“We loved it”

Ranked #29 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Indianapolis, Indiana
“We loved it”
Reviewed December 1, 2005

We just got back from Club Med Turkoise. WHAT A GREAT PLACE! My husband and I are in our mid 40’s and were a little worried there might not be enough couples our age to socialize with. WRONG. About half the guests were couples and we found lots of company. Our lifestyle is rather tame and we did not do any of the games or circus and only saw 1 show. Still, it was a fantastic time. All the staff was extremely polite and professional to us. I had left my nice Armani sunglasses at the pool one night and amazingly, they turned up in lost-and-found the next day!!!!

The main attraction is the beach, which is stunning! The sand is powdery and the water is the most beautiful turkoise blue you can imagine. We were worried the first day because it was overcast and rainy but this cleared up on day 2 and was clear and dry for the rest of the week. If you are just going to relax like us I would avoid the hurricane season since bad weather would have DEFITELY ruined our stay. If you are single and looking to ‘hook up’ I doubt the weather would make much difference. The singles scene looked hot and everyone we talked to said there was a good ratio of guys to gals. We met people from all different walks of life but most were 30-something professionals (no doctors or lawyers though). We did not participate in any of the organized activities but it all looked like fun. There were activities all day long to keep everyone mingling. I heard that the nightlife was terrific. Caveat: be warned: this is a CANADIAN resort. Only about 20% of the people we met were from the states.

The club itself is beautiful but not the Ritz. Our room was newly renovated and extremely clean and tastefully decorated. Lovely cabinetry and furnishings and the bathroom was gorgeous with tile everywhere and a large tile and glass shower. TV had 60+ channels and there was a refrigerator. The mattress was hard as a rock (my guess is they are expecting guests to do gymnastics on it) but this was quickly remedied by requesting 3 extra bedspreads and layering them up under the bottom sheet. We paid extra for the ocean view room in building ‘A’ on the third floor which was very close to the main buildings. This was well worth the money since the view was spectacular (but no balcony) and it was only a short walk to all the action. The grounds are LUSH and well maintained. All the garbage (even cigarette butts) was picked up daily. The main buildings are slightly run-down but clean, and the pool was clean but not overly attractive. There was plenty of seating and they had these wonderful romantic bed-like loungers with white gauze awnings that you could snuggle up to your honey in.

The food was adequate with lots of choices but I was not overly impressed. Beef seemed to be a commodity. There were wonderful breads and deserts though and we could take as much as we wanted back to the room. The table wine was also nice and the wait staff was fast. All meals were 2 ½ hours long so there were no lines and you did not need to hurry. But the BEST part of the meal program was the all-day open bar. Pina-colada’s, daiquiris, most call-liquors (on request), cappuccino and espresso could be had at any time after 10 am. The bartenders were very polite and you could ask for doubles if you wanted…no problem.

Club Med Turkoise was touted as having a great SCUBA outfit. THEY DO! I was extremely impressed with the boats, dive equipment and professionalism of the staff. I was also impressed that they did not allow divers to go down unless they had an up-to-date log book OR took their refresher course in the pool. I had to take the refresher, which was very thorough. Congratulations go to their rigorous adherence to safety. My husband wanted to get his diving certification while there and this was no problem. The course was taught by a young guy named James who was very professional and thorough. The course cost $425 which included all the PADI materials, class work, 5 hours of pool work and 4 open water dives. He had to study the material and take all the tests but enjoyed every step.

The diving itself was lovely. The reefs were spectacular with lots of colorful coral and interesting formations. Visibility was excellent.

All in all, I would DEFINITELY recommend this club to anyone who likes to socialize with new people and is not too picky about total luxury. This is an upper middle-class resort for the 30 to 50 year old professional set. The real ‘fun’ in this Club Med experience is getting to know new people from new places and from different walks of life. If you are at all ‘picky’ or just HAVE to have gourmet meals and plush surroundings, find another resort. This place is not for you.

• Stayed November 2005
19 Thank Miss_Bret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,165)
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2005

I just returned from a one week trip to Club Med Turkoise. In the past I have stayed at the Club Med Playa Blanca and Cancun. Club Med Turkoise is by far the best of the three. The club has just undergone extensive renovations and upgrades, this it is not a luxury resort but it does offer nice clean rooms in “like new” condition. Turks & Caicos is a rather expensive destination so if you are traveling on a budget this is your best choice. It is also a great place to go if you are single. The food is quite good for buffet and the white chocolate bread is amazing. There are lots of actives if you want to participate or you can simply relax and enjoy the beautiful beach....by far the best in the Caribbean! Eyal the Resort Manager is very accessible, he ensures all staff are mingling and doing their job… which is a rarity for Club Med! Based on my experience I would highly recommend this resort!

Stayed November 2005
10 Thank hicynthia13
Nashville, TN
Reviewed November 20, 2005

I just returned from Clubmed Turks 2 days ago. I went with 2 of my girlfriends and we had an awesome time. One of my girlfriends had been here 3 years ago. She had a much better time on this trip than the one before. Eyal, Chief of Village, was a G.O. at the time. She clearly remembered him, due to his good looks. :) Eyal is very accessible and responds to requests on a very personal level.

NEED A TAXI? Ask for Theo with Theo's Taxi Service. He's a riot. Very personable.

POOLTIME: My group always got to the pool by 11am and were always able to get a few chairs. We never got up extra early to reserve chairs like a few reviewers did. You get a towel card for only one towel, which you can exchange as many times per day as needed. FYI...don't bring used towels to your room unless you want sand fleas.

FOOD: My friend also noted that the food was much better than 3 years ago; however, the nauseating smell of garlic was always in the air around feeding time. Not good. After a few days, it also appeared food started tasting much the same, although the descriptions of the food varied and sounded appealing. We missed breakfast most days, but the 3am Sharkies made up for it. haha. FYI...the milk in the pitcher is goat's milk so beware. I hated it!! :( The mid-week outside BBQ was pretty good. White Choco Bread was divine...you can take a loaf home w/you if you order 2 days b/f departure. We made reservations for the Annex Grille one night only. (It's not open every night FYI....and you must make reservations 24 hrs in advance by 8am at front desk.) Food at the Annex was pretty decent. Wine only served there. We all ordered the Beef Tenderloin and all were pretty satisfied. It definitely is a change of pace. Very quiet and subdued, so be prepared for that after partying pretty hard a few days! It feels kinda strange to be back to the "proper world." haha. The creme brulee served for dessert was more like egg custard though...yick. Sharkies at 2-3am was GREAT for curing the nextday hangover, we all found out. Sharkies has soup, quesadillas, burgers, pizza (we liked), fries, etc. The ladies behind the Sharkies counter always had a smile on their face and they had to have been burning up behind that stove with all the drunks waiting in line to order.

BARS/ALCOHOL: Main bar by pool opens at 9am til 2am. Sharkies after that til 4am. Oh, and Sharkies from 4pm-8pm, when acoustic music played. Only "premium" Vodka is Stolis. Disappointed there were no flavored vodkas though...only flavored rum. You can order mimosas made with Champagne, wine, shots, beer (Turks Head is actually pretty decent. Domestic beer: Budweiser, Bud Light, and one more). At dinner in the main cafeteria, you can feel free to pick up a bottle of wine from the cooler to take to your table. FYI...you can always order doubles if you find the drinks are on the weak side. Great bartenders. Always smiling and happy to accomodate.

OVERALL DYNAMIC OF THE CLUB: My friend noted some differences since 3 years ago. 3 years ago, it was more singles oriented. On our trip last week, there was a more subdued dynamic, although those that wanted to party could and do definitely do so. The age group ranged from 19 year olds there w/ their parents to senior citizens. Seemed like the average age was about 40 now. It was predominately Canadian w/ a few Europeans and Americans. Most all spoke English. Overall, I hear Clubmed is trying to make Turks more family-oriented, which is disappointing in my opinion. Beaches Turks is down the street and is much nicer and more catering to families. Go there if you are looking for that is what I say! But I don't think Clubmed is wanting to keep it mostly singles anymore. As far as rowdy singles go, well, you can make the trip what you want. It's not so much a "hedonism-type" resort. Sure, there's sex if you are looking for it, but it's not a crazy orgy by any means!! :) If you are looking to "hookup", then you can. If you want to be more laid back and skip the partying and just make some meaningful relationships, you can do that too. Overall, I felt very safe here and would even walk around alone at times, as the security guards would closely follow in that scenario.

G.O. SHOWS/ENTERTAINMENT: The trapeze show was awesome!!! )Go Danny, Josh, and Kaz! Kaz is a lil hottie out of Sarasota, FL.) I had a crush on him! :) The circus/acrobatic show was awesome (Go Danny, Josh, Kaz, and Jose!!) There was a "couples show" one night where 4 couples participated in some funny games. The Broadway-like/music show was kinda a buzzkill for us, but the older generations probably enjoyed it. There's nightly line-dancing which we participated in 1-2 nights. You kinda tire of it after a bit. The tennis/comedy show is really funny. There's a great acoustic guitar guy that plays at Sharkies starting at 4pm. He's great. Sharkies is the place to "chill" now, where 3 years ago, my friends said it was the "crazy hangout place"...defintely has changed.

GREAT G.O.'s (Gracious Organizers) TO LOOK FOR: Jose, Pascale, Benny, Emilio, Josh & Danielle (married Trapeze G.O.'s), Craig the D.J., Guly (Events Manager but soon to be leaving), Kaz (yummy), Carolyn, Diesel (Clubmed staffer), A.J. FYI: G.O.s only get a certain # of drink tickets/month, so help them out! Also, invite them to the Annex Grille one night, as they can only go if invited. The GO's were awesome...great attitudes, some very good-looking, fun. The GOs were NOT slimy and didn't appear to prey on the guests, as other reviewers noted. We made friends with all of them. A few would party with us at night, but nothing too extreme. They were very respectful and we were a group of 3 decent-looking girls. Get to know them!!

ACTIVITIES: We participated in water aerobics, trapeze (awesome!), and drinking all day/night. :) We made a great group of friends while there, so we mostly spent our time hanging out with them and didn't have the energy to be so active! :) Many people got involved though. Like I said, you make the trip whatever type vacation suits you. There's yoga, aerobic classes, sailing, snorkeling, salsa lessons, tennis lessons, etc. Mid-week, there is also a foam party at Sharkies. We didn't get in though.

PHONE/INTERNET USAGE: To call to the states, it's $2.74/minute! Internet is $1/min and there is a kiosk on the resort, but it was broken a few days. Don't waste your time buying calling cards beforehand b/c the resort/country will charge you regardless. If you desperately need cheaper internet, there is an internet cafe down the road charging about 35cents/min. To get there, I think you walk a few resorts down and take a little ferry to get there??

WHAT TO BRING: Wish we had been forewarned but there are nightly themes: Elegant Night, Black & White Night, White Night, Jeans and Colors Night, Black Night, another Elegant Night, etc. Guests wore everything though...some were casual, whereas my group was always more "cutesy/clubbing/nice going- out" attire at night. We always danced the night away though, where others couldn't have cared less. :) We wore our bathing suits only during the day. People wore flip flops to heeled shoes at night. Bring bug spray for night. There's great closet space in the room. 2 safes for valuables.

WHAT BUILDINGS TO REQUEST: Buildings A&D are closest to the heart of the club, w/ A being on the quieter side b/c it's not near Sharkies. If you like to party, request D, E, or F w/ Building D being preferred b/c closest to both the pool/restaurant/Sharkies.

Overall, I had an awesome time!!! B/c there is little to do elsewhere on the island, it kinda forces you to make friends and meet people/form relationships with those in the resort....which is good. WE also became rather close with the G.O.'s who were all very sad, too, when our "big group of friends" left. I had heard great things about Clubmed Cancun for singles while there, but since the hurricane, it was closed and everyone was being routed to Turks now. Next May, Cancun will open back up but again, I hear they are gearing it more towards family at that time. I don't know why Clubmed is doing that, but oh well. I had the best week ever though!!!!! The people made the trip for me!!

• Stayed November 2005
27 Thank emis100
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 14, 2005

Our 3rd trip to Club Med Turks and the best by far.
Only 40% occupied so that may have an influence.

Rooms were the best of any Club Med (15 trips to CM)...thats not saying much but we don't spend time in the room so it's not a big deal.

The staff was fantastic. The chief of the village was on top of everything. Benny at the bar is the best.

The beach is the most beautiful we've ever seen. We live in San Diego and my wife was born in Hawaii and we've found no beach like Turks Club Med. Our group would spend hours a day just floating in the warm water. Great sailing and diving.

Food was good as always.

Returnng in April and can't wait.

Dan

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charles Town, WV
Reviewed November 4, 2005

I am going to write a longer review someday....but I wanted to post at least a little something to help people who are stuck when choosing a resort. I think someone would have to be nuts not to have a good time here. There is something for everyone, even those who want to be pampered. The food was good, the beach amazing, lots of activities but also good places to be quiet. We (28 and 38, married) had a fantastic time, and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank woowoowoowoo
Orlando, FL
Reviewed October 31, 2005

We stayed Oct1-Oct8, we had good weather almost all week. We didnt experience any power outages or hurricanes, or anything like that. One night it was pouring -heavy rain, but the rest of the evenings were good. Daily weather was good, sunny and clear skies.

Room: Simple, ultra clean, nice facility. Bed is a little hard, but didnt notice after the first night.

Food: Above average, there is plenty of choices. There is plenty of salads, and meat (chicken, etc..), one night they had an italian buffet, another night a seafood buffet, they got a GREAT Tres leches dessert, and white chocolate bread. Dinner was better than lunch. I ate omelettes every morning for breakfast, but they got lots of fruits and other choices. I liked the restaurant, is only open on Wed and Mon. The restaurant has a more gourmet menu and you could sit in a more quiet/private area. You have to make the reservations the night before eating at the restaurant. Highly recommended.

Beach: Beautiful! Just the beach is worth the trip there. We saw a dolphin super close to the beach.
Snorkling: Good, twice per day. The guys take you to different places, I think they said they had 5 places where they go. We saw sharks (small sharks, no teeths, no worries), tourtles, lots of colorful fish...

People: A plus, everyone was super nice, GMs and GOs. Everyone tried to be helpful.

Drinks: The only drink that I like is pina colada, and there the mix wasn't too great, but everybody else had a good time drinking beer, or other regular alcoholic beverages

Gym: The gym is open like from 7am to midnight. They only got 2 elliptical, and 2 treadmills, lots of weight -equipment, 2 bikes, but even with the reduce equipment, If you go there, they got a 30 min usage rule, so you will not have any problems getting a good workout.

Sailing: Good, they had like 7 caramarans.

Activities: Lots to do! The shows at night are entertaining, they had a tennis show that was super funny. They also have a trapezee show that is very good, those guys/gals are very talented, and they got some dancing shows. Also, one night they got a band to play live. Also, they drop the agenda for the next day every night, so you know what to do and how to plan your day.

Overall is worth the visit, specially with such a beautiful Caribean beach and ocean!

• Stayed October 2005
19 Thank panedu50
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 31, 2005

I went there back in May 2005. It is a very elegant club, fun and nice but if you like water sports activities such as Water skiing or Kayak, go to Club Med Cancnu. I loved Cancun far better than Turquoise.

• Stayed May 2005