“One of the last true gems of the Caribbean”

Sibonne Beach Hotel
Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed February 4, 2009

This will mark our 4th trip to Sibonne. We opted for a balcony view room this time, as the Ocean Front rooms were not avail.
All of the balcony rooms have beautiful views of the water and garden courtyard, although they don't all face the ocean.
This sweet 26 room hotel is horseshoe shaped with another front buidling with a small apartment, and two ocean front rooms.
I decided to write a review this year, as I have seen some "bad press" from people who have stayed in the past regarding Sibonne.
I think after 4 stays here, my honey and I can safely say that when we arrive, we always unpack our manners first, as we are guests here in paradise, and NOT belongers...
We are always greeted kindly, and many of the staff remember us, for which we are grateful, as it makes Sibonne feel like we too belong on Provo for our few days in the sun and sand.
The caretaker, Winchlyn is always ready with a smile and helping hand for whatever you may need. The restaurant staff always take good care of us, give us some good natured teasing if we end up eating our two breakfasts, which we sometime do..... along with Junior's expertise at the bar, and the chef, Craig, who leaves you wanting for nothing after he's prepared the specialty of the evening.....
In the morning, the husband and wife who manage the property, Sandra and Ken, are always there for breakfast, with a kind greeting, and checking on how your stay is going. This year, they have even adopted a couple of cats from the local SPCA, to mouse, and give that " fur fix" when you miss your critters at home. Which now brings me to why we return to this little oasis among the giant monolith's now being built on Provo.
Sibonne is still ON the beach....the beast's who surround her, albeit glamorous and stunning in thier own right, all have to go to the new codes of building....back 300 feet....Sibonne is the last strong hold of the hotel getaways, that were built to be getaways..
Turks and Caicos is "beautiful by nature" and Sibonne is her heart.......can't wait to go back, and feel welcomed all over again..
Karin and Greg

9  Thank RHSBeachbums
There are newer reviews for Sibonne Beach Hotel

Reviewed January 30, 2009

We just returned from our third visit to Sibonne. It suits us perfectly as it is quiet, friendly, clean and safe. It sits on the best spot on Grace Bay, one of the world's most beautiful beaches, attached to Bay Bistro, a superior restaurant along with Junior's bar. The atmosphere is casual, the service friendly, the rooms are comfortable . We prefer an ocean view room, as we use the balcony. There are no children under 12 allowed during the winter season, which we really appreciate. It is never crowded, we are never rushed, our needs are attended to by the gracious staff who tend to remember our preferences. It is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the sugar soft sand and warm Carribean sun. We plan to return next year.

Sandy and Jack Gresham

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sandyflinthill
Reviewed January 26, 2009

The Sibonne was absolutely perfect for our needs. I like small properties with character and this fit the bill. It reminded me of beach accommodations from my childhood, long before there were megaresorts or condos. The proximity to the beach can’t be stressed enough. We splurged and got a room with a balcony which we used extensively. The lack of an overhang for shade was never a problem. We had an end room which had a nice vaulted ceiling, and when it rained you could hear it on the roof. The breakfast was modest: two pieces of toast with a piece of fruit (usually a melon slice) plus coffee or tea and orange juice. On the days when we wanted more, we usually ordered an omelet or some eggs and bacon and split it. Still makes breakfast under $5 a person. There was a small refrigerator in the room that we stocked with beverages, lunch fixings, and snacks. Our room was cleaned and fresh towels left every day. I don’t know if the sheets were changed, but they probably weren’t. The staff was friendly and we never encountered anything that might be interpreted as “surly” as some of the reviews suggest. The Sibonne has beach towels. They may not be plush or available the minute you wake up, but we got towels everyday that suited our needs just fine. I noticed that several people brought their own, though, so if having a certain type of towel on a schedule is what’s needed, then perhaps bring your own. We were able to get a palapa whenever we wanted. In conclusion, set your expectations accordingly and you won’t be disappointed, and you might just fall in love as we did.

Stayed: January 2009
6  Thank JLM42
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I've been travelling quite a lot (even in the caribbean), but never have I met such strange staff, they seemed to dislike all tourists, or something. The front desk person and the breakfast staff were worst, only one were friendly.

Actually this was very common on providenciales.

At last me and my wife joked about it, just to accept the situation.

The hotel was nice situated at the beach and the room (balcony ocean view) was great. i think it's worth to choose the balcony room, otherwise you get very near your neighbour.

We never had dinner at the hotel restaurant (you know why).
Hemingways, just 200m to the right, fronting the beach, was good (but expensive), one american said they had outrageous prices :-).

To cut the costs we had snacks on the beach and sometimes ordered pizza to the room (from pizza pizza) you will find it in magazines, the cheapest wine is about 14 USD in the liquor store, 23-100 USD at restaurants.

Of course the beach was nice and very clear water, we saw jo-jo the dolphin once and a small ray just outside the hotel.

Although I expect more from the staff, otherwise it makes your holiday quite bad.

By the way, I'm from Sweden, if you think my english is strange :-).

