“Still Our Favorite on Provo”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Connecticut, USA
“Still Our Favorite on Provo”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We've stayed at the RWI several times, the most recent being for 8 days, end of May 2012. We continue to believe this is this best resort on Provo for the money, and it's certainly on the best stretch of beach for any money. Furthermore, the resort staff is absolutely top notch; consistently professional, willing, and helpful.

About two years ago the RWI changed hands and we've been watching to see what effect that change might have. So far, the biggest change seems to be the restaurant/bar has new owners, name, and menu -- we think the food is better than ever, so no worries there.

In general, we continue to be very happy with the resort, but there does seem to be a bit of a tendancy to "go tourist" -- BBQ on the beach, etc. (Great if you haven't any dinner plans; not so great when you're enveloped in greasy billows of smoke from the cooking when trying to enjoy the beautiful end-of-the-day on the beach.) Also -- please, please get rid of that enormous bright blue plastic used towel bin directly on the otherwise gorgeous walkway from the beach. Talk about ruining the ambiance! These are relatively small matters, but we, and I think most visitors to TCI, love the Islands because they are NOT Aruba or St. Thomas or Jamaica. We vote for keeping it simple and letting the natural beauty reign. Beyond that, all we really need are clean sheets, cold Turks Head beer, and a good dinner.

Room Tip: We prefer the second floor. Third floor balconies have no cover -- pretty hot during the day.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank D0ntFenceMeIn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Hebrew first
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 18, 2012

6 buildings, only 3 stories high, beautifuly landscaped grounds, terrific food at the Pelican Bay restaurant, great service with a smile.

Room Tip: Our room was in the bulding closest to the beach, on the third floor, would definitely recommend. We...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet H
sunnydelight25
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom botanical suite in building 7 second floor. Our room over looked the quiet pool. We arrived early for check in so they suggested we eat lunch at their restaurant Pelican Bay. I had a turkey club (nothing special) and my husband had the fish and chips (very tasty.) We ended up checking in about a half hour early.
Our room was very spacious, clean, and well equipped. There was a large balcony with table and chairs. Living room had sleeper sofa, coffee table, two chairs, large flat screen tv, and writing desk. Our full kitchen had everything we needed except kitchen towels, which housekeeping left for us without even asking. Bathroom was sufficient but not my favorite. It had a shower in tub and I prefer just walkin tile/stone shower. There were plenty of towels, toiletries and even a hairdryer. Bedroom had large comfy bed and tons of space for luggage and clothes. Closet had iron, ironing board, hangers, pant hangers, dirty clothes hamper, luggage rack, and safe. We did have to get our safe reset because of dead batteries but wasn't an issue serviced immediately. The bellman/service man (jack of all trades) was always attentive to our needs. Wish I could remember his name very friendly enjoyed many conversations with him throughout our stay.
The resort grounds are stunning very lush and tropical. This is the one thing that I thought I was going to miss about Mexico but nope not at all!! Gorgeous flowers surrounding the entrance, wacky little cacti lining the walkways, and huge palm tree throughout the resort. Oh and lizards! LOTS of lizards sunbathing on the walkways. Another thing I thought I'd miss from my Mexico trips.
The pool areas are tropical oases. The one is a quiet adult area with a hot tub. It seemed like a perfect area to read a book on one of the chaise lounge chairs under an umbrella. The other pool is next to the restaurant not very secluded but was never crowded. It would have been great for swimming laps. We didn't use the pools because the water was too warm for us. Not to mention the beach oh my goodness the beach!!!
The beach was breathtaking. Super soft white sand and crystal clear water. The beach was never crowded no matter what time we were there. Always plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas. This was our first trip to Provo and I have never seen a beach like this. We did travel to other beach areas on the island but never found a better spot then right in front of Royal West Indies. My husband doesn't really like the ocean but I couldn't get him out of the water on this trip. In fact we almost extended our trip by two days but had to get home to our dog. ;)
Oh only real negative that I can think of was the dryer had rust in it which got on some of my beach clothes.
I would absolutely stay here again. I'm already figuring out a way to return!

Room Tip: I think any room would be great at this resort. Not a far walk to beach from any building. I did l...
3 Thank sunnydelight25
Wellington, Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My family stayed at the Royal West Indies from June 3 thru June 10, 2012. We had booked a 1 bedroom oceanview suite. Once we checked in, we were put in room 835. We were dissapointed in the view of the room as there was no view of the ocean. We complained to the front desk and they were going to move us to a different room but they didn't have any available. The staff decided to switch our rate to the botanical rate, instead of oceanview rate, so I was ok with that.

As far as the room and resort itself, the room was very clean and had all of the amenities that we were looking for. The main pool area by the restaurant was great and clean. Also, the beach was fantastic.

We are looking forward to returning to the Royal West Indies in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank derubeisfamily
South Seaville, New Jersey
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We got back from RWI the 9TH.We stayed june 2 -9th .We read all the reviews before we left they were pretty much accurate.We stayed one week.I called before we went and was promised a 2nd floor room ocean view.Well we got a ground floor ocean peek.We went and voiced our disappointment and was told that they were all booked and we could come back in a few days to get a 2nd floor better room.They had a wedding and on our first day there we could not use the restaurant as the wedding took precedent.We were told we could get something to eat at the bar if needed.So be warned if a wedding is there.Also we could not eat breakfast next day either as the wedding had a brunch but we could eat on the sweltering porch we tried but too hot!The beach is very nice water warm and clean[ umbrellas a necessity]!!Well we stayed in our room as we spread out our stuff and did not want to move all again.The highlight of our trip was silver deep!!!We went snorkling on the reef on our anniversary.Ask for Lucky and Darren they were great!!!What a great time!!We tried eating at t he pelican[ not that great] we mostly ate off site[ plenty of good restaurants right on beach] very good food breakfast and dinners .Love rum punch too!!The airport is a trip get there early!!!!also go to Coco Biestro[ lovely] they gave us a special dessert for our anniversary.We got a peak of jojo the dolphin he briefly visited i was glad to see him happy and free.

Room Tip: get ocean view first building dont go if wedding!!!
2 Thank 76carol
Floral Park, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We just got home from a 3-night/4-day stay at RWI and, I am already missing it. The staff was friendly and very helpful from the moment we arrived. Since our room wasn't ready because we checked in early, it was recommended that we head down to the beach to take advantage of the Saturday beach barbeque. Nothing like eating bbq jerk chicken with an ice cold Turks Head lager beer on a lounge chair on the beach. And the BEACH...it is absolutely amazing. Words can't describe how breathtaking the crystal clear, turquoise blue waters really are. Grace Bay Beach is simply like no other. RWI makes it easy to enjoy the pristine beach- complimentary lounge chairs, towels, and umbrellas. Also, free access to kayaks, hobie cats, and snorkel masks. We were unsure how to use the hobie, but a staff member, Eddy, was there to take us out on one for a lesson.

ROOM:
Our studio suite overlooked the pool and had a lovely, large balcony with a table and four chairs. The bed was quite comfortable. Room was immaculate- I noticed the cleanliness from the moment we stepped inside. Housekeeping staff was fabulous- they even folded our clothes that were in disarray on the floor. Couldn't ask for a more comfortable place to stay. Rooms have flat screen, large televisions with blue ray players so bring some favorite DVDs!

FOOD:
The food at the resort's Pelican Bay restaurant was delicious. We ate there once for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and enjoyed all meals. We also frequented the bar (drinks are great) and took advantage of the 2 for 1 happy hour deal. Jerome, a server at Pelican Bay, served us our first night and made a point to look out for us throughout the rest of our stay, always saying hello and giving us island tips when we needed.
We also ate at:
-Parallel 23 (Regent Palm): absolutely gorgeous restaurant; outdoor dining & lounge setting is spectacular; food is wonderful, but above all, the service was what impressed me most at this restaurant; our waiter was quite attentive and wanted us to be as comfortable as possible (moved us out to the lounge patio for a cooler dessert experience)
-Mango Reef (Alexandra Resort): this outdoor beach-front restaurant will take your breath away; overlooking the water, it is best to try and eat here as the sun sets- what gorgeous views! food is also unbelievable- my boyfriend says the calamari appetizer he had was the best he's ever had! i had the salmon- also incredible

Overall, we found the food in T&C to be phenomenal. On the expensive side, but that's to be expected on a small island when on vacation.

Enjoy your T&C vacation! Guaranteed to be spectacular, especially at RWI. I have nothing but positive things to say about RWI and T&C.

2 Thank megan b
Saint Albans NY
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This place was very nice I read all of the reviews before I went and they were pretty much true. The people at the front desk were very nice Tanshia really stands out she was very helpful and nice Markerson was also very nice and helpful, in fact all of the people I dealt with were very nice and helpful. The food was very good at all of the places that we ate, the island is very expenses so be ready for sticker shock. The water is the bluest I have ever seen and if you need to rest this is the place to be. When I got there the first room that I got the hot water did not work and they moved me to another room with no problem. I would tell anyone to go to this hotel if you show respect you will get it back three times more. I will be back.