“Great Choice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
“Great Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2006

We booked RWI based on price and the reviews on this site. We were in building 2, which is waterfront, on the third floor. The studio was good for two people, but I would go with a one bedroom if your party has more than two. We walked the beach and saw almost every resort on Grace Bay. The stretch of beach in front of the RWI was one of the best. (Beaches is the worst). I did not see a single resort I would have selected over RWI. Went to Coco Bistro, Mango Reef, Magnolia and Anacaona. The food was good at all places, but the portions were small by American standards. Anacaona is a short walk along the beach from RWI. Go there for a drink. The outdoor bar/lounge is outrageous. The reviews on this site were very accurate. I would go back to T&C in a minute and would stay at RWI again.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2006

The Royal West Indies resort was just like the pictures on the internet - beautiful, clean, wonderfully landscaped. The beach was awesome - for the most days, quiet, not too crowded, relaxing. We walked along the beach where other hotels were and it seemed Royal West Indies had the best part of the beach, chairs and umbrellas. The pools were pristine, beautiful and not overly crowded as well. The room was clean, newer, with a fridge, microwave, washer and dryer. We stayed in a studio, so we did not have as many amenities, but larger rooms had even more. The washer and dryer came in very handy mid-week. The food was great at the Mango Reef (hotel's restaurant). It was quite affordable at lunch time. Dinners could be pricey, but you'll notice that this is an expensive island to visit overall anyway. I'd advise to bring lots of snacks, bottled waters and drinks to supplement, as the IGA and other convenience stores are outrageous in price. Another tip is to get out on the beach by 7:30am, as people hoard the chairs and umbrellas. The bikes came in handy to pedal down to the stores down the road for souvenirs, extra sunscreen, etc. There is one computer for guests to use by the front desk - that was useful to check email. You have to wait your turn, as there is only one computer, but it was nice to have. The main reason I rated this as above average vs. excellent was that some of the employees (but not all) were borderline rude. It almost seemed as if they were bored, or didn't care, or were bothered with your questions. Some of the bartenders couldn't make a drink very well, either. And as far as a "rum punch party" on Mondays (which I think our travel agent told us or the website advertised), it doesn't exist, at least when we were there. We actually asked the front desk as well as the hostess at the restaurant and we were told it was on the beach deck. There was no free rum punch to be found anywhere. We walked around a bit trying to find out, but after a while gave up, feeling a little sheepish about asking everyone. We tried many different restaurants there, as well. I'd recommend Sharkbite's gorgonzola pasta - delicious!! Overall, the resort was beautiful, relaxing, and if you love just lying in the sun or at the pool, perfect. I'd definitely go back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ketchum, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2006