• Stayed: January 2009
3  Thank Charvel
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I stayed at Sibonne from Jan 3-10, 2009. The reservations were made for a room with two double beds. When we got to the hotel, we were given a room with one king. They were unable to change the room assignment because the hotel was full. According to them, even though my printed reservation said two double beds I should have double checked with them before I came. (What??) So, all that to say...my friend and I wound up sleeping in the same bed.
The hotel itself is a bit shabby. The rooms are average. The beds are comfortable, but the sheets don't fit so when you turn over they slip off the edges...very annoying. It continued even after they changed the sheets. There were days when the room wasn't cleaned until late afternoon. It really didn't bother us, since we weren't in the room anyway. The maids were very sweet and accomodating.
The other reviews regarding the free continental breakfast are true. It is a sad little breakfast..two pieces of toast and small awful OJ that was quite bitter and from a can, with tea or coffee. What we found most amusing was that when you ordered tea with breakfast, the waitress would bring tea bags and a pot of hot water. After you had used one tea bag, she would (on a daily basis) attempt to remove the remaining tea bags without you noticing. (We just started putting a couple in the pot to solve that problem) We would order a breakfast, usually an omlett, and share it...for a price of about $5/person. We went to the IGA and got water, alcohol, and sandwich supplies. We ate lunch either in our room or in the courtyard daily, saving a lot of money!
Food in Provo is very expensive. The Bay Bistro seems to be a lot higher than other restaurants for dinner. The entrees seem to range from $30-50 with the food not being that spectacular. Two of our favorite places were the Tiki Hut and Hemingway's right next door in the Sands resort. Both places were very reasonable and the food was great!
Overall, the Sibonne is a bit less than average. Just OK...maybe. It is shabby, but the staff was very nice to us. There is an overall island mentality...they don't get in a hurry about anything. But, that really didn't bother us. It has a beautiful location, right in the center of Grace Bay and you are just steps from the beach.
If service and quality linens are something that is important to you, then this is not the place for you. We didn't have a bad time here, but won't be staying at this particular establishment again. Anyone who would like recommendations on other hotels, please feel free to contact me. We visited several other places while we were there.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank versed88
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We stayed at Sibonne from Dec 27, 2008 - Jan 2, 2009.

Our trip didn't start off great with weather snags and an unexpected overnight stay in Atlanta (booo Delta), but we weren't going to let that ruin our trip.

Room:
When we (finally) got to the Sibonne, we were promptly shown to our rooms. The rooms were perfect for what we needed. We stayed in a room with a king bed and it was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever experienced. There is mosquito netting over the bed, but we never had to use it. The AC works great, but in the evening we opened our window and turned the ceiling fan on and it was very comfortable. Our rooms were cleaned every morning while we were at breakfast. My only very small complaint is that the floors were quite dirty in our rooms. My fiance and I wore socks around to keep our feet clean and it wasn't a big deal.

Food:
The first night we ate at the Bay Bistro restaurant. Good food, but smaller portions than we are used to. We ordered an appetizer or salad, entrees and dessert, so we were not at all hungry after dinner! If it is in season, get the lobster, it was the best value and sooo good. The grouper and tuna entrees were also excellent.
At breakfast the next day we discovered that the Continental breakfast that is included with the room only includes: juice, coffee, toast and a piece of fruit. That was ok for me, but my fiance ended up ordering more off the menu each morning for breakfast. He said that the omelets were great.
We only ate there once for lunch, but it was also great!
Other restaurants we enjoyed were Hemmingway's at the Sands, Mango Reef, and Baci. We ate at O'Soliel next door at the Somerset and did not feel it was worth the money. It was good, but very expensive for what you got. Oh, and you must go to Da Conch Shack. Had a great time there!

Other:
Towels: The hotel does provide towels, but it was hit or miss if they would be available when we needed to exchange them. We had packed towels and we used our own quite a bit.
The people who were staying at the Sibonne when we were there were very friendly. From our balcony we met our neighbors on either side of our room. We had wonderful conversations and restaurant reccommendations from them.
Do, do, do rent a car. Driving on the left side of the road was not that big of an adjustment. We went to some isolated beaches and spent a fabulous day at Taylor Bay. Drove to the casino one night and had a good time.

We didn't want to leave! Would we go back? In a heartbeat. This is not a fancy hotel, but if you appreciate peace and quiet, relaxation, and an awesome beach, you will be in heaven here. Another bonus was that there were no children staying at the resort!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank MMKcms
Reviewed December 19, 2008

Stayed here from Dec 14 to 19. Rooms are decent quality - A/C works well, ceiling fan pleasant, small fridge, bed comfortable. Proximity to beach is unbeatable. Service ranges from pretty bad to average at best (front desk and Bistro restaurant). The bad service was not due to incompetence but a strange attitude. Some of the staff seemed to resent their jobs. I often felt like saying "hey I too wish I was a rap star but instead I'm a corporate wage slave...I deal with the cards I've been dealt, so why don't you!" Rooms were not cleaned until late in the day in the final 3 days, and towels were not replaced until much later (told that laundry was not done yet - the place was less than half full so I hate to think how they cope with a full house). Bistro food was generally not as good as the other restaurants along Grace Bay except for the grilled lobster dish. For $38, you get a big serving. You'll have a great stay if you come here with zero expectations for service; constantly remind yourself of the much lower rate you pay compared to the rest on Grace Bay; and spend part of that savings in the restaurants in Regent, Somerset, etc next door.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family