“Another perfect stay at the Royal West Indies Resort”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Milton, Canada
“Another perfect stay at the Royal West Indies Resort”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was our 4th stay at the Royal West Indies Resort. We stayed at the resort from June 22 to June 29. I have two previous reviews on Trip Advisor regarding this same property.

My husband and I could not pass up Air Canada Vacations deal for the month of June. Two round-trip flights, taxes included, for $672! Wow! We then got in touch with Val at Turks and Caicos Reservations and he booked us a one room botanical suite. I highly recommend dealing with Turks and Caicos Reservations. This is the 2nd time that we have booked accommodations with them. The staff at Turks and Caicos Reservations live on the island and know everything about the islands and all of the accommodations. We then got in touch with Grace Bay Car Rentals and booked our rental car. Gotta love the steering wheel on the right, safest way to go.

When we arrived, we were greeted with a cool drink and our room was ready. We were in room 735, a one bedroom gardeniview suite, which faces the quiet pool. Just beautiful! Within a few minutes of settling in, we noticed that the safe could not be reprogrammed. Within five minutes, a staff member came to our suite and gave us a key to the safe. Problem solved! You will read from my first review of the RWI that a broken safe problem was never solved, nothing to do with the RWI, since we had rented privately from the owner via VRBO.

Near the end of our stay, we noticed some water on the floor when we got up one morning. We traced the source of the water to the water heater in the unit. Within five minutes, a staff was on his way up to our suite to clean up the water and look into the matter. This was around 9:00am. By the time we came into the suite around noon to head out for lunch, another staff member was installing the new water heater. We were very impressed with how quickly the problem had been solved.

One of the tasks that housekeeping does is clean up after your mess in the kitchen, including either loading the dishwasher or hand-washing your dishes. Tip them well, they work very hard.

The grounds of this property continue to amaze me. The way that the entire resort has been constructed, with lush grounds, are really beautiful. There are many properties on the island, some very high end properties, but in my opinion, no resort touches this resort when it comes to its beautiful grounds. The gardeners can be seen tending to the garden. Staff have always been polite and wonderful, despite having to deal with some less than polite guests that we observed this stay (no please and thank you.....manners people!).

We attended the Sunday night Jerk Party at the Pelican Bay restaurant, located on-site. The jerk chicken was really good and the musician that evening could actually sing, unlike some other nightly entertainment we have heard on the island that comprises of really cheesy music (sorry NADA).

We enjoyed some new restaurants this trip, such as Somewhere at Coral Gardens, Fresh Catch at the Salt Mills, and Lupo, at Regent Plaza. Lupo was probably one of my favourite meals. What a great new restaurant. Somewhere was also fantastic, we ate there twice! Fresh Catch was okay.

Please visit the Potcake Place if you are a dog lover. They are located on the ground floor at the Salt Mills Plaza. You can visit the puppies that the wonderful volunteers rescue, and donate some money to their cause. They are amazing individuals who devote much time and resources to rescuing the potcakes on the island. We volunteered to be potcake couriers to Toronto, but they did not require our services.

If you have mobility problems, I would recommend staying on the ground floor. There are no elevators. There are 8 buildings at this property. Building 1 is the only oceanfront building and it is literally on the beach. We have stayed in Building 1 twice and the views are pretty great. Other properties of later construction are set back much farther back from the beach. Buildings 2, 3, 4 and 5 are closer to the first pool and the Pelican Bay restaurant. Buildings 6, 7 and 8 are at the back of the resort and face the 2nd pool, the quiet pool and jacuzzi. What a quiet spot. We love this area of the property and it is only a minute or so walk to the beach. The 2nd floors of each of the 8 buildings have fully covered balconies, but the 3rd floors have a pergola, so you cannot really sit outside if there is rain and we had rain almost everyday the week that we stayed.

One final sweet ending to another beautiful visit to the island was the Glow Worm cruise. We attended the cruise on Wednesday night with Captain Bill. Captain Bill is.......interesting.........Anyways, while the purpose of the cruise was to see the glow worms, which was awesome, we had a few added treats.....saw a big sea turtle come up and give us a "what's up?" and then just as the sun was setting and we returned to Sapodilla Bay to wait for the glow worms, two dolphins appeared. They showed off for us for a good five minutes.......that is something I will always remember. What a wonderful treat and so special to have seen these beautiful creatures.

The RWI is our favourite place, and despite staying at other properties on Provo, we always return back. It feels like.......home.

Room Tip: The gardenview rooms in building 6, 7, and 8 all face the quiet pool and are away from the music at...
6 Thank MrWagnerMilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Hebrew first
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This was our first trip to Provo. We loved the Royal West Indies Resort.The staff were friendly and helpful (even to over demanding patrons - someone was upset because the beach hadn't been groomed!) The staff at Pelican Bay and Eddy the beach guy were amazing. I found it took a few meetings with staff before they warmed up to you, then they were fabulous. Food was okay but the events were fun, fish fry etc. Happy hour was a lot of fun and opportunity to meet great people.Gardens are beautiful and so is the beach. We had the basic room, studio botanical and it was more that adequate. Great location close to everything, just a bike ride away. We rode the bikes a lot, they are in really poor shape but get you were you need to go.
Heard some complaints about towels not being changed but for an Island with little water you can't blame them. Our room was cleaned daily. Two beautiful pools, one for adults which I liked, and one for the families.
Groceries are very expensive, be aware, shop wisely.
A must do trip is with Silver Deep - cruise to Iguana Island and more, one of the most memorable things of our vacation. A pregnant lady wanted to snorkel, the staff went in the sea with her to assist. Provo Ponies is also a great experience.
I'd choose Opus restaurant over Coco if I had to make that choice. Both were great though
Not a party place but that's why we chose RWI. Wonderful experience and can't wait to return - and will stay at RWI when we do.

