“Great!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ports of Call Resort
Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in Providenciales
“Great!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I traveled to Turks with a friend last year and it was a great relaxing experience. We were picked up promptly at the airport and the ride was about 20 minutes from the airport to the hotel. They allowed us to do an early check-in. Since we booked our hotel/flight with a Jetblue package the $8 a day energy fee was included in that package. Our room was big enough for two with twin beds. The room was clean and it had sufficient towels, clean bedspread and the bathroom was neat and very tidy. One thing I do recommend is to bring a very good conditioner I did feel like the water in the shower made my hair feel like straw. I used the hair products provided by the hotel and i regretted not bringing my own. Continental breakfast consisted of pastries, cereal, yogurt, coffee, juice nothing too fancy but satisfying. The supermarket was accross the street and yes it is expensive. It was pricier than NY supermarkets and the food in NY is not cheap either. The restaurants accross the street were reminiscent of maybe an Applebees they really were not my type of dining. The menus consisted of pastas, pizzas nothing that I wanted to spend money on. I guess to experience maybe the fresher food like seafood visiting the other restaurants is a must. Unfortunately we didnt rent a car (we dont drive). I do have to say that a car is recommended when visiting Turks. I have a feeling we missed out since we could only stay within our vicinity. We were two girls alone and didnt want to venture out where we didnt know how safe we would be. The beach was about a 5-10 minute walking distance with such a beatiful scenery walking was not a problem for us. The beach wasnt crowded ever and we had access to beach chairs any time of the day. Turks is not at all like a South Beach or Cancun I felt like it was more couples or maybe locals or families. There was never partying or loud music or loud people which was nice. I did the horseback excursion with Provo Ponies and it was amazing the best part of the trip for me. I was terrified but got the hang of it and it was so amazing. We were picked up on time and dropped off on time as well from the horseback excursion. The next day we did a boat ride where we ate a conch salad and drank rum punch. I cant swim ( i know loser) so I missed out on the snorkeling in the middle of the ocean with the most beautiful shade of green/blue water I have ever seen. I do have to say it was the most relaxing vacation I have ever had.

The only thing I would opt for in a second visit would be staying in all inclusive hotel. The supermarket food was expensive and the restaurant food was expensive as well. There wasnt a little hole in the wall where you can taste fresh food at a discount. So I would probably just spend the extra $100 that an all incusive will cost. This package was about $560 on Jetblue including taxes and fees and the energy $8 fee from the hotel. Provo Ponies was $89 and this included the taxi pick up and drop off. The snorkeling excursion was $89 both excursions were worth the money. I did feel like I got my moneys worth.

**Since you have to remove the energy key when exiting the room this made it difficult to purchase food at the market and save. So obviously things that could spoil we were not able to purchase. I saw a lot of people purchasing food which is a good idea but our room did not allow that.

The hotel also provided free wi-fi and we had service even out on the beach..the staff was friendly and super nice. My friend requested a fresh coconut and they got one for her free of charge (she just tipped) I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Polish first
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My best friend arrived on Mother's Day and we just returned from an absolutely amazing vacation and our stay at Ports of Call was just awesome! I have been used to staying at all-inclusive resorts, and after seeing the prices at the other resorts, I never thought I could afford to visit Turks and Caicos anytime soon.

Well, I just love this place! The staff was very friendly and helpful from the first day to the last. The rooms were clean and housekeeping was on schedule every day. Our room didn't have a balcony, but that was no big deal - I'll just make sure I get a room with a balcony on my next visit :)

The lobby was open and airy with a small breakfast room off the lobby. The continental breakfast was pastries, yogurt, fruit, cereal, juice and coffee. I don't really eat big breakfasts, so what they had available worked for me and the coffee was very good.

Watson, the bartender was a darling! I enjoyed talking to him and learning about the island and the culture. The hotel is not right on the beach, but it was a short walk and the walkway was right across the street. We did use the shuttle a couple of times. Daniel, the shuttle driver is a very nice guy. When you come to the end of that boardwalk, the ocean just smacks you in the face. Absolutely awesome! The beaches of Grace Bay are the most beautiful I have ever seen - and you can walk for miles if you want. Beach umbrellas were only $8 a day to rent (I've paid $25 at a hotel in San Juan) - chairs were free and you didn't have to get there very early in the morning to grab a beach chair.

The Ports of Call Village was adjacent to the hotel and convenient, but a 15 minute walk took you further to more shops and restaurants. I was disappointed that Spa Tropique wasn't open; we pre-booked appointments, but the place was closed the entire time we were there (not the hotel's fault though.) Actually the spa/jacuzzi at the hotel pool was a nice consolation for my sore legs (from snorkeling - which was awesome, by the way!) There were 3 restaurants in the Village - we went to 2 of them. Jimmy's Dive Bar was just - eh okay. Wings and fries were safe - was hesitant to try anything else. The Upstairs Bar and Grill was better in my opinion. There was in Italian restaurant, but we didn't go there - we wanted to experience the local cuisine

If you are willing to venture out and go where the locals go, you will eat some incredibly good food. The people were friendly, warm and welcoming. They like talking about the island and sharing their knowledge with you. We met a local guy who was nice enough to show us around the island. He took us to two great restaurants while we were there. We had some amazing conch fritters, fried fish and some kick-butt jerk chicken and pork. Talk to the locals and they will tell you where the best places are to eat that are affordable.

If you are looking for that typical resort party atmosphere, this is NOT the place for you. I live and work in NYC and my job is stressful. I needed a quiet, peaceful and truly relaxing vacation and this place delivers. My friend and I felt safe in the area around the hotel and on the property as well. We met another female who was traveling alone and we all agreed that this was a safe place. At night we spent a lot of time around the pool and we saw the security guard making regular rounds every night.

The hotel is a non-smoking property, but they designate a nice patio area in the back behind the pool - screened by nice landscaping which didn't make smokers feel like they were being banished too far from the main pool area.

I can't help but feel like I don't want to tell too many people about Ports of Call. I kind of wanted Ports of Call to me my own little secret paradise! Amazing - I can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Darlene L
GeneralManagerports, General Manager at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Another fantastic holiday in the beautiful Turks & Caicos Islands!
Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is my 5th Turks and Caicos visit and this trip was to be done on a budget. This is the property that allowed exactly that, nice reasonably clean, nice pool and hot tub. The pool deck was very clean and well kept the outdoor furniture was very nice. The proximity to the Ports of Call plaza made things very convenient and accessible, there was adequate parking for the rental Jeep, and security. The staff was very friendly and the General Manager took time to talk to the guest and actually seemed to care. The first room we had was on the first floor and had not been renovated, but they moved us to the 3rd floor to a room that was renovated very nicely after there was some water pipe issues outside our room, which was cleaned up fast and was not really an issue to us at all. the continental breakfast was very adequate, not great but we really kept the get what you pay for idea in mind...the total package for us was just over $2400 for 7 days including flights on Air Canada from Toronto, so from a value perspective we won big. I would not hesitate to stay there again or recommend it to friends...it was a very refreshing change from the all inclusive or more posh resorts...it fit my personality very well. If you need more spend more but for what we spent excellent value!

Room Tip: 3rd floor of renovated rooms are way way better!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin B
GeneralManagerports, General Manager at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Excellent to hear that your holiday was fantastic and the added value of our location and rates left some room for your excursions! We at the Ports of Call Resort appreciate your kind review, this will be shared with our staff, thank you.
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I've read varied reviews about this Hotel. So, knew exactly what I would find and it was excellent.
Don´t go thinking is a luxury Resort with great service. It's not! It is a very nice and comfortable place to rest well at night after a long day enjoying the natural beauty of Paradise in Providenciales.

The location is great: Grace Bay Road, place with some good restaurants (Coco Bistro, Fresh Catch and Caicos Café) and a charming supermarket a few meters.
Despite not stand in front of the beach, it is in a few meters from a pleasant walk ...

Honestly, I would not pay three times as much to stay at another hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room in the new refurbished area!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
GeneralManagerports, General Manager at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
A great day at the beach was had by all, thank you for your review and we will see you in the near future!
Chestertown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The Ports of Call is conveniently located to the beach, stores & restaurants.
You can walk anywhere & it is not far.
The pool area is relaxing and beautifully arranged.
The rooms are clean and neat with amenities like a safe, hair dryer, and iron & board.
The breakfast buffet is limited to not- so-healthy choices.
There was no oatmeal and no variety of fruit.
If you like bagels & cereal,it is OK.
There is a supermarket practically next door so you can buy better items or eat out.

Room Tip: Get a room that is poolside.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank outsidenow
GeneralManagerports, General Manager at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Tropical & Affordable sums up the Ports of Call Resort, we appreciate your kind review.
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Great stay.

We enjoyed our seven-night stay at Ports of Call.

The staff greeted us with a warm smile and always provided the best advice for dining and excursions. We always felt welcomed at Port of Call.

The grounds are extremely well groomed and clean.

Our room 153 was prefect with a Kings size bed, pullout couch, breakfast table with chairs, room floor safe (approximately 8” x 5” x 8” deep), iron with board, refrigerator (small), clean, quite, maintained. The room’s wifi is Skype friendly faster than the pool’s router.

Breakfast is simple; coffee, yogurt, various fruit, pastries, cereals, orange and apple juices. We ate breakfast a two other locations where the cost varied from 12 to 20 dollars. Save your money and eat at the hotel.

The hotel’s location is ideal; three or four minute wall to the beach, 12-second walk to local (tourist) shopping, entertainment, and dining.

We ate at many places during our stay:

Coco Bistro was our favorite. It is an upscale outdoor restaurant embellished with palm trees. The service, food, and atmosphere is second to none. Recommend making reservations as soon as possible.

Caicos Bakery had a variety of breakfast pastries and coffee. It is about a one minute east of Ports of call.

Miss Moonies is a convent store with a delicatessen with seating both in and outside (a must). Their dishes are local and their serving sizes are large. Simply order your meal, select your drink from their store, sit poolside, and their friendly staff will do the rest. It is about 700 yards south of Port of Call.

The Graceway grocery store is only a minute or two walk away. Their delicatessen has about the same selections as an upscale grocery store in the states at reasonable prices.

The Patty Place serves variety of Jamaican patties. A quick place to eat lunch. It is about 50 yards east of Ports of Call.

Sea Café is an upscale beach restaurant overlooking Grace Bay. The service, food, scenery is worth paying for. It is about a 10-minute walk from Port of Call.

Bugaloo's is a beach restaurant serving local foods. The food, service and entertainment was excellent. My wife picked a beautiful conch shell from the pile on the beach. Well worth the 25-minute drive from Port of Call.

Thursday night fish fry is a must. Venders from around the island showcase their specialties (authentic Caribbean food and drink) at very reasonable rates. We enjoyed live music, dance, and the festive atmosphere with the locals and tourist. Another must see event.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank warrychink63
Sounds like a terrific time was had by all, thank you for choosing the Ports of Call Resort, from all of our friendly staff and management.
newport, vt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My family and I stayed last week for a night and had a great time. Check in was easy, and we arrived early. Our room was ready, it was very clean and adequate. The hotel is in a great location, and the price can't be beat. The pool was clean and perfect for my kids as well. We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pamela a
Thank you for the kind review, it makes our staff's day when the guest has a great experience at the Ports of Call Resort.