My wife, 9 year old daughter and I arrived late Tuesday, March 28th on the island and were greeted by the resort driver. He said when all parties were ready we would go to the resort. After about 40 minutes of waiting, we discovered that some of the people we were waiting for never made the flight. Out of the about 150 people on the plane over a hundred were off to Club Med. We got to the RWI and checked in. They quickly brought our bags to our room and a fold out bed for our daughter. It was almost 10:00 pm by now and we were hungry. They kept Mango Reef open to accommodate us. The staff was great, as was my lobster. We were told that the weather the past two days was bad and that we came just at the right time. The smell of fragrant flowers and the relaxing atmosphere were just about as perfect as a first night could be.
Off to sleep.
Wednesday-
We preplanned to go out with Captain Bill's Outback Adventure and at 9:00 the taxi was in front of the RWI to pick us up. While we waited for the taxi, I noticed that the grounds employees at the RWI were trimming bushes, general gardening and painting what seemed to be already well cared for grounds. Every day these employees were cordial and busy keeping the place emmaculate. Back to the Outback Adventure, we arrived at Sapodilla Bay and waded out to this boat with about 40 others on two decks. We went out to Turtle Rock and snorkeled with people of all ages. The water was a little rough and we stayed about one hour. The so called best thing about our adventure so far was Captain Bill, who spoke almost non-stop the whole time. He interjected jokes, some bad and some good, and my wife and I could tell that 18 years of Adventures had gone to his rum soaked brain. But he was affable and fun. Next we went to the pirate caves and saw the markings of long past pirates and perhaps maps of where they stashed their bootys. Next to a deserted beach for some relaxation and scavenging. Later i saw on a map that this was Bonefish Point. Beautiful beach and water. I waded out with my daughter and found large quantities of starfish, urchins and other aquatic life. Bill then made lunch, on board barbeque, chicken and hot dogs, coleslaw, beer and rum punch. Nice lunch, enough food for an army and more stories from Bill. We packed up and cruised back to Sapodilla Bay around 4:00 for our return to the RWI. On the way, Bill kept us busy telling us about the homes we saw as we cruised close the the coast. All in all a great first day intro to the island. I asked our taxi driver if he would take us to the IGA before returning us to the RWI. He said no problem. The market was great. We found everything we wanted and thought that the prices were a little higher but not out of line. Breakfast and lunch stuff and even tonic water. About $150.00 later we were on our way. When we got back, my daughter said dad lets swim in the pool. We noticed other families with kids at play so I knew that my daughter would have playmates at the resort. For dinner, we decided to take a walk down the beach and had Hemingways in mind. No reservation and the place was fairly busy. After about 2 minutes we were seated at a nice table out near the beach. Food was good, not great. I had the grouper and my wife had two appetizers and I think that this would be a better lunch place. Prices were fairly standard.
Taxi back to the RWI. Nine bucks.
Thursday-
Beach Day at RWI. The waves were up and enough so that we could body surf. I taught my daughter and she did well until she got crunched by a wave and was scared. Sun is hot and even 50 spf does not make it if you are fair. We took a 3 hour walk down the beach to see what it was like in the other resorts. Beaches was a zoo. Too many people. Palms was beautiful, nice pool. A little stuffy and kids with designer sunglasses on. Down to Coral Gardens where we heard the best snorkelling was on Grace Bay. Many people in the water snorkelling and we stopped for a drink at the Coral Gardens before our walk back. It was a little run down. While walking back to the RWI there were many beach vendors selling all kinds of goodies, jewelry and the like. My wife and daughter had a field day as they bargained with the sellers for their purchases. Walking away and them running after you to make the deal. All my daughters friends got necklaces during that walk. We had no problem with towels or umbrellas at the RWI as I saw on other posts. We thought that the beach guy was nice as he finally rigged up one of the Hobies after being asked a few times. Many people used it after that and had fun as the wind was just about right.
We met another family with a daughter about the same age and we all played in the water together. Nice family from the south U.S.
