“Perfection!”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My mother and I just got back from a stay at RWI and it was amazing. The staff was wonderful and accomodating; absolutely no complaints. I will especially like to thank Calvin, Jerome, Chris (chef), the guys that oversee the sports equipment and towels, and the bartenders Lenny and William for being welcoming and extremely nice. The hotel grounds were beautiful and our room was clean and spacious.

This was the best time of the year to go. The beach was not crowded and the weather was perfect (no rain the entire time). Can't wait to return to RWI next year!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Rikkiceska
Write a ReviewReviews (2,035)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here for a week in October. We came back after visiting for the first time last October. This is a truly wonderful place to stay in a beautiful country. No one could dispute the surroundings, the beach is pristine, the water clear and the island easy to navigate. I think what makes Provo an exceptional place to visit is its people. No matter where we went, everyone was friendly and engaging.

Especially at RWI, from the front desk to to the gardeners, everyone was helpful and pleasant. The grounds are gorgeous and the rooms very clean and well appointed. This is the perfect resort for those who want to relax, enjoy the beach and quiet pools. I don't know if I would recommend it for those with active children, there are no child specific activities (Beaches may be a better choice for that kind of entertainment), but there are activities such as snorkeling or diving excursions available on the island. Renting a car is a must. It's worth the expense to drive around the island and check out the small hidden beaches and beautiful scenery.

The restaurant on the premises, Pelican Bay, serves good food and the service is good. The gentlemen and ladies at the bar are friendly and a lot of fun.

I think the biggest endorsement is that we kept running into other guests that have visited RWI more than once. These folks keep coming back rather than visiting other islands or visiting other resorts on Provo. I can only hope that we will be able to do the same!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ltm1066
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We never go back to the same place. There are too many places to visit in this world. But somehow we were back at RWI for the 2nd time. What makes RWI/Provo so great?

It's the laid back environment. It's the remarkable Grace Bay beach. It's the reasonable price of RWI. It's the almost guaranteed beautiful weather. It's the conch. The list goes on and on.

RWI is a condo hotel located in what I think is the best stretch of Grace Bay beach. There are many resorts to choose from in Provo, ranging from moderate to very high priced. You can stay at nearby Grace Bay Club or Seven Stars for triple the price but you share the same beautiful stretch of the Grace Bay beach. If you do want to splurge or are on a honeymoon, definitely choose the higher end resorts.

What you won't get at RWI are fancy beach beds, ocean-front dining/bar, pool/beach food and bar service, on site spa or an infinite swimming pool overlooking the ocean. What you get at RWI is the consistency of clean/comfortable room, well maintained grounds, friendly beach attendants, free kayak/hobie cats, and friendly guests. RWI is for couples and families of all ages.

Last time we stayed at a studio which is a good size for a couple but only with a kitchenette (i.e. microwave). This time we rented an ocean view ground floor 1 bedroom suite directly from the owners of Queen Ann Suite which can be rented via TripAdvisor's sister company Flipkey.com. I have nothing but great things to say about the unit and the experience. The suite is located in the prime area of the resort, very close to the main pool and the beach. The unit has everything you could possibly ask for to make your stay enjoyable. It has a fully furnished kitchen so you have the choice of eating out or cooking something up. Believe me, sometimes you just want to hang out by the pool/beach and not have to go out to eat. There is a washer and dryer so you don't have to pack as much clothing (yes pack light and bring more money). You have snorkeling gear, floats, inflatable, beach toys, etc. to use. The entire unit is well maintained, furnished and it even smells nice. The suite is spacious and you can enjoy your meals in the patio or the dining table inside. Another plus for this unit is that you can go out directly from the patio. For the most of the rooms at RWI, you would have to go in and out through the main doors located in the backside of the building. Having not to go up and down the stairs or carrying all the beach gears through the main door was a huge convenience for us. You may get a better view from the 2nd or 3rd floor but our choice is the ground floor.

Another reviewer mentioned about the noise from the next door Club Med. Yes, as an all inclusive adults only resort, they have entertainment all day and night 'til the wee hours. However, the unit is well insulated and you can barely hear what goes on at Club Med. Only the lightest of the light sleeper might be bothered, if at all.

