre-dinner glass of wine, comfy couch & chairs, top quality mattress for a restful night's sleep, plenty of closet and draw space, ample lighting options, large bathroom with space for all our toiletries, and some amenities like a small refrigerator, coffee pot, toaster, microwave, stackable washer/dryer, and hair dryer. The grounds were immaculate and well-kept. Plenty of space at the pools and on the beach. We were there during school vacation week and never once felt crowded. Central location to some great spots- check out Grace's Cottage, Opus (best dessert ever for you coconut/caramel/chocolate lovers!), Seven, Coco Bistro, Baci, Danny Buoy's and Jimmy's Hideaway. Food on the island is pricey but worth every penny! The beach is phenomenal; I couldn't stop remarking on the color of the water and the soft, powdery sand. It was a slice of paradise and I can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: We had a studio in building #2, second floor, ocean view - it was perfect!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Sherry S
GeneralManager003_13, General Manager at The Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Sherry S,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay. We appreciate the time you took to let us know of your experiences and that you had an excellent stay.

We will certainly share your kind remarks about the Concierge, Hemingway’s staff, Berthold and our grounds men with them and the entire team.

Also, we are delighted to know you enjoy the studio accommodations ample room and nice amenities. You are correct, we are located close to many wonderful dining and bar establishments, including shopping and galleries though most important and the main reason most tourist come is for the amazing world renowned Grace Bay Beach, voted on Trip Advisor as the #1 world’s best beach.

Again, thank you and I along with my staff all look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Beautiful resort with amazing sand beach. Friendly staff with clean rooms and nice views of the ocean and resort grounds. Short bike to town every morning for coffee and breakfast. Nice setups for spending the day on the beach. Hemingways restaurant is right there for convenient dining without leaving the property. There are plenty of restaurants in town - a short evening walk to most of them. Plenty to do either on the property with kayaks, snorkeling, sailboats, and paddle boards.

Room Tip: Nice restuarants a short walk down the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dkrmd1

Dear dkrmd1,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay. We appreciate the time you took to let us know of your experiences and that your stay was an excellent one.

We are simply delighted to know you enjoyed our friendly staff, clean rooms, and lush grounds. Hemingway’s is a local favorite with wonderful breakfast, lunch and dinner selections with food and bar service and delivery right on the beach. Nice to know you don’t have to leave the beach! We are also glad to know you noted the many complimentary amenities such as Ocean Kayaks, Hobie Cats, Paddle Boards, snorkel gear and bicycles as well as our close proximity to the many nice dining and bar establishments, shops and galleries.

Again, thank you for your kind words. We will share them with our entire staff.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent 10 days recently at the Sands.
As usual, we enjoyed the resort tremendously.
Being in the middle of Grace Bay gives the Sands a great vantage point.
We like the fact that you can walk to your favorite restaurants without a car.

Our routine rarely varied:
Eat breakfast, long walks on the beach, lie under a palapa to read a book, have a Pina Colada around 4:00, take a nap and then an early dinner.

We had a 2 bedroom ocean view in Building 3 which suited us well.

We did a half day snorkel trip and snorkeled off Bight Reef

Our compliments to the front desk staff and particularly Sophia.
We were supposed to leave on a Sat., but due to the storm in NE , we couldn't get a flight out until the followingTues.
Sophia, Riann, Priscilla, Shamara and the rest of the front desk crew took great care of us allowing us to stay the extra 3 days though the resort was full. They found us a room and treated us with the utmost respect.

We will be back at the Sands next year.

Room Tip: We liked Building 3 for our 2 bedroom ocean view condo
2  Thank fjm61
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been to T&C many times as a couple and with extended family since 1978. We have rented beautiful homes on the beach as well as stayed in most of the original hotels. In fact, we have stayed several times a the Sands over the years. My husband were just there in December 2012 and stayed at the Royal West Indies and had a great experience. I called The Sands last week to book a suite for my niece and I for 8 nights. Sophie was very nice and professional and gave me a quote for our stay. I told her I would call right back after I confirmed our flights. I called back within the hour and she went to put our reservation through, took all my information along with my credit card. When I asked for her to confirm the amounts, the price of the same suite in the same building went up over $1,200.00 for the 8 nights. I told her that didn't seem right and she just said that she was sorry but, that was what it was now. I hope that this is not her general practice. If I had not asked for a confirmation of price I would have been very surprised when I checked in for my stay. She would not honor her original quote so I told her to cancel the transaction. I have found another hotel for the same time frame up the beach. With all the new competition on Grace Bay ... service from start to finish is going to be very important especially in the slower times. I always enjoy Turks and Caicos and love to visit our friends who have lived there for many years. Just a warning to all dealing directly with reservations!