It was time for a nice dinner and I called Coyaba in the late afternoon and got a 8:15 reservation without a problem. When we arrived I sensed a little bit of attitude and we were sat at not one of the best tables, but it was OK because soon the whole place was full. Dinner was great and service was fine. Menu is inventive and flavorful dishes, even for a 9 year old. Nice wine list a little pricey but what the heck we are on vacation. Best thing was, my wife picked up the check. About $400.00 dollars, good wine.
Friday-
Beach/Pool day at RWI. After a while you need to get out of the sun. Water was calm, hardly any waves. This afternoon, we decided it was time to explore the island and to do that wew needed a car. I set up a rental from Rent A Buggy down the Leeward Highway. They pick you up and return you after you turn in the car. Some acquaintances from our town were also in Provo and invited us over for dinner at a home they rented in the leeward area on the beach near the marina. So we spent a late afternoon on their beach and drank Turks Head beer as we got to know each other. They had two boys and our daughter played well with them as they searched for shells on the beach. We were having such a good time talking, we just about forgot dinner. Anyways, the two bottles of wine I had brought from home got consumed getting to know some great people.
Saturday-
We got up real early so that we could go to Coral Gardens snorkelling and early was the best time. We went out left of the preserve area and soon we saw a large amount of friendly turtles out for a morning stroll. A big, perhaps 40 pound barracuda just leering at us. Closer to to preserve lines were lots of fish in all colors all over the place. By 10:00, it was getting crowded and it was time for us to go. Back in the car and off to Malcolms Beach. Had fun driving in the Blue Hills area, more of a locals place. And out to Malcoms Beach. Beautiful place some snorkelling and the Amanyara Resort. Nice but maybe too far away from everything.Hot day and again hard to stay in the sun. Hungry? Da Conch Shack just up the road. A cold Red Stripe Beer and some conch. Cracked conch is my recommendation. Fritters are good but alot of dough. Conch cerviche is also good. Place is great and the help although somewhat slow, is great for that afternoon glow after a beach like Malcolms. It's a must. Dinner time after a full day of wandering, who wants to get back in a car. Just walk down to Coco Bistro from the RWI about 5 minutes. Beautiful setting and nice light food with a hint of french.
Sunday-
Day of Rest? No Way!!
Wake up in the morning and it is calm. Dead Calm. No wind and I am going bonefishing. Or why did I bring my eight weight all this way. My wife is not to happy as she is not doing something herself. Puts me in the dog house sort of. I need to be there about 12:00 for afternoon half day. Only time available. Best to go in the morning as the tide comes in and the fish follow to feed. Also calmer in the morning. Thank god our new friends from home call and my wife invites them over to spend the day at the RWI as our guests. Now she's busy and I can go without feeling grief. My guide was a nice North Caicos born belonger and he took me out to the mangroves towards North Caicos. We did not see to many fish to cast to and the wind was strong. Fifty feet at 2:00 backhand cast into the wind. Oops sorry they got spooked. Then I caught a few in the flats area, smallest take the fly first and the breeze on the water makes it hard to see them. All back into the water to be caught again. We got out of the boat and walked a ways up these waterways and slowed at a junction of another waterway. Two fish in the shallows, nice size and very quietly we get into position and I cast about 30-40 feet and strip in. Wham and my reel is screaming of line into my backing. He was about 5-6 pounds and that made my day. Back to the leeward marina with pictures and memories.
Drive back to the RWI and find my family and friends happy from their day together. No one mad at my fishing excursion and we are all hungry from our travels. Lets try Grace's Cottage for our last night dinner. I call for reservations and she is not sure she can take us till 8:30-9:00. I left our number and decided to call again, this time a man answered and he was able to confirm 7:30. Perfect! We arrived and what a great setting, the best for our last night. Our waitress was attentive to our needs and the lobster I had was delicious as was everything else everyone ate. Nice wine list too. Mer Soleil Chardonnay nice and buttery. For my money this was the best meal on our trip.
Monday-
We have to leave. Before we do, we check out and go to our friends rental and walk one more time on the beach with the kids and have lunch until its time to get our shuttle from the RWI to the airport. While waiting for the shuttle at the front of the RWI, there again are the employees of the resort painting the entrance poles that hold up the portico. What maintenance!!

