“Awesome”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed August 20, 2009

My wife and I just got back from our first trip to Turks and Caicos. We stayed at the Royal West Indies Resort in a Studio room. Rm# 314. Room contained a King bed, full referidg, microwave, bar size sink, TV etc. Shower/tub in bathroom. Porch had table and 4 chairs. We had a private patio with table and chairs. We were right across from the Mango Reef restaurant.
The first thing we noticed was how quiet it was. Even there there were 3 pools and a hot tub, the place was quiet and relaxing. WE could sit on the porch and watch people as it was semi private with the shrubary, but still had privacy. The gardeners, housekeepers, receptionists, and managers all treated us like we were the only guests they had. Very friendly and always asking what they could do to make out stay better. Awesome.
Turks and Caicos is pricy, but with the use of the hotel bicycle, I was able to ride to the store, pick up supplies and be bacl at tje hotel in 25 minutes. (not bad for a 60 yr old who had not been on a bicycle in 40+ years) My wife and I bout fixins for sandwiches and breakfasts and would dine out in the evening.
The beach had white powder sand. Some of the softest I have ever been on. beautiful. It was easy to walk to other restaurants by wazlking the beach as well. We would go down to the beach around 6:45 pm with cocktails in hand and sit at the tables and listen to the music from Club Med up the beach (awesome live entertainment) when they played for happy hour, and enjoy the sunsets, (and ther were a couple that were some of the best I have ever seen) always looking for the green flash (never saw it) as the sun set.
The we could walk to other restaurants up the beach or back to the Mango Reef (try their fantastic Pizza with Mango on it), for one night we walked up the street to the Coco Bistro (double awesome, pricy, but worth the expense and atmosphere, again treated like the only guests)
All extra activites can be arranced in the hotel lobby. I am a diver and arranged all 11 dives I did with Provo Divers, who picked me up and brought me back after awesome diving each day. My wife a non diver went horseback riding on the beach (somewhere else on the island) and to the conch farm. We went to see the glow worms one night as well.
My wife and I have traveled around the caribbean, mexico, and the pacific. I have 300+ dives around the world, and I would recommend the hotel, diving and all around experiences to all. We continue to try new places all the time, but this is the second place we have both said we would go back to in a heartbeat. (I would go back to Bonaire in a heartbeat as well)
If you are looking for a quiet place to relax, this is the place, WE saw small children there and there is a small pool for them, but we never heard them. All the people we saw and met while there was awesome as well.
We changed from Mexico to Turks and Caicos when we got to the travel agent, and never regretted it one bit. Pricy, but we had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank akfishguide
Write a ReviewReviews (2,020)

Reviewed August 3, 2009

Recently, I stayed at Royal West Indies in July for 6 nights, Floor plans include studios or one and two bedrooms with kitchenette, washer/dryer and balonies. All units are owned and subleased to guests. Choices are Botanical or ocean view rooms . Restaurant and bar on site (ask for Ramone) he is funny and is the best server. The assistant manager (Eddie) has the skills to represent the property and demostrates his talent well. This is my 5th visit but the first stay here, everyone on the entire island is very friendly and love citizens from the states.

2  Thank buya40
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife and I just returned home from our honeymoon in TCI at the Royal West Indies. We stayed for 6 nights and the resort was very nice. These reviews were so helpful I got almost exactly what I expected in RWI when we arrived.

The Island:
My wife and I were overwhelmed by the beauty of Provo from the time we arrived to the time we flew back home. the beach on Providenciales was by far the most beautiful beach I've ever set foot on. I am more of a pool type of guy on beach vacations but I never went into the pool at RWI once during the entire trip. The ocean was simply amazing. As good as the pictures are it simply cannot compare to seeing it all fist hand.

