“good resort, fellow guests are not so good”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2005

-There is great sand on the beach (very fine and white-colored)

-The rooms have kitchenettes and laundry machines.

-The very quiet rooms have good views of the landscaping or the ocean.

-The staff is very courteous and most of them are smiling all the time.

-The rooms are a decent size.

-The food at the resort's restaurant seems to be good (I only ate breakfast there twice).

-The water is very clear and clean. I did not see any jellyfish.

-The maid service was very thorough.

-There were geckos on the paved walkways.

-The equipment for the beach is free: snorkeling gear, umbrellas, towels, kayaks, etc.

-It is a very short and scenic stroll to the beach.

-The water is warm even at dawn.

-I am sure the teenagers are excited that the drinking age is only 18.

-The shuttle driver is very friendly and talkative.

-There is a computer with free Internet browsing in the lobby.

-Most of the other guests seemed to be white Americans from the south, probably 90 to 95 percent is my estimate. I am an American of East Asian descent. When I was checking in, another guest gawked at me even though her two children were with her. I noticed that a white couple seemed to make a point of making sure to avoid me as I was walking toward the beach. They looked up at me as they were walking in my direction (I was walking in the opposite direction towards them), looked at each other with expressions of discomfort on their faces and turned in another direction that did not have a paved path. Another white couple saw me and both of them averted their eyes from me, seeming to want to avoid eye contact with me (I was wearing sunglasses and a hat!). It was NOT JUST ME that was treated in a certain way by the other guests; I noticed that most of the white people on the beach were staring with a great deal of scrutiny at three interracial couples (a white man and a woman who appeared to be South Asian, a very tall African-American man and a white woman, a white man and an East Asian woman). It seemed like these white guests felt comfortable dealing with the Caribbean resort employees but did not feel comfortable seeing "minorities" partaking in the same enjoyments as them.

-When I was relaxing on the beach, two sunburned male guests with multiple tattoos on their bodies sat down a couple of beach chairs away from me. They proceeded to talk in a very loud manner about their recent sexual exploits and described their conquests with profanity. At one point, they observed a slightly overweight man with his beautiful girlfriend and began discussing their opinion that she should have better taste in men. I'm not too sure what these two lotharios would consider to be better taste. There were young children in the vicinity who could hear the discussion!

-There are bugs.

-The employees in charge of beach equipment seemed to assume that I must be able to lift my kayak and return it to its original storage spot because I was able to quickly row very far with it (I am an excellent kayaker but I have a very low capacity for weight-lifting, being a female). I had a lot of difficulty returning the kayak to the storage area but the employees just chuckled at me.

-The shuttle services to the other points on the island are not free.

-If you like nightlife, there is not too much on the island.

-The major grocery store on the island is expensive.

• Stayed: July 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,047)

Reviewed July 30, 2005

We stayed in 316 I believe. It's a studio with a "garden view" of the pool but because of the plants and such the patio is well shaded and have some sort of privacy. The room was clean and the nice thing was it had a full size fridge, washer/dryer, sink and dishes. PRetty good for $160 a night.
The only negative thing is mosquitoes! I guess the whole island is full of them or something but if you have the blood for it, they will sneak you out. My wife was bitten within 5 minutes being in the resort and some
snuck in the night and I was up killing all i could find. The staff there is very friendly and courteous. The food at Mango Reef was not bad but the Conch Fritters were the best there in the island.

Some tips
-- J&B Tours was the snorkel tour we took. The 3 reef snorkeling. The captian was cool guy. The lady at the shop has a "Stern" look and attitude :)

-- Use the Gecko. IT's worth it. Takes you just about anywhere. There's no set schedule because they will often adjust routes depending on how many people they have and where's everyone is going but they will come by. Many of the popular resorts (RWI,Oceans,etc) will have buses come by often. The ritzy places will see them far and few because frankly, they don't have alot of customers who use them from there.

--Spend a day at coral gardens. You can snorkel right off the beach and the Gecko takes you there! Pay $20 for the chair and umbrella from the resort and then enjoy yourselfs for hours of free snorkeling. Bring food and snacks or catch a ride on gecko to Sands or Turtle Cove for lunch.
Please do not break the rules and swim inside the roped out areas. They are there to protect the reef so others may enjoy it later. I even saw and swam with a baby turtle!

--Like people have mentioned. Save money by buying from the Grocery store and eat your lunch and breakfast in your room. Save the dinners
for the resturants. They are higher then US but it's not as bad as people say but it's true that you'll see $8 burgers here.

--Wear plenty of sun screen. IT's hot and the sun is burning in July atleast. I got a burn on the first day.

--There is no shopping in the island. So don't expect to get alot of souvenirs. No night life either (at least in the summer). It's purely
a place to chill and enjoy the water sports so I would recommend a 3 to
4 day stay as plenty before you get bored.

And yes I would go back.

• Stayed: July 2005
13  Thank DT98
Reviewed July 19, 2005

My husband and I visited Turks & Caicos last month and it was absolutely wonderful. We stayed at the Royal West Indies resort. The staff - great and extremely friendly (Patrina - my new pal whom I bothered everyday that she worked; Cleomi and Indira were real sweethearts too). The ambiance was beautiful; room always clean; food good. For us, we found the island quaint and the place to be if you want rest and relaxation as we didn't find a lot of nightlife during our stay but it was still worth the trip.

11  Thank Latrese C
A TripAdvisor Member
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed July 17, 2005

we just got back from our very wonderful, very relaxing honeymoon at the royal west indies in turks and caicos! after reading waay too many reviews through trip advisor - the royal west indies was one of the few places (in our price range) that had overwhelming positive reviews. i am so happy we chose it.
we had never been to the carribean before and we were worried about ending up at some cheesy place. the r.w.i. was just the opposite. very low key, absolutely beautiful grounds with gorgeous tropical plants and palm trees everywhere, and of course the beach is fantastic. the water is so blue! and the sand is so soft. the resort has a hobie cat, ocean kayak, and snorkeling stuff that you can take out (free of charge of course) which we took advantage of.
our room was understated but just perfect, with a lovely terrace. we had a "garden view" room, and our room was basically as far back from the ocean as they have, but that didn't even matter - they have worked to make every view perfect! we had a little kitchenette which was very nice to have, so we could have breakfast on our terrace every morning.
i had read that the staff wasn't that friendly - but they were just wonderful to us, and very helpful. the only staff we felt weren't the greatest were the beach staff, they just seem kinda grumpy. also, for their restaurant, while it isn't right on the beach, it's actually a nice restaurant, with the added bonus of being less expensive than all the other places we went to - so it was nice not to overpay when we wanted the convenience of eating at the resort.
another little touch that we liked since we weren't really there to go out and party, in the lobby they have a great dvd selection that you can take out, and a shelf of "leave a book take a book" vacation books. oh, and the lobby has an internet computer which is nice.
now about provo - it's a little weird in that there is so much construction going on (it's not loud or anything but you do see it everywhere). this is going to be a very different island in 5 years. but besides that, it was great. the best was that we could either walk to some restaurants or take the wonderful gecko (the bus that takes you basically anywhere you would need to go). our favorite restaurant by far was the coco bistro. absolutely delicious - a must go! it doesn't look all that exciting from the road, but once you walk up the driveway it is a beautiful setting. we also liked the anacaona restaurant, especially because it is right next door and you can walk to it on the beach! though warning - it is pricey, and while the food is good, it's not fantastic. but it is so beautiful at sunset, it's worth it. also, their bar, the lounge at the anacaona is absolutely fantastic and relaxing. upscale tiki somehow (also right on the beach)!
we also went on a silver deep all day boat "cruise" - not luxurious but very fun. snorkeling, shell searching, iguana island, picnic lunch on secluded beach, seeing other islands - for us, very worth it. they have someone in the r.w.i. lobby that signs you up.

overall we had an absolutely fantastic time. couldn't have asked for better!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2005

My husband and I spent a week in TCI and stayed at the RWI.
At first, we thought about staying at Club Med but after reading many reviews, we decided to look for something else that could accomodate married couples looking for some piece and quiet. Then we found RWI...
The pics looked great but what caught our attention was the reviews...They couldn't be better, so we decided to book the trip.
We flew from LA and people think that we are crazy because we have Mexico and Hawaii much closer to us, righth? But we wanted to go to THAT place! We love to scuba dive and since T&C is famous for its diving sites and wonderful marine life, that was the place. Arriving at RWI we couldn't stop appreciate the grounds, the rooms, the pools and specially :THE BEACH! Grace Bay Beach is the best one in Provo and we got very lucky for getting a special room pretty close to the beach and we could see the turquoise water from our balcony. The resort is great. The rooms are more than you can ask for (if you are a normal person, of course!). The grouds are so well groomed and maintained...The Mango Reef restaurant is pretty nice and you can make good conversations with other guests and the food is pretty good...Since we had a fridge in our room, we decided to go to the market and do some shopping for breakfast, snacks, wine, beer, water....
Our room was very comfortable and spacious. The maid came every day and changed towels every time. Going to the beach, we NEVER had any problem getting a lounge chair and towels. The hobbie cat was great and we used it all the time...and so the kayaks...So much fun....My husband and I love to paly paddle ball and we are pretty good about it and at one point, we had a few viewers asking us how could we play so good. Practice make it perfect, right?! RWI is the place that we plan to go back to sometime soon. If you like to dive, go to Dive Provo. The people there are great and our boat captain was AWESOME. His name is Julles and my dive master was Chris. Great people! Everything about RWI is great and I see people complaiting about bugs....Guess what? You are right on the beach, in a tropical climate and "fresh meat"...Don't you think that they would go after you? To prevent that, bring a bug spray and you would be just fine. Enjoy your staqying at RWI and have fun, specially when you are watching the gorgeous sunset from the wonderful Grace Beach!