Do I have to go? My family wants to move here. Even if its only to get away from winter for a while each year.
We will be back. No doubt about it. Last week, all we could talk about is being back in Provo and that was while we were buckling up our ski boots to get back on the mountain in our hometown.

Stayed March 2006
19 Thank troutcrack
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2006

My wife and I just got back from our visit to the Turks and Caicos Islands. We had a wonderful stay at the Royal West Indies Hotel. Gardens were beautiful, beach was nice, restaurant was good, two swimming pools just right, room was great, etc etc. Only negatives: 1) not much snorkel gear for loaning out (but you can rent some quality stuff from Provo Dive Shop nearby) and 2) internet connection (free in lobby) was hit or miss. But these two negatives are not much at all given all the positives. We don't have any young children, but this would be a good place to bring them given the pool and beach. Would not even consider looking for other accomodations if we were to make a return visit to this island.

10 Thank Individually-twisted
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2006

We just got back from Providenciales today. Royal West Indies was a great place to stay. The landscape was gorgeous, the room fantastic and the staff was very friendly. We found it a very friendly, safe place with exactly the right amount of activities. While we could hear the Club Med noise, we found plenty of tranquillity and relaxation. I've never seen more beautiful water and beaches. We used the hobie cat. We went snorkelling and scuba diving, and we rode horses on the beach. My 13 year old daughter really enjoyed the time, as we did. Prices were a little high, but not much more than the Naples area in Southwest Florida. The gecko pass was a bargain. We used it to get groceries at the IGA, so breakfast and lunch were covered. The dinners were okay, but most were average quality and high prices. We loved the steak at the Gecko Grill at Ocean Club. We even did an evening walk on the beach to get there. It was a great getaway from traffic jams and the craziness of everyday life.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2006

My Wife and I spent 5 nites(3/30/06-4/04/06) at this beautiful resort. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The Mango reef was good for breakfast and lunch but so-so for dinner. The beach and pools are beautiful. We had dinner at Coco Bistro(5min walk east)great food but expensive soup to nuts +2 drinks $150 tip incl. The last nite we had dinner at Hemmingways($110 tip incl) at the Sands resort we took the gecko bus(3day pass for 2 unlimited ride $44)and walked back(30 mins)to RWI along a beautiful white sands beach at dusk. RWI a great place For rest and Relaxation.

7 Thank fredg
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at RWI from 3/22/06-3/26/06. We had a garden view studio just above the second pool. The room was clean, spacious and had a large balcony – perfect for two people for 4 nights. It was toward the back of the resort but we didn’t mind being a short walk from the beach & restaurant.

The beach is absolutely gorgeous – RWI is in a perfect spot on Grace Bay. The water was so clear and calm you could see fish swimming by. I would recommend reserving beach chairs by 8-8:30 am every morning. We had no problem getting towels, chairs and an umbrella on a daily basis. There was also an ocean kayak, snorkel gear and a few Hobie Kats you could rent out. The beach staff is friendly and will help you move chairs and umbrellas to wherever you want them. The pools also looked very nice – there were many chairs available, but we are not pool people so really didn’t hang out there.

We thought the food on the island was excellent – we loved all the seafood! The Mango Reef restaurant at RWI is great. We ate a few dinners & lunches there. Service is a bit slow everywhere – but you are on island time so nothing is rushed – we didn’t mind it at all. We also ate at:
*Hemingway’s – excellent food, great music on Thursday nights, took a $3/person taxi to restaurant
*Coco Bistro – short walk from RWI, food was ok – we should have gone to Magnolia instead per a hotel employee
*Grill at Grace Bay – right next to RWI – went there for lunch and it was great but expensive
*Lounge at Grace Bay – they have outdoor couches, chairs, beds – was a great place to have a bottle of wine and dessert after dinner. Highly recommended – staff was so nice. They were hosting a wedding there that night so we got to listen to the band. It is a short walk back on the beach to the RWI.

We brought a cooler down to take to the beach and didn’t really use it. A six-pack of beer was $15-$18 at Ports of Call and you are better off just getting drinks from Mango Reef. They gave us a bucket of ice to take down to the beach. Overall, everything is more expensive there, but understandable.

The front desk can make dinner reservations for you and we also worked with an island booking agent to go snorkeling. We took the Friday Snorkel Safari on Sail Provo and had a blast – like I said before the water is so clear and we saw some beautiful fish and enjoyed the boat trip! The front desk also organized our shuttle to the airport, which was on time and reliable.

Overall we loved Provo and cannot wait to visit again. The island is still developing but that is what is so charming about the place. RWI is a great value for the money and on a great spot of Grace Bay. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2006