The Action (or lack thereof):
Provo from all that we could tell, is a huge SCUBA diving destination. The fact that the 3rd largest reef in the world is located here is no doubt, the main reason. Neither my wife nor myself are SCUBA certified, and we didn't feel terribly comfortable with a "short" island lesson so we opted for snorkeling almost the entire time we were there (5 times total). However, we only went with a commercial group once and that was a great experience as well. We chose Caicos Dream tours at the suggestion of Tripadvisor and loved it. They picked us up on the beach in front of RWI. We snorkeled, dove for conch, and went to Iguana Island to clean and eat the conch for $90 per person. All in all a 3 hour trip (1:00p.m.-4:30 approx.) We rented a car on the 2nd day for $40 a day, I highly recommend it.. We were able to get off of the resort property and explore the island on our own. There are some great beaches within a 5 to 10 minute drive from RWI, that make the car rental worth it. You can get snorkel gear for free at RWI, so we did, and jumped in the Daihatsu Charade and hit the beach between the Coral Gardens and the Windsong Resort. There we spotted sea turtles near the reef just a few feet off the beach. There are a few more beaches to drive to for snorkeling but I had to mention the place we saw the turtles. It was awesome watching those guys. We tried 3 times to SNUBA but the people were all booked up most days and they told us they had to do less trips because of decreasing visibility. Next time we'll try and book that excursion first and we won't wait 3 days.

The Driving:
Be careful! You have to drive on the left side of the road but you'll get used to it pretty quickly. They also have very few stop signs they use what is called "roundabouts". Basically, a roundabout is a circle that you yield through when driving. Navigating these is nerve racking at first but also easy to get used to.

The Food:
The IGA everyone talks about is really called Graceway Gourmet. It's walking distance but it's about 3/4 of a mile walk, Avis rent a car is right across the street. They also have multiple car rental stores at the airport. Overpriced but still much better than dining out all the time. I paid about $24 for a 12-pack of Corona so $2 a beer isn't good for a grocery store but better than $4.50 at the Mango Reef Bar. Overall we paid more than at our local grocery but the ability to have some lunches and even dinners at the resort in our kitchen saved us a good bit of money. The restaurant at RWI is the Mango Reef, we only ate there once. It was good but there are so many great options right there in Grace Bay we ventured off quite a bit. We had lunch at the Mango Reef and had 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 3 beers (Turks Head Lager) and a bottle of water for roughly $90.00. This was our first meal on the island and we'd soon find out that most things for sale on the island are far more expensive than in the US. We had lunch at Calico Jack's and like everything we had. We had conch salad, jerk chicken wings, and fried grouper. We had lunch at the Saltmills Diner and I had the best dish that I ate the whole trip here. Black beans, shrimp, scallops, fish, and conch sauteed with coconut milk over steamed rice. Yoshi's for sushi was good but I've had better in the states and the service was poor for us and the tables around us. Dinner at Coco Bistro was the overall the best dinner experience we had. Softshell Crab tempura and grilled mahi mahi that simply great. Caicos Cafe was only decent at best.

The resort:
I suggest renting a car so that you can get out and explore the island and not stuck waiting on shuttle or taxi service, although both are available. The room (#315) was nice and clean and exactly what I expected. We had wireless internet for the first 3 days but when the weekend came for some reason the connection was lost. The front desk offered to send someone to the room to "check it out" for us but I know my computer, it was their issue not mine. Their simply was no signal. On the same day the remote control for the TV went out. Not a big deal at all because TV is not a priority on TCI but when you want to watch you want a remote. The bed in the room was as bad as everyone says if not worse! My wife and I never really notice the beds when we travel but these were so unbearable that we slept on the pull out sofa for the last two nights. My wife never complains of poor sleep but she woke up everyday complaining and had soreness in her back, no kidding!

So we learned a few lessons along the way and are prepared for our return, whenever that may be. We loved the island, enjoyed almost all of the food, and had an adequate stay at the resort.

7  Thank revrip13
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband and I just got back from 8 nights at the Royal West Indies and we couldn't be happier with the hotel and the island! It was by far our most relaxing vacation ever and we definitely thought it was the best caribbean island we've been to. The water is so beautiful its almost indescribable. The staff at the hotel is super friendly and helpful. It is affordable and good value for money. The rooms are bright and clean. We had one of the smaller garden view studios that's equipped with a refrigerator, microwave and toaster and this was a really useful addition. The IGA is really only a mile away and with the free bicycles the hotel provides its and easy trip to get breakfast and lunch items. Some reviewers said the IGA doesn't have alcohol-this is completely untrue. We purchased wine, beer and rum there. We didn't seem to have a problem with the mattresses as other reviewers did but then we like a firmer mattress. Mango Reef is a very nice restaurant and has lovely staff! We also really enjoyed Coco Bistro which is set in a beautiful palm grove and has truly excellent food. Hemingway's was good but not overly memorable. We went to Grace's Cottage on our last night and enjoyed a truly lovely dinner. The setting was great and the food was outstanding. Its much quicker (and nicer) to walk down the beach if you are going to any of the Grace Bay hotel restaurants. We also took a snorkeling trip with Silver Deep (a big catamaran group trip that goes twice daily) and had a ton of fun. I'm not big into snorkeling, much to my despair, but had fun swimming in the great water and eating french conch salad. It was worth the $75. One last quick tip. Half way through our trip, my sunglasses broke. I was told by a lady we met at dinner that night who lives on Grace Bay that the Club Med store carries sunglasses, a wide selection of sunscreen, burn ointment, swimsuits, postcards and general merchandise. All at reasonable prices. It was a really helpful tip!