Room Tip: Confirm your quotes
10  Thank BeachFan711
Managers_responses, Manager at The Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear BeachFan711 ,

We are sorry to learn you of your recent concerns with our reservationist during your telephone interaction.

Please allow us to elaborate. Our rates are always published on our website along with all our promotions, which has not changed. When a rate is quoted it is room rate only, you then must consider the applicable taxes. At the time of booking we will quote the associated and available rate/s, and we also explain there are applicable taxes to the room rate, this too has not changed. It is explained to the caller a credit card must be provided to hold a reservation or it is necessary to provide a deposit. Please understand without this, we cannot ensure the room category or rate offered you may have been quoted is available the next time you call as we do not hold rooms. We have many different Travel Agents and Online Agents including our own Reservationists selling the hotel at the same time of any given call. Once a reservation is confirmed at our resort with a deposit, you will receive a confirmation letter detailing the reservation from the arrival date, price of the room to the deposit paid.

Our Reservationist has been an integral part of our reservation team for many years and has made thousands of reservations during that time. She has been a valued and trusted employee who has had many positive accolades to her recognition from the many guests who also have come to know her throughout years, who have also asked for by name and rebooked with her as a result. This is a testimony to her credit.

We are no different that most hotels and resorts in TCI and throughout the world that have seasonal rates based on room categories (garden view, ocean view, etc.), room types (studio, one bedroom etc.) to the number of persons in a room. This will affect the price of the room reservation.

If you find it necessary or should you have questions and would like to speak with a reservations manager, we are happy to assist and answer any question you may have.

Raymond Yip
The Sands
Revenue and Reservations Manager

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at Sands at Grace Bay in a 2 Bedroom Oceanview villa along with another couple. Our vacation could not have been more perfect. The resort has a wonderful staff and the rooms were very clean and beautiful. I have virtually no complaints and would love to visit again.

Below are a few good and bad points though:
The Good:
1. Incredibly pretty beach
2. Friendly staff and wonderful amenities that don't make you feel nickel and dimed
3. Use the bikes to take a trip to the Grace Bay tourist area
4. Tennis courts make for a wonderful late evening activity
5. Do read a book while lying on the hammock in a hidden area near building #1

The Bad:
1. Not really a complaint, but everything was on "island" time.
2. The area to the west of the Sands did not feel all that safe particularly at night. Highly recommend walking/biking east toward the Grace Bay tourist area only after dark.

The Weird:
1. At one point, a lady, on resort grounds, randomly approached us and tried to sell us what I can only assume to be weed. She pointed at the rest of the people in our group and in a hushed tone, asked me if "we wanted to party". Nothing that I take too seriously, but just a weird experience. It is of note that the lady wasn't really a staff member.

All-in-all, an incredible trip and a vacation I'll remember for a long time. Thanks Sands.

Room Tip: Strongly suggest that you splurge for an oceanview room. The beach is incredibly beautiful.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chintan S
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had reserved a one bedroom suite and somehow got upgraded to a two bedroom. Thanks! The rooms were gorgeous and having a full kitchen was wonderful. The staff was incredibly nice. I have often read reviews talking about nice staff and have never been particularly impressed; however, this place impressed me. They were all warm, open, friendly and helpful...with one exception. Had a horrible waitress with a permanent scowl on her face and unfortunately had her on two nights. She would take your order and then disappear until you finally had to ask another waiter to help you (i.e. to order another drink or dessert, etc.). If you eat in the restaurant - don't sit in Sabrina's section. But DO sit in Korna's section - because in addition to being a great waiter - he has got to be one of the nicest guys ever and so incredibly helpful. And the food was also really good.

The pool areas were very nice with plenty of chairs - no need to "reserve" a chair at the crack of dawn with a towel. Same with the beach. The nice gentlemen who work the beach will get you a set of chairs and umbrella on request.

We travel several times a year and tend to never return to a place so we can always experience "something new". The Sands will be different - we will definitely return.

Room Tip: The ocean view suites were perfect. I would definitely choose those as you are close to the pool an...
5  Thank dana53023
GeneralManager003_13, General Manager at The Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear dana53023,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay. We appreciate the time you took to let us know of your experiences and are delighted to that overall your stay was an exceptional one.

We shared your feedback with the entire team so that we may praise our staff and and/or correct any shortcomings in our services.

Again, thank you and we look forward to your return very soon.