“Queen Ann Suite #211 - Perfect!”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed August 3, 2006

We spent the month of July in Provo, staying in the Queen Ann Suite which we found on the [----------]. It is a 1bedroom/1bath suite just steps from one of the most perfect beaches on earth. We are a family of four and found the suite exceedingly comfortable - even for a month. The tropical lush landscaping of the Royal West Indies is absolutely beautiful. And the staff was fantastic. We highly recommend the Queen Ann Suite #211!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank seaworthy
Write a ReviewReviews (2,032)

Reviewed July 29, 2006

We stayed at the Royal West Indies from July 22-28th. It was very relaxing and just a great time. The beach was awesome and the pools were great too. This is not a place to go to if you want to party. This is a hotel to go and just RELAX! The Mango reef restuarant was very good and the staff was nice but very slow. I am a bartender in Atlanta at a hotel and the service could have been more attentive but all in all a very nice vacation. I read a review earlier on this site about bedbugs. Well, this is true. You can get bit up pretty well here but nothing out of the ordinary on a tropical island. My girlfriend did try to get a massage appointment but that was not to be. I don't know if it was the front desks responsibility to contact her or the massage therapist. Again, I work for a hotel so that is a flaw they should work on. There are really no other options for dining other than the Mango Reef. There are other restuarants but they are scattered around the island. I would recommend this hotel and would come back to visit.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank kdep888
Reviewed July 27, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the RWI from June 17-24, 2006. We had a fantastic time! The room, grounds, service, beach and restaurant all exceeded expectations. A detailed discussion of each follows:

1) Room -- We stayed in an Ocean View 1 bedroom suite, in building 2. The room had a view of the water and Grace Bay beach from the area directly in front of the Hotel and to the left (facing the water). Our view of the beach and water to the right was partially obstructed by building 1 (the oceanfront rooms). About 75% of the view from the porch was of the water. The room was clean and spacious, the furniture and appointments were all in top notch shape and had a pleasant island decor. The air conditioning was very effective, which was good because I can't stand a hot room. I never felt overheated when in the room or trying to sleep. I could hook up my laptop to the wireless signal coming from the restaurant if I was outside on the deck, but not in the room. If you can’t get any wireless signal, you can go to the main building.

We had a few bugs in the room on the second night – they showed up in the bathroom and appeared to be attracted to the soap and shampoo in the shower. We called the front desk at about 9:30, and someone was in the room in 10 minutes to spray around the windows. The bugs never showed up again.

2) Service – We found the service to be very good when compared to other island destinations – especially at the front desk. We never had a problem getting something that we asked for, whether it be information, a reservation at an off-site restaurant, a tee time at the golf course, or a movie from the collection in the main building. One afternoon there were no towels available on either of the tables – a quick visit to the front desk, where they made a call to maintenance, and 2 minutes later a young man showed up with two freshly laundered towels. Most of the workers were extremely friendly and helpful. Frankly, in my opinion there is no basis for the recent complaints about the hotel staff in recent reviews.

3) Restaurant – We ate breakfast at the restaurant 4 times, lunch 3 times, and dinner once. Though there is not a lot of publicity surrounding the Mango Reef, we found the food to be quite good, though a bit pricey. Pancakes or French Toast with fresh fruit for breakfast was very good. I had a jerk wahoo special for lunch that was outstanding. My wife enjoyed a very good shrimp quesadilla. Service at the restaurant is typical island time – definitely not as good as it was at the rest of the resort.

4) Beach – The beach itself is worth the price of admission. We are not morning people, and we had no trouble finding an umbrella and chairs at any time. If you don’t like your spot on the beach, the staff is happy to move your umbrella and chairs to a better location. We’re not pool people, but they did look very nice.

5) Excursions – The excursion desk will set you up on any snorkeling-sailing-fishing trips you may want to take during your stay. They are affiliated with a company called Silver Deep, as are many of the other hotels. We did a combo trip, with snorkeling and a stop at Little Water Cay and thought it was definitely worth the money. We also rented a Jeep and drove around to explore the island – very highly recommended. Driving on the left isn’t that difficult. Make sure you rent from an established company – if you do your reservation through the front desk, make sure that you tell them you want to rent from Hertz or Avis.

Overall, we were very happy with our choice of RWI. We have traveled around the Caribbean, including Anguilla, Antigua and the Bahamas. The RWI measured up to any other location we’ve stayed at. I can safely say that the recent negative reviews are without merit. I would recommend this resort without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
18  Thank RtRoth33
Reviewed July 25, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a four-night stay at RWI and loved it. We have two young kids at home and this was our first vacation alone in about four years. We were looking for a lower-key alternative to the all-inclusive resorts, heavy on relaxation and light on sightseeing. American Express Travel steered us to Turks and Caicos and specifically to RWI, and both fit the bill perfectly.