Room Tip: We had room 513 - ground floor. No stairs to worry about and had our own private garden. This room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wardjulie75
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The front desk staff were not friendly. They seem moody, no smiles. Pelican bay restaurant staff especially, Stacey made the best our stay.The beach towel guys were also pleasant. Nice resort, I would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Ginampho
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This place was perfect beautiful beach area, clean room. The pool and grounds were well kept. If your looking for lots of people and loud party this is not for you. Its perfect for families and folks who want to relax hear the ocean, read a book, and really wind down and relax.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Eric F
Albany, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was our first stay at the Royal West Indies resort and our 3rd trip to Provo. We were very happy with our room (studio botanical room 523)! Apparently some (most? I don't know) of the rooms/condos are actually owned by someone and you are renting their condo. I booked through expedia and had no idea we were renting someones condo until we read the guestbook left in the condo. In our particular unit 523 the owners take super good care of the furnishings, furniture, appliances. Everything was very up to date and top notch. Not a complaint to be had. Front desk staff were helpful when we wanted to rent a car. Friendly, but not overly friendly. Beach staff, not so friendly. There was one guy in particular who I found to be quite unpleasant. They would run out of towels by 6pm. Annoying. But the beach!!!! Amazing- NOTHING could ruin my experience relaxing on the beach. Happy hour at the bar was from 5-7 2 for 1 drinks. But at $7 for a Turks Head Lager and $8.50 for a cocktail, we got our booze at the grocery store. Cab to the Gourmet IGA was $10 each way. If it wasn't too hot I'd suggest walking there and then getting a cab back. It's really not that far. They do have free bikes to rent, but I heard a bunch of complaints (old bikes, didn't work well, flat tires) from other guests. Overall for the price we paid for 5 nights I was very pleased with RWI and would definitely consider staying again. If you want a full service super resort- you're going to have to pay and there are tons of options along the beach. But if you just want a nice place that doesn't feel budget on a beautiful beach- I would suggest RWI!

4 Thank abstravel49
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the Royal West Indies from June 22-29. I can't say enough about how incredible my stay was. Before I booked this hotel, I had done a ton of research and it really was a toss up between this hotel, Villa Del Mar and the Alexandra. It came down to price in the end as Air Canada was offering a speculator deal at the Royal West Indies. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It is close to the airport, 10-15 minute walk to the grocery store which came in very handy for breakfast and lunches and the beach location is superb. I love the fact that everyone takes off their sandals/flip flops before putting there feet on the clean, white sand. The beach was amazing. The water was mostly calm and what I love about the beach is that when there is a breeze you don’t get the sand all over you (like you would in Aruba). We spent the mornings on the beach and the afternoons at the pool and it was just so peaceful.

The housekeeping was fabulous (we stayed in building 8) and Tanesha at the front desk was very helpful ALL THE TIME. Mario at the bar was funny and the service was absolute impeccable at The Pelican bar and in the restaurant. Everything we tried was amazing. The grounds were so lush and beautiful and we saw them being maintained everyday.

We walked along the beach to the Cabana restaurant and to Flamingos. You certainly can’t get a better view that at those 2 restaurants. The sunset is out of this world too! I have about 50 pictures alone on just that.

I’ve been to many all inclusive places (Jamaica, Aruba, St. Maarten, Cabo, etc) and I didn’t miss the fact that this hotel wasn’t. I wanted to eat healthy, I’m not a big drinker and I wanted a place that was quiet and beautiful and that’s exactly what I got !

6 Thank Travelbunny2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2013

we had been walking along Grace Bay beach in jan when we were staying at another hotel, we stopped here for lunch at the bar restaurant amidst a lavishly exotic landscaped vista we had a very nice lunch. this time when we went on a last minute holiday we actually saw this hotel choice and booked it. they upgraded us from a botanical view to ocean view and the studio we had was comfortable and very pleasant. the staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. the landscaping is so gorgeous you must see it for yourself. it is not a huge hotel which i also prefered. they have a couple of pools and one is actually reserved as a quiet space which we very much appreciated. Grace bay beach is one of the most beautiful if not the most beautiful beach i have ever experienced. the water was well perfect. well situated on the beach directly between club med on one side and the other the upscale Grace Bay Club (visit the infinity bar well worth it.) so in summary beautiful, excellent value, and excellent location. walk along the beach is well worth it by day and by night.

Room Tip: ocean view ask for an upgrade and just maybe you will get it. tip the maid daily as a courtesy. we...
3 Thank lucirizzo