3  Thank sarahemh
Reviewed July 19, 2009

This was our first trip to TCI and RWI (7/5 to 7/12/09). We stayed in a garden view studio.

Room was nice, clean, and comfortable. The grounds are spotless, the landscaping is lush, the pools clean, and the beach area well managed. The hotel provides detergent for the washer, paper towels, coffee filters, coffee, and powdered creamer. Also included are an iron board and hair dryer. They have bikes with baskets, hobies, snorkel gear, and kayaks (all have time limits). There is wireless internet in the room and one pc in lobby. We brought a netbook so we could make calls back home using Skype which worked out really well. The in-room safe was big enough to hold the netbook but probably not a full-sized laptop. We had no problems with our incidentals bill -- a copy is left for review the night before check out. Also the front desk will call the night before to see you would like transportation arranged to the airport. Overall the property is very well managed and staffed.

The beach is amazing. The water is crystal clear, no rocks or debris on the bottom, no seaweed, and very warm. Make sure to bring a cheap floaty. The beach never seemed crowded but there was always a nice level of activity. The only people that approached us on the beach were the parasailing guy and the glow-worm tour guy. I’m not sure if you’re allowed to drink on the beach or not but everyone was. There is at least one staff member on the beach from 6 to 6.

The pools are very nice. The larger pool, next to the restaurant, is for everyone and has a small toddler area. The smaller “quite” pool area has the hot tub. I don’t know if the pools are heated but they felt like they were. Although the pools aren’t big they never seemed to be crowded or overrun with kids. We never had trouble getting a lounge chair. Drinking around the pool area seemed acceptable; no one said anything to us if we weren’t supposed to.

Out of convenience we ate mostly at the hotel restaurant, Mango Reef. Service, food, atmosphere, and value were good. You can expect to pay for two people about $85 for dinner and $35 for lunch (you can charge to room). They switch to the dinner menu at six so if you want to save a few dollars go a little early and order dinner off lunch menu. You can order snacks after six from the bar like pizza.

We also ate Somewhere’s ($35), a beach front café right near Coral Gardens, which we really liked and Anacaona. Anacaona is right next to RWI at the Grace Bay Club. It’s adult only and reservations are required. Men are supposed to wear a closed-toe shoe but my husband didn’t have any and got away with a sandal. It’s right on the beach and every night they light what seems like 100’s of tiki torches, very romantic. The food is expensive but worth it ($140, one drink each and an entrée).

The Ports of Call, which has a few restaurants, is within walking distance -- about 10/15 minutes by the beach. Its right across from the Seven Stars which has a beach access to Grace Bay Road -- although the access way is kind of creepy at night -- it gets dark early, about 7:45. Anything past the Seven Stars, like the Salt Mills Plaza and Danny Buoys, IMO would be too far to walk.

As most reviewers have mention the cost of food is high in TCI so you‘ll want to visit the grocery. The IGA is an easy bike ride. Prices you can expect - $4 for a 6-pack of soda; $6 for a box of cereal; $4 bag of chips; $7 for a 6-pack of Bud; $12 for a small bottle of Barefoot wine. If you plan to use a credit card bring your driver’s license and you must charge at least $25. The Fresh Bakery is practically at the entrance to the hotel and they have a nice selection of pastries, especially desserts, and they also make sandwiches to order.

My husband wanted to try bone fishing so we rented a car for one day from Grace Bay Rentals ($52 w/ins). You cannot fish from the shore on Grace Bay as it’s a national park. To purchase a fishing license you need to go the Turtle Cove Marina office which sells one-day licenses for $11 or a 30-day license ($?). The one-day license is only good for that day so if you buy it at 9am it expires at midnight. My husband fished at Flamingo Lake and at the Southside Marina area which is near the lake. Flamingo Lake shore line is mucky and brushy, there’s really no place to sit so it‘s probably best not to bring the family. Everything was easy to find just using the map you can get at the hotel.

Our only other self-guided excursion was snorkeling at the reef at Coral Gardens. We walked there from the hotel, it’s far - about 3 miles one way, but it was a lot of fun. There are also two piers on the Club Med property (next door) that have a lot fish activity. If you walk past Club Med the hotels end and you’ll come to a big house on the point and just a little way more is a small reef you can snorkel at as well.

We did not feel unsafe at the resort or during the day out and about but I personally would not walk around after dark. I did noticed a lot of security -- the IGA has a guard, Ports of Call had a guard at night, and it seems most hotels have a guard at least at night

A couple miscellaneous things…only had use bug spray one night, we drank bottle water but other than that we were not especially cautious about the food and had no issues, when you arrive at the PLS airport a staff member will ask you what hotel you are staying at and direct you to a van going your way--you pay when you get on so have your money ready (van ride $15/pp plus tip), we did not have to pay a departure tax at the airport.

3  Thank USA_191414
Reviewed July 16, 2009

This was our second trip to the turks and we chose to return to the RWI - the resort is still the best value for money on the island and we noticed a few upgrades such as wifi, kayaks etc. that weren't available a few years ago. They have GOT to upgrade their mattresses though - I had terrible back pain during the trip - springs were poking me etc. I couldn't figure out where I could acquire an egg crate (the hotel didn't have any) so I got several extra pillows and slept on a row of them for a week. Everything thing else here is still great.
Food - we ate at Lemon and loved the food and atmosphere. Also ate several meals at Mango Reef and they still continue to do a great job and are reasonable. Hemmingways was having issues - disorganized and messed our order up. Coco Bistro was great again and we also enjoyed Magnolia this trip - great sunset view. Fresh was great for morning pastries and right across from RWI (get there early for the ham and cheese pocket)
Activities
The boys did a lot of bonefishing out on the flates near flamingo lake - we did go out to bonefish point but didn't see a whole lot (but I did find some star fish). They found plenty of places to fish without forking out $500 for a half day guide. I had read a review that sapodilla bay and taylor bay were also good spots but these are only accessible by boat.
Middle Caicos - we took the ferry over to the North Caicos and hooked up with Cardinal Arthur for the day in the middle caicos. He took us to the caves, and several beaches were we snorkeled and fished - he can also take you out in his boat if you are interested. Great guide - he really knows the area - charges $65 hr

Spa - The regent palms spa is lovely - great specials right now massages are $1 a minute on certain days of the week - that's half price and they do a great job.

3  Thank DanaWDallas_TX
Reviewed July 10, 2009

This resort was by far the best location on the island. Close to the Graceway store -which had awesome scones. The bikes made it so easy to get around to the store and other restaurants a little further away. We were in building 6 first floor 1 bedroom condo. It was a wonderful size. We had free internet connection in the room. We did have to get it worked on a few times but was great. Other complaints (which were minor) We could hear the people above us walking around about 6 or so every morning; our door lock had some issues and the ceiling fan was a little squeaky but other wise everything else with the room was great.

Lots of mosquitoes. We were rained on only two part days but other wise weather was great. Front desk girls were not rude but not friendly either. Everyone else was very friendly. Eddie at the beach was always smiles and a great help. We still keep in contact with him, he is a wonderful guy.

The beach in front of the resort is the best. Ran to the end of beach both ways and it just can't be beat. We headed to Leeward to do some snorkeling and it was good. We took a picture with a star fish we found which I will attach. The water is spectacular.

Our best meal was at Somewhere on the Beach @ Coral Gardens. It was a great lunch and the price was wonderful. Carmen gave us excellent service and wonderful food. Great upper deck for sunset drink. Wish I would have visited here first and would have returned a couple of times during our 8 day stay. The Mango Reef was a good meal, we ate there 4 times. Coco Bistro was also good but very pricey. The bread there was really good.

Rented a scooter for a day at the Buggy place across from the graceway and had a great time. Went all around the island. The Northwest point was really not that nice at all. The area around chalk sound is beautiful. Went on a snorkeling cruise with Silver Deep it was ok would have been better if it had not rained.

All in all this was a wonderful trip and would go back to Turks in a heartbeat. I would also stay at the Royal West Indies again and eat at Somewhere on the Beach.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple