“Had a Blast!!”

Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Asheboro, North Carolina
“Had a Blast!!”
Reviewed December 11, 2005

Lance & I just returned from Club Med Turkoise on 12/9/05. From the beautiful island & water to the wonderful staff such as: Eyal(chief), Nadine, Daniel, Spalding, Diesel (Carolina), Sylvie, Dannie, Josh, Jose, Ameril, Cookie (precious), Remy, Emelio(bartender at Sharky's) & Robin & many more. If you intend to take a trip, this is the one for you! Any negative reviews you read about Club Med Turkoise, just disregard them. Go there prepared to enjoy yourself & you will have the time of your LIFE!!! We will definitely return as soon as possible.
Sharron Hall & Lance Bolick

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank Turksgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,154)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 11, 2005

Just came back from a weeks vacation at Club Med. The resort is the largest on the island with a huge expanse of the most beautiful turkoise blue water. Club Med is definetly a place to meet people wether single or a couple. All meals are eaten in a family style setting and you meet different people at every meal. You can visit The Grill restaurant for single seating if booked in advance, we never made it there. Breakfast and lunch buffets left allot to be desired, while the dinner buffet most nights was very good. Bottles of wine are provided and you can help yourself to as many as you can drink at dinner.
Sports and activites abound if thats your style. This seems to be the lure of most regulars who go to a Club Med.
The main bar is always fully staffed with plenty of bartenders and the place is hopping at night when it also becomes a dance floor/night club setting. The bar at Sharkies opens at 11 am until 4 am and it is impossible to get a drink quickly due to the one bartender they have staffed there throughout the day. They should invest in 1 or 2 more. On most trips we have drank so much during the day we barely make it out at night. That was hard to do since the beach packs up closest to the main pool/bar area.
Although we enjoyed our visit to Turks and Caico's it is not somewhere we would return. Nor would we pay full price to stay at a Club Med since they are a bit more pricier than other All Inclusives(We booked a buy 1 night get the next night free). To us it was not worth it due to the fact that we are on vacation to relax not rack up on tons of activities thoughtout the day. If you are the active type many activites are included than at any other All Inclusive. Lastly we were very disappointed with the terrible breakfast and lunch and the availibility of drinks. To us thats All Inclusive, good food, lots of drinks and plently of sunshine!

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reston
Reviewed December 11, 2005

My wife and I spent last week at Turkoise and loved it. Hey, it's warm and you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. It's like taking a cruise without any possibility of rough waters. Hard to go wrong with that!

I've been to a couple of Club Meds before, and this one compared very well. The recently-refurbished rooms were a very pleasant surprise. I was happy to find that Club Med still does a surprisingly good job catering to vegetarians, especially since the French in general aren't very sympathetic to those of us who choose not to eat critters. The garden burgers available at lunchtime nearly every day were quite good. There were several terrific soups, and the veggie sides were reliable. Pasta night was a joy; the walnut sauce on pasta made right there was superb.

The "house" wine is a French red that was quite good. (My previous Club Med experiences have been at Mexican clubs - Playa Blanca and Huatulco - where the wine was domestic, and terrible.) Turks Head Beer, on the other hand, was nothing to get excited about. Among mixed drinks, the Turkoise Lemonade is a winner.

It was a bit alarming to see a small cockroach skittering around the plate table in the dining room one night, but it was the only one I saw there. A much larger roach appeared in our bathroom and we dispatched it with prejudice. Perhaps other guests had similar uninvited visitors, because one afternoon some sort of vehicle rolled past and spewed a cloud of insecticide which came through the slats of our windows and quickly made our room unusable for a while. A bit of warning about that might've been nice!

We discovered a few "tricks" during the week. Most importantly, the lounge chairs on the beach feature plastic straps which can be very uncomfortable unless you're completely horizontal; it's tough to sit and read. The solution is to venture out early and claim one of the well-padded "beach beds," which can be repositioned throughout the day to keep direct sunlight at bay. (The lounge chairs by the pool seem to have cloth coverings which are pretty comfortable but are too close to pool/disco noises.)

At mealtimes, it's worth arriving a half-hour early to claim an outside table - especially during those times when the A/C is off or ineffective in the dining room. There's a lot to be said for the al fresco experience: It's quieter and offers occasional visits by a beautiful (but not very affectionate) grey cat. Fortunately, the DJs have the good sense to keep the incessant "dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum" disco crap to a minimum when people are trying to eat. (It's a start, but I wish they'd make an overall switch to actual music as opposed to beats-per-minute. There was one day when the DJs played nothing but Beatles and other melodic stuff. It was the one day we could enjoy being by the bar/pool!)

A few thoughts on activities: Snorkeling wasn't worth the bother; there wasn't much to see. The fitness room was excellent and never crowded. The 9 a.m. stretch class was an excellent way to start the day. Softball was fun - thanks in large part to "The Jeff" - despite laughable equipment. (Inexplicably, half the gloves available were for lefties.)

Other notes: JoJo the Dolphin put in only one brief appearance during our visit. Internet access was miserable from the club; the equipment is slow and you have to spend most of your time feeding it dollar bills. A stroll outside the compound toward town revealed that they're paving the road - and that there's not much reason to leave Club Med!

10 Thank rcepuch
Reviewed December 4, 2005

I went to Club Med Turkoise by myself for a week September 3-10, 2005. The resort was one of the first on the island of Providenciales, Caicos. Turks and Caicos includes an eight island chain just south of Great Inagua Island in the Bahamas. Three and a half hours non-stop from New York City and you’re there. Come here if you want to meet people. You can play tennis, volleyball, go snorkeling, scuba, take dance lessons, learn trapeze. Or you can tan at the gorgeous beach or pool all day. When it’s time for dinner, join a group at a table of eight. Afterward, order a pina colada at the bar then go to the nightly talent show. Share conversations with people from Quebec, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, and California. You’re sure to find something in common with someone.

My assigned roommate and I stayed up late gossiping, discussing life. I met women from Toronto and San Francisco, with whom I hope to stay in touch. After a day or two at Club Med Turkoise, you shouldn’t be lonely or bored!

Airport Tip: When you arrive in Providenciales, if needed, stop at the bathroom located to your left as you enter the airport. Customs took 30 minutes. Baggage awaited passengers as they exited.

Getting to Club Med: Look for the Club Med employees, “Gentil Organisateur’s/Gracious Hosts (GO’s),” in their colorful shirts if you didn’t purchase land transfers. They will put you in a shared taxi for $9.00. The terrain reminded me of a desert island. Stunted palm trees lined the highway and dust covered the road. Club Med is a 15 minute ride from the airport.

When you reach your destination the GO’s hand you a cool washcloth, and a drink. It tasted like a tequila sunrise. A woman who sat next to me on the taxi refused the welcome drink 3 times and got annoyed. Why come to Club Med if you don’t want to eat, drink and be merry? Poor Eyal, chief of the village, noticed that this week’s crowd lacked enthusiasm.

Luggage Advice: Put a name tag somewhere highly visible on the outside of your luggage. My suitcase didn’t show up at my room. I had to go to the front desk and retrieve it.

Red, yellow and orange striped bedspreads cover the slightly larger than twin-size beds in the rooms. A TV sits in front of the window, on top of a fridge tucked inside a walnut cabinet. A closet on each side of the room holds a safe and plenty of space for clothes. The bathroom comes with a toilet, sink, shower with chair, and shower curtain. I suspect this one was ADA compliant. No hot water, only lukewarm. The window overlooked a barrage of lavender, pink, and yellow bougainvillea. Manicured grass carpeted the grounds. Security guards smiled as you walked by.

Room Advice: The electricity only works if your key (or a credit card sized item) is placed in a slot next to the door. I stuck an old Metrocard in and left the A/C on. I faxed a request to the resort for building A or D and I received room A1012 on the first floor. Drawbacks of the first floor: a baby lizard skittered inside and kept me company for the week. Ants swarmed my peach but I annihilated them with suntan lotion.

Club Med Turkoise guests and hosts include black Americans, white Americans, Haitians, Jamaicans, Domincans, Dominicanos, Swiss, French-Canadians, Italians, and Germans. Eyal is from Egypt.

Most of the staff answers politely if you make an effort to say hi and ask “how are you?”

My vote sides with the reviewers who think the drinks are watered down. Wine and beer taste better.

The food attempted to reach gourmet level but usually fell short. Escargot, pate and roast beef left me disappointed with their flavor and texture. Tangy and sweet red beet soup at lunch made me go back for seconds. You couldn’t go wrong with the salad bar. Brie, cheddar cheese and white chocolate bread constantly tempted me. Table wine chills in the cafeteria refrigerator and you can help yourself. The white wine could pass for a decent table wine. Each night’s dinner dress brought out the inventive in the crowd, with themes of “black elegant,” “white elegant,” “flowers and blue jeans.”

Eating at the Grill restaurant surpassed my expectations. Less than satisfactory service, but the food was so good I didn’t care. There is a 3 course menu with soup or salad, entrée of beef or fish, and dessert. A white-jacketed steward poured the wine. Reservations fill up fast but I got a last minute invitation from my new friend Carla.

The beach dazzles you with white sand and blue-green sea. I pulled my lounge chair toward the spray and settled in for a couple of hours every day. When I got tired of sand I found a table close to the bar. Do not leave the room without wearing sun block and bug repellent. It rained four hours one day and two hours a couple of days later. Hurricane Ophelia revved up the Atlantic at the end of the week so no floating in the waves. This time of year, the sun blazes and the humidity hovers at 100%.

The morning snorkel boat leaves at 10 am. A 25 minute ride to the Leeward Reef, and the captain drops anchor. Fifteen snorkelers with yellow fins and blue masks jumped off the boat. The water teemed with purple, yellow and striped fish on this spectacularly clear and calm day. The hangover crowd waits for the afternoon sail at 3pm.

The sunset cruise fizzled. I love sailing and the music fit the mood, but the rum punch didn’t know the meaning of rum and the paltry sunset hid out of shame. Mother Nature. I used the opportunity to mingle and network. Club Med contracts with Silver Deep, the Sea Specialist, for a “Native BBQ Cruise.” I nicknamed the excursion “lobster cruise” because the day sail includes fresh lobster lunch on a secluded beach. Gaelle, one of the GO’s joined me. This was my favorite activity of the trip.

If you want to go shopping off the resort, try The Saltmills Plaza. A replica windmill towers over a shaded oasis near the middle of the shopping center. Internet access is available and The Saltmills Café serves sandwiches, ice cream and smoothies. The Billabong store occupies a prime corner spot. Anna’s Gallery sells art and jewelry, and there are clothing stores for Kate Moss-sized women. The Wine & Spirits liquor store's shelves were scarily empty. The Gecko (tourist bus) picks up from hotels by telephone request only in the off-season. It’s much cheaper than a taxi.

Closer to Club Med is Ports of Call Shopping. Internet access costs $10 for 35 minutes, and the connection is fast. I had lunch at Barefoot Café inside the mall. A ten-inch long chameleon watched while I ate a grilled jerk chicken wrap sandwich with peas and rice. I washed it down with a glass of Turks Head beer. If you need an ATM, there is a Scotia Bank ABM at the shopping center.

Hemingway’s Restaurant at the Sands and Mango Reef at the Royal West Indies Resort (next door to Club Med on the left) are recommended if you want to try something different for dinner.

Don’t go off site on Wednesdays. That’s the night of the infamous foam party. It’s held right outside Sharkey’s Bar, a wooden shack surrounded by picnic tables and sand. I played photographer and didn’t don my bathing suit. My amiga from Toronto and others shook their bootys to bubbles for hours, and then everyone ran into the freezing cold ocean to wash off. Yikes! Not for me! The opportunity to hook up abounds. If you’re not interested, just say no.

If you want to be alone with yourself or with your honey, this might not be the place. But if you like being active and meeting people, Club Med is just what the doctor ordered. Meet remarkable people to hook up with or hang out with, depending on your preference. Three of my new pals sent e-mails when they got home and invited me to visit. One has already spent a weekend in New York City. Come to Club Med, relax or party, and leave with new friends.

34 Thank Jeanne D
Montreal
Reviewed December 4, 2005

What a week! This place is loads of fun filled with tons of sports and activities to do. The island itself doesn't really have that much to offer so if you stay at CM Turks, you'll always be busy...Of course you can chill too on some South Beach Lounge chair...

This place should not be for honeymooners or couples that only want to stay together and not be bothered. This place is active and for people who want to live it up for a week. Single people!!! Please get down there to represent!!! On my week, there were lots of couples and older folks but I still managed to have a great group of singles to hang out with. We partied until 4-5am and got back up at 8am to not miss a single ray of sunshine.

Food on average is good but some dishes are fabulous and the chocolate deserts were perfect. Breakfast was always the same everyday. Rooms are ok. Reception was always very helpful with me but I didn't have any complex issues so I can't really comment there. Sunsets, beach and ocean are soooo beautiful.

Sports are awesome and so are the GOs leading them. I tried almost everything. Trapeze is amazing and the GOs for the Circus are truly great.

Some male GO and GM "sharks" but not as intense as in CM Cancun. Just say you're not interested and by the 2nd time, they should understand.

Can't wait to get back there!

• Stayed November 2005
8 Thank purcellmtn
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed December 1, 2005

We just got back from Club Med Turkoise. WHAT A GREAT PLACE! My husband and I are in our mid 40’s and were a little worried there might not be enough couples our age to socialize with. WRONG. About half the guests were couples and we found lots of company. Our lifestyle is rather tame and we did not do any of the games or circus and only saw 1 show. Still, it was a fantastic time. All the staff was extremely polite and professional to us. I had left my nice Armani sunglasses at the pool one night and amazingly, they turned up in lost-and-found the next day!!!!

The main attraction is the beach, which is stunning! The sand is powdery and the water is the most beautiful turkoise blue you can imagine. We were worried the first day because it was overcast and rainy but this cleared up on day 2 and was clear and dry for the rest of the week. If you are just going to relax like us I would avoid the hurricane season since bad weather would have DEFITELY ruined our stay. If you are single and looking to ‘hook up’ I doubt the weather would make much difference. The singles scene looked hot and everyone we talked to said there was a good ratio of guys to gals. We met people from all different walks of life but most were 30-something professionals (no doctors or lawyers though). We did not participate in any of the organized activities but it all looked like fun. There were activities all day long to keep everyone mingling. I heard that the nightlife was terrific. Caveat: be warned: this is a CANADIAN resort. Only about 20% of the people we met were from the states.

The club itself is beautiful but not the Ritz. Our room was newly renovated and extremely clean and tastefully decorated. Lovely cabinetry and furnishings and the bathroom was gorgeous with tile everywhere and a large tile and glass shower. TV had 60+ channels and there was a refrigerator. The mattress was hard as a rock (my guess is they are expecting guests to do gymnastics on it) but this was quickly remedied by requesting 3 extra bedspreads and layering them up under the bottom sheet. We paid extra for the ocean view room in building ‘A’ on the third floor which was very close to the main buildings. This was well worth the money since the view was spectacular (but no balcony) and it was only a short walk to all the action. The grounds are LUSH and well maintained. All the garbage (even cigarette butts) was picked up daily. The main buildings are slightly run-down but clean, and the pool was clean but not overly attractive. There was plenty of seating and they had these wonderful romantic bed-like loungers with white gauze awnings that you could snuggle up to your honey in.

The food was adequate with lots of choices but I was not overly impressed. Beef seemed to be a commodity. There were wonderful breads and deserts though and we could take as much as we wanted back to the room. The table wine was also nice and the wait staff was fast. All meals were 2 ½ hours long so there were no lines and you did not need to hurry. But the BEST part of the meal program was the all-day open bar. Pina-colada’s, daiquiris, most call-liquors (on request), cappuccino and espresso could be had at any time after 10 am. The bartenders were very polite and you could ask for doubles if you wanted…no problem.

Club Med Turkoise was touted as having a great SCUBA outfit. THEY DO! I was extremely impressed with the boats, dive equipment and professionalism of the staff. I was also impressed that they did not allow divers to go down unless they had an up-to-date log book OR took their refresher course in the pool. I had to take the refresher, which was very thorough. Congratulations go to their rigorous adherence to safety. My husband wanted to get his diving certification while there and this was no problem. The course was taught by a young guy named James who was very professional and thorough. The course cost $425 which included all the PADI materials, class work, 5 hours of pool work and 4 open water dives. He had to study the material and take all the tests but enjoyed every step.

The diving itself was lovely. The reefs were spectacular with lots of colorful coral and interesting formations. Visibility was excellent.

All in all, I would DEFINITELY recommend this club to anyone who likes to socialize with new people and is not too picky about total luxury. This is an upper middle-class resort for the 30 to 50 year old professional set. The real ‘fun’ in this Club Med experience is getting to know new people from new places and from different walks of life. If you are at all ‘picky’ or just HAVE to have gourmet meals and plush surroundings, find another resort. This place is not for you.

• Stayed November 2005
19 Thank Miss_Bret
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2005

I just returned from a one week trip to Club Med Turkoise. In the past I have stayed at the Club Med Playa Blanca and Cancun. Club Med Turkoise is by far the best of the three. The club has just undergone extensive renovations and upgrades, this it is not a luxury resort but it does offer nice clean rooms in “like new” condition. Turks & Caicos is a rather expensive destination so if you are traveling on a budget this is your best choice. It is also a great place to go if you are single. The food is quite good for buffet and the white chocolate bread is amazing. There are lots of actives if you want to participate or you can simply relax and enjoy the beautiful beach....by far the best in the Caribbean! Eyal the Resort Manager is very accessible, he ensures all staff are mingling and doing their job… which is a rarity for Club Med! Based on my experience I would highly recommend this resort!

Stayed November 2005