There is a relatively new bakery "Fresh Bakery Bistro" almost across the street for great croissants, pastries, cakes, gelato, etc. Shopping centers are within 15 minute walking distance or you can take the free bike. IGA Gourmet offers very reasonable daily hot buffet meals (ribs, fish & chips, bbq or fried chicken, etc.) which can feed 2 people for only $10 - $12. Great choice for lunch/dinner. The onsite Pelican restaurant is convenient and offers decent food but the service is average and somewhat expensive. Rent a car and go to Sailing Paradise. The best conch and other local dishes at a reasonable price, better than da Conch Shack (but do try the Shack also for cool vibe/experience).

I have a feeling we will be back to RWI's Queen Ann Suite again and again. Just go and enjoy.

Room Tip: Highly recommend Queen Ann Suite - Room 211
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Piaget18
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I traveled to the Providencailes, Turks and Caicos, for our 30th wedding anniversary early this month. This was our first time there and we went on recommendations from friends and trip advisor. We search a number of resorts and decided on the Royal West Indies. It was excellent!! If you like a smaller well maintained resort. This is it. The gardens on the grounds are gorgeous and two beautiful pools, one quiet pool for adults with a jacuzzi and another larger pool by the restaurant/bar. The beach is awesome! It is an incredible beach. If you are a beach person this is were you will want to be. Grace Bay has the softest sand in this part of the Caribbean. The rooms are excellent, either the studio or one bedroom. We stayed in a studio on the ocean (bldg #1, 3rd floor), it had a king size bed, fridge, microwave, toaster, Coffee maker, washer/dryer and a fantastic view of Grace Bay. This resort is not very big and was quiet. The food in the Pelican Bay Restaurant was very good and the bar makes an excellent Mojito!! They also provide bikes to ride in small shopping area (about 5-10 mins) were there is the Gourmet IGA for items for your room. Food is expensive especially eating out and grocery store is too. We brought some food with us. The only down side for us was the price of food and tiny little bugs that did bite but that certainly will not stop us from returning to a new found paradise at the Royal West Indies!! All the staff was very friendly and made it a wonderful trip!

Room Tip: If you want a good view of the beach/ocean request building #1, 3rd floor and if you want to be able...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank nanci60
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Royal West Indies is a very simple resort that provides all the necessities for a great stay. By now, you should already know that RWI gets great reviews. We stayed in the "Captain's Suite" which we rented directly from the owner and had just about every amenity of the resort. It was great to see how early the staff was out each morning setting up umberlla's and loungers. Certainly it was off season, but it makes for a very relaxing day knowing you do not have to worry about getting a lounger at any point through out the day. The staff put more out as needed and we used the kayak a few times. The ocean is hands down the clearest water I have ever seen (it's amazing how you can see the bottom of the ocean in the kayak pretty far out). I have never been to a resort in which the pool was so empty before. The beach is not extremely wide, but is sufficient compared to many other resorts that we saw. Not sure it the hurricanes over the last few years have made the beaches smaller (considering they are "one of the best in the world"). I was also surprised that the ocean gets deeper fairly quick. Consider packing an inner tube in your luggage to float, you will be happy you did.

We used the bikes much more then we anticipated. Just make sure you give a little inspection before taking on your stroll (some are much sturdier then others). They are available from 8-5/6pm (depending on the season) so you cannot ride them to dinner.

Quickly you will run into Fresh which is a bfast and lunch cafe. Pretty reasonably priced. You can get a cream cheese filled pretzel for $2. We should have eaten there more..but didn't try it until the last day. They also run specials at the end of the day for what they don't sell. The casino is also very close and walkable.

I was surprised after looking at the map how far each resort really is from one another. I thought we would be able to walk to a lot more hotels/restaurants then we actually could. As a reference point, Seven Stars is walkable, but not sure how much further you can get walking on the beach past this resort at night. Walking on the street takes signifcantly longer. Our first night we walked down the beach to get our bearings (we walked almost to the Sands which is just past Point Grace) and it took about 35 minutes. On the way back we cut through the Regent Grand (not Regent Palms). We came out across from Danny Bouy's and it took about 35-40 minutes to walk on the road back to the resort. We were in flip flops, but still, it was a hike. In short, consider a taxi or rent a car for your dinners. I reviewed a ton of restaurants before our trip, only to find out most were not walkable like I had anticipated.