We stayed in a beachfront studio, room #122. I would definitely request Building #1 (there are 8 buildings) as it was the closest to the beach and had a great view. The condo was roomy, clean and nicely appointed. The washer/dryer was a huge plus as it allowed us to pack lightly. The lanai was great for early morning reading but by the time the sun was at full strength, it was much too hot to sit out there.

Grace Bay beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and we spent most of our time hanging out there. The water was ideal -- calm and crystal clear. Gorgeous. We took a few dips in the resort pools, which are nice and generally uncrowded, but the beach was so nice that we wouldn't have missed the pools at all. (Good thing too, the main pool was closed all day Saturday "for maintenance.")

RWI has about 8 bicycles that guests can sign out for free and that proved to be a great touch. The Ports Of Call shops are about a 4-minute ride down the road and there was a convenience store there where we stocked up on bottled water, snacks, wine and beer. Prices were not outrageous ($2.50 for a 1.5l bottle of water, $17 for a bottle of Kendall Jackson chardonnay -- roughly equivalent to Manhattan prices).

We took a morning trip one day to Coral Gardens ($10 cab each way) to snorkel and were happy we did. We also parasailed off RWI's beach ($140 for a 20-minute tandem ride -- amazing way to see the reefs and the island.)

We had breakfast and lunch at the Mango Reef almost every day. Food was very good and the prices were a bit more reasonable than elsewhere on the island. Service was spotty, especially at the bar, and could drag a bit, but everyone was polite and accommodating. I recommend the Turk's Head Amber if you're a beer fan.

Dinners: Tiki Hut was OK. Great location on the dockside. Magnolia was absolutely beautiful and had a great wine list. They had their own private-label chard that was delicious and pretty sharply priced at $46. We went at about 7:00 to take advantage of the views at sunset. Food and service was very good and pretty expensive. We had lunch next door at The Grill at the Grace Bay Resort, which was wonderful. That prompted us to go back there for dinner at Anacaona. The beachside seating was breathtaking and very romantic. Food was awesome, the wine list was short but impressive, and very pricey. This was our best and most expensive meal. And walking to dinner on the beach at sunset was very nice.

We would definitely go back to TCI and RWI. If you consider yourself a high-maintenance traveler and demand impeccable, full-service accomodations then RWI is probably not for you. But if you're a bit more laid back and are looking for something above the camp-like atmosphere of Club Med/Beaches, but a step down from the 5-star luxury of the Palm/Grace Bay resorts, Royal West Indies is a perfect spot. It's small and less crowded, beautifully landscaped and private, and it just has a nice, comfortable feel to it.

We would definitely go back and I would certainly be comfortable taking our two young sons with us next time.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
17  Thank eddieot
Reviewed July 22, 2006

We stayed at the Royal West Indies for a week and loved it! The beach is quiet, peaceful and just plain gorgeous. The staff were all super friendly and the grounds were beautiful. There were not many people there when we went, so it was very relaxing. It was a great value compared to other upscale hotels and we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Provo. WE LOVED IT!

Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank jsmm
Reviewed July 19, 2006

We were very excited upon arrival to the Royal West Indies, it was our honeymoon, and the pictures and reviews we had seen had looked great! But I would definitly think twice about considering the Royal West Indies as your vacation destination.
Much to our dismay, we awoke every morning with itchy red bumps all over our bodies, after being ate alive by bed bugs. The bites occured only at night while we were in bed. We reported this to the front desk, they seemed to be aware of the problem, but offered no help or solution. So we desperately tried everything we could think of to get rid of them. We requested new sheets, we put the sheets in the dryer right before bed, we did everything. But it was no use. Every night we would dread getting into bed, but what could we do? By the end of the week we were considering sleeping on the floor, just to avoid the itchy bites! It really creeped us out!
On top of that, the staff at the Mango Reef Restaurant and Bar were incrediably and blatantly rude. It got to the point where we swore off ever returning to the restaurant because of the manner in which we were treated. But being as the Mango Reef was the ONLY restaurant at this resort, it made it difficult to find other convienent places to dine.
To top it all off, I got a parasite. I can only assume I contracted it from brushing my teeth in the hotel bathroom since we drank bottled water the entire time. This caused me to be ill for a week and a half. I could not leave the hotel room for the last 2 days of our honeymoon, and the trip home was extremely unpleasant. Only after visiting my doctor and being perscribed medication was I able to recover.
I would not recommend the Royal West Indies, to anyone. If for nothing else, the fact of the bed bugs, which really disturbed us the most. Not only at the time, but we worried that we might bring them home with us in our luggage. This experience really put a damper on what we hoped would be a romantic honeymoon! We were very disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
86  Thank sweetcheekx
Reviewed July 17, 2006

An island paradise! The gardens surrounding the small pools, the restaurant, and the rooms were fantastic. It is quiet, peaceful and very relaxing. All of the staff was wonderful and they were very knowledgeable about the island and very willing to help. Free access to the internet via a computer in the lobby, a small library of books/DVDs for guests, great service. RWI is a GREAT place for the money!

• Stayed: July 2006