• Stayed: May 2005
20  Thank cucamocca
Reviewed July 2, 2005

We spent a wonderful week (June 18-June 25) in Provo staying at the RWI resort (for more details and virtual tours visit their website, royalwestindies). The resort was built in 2002 and is very well run and maintained. We were greeted very warmly upon our arrival at the resort, the reception staff was very friendly and courteous during our whole stay. By the way, remember to bring your trip vouchers with you to the resort (the ones you get from the travel agency or airline, which look like a checkbook), you will need to present them at check-in.

There are excursion brochures, the "Where, When, How" magazine (-------), and Gecko shuttle information (as well as the Gecko passes) at the RWI reception area. There is also a computer at the lobby with free internet access for guest use, as well as a small library of DVDs and books. The RWI resort does not sell pre-paid telephone calling cards nor does it have a public telephone booth. Local and long distance calls can be made from the room, the rates are listed in the guest book in each room (calls to the US are expensive, $2.52/min from the room). Keep in mind that calls to 800 numbers are not toll free; in fact they have a connection charge of $5.00.

We were very impressed with the resort itself, the *outstanding* beach, the botanical gardens, and the ocean view studio suite we stayed at (#212 in building 2). The studio was a very clean, spacious, and well appointed, with a charming terrace, large closet, TV with DVD player, washer/dryer, modern kitchenette and nice bathroom fixtures. Being at ground level limited the view to the ocean, but we could still see some of it. On the other hand, it was really nice to have a terrace with a garden where to have breakfast or lunch. The kitchenette has a full size refrigerator, microwave oven, toaster, coffee maker, dish drainer, and also comes supplied with a full set of china (plates, cups, bowls), a strainer, large plastic bowl, measuring cups, dishwashing liquid, sponge, silverware, can and bottle openers, steak and bread knives, ice trays, coffee bags, tea bags, sugar, Equal, and creamery. Laundry detergent is also provided. As several reviewers have mentioned, there is an IGA supermarket in Provo (-------) where you can purchase all kinds of groceries, and it is serviced by both the Gecko shuttle (www.thegecko.tc) and a shuttle provided by RWI. With just one trip to the IGA, we were able to get enough food to have breakfast in our room every morning, as well as some light meals with salads, sandwiches, canned soups, and fruits.

There is free use of hobie cats, a kayak, life jackets, snorkel gear, and fins at the RWI beach area. The one minor complaint we had was the rather lousy service by the beach staff at RWI with the water equipment. Despite having two hobie cats, the staff would only make one available, it seemed like it was too much work for them to have to attend to the two hobie cats. Also, they would only let guests take the hobie cats out before 5 pm ("it's dark", they would say at 5 pm, and the sun was actually setting at 7:30 pm this time of the year...). We got the impression they were just a bit too lazy and did not want to bother.

There are two small shopping areas walking distance from the RWI: Ports of Call and the Saltmills. The Port of Calls has three restaurants (Twenty-One North, Barefoot Cafe and Calico Jacks) plus few gifts shops and the Giggles Ice Cream parlor. Also, the Caicos Cafe restaurant is located next to the Port of Calls. The Iguana restaurant is located at the Saltmills. You can walk to these areas along the main road, but it is more fun to access them from the beach, just take the entrance to the Comfort Inn (next to the lot where the Seven Stars resort will be built). You can find information about restaurants in Provo in the dining section of the "Where, When, How" magazine (-------) and also at the Turks and Caicos Information website, -------. During our vacation we tried the following restaurants:
Barefoot Cafe - moderate to expensive, they have a Conch special on Monday nights
Iguana - moderate, great selection of food
Hemingways - moderate, great menu, good selection of seafood
Caicos Cafe - moderate to expensive, great seafood variety
Sharkbite Bar & Grill - moderate, varied selection of food, family oriented
Tiki Hut Cabana Bar & Grill - moderate, they have the BBQ special on Wednesday nights, $12/person
Mango Reef - Moderate to expensive, varied menu (local and international)

For transportation, we bought a weekly Gecko shuttle pass ($33/person) and were very pleased with their service. The shuttle stops at RWI every half hour and it stops at several resorts as well as the Turtle Cove marina. For people more interested in exploring the island, renting a car is a good idea, particularly if you are traveling with a family, just be aware of the driving patterns in the islands and road conditions. Taxis are also available but they can be expensive. We also recommend people to take walks along the Grace Bay beach, you can get to some of the restaurants and also the shopping areas through the beach, and it is a particularly lovely walk. From RWI you can also walk to Coral Gardens area (for snorkeling); it is about a 3 mile walk.

In terms of paid excursions, we did the Full Day cruise with Sail Provo (---------) on a nice catamaran boat, stopping at two different reef sites for snorkeling as well as a visit to the Iguana Island (lunch and drinks included). We recommend this trip very much. We also did the parasailing with Captain Marvin's Watersports, awesome! If interested, just ask for Wilfred at the RWI beach area, or call him at 242-4343. The parasailing ride is $70/person and lasts 15 minutes, really worth it!!
We very much enjoyed the snorkeling at Coral Gardens and Smith Reef, so convenient and right off the beach!! We saw many colorful fish, a turtle, a small shark (at Smith Reef), barracudas, you name it. At these reefs you will be surrounded by small, colorful fish that may slightly bite you; they are not shy of people so they search for any red spots or moles on people's skin, like one I had in my right thigh. So don't get surprised if you feel few bytes from the little fish. We recommend that you cover any red moles with a small bandage before going snorkeling.

Last but not least, I want to emphasize on the beauty and uniqueness of the Grace Bay beach. This is a truly spectacular sight, with crystal clear turquoise waters, no waves, no rip currents, perfect temperature, it just looks and feels like a giant "salt-water pool". My husband and I are avid swimmers, so we did lap swimming along the beach (from RWI area to the small pier by the Club Med and back) every day. It was just fabulous, all we needed was our pair of UV-protected goggles and that's it! It is a great beach for the whole family, and it never gets crowded. The beach is also great for people who like to run or walk. The sand is very fine and white, and never gets hot.

Hope this long review is useful to people who plan to visit Provo and stay at RWI. It was a memorable trip and we hope to repeat this experience again in the short future.

• Stayed: June 2005
44  Thank cgparis
Reviewed July 1, 2005

We extensively researched the resorts in our price range before we booked, and we were 100%, absolutely satisfied and completely happy with RWI! We booked through VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals by Owners) so our experience will not be exactly like someone who booked through the resort directly, the main difference being that we had maid service once a week vs. daily, so though we saved a significant amount of money we had less "bells and whistles", and still loved it.
My husband is a landscape architect, and works on large developments on a daily basis, so he has a pretty critical eye. He thought the grounds were nicely landscaped, very pretty. His only criticism was that the main pool was not that big, and somewhat dated. Honestly, we were by the beach almost all the time, so it really didn't matter! He also was comparing it to the pool at the Palms which is large, grandiose and very very pretty.
We stayed in a studio oceanfront room and overall were very pleased with our choice. I missed a dishwasher, finding it somewhat challenging to wash dishes when there was simply no other place to put the dish drain than either on the floor or under the sink. If we go back to RWI, I would get a one-bedroom just for the extra space in the kitchen and to have a table inside. If we had to sacrifice an ocean front room, it would be fine, because you're on the beach all day anyway, really spending very little time in the room. Don't get me wrong, we loved the beautiful view! It was lovely to have the ocean be the first thing you look at in the morning. Also, one morning a huge storm came in, with gusts up to 55 mph. I lay on the hammock and watched it come in, oddly one of the highlights of the trip!
We found the staff at RWI to be overwhelmingly friendly and gracious, from the front desk to the restaurant to the grounds and beach staff. It was a little bit trying to get on the computer (in the lobby), as there was usually a line.
As far as the beach and water goes, I honestly find the beach at RWI to be the best on the island. It's all great, but it seems to be a bit wider at RWI than anywhere else. Because there's no construction nearby it seemed more peaceful there (though one time we did hear Club Med rocking out at lunchtime, for about an hour). We walked down to Coral Gardens and back a couple of times, about 45 minutes, for some great snorkeling. If you go the other direction for about 20 minutes, you can snorkel on some man-made jetties. I found my best shells there! When we stayed at the resort (vs. diving, driving to other beaches) we used rafts supplied by RWI and floated our afternoons away, completely happy and relaxed! JoJo the dolphin swam right in front of me in about 3 feet of water, right in front of the resort! I also stepped on a starfish on our last day. The water is the most beautiful I've ever seen. One warning - there's a pulic beach access right beside RWI, and on our last day there was a school outing! About 30 children descended, so it wasn't as peaceful then as the other days, but there's also something nice about children having fun, so we mentally adjusted and it was fine.
I highly recommend RWI. There are some nicer resorts on the island, with almost double (or higher) the nightly rate. Definitely compared to the other resorts in RWI's price range, this was the clear winner.

• Stayed: June 2005