Seaside cafe is located at the Grace Bay Resort (just before Seven Stars and after Anacoana) and is an absolute GEM for food. Arguably as good as Coco Bistro without the ambiance. We also had lunch there and it was outstanding. Coco Bistro does live up to the hype, but make a reservation if you really want to go there when you arrive.

For those that like to Snorkel, head down to Coral Garden's hotel (located next to the Windsong resort and Breezes). The most incredible snorking is located there where you can walk right into the ocean and see a ton of amazingly colored fish. Really not much beach there, otherwise it would be great so stay there. You would have to drive to Coral Gardens to get there from RWI. We also did a trip via Island Vibes which was a lot of fun. Saw about 25 small dolphins under the water on this trip; pretty amazing.

All in all, my wife and I spent about $1500 for the week. This included the Spa at Regent Palms ($350 for couples massage) and Island Vibes snorkel trip ($190 for both of us). We ate dinner out every night and lunch twice. The rest was a combination of going to the grocery store and bringing some breakfast foods. We also brought 4 bottles of wine in our suitcase. You can bring 2 liters per person to the island (it is possible booze has a different limit). The 2 for 1 Happy hour is also a great bonus at RWI. Shoutout, to Mario, our great bartender.

Room Tip: look up the "captains suite"
Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank mcmenamy
Reviewed September 29, 2012

2nd trip, low season, luckily no hurricanes this year. I love this place. I went solo so it's always a bit odd but I wanted warm water, sleep, and to read. I did, and luckily got a great rum drink from Lenny and Calvin and William at the bar! I have a lot of allergies and chemical issues, & they really went out of their way to accommodate my needs..2nd floor this time, loved the patio facing the garden. The clothes closet smelled moldy yet no sign of it, so had to keep closet closed and open patio at night though the noise bothered me so then i'd keep fan on (overhead) and that worked ok. The grounds are impeccable. Would like to see more energy efficiency integrated in various ways--lights, equipment/fans..watering..the beach is amazing. I found the staff very helpful. Folks, remember they do NOT make a ton of money there and in fact most jobs advertised are 5.00/hour. And it is NOT cheap to live there. Sherman, Noelle, Rose, Lenny/Calvin/William and NIck/Peter at the bar/chefs they were all very helpful and nice. For me, it's a wonderful place. Going solo I enjoyed being here vs hotel..Eddy at the beach and Mr. O there they are so helpful. Some people are horrifically rude and demanding of them it's actually disgusting. BTW folks take your plastic garbage off the beach--drop it into a waste basket, including your cigarette butts, so they don't wind up in marine life's stomachs etc - or underneath our feet on the beach, in the clean water, etc. Oh - drinking water there is desal..don't like the taste but that's life there. Hot water in the units not great most times. TURN OFF YOUR LIGHTS FANS A/C WHEN YOU LEAVE--IT'S WASTEFUL, COSTLY, UNIT OWNERS HAVE TO PAY THE COSTS..Solar belongs on that island, and wind - speak up and encourage the association to take action on this!

Room Tip: 2nd floor is less mosquito issue it seems (vs last year, for me anyway); location is key to noise is...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank crcrcr
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This was my first time to Provo, we went during the slow season. This resort was amazing, I don't have a single bad thing to say about it. My boyfriend and I were greeted by Sherman who showed us to our room. He was extremely helpful, friendly, and always helped us with what we needed. The resort grounds were beautiful! The gardens were amazing, I have never seen anything like it. They have 3 pools, 1 for familys and 2 pools for quiet couples. The restaurant/bar served excellent food and drinks. The room was always clean since the maid came once a day to clean up our mess :) I had a hard timebleaving my king size bed every morning! The resorts access to the beach was at a perfect spot....a lot of resorts to the left and only a few to the right which made it less crowded. They had kayaks and hobies that you could rent for free and take out on the ocean. Everything about the resort was great. They even have a bakery across the street that we walked to every morning for fresh baked pasteries.

Room Tip: The lower the building number, the closer you are to the beach. We stayed in room #423 studio and i...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple