“Active Adult Group Adventure”

Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos
Ranked #26 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Phoenix, Arizona
“Active Adult Group Adventure”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Wow! What a great trip to Club Med Turks & Caicos. I took my group of active adults 55+ from Trilogy at Vistancia in Phoenix, Arizona last month in June. They had the time of their lives due to the Chef of the Village Mike and his wonderful team of GO's working there.
They all understood the village is a bit tired but the color of the water, the beach, the activities and fun the team organized for them was World Class. The welcome on the day of the groups arrival was amazing. They were taken to the rooms right away and the rooms are just fine. I don't know what some are saying about the rooms but they are just fine. They are large and kept very clean by the very nice house keepers. The sports and activities were happening all day long with instruction. Most of my group lived on the beach and sailed, paddle boarded, kayaked and swam all day but the highlights was the snorkeling program and scuba diving program that was offered by a real professional team of instructors. My hats goes off to these guys & gals for taking such great care of the groups and the GM's partaking in the program. I've been to the island once before but I don't recall the island being that expensive. I went out with some friends on the island before my group arrived and a beer was $8, a burger was $19 at a sports bar! So glad we stayed at Club Med. Last note I would like to make is the team of GO's lead by Mike who's from Australia. One of the nicest & friendliest GO teams I've seen in years with my groups. They are so nice and always saying hello and if they could do something for us. Bravo team and hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Gregger5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,138)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This review will be quite lengthy because I feel I must give justice to everyone that touched my life. Being the world traveler that I am, determined to see the world.. this place changed me more than any.

This Club Med prides itself on being a very affordable resort for singles, adults, couples and friends, no children allowed. With that taken into consideration, it is an amazing place. I could talk about the shower tile, the paint, the food or the bed linens all day, but what changed my life was the non-judgmental attitude, open-armed welcome and the new life-long friends I made!

The first day we arrived very late in the evening to a warm welcome of people who greeted us with tea, hugs and they whisk our luggage away to the room. We grabbed some food because of the long day of travel and enjoyed the show. We stayed in the deluxe room with 2 twin beds. The rooms were beautifully laid out with crispy white linens and were immaculately clean. The room included 2 closets, a refrigerator, and a separate room for the toilet!

The second day we woke up early and our breath was taken away by not only the beauty of the island and water but the resort. Club Med is so beautifully laid out with the pool/bar area having a beautiful view of the beach and water. We enjoyed an amazing breakfast spread with a view of the beautiful island. The beach has soft white sand with turquoise water. When you swim in the water it's so light and clear you float. We enjoyed our day by the pool and at the beach. The Club Med staff were friendly, always smiled and said hello when passing, as well as helpful in every way to make sure your stay was amazing.

Now I'm going to list all the events and people that really made our 7 day stay outstanding.

Rooms - Our personal room assistant Sonique was amazing. She cleaned the room daily as if we just arrived. She was always willing to help and provide anything we needed. The room included crisp white linens, Robes and white towels. Beach towels were provided any time we needed fresh clean ones.

Front Desk/Customer Service - We had a couple of minor issues with arriving so late and the weekly dress code, which was not the fault of the club but actually the booking agent at the main Club Med customer service. Paula at the front desk went out of her way to make every thing right and was so incredibly nice about it all. This type of attitude was the norm at this Club Med, everyone cared about the guests and went to great lengths to make sure you were having a great time. They get to know you, make friends with you and really treat you like a family. Two people that really touched me that I must mention is Teddy Tillman and Mike Clarke. Teddy was head of sports and if you were getting off a snorkeling boat, he was there, getting a workout in the pool, he was there waving and saying "HI" or down by the sailboats and paddle boards if you needed a hand! I finally asked him if he had a twin because it was a bit wild that he was in 4 places at once sometimes! Mike Clarke was also every where with a smiling face. Making sure every guest was happy in every way.

Shows - I could write a 10 page monologue about these shows. They were campy, sometimes cheesy but OUTSTANDING! Singing, dancing, circus, comedy and audience precipitation. It was so great to spend hours at the bar, enjoy a show and hang out and meet new people.

Fitness - There was so many opportunities to get fit while at the club. It included Yoga, Zumba, water fitness and aerobics. Everyday I was out at the pool getting fit with Richard Oaxaca. He was so fit, full of energy and SO much fun. I loved hanging out with him.

Pool Area - The pool was so big, beautiful and clean. There were so many chairs and enough for everyone to relax and enjoy the weather. The life guard, Dylan, was so friendly and loved to chat and make friends. They were always doing "Crazy Sign" out at the pool with line dancing and crazy fun. It made you feel like you were a part of the fun crowd!

Paddle Boarding, Wind Surfing and Sailing - This was also so much fun. We spent so much time surfing and our guide was Derf. He was fantastic and so friendly and really wanted to make sure we had a great time. Now paddle boarding was a little different. My recommendation is to not do this alone. I experienced the teacher Francis who gave me less than a 1 minute instruction where I found myself swept out into the ocean too far and it scared me a bit. When I arrived back to shore, I just popped him up-side the head and said.. "forget about it!" lol.. My advice on this one if you are a newbie is to ask for more help if you get Francis, he had way too much confidence in my clumsiness.

Bar/Food - The food at this resort was outstanding. I can't tell you how impressed I was with it. My friend did have a little difficulty in the beginning being a vegetarian but when we discussed it with Mike Clarke and the chef Mikey they helped her find foods that accommodated her needs. If you are a vegetarian, just ask for help when you first get there and they will help you with options. Everyday the huge buffet was open 3 times a day for breakfast, lunch and Dinner. If you didn't make it to the times that were available there was late breakfast snacks, midday snacks and even Sharkies bar was open mid afternoon for burgers, wraps and panini sandwiches. I came home with an extra 5 pound and that was with all the extra swimming and working out. The open bar was exquisite! They had a speciality drink every day and were willing to make just about any drink you asked for. I love banana daiquiris and they didn't make those but Alex, the outstanding bartender, suggested another drink with banana liquor! Again.. Club Med going out of their way to make you feel special!

Circus - What can I say about this but WOW! Kory and Patrick were so incredibly sweet to me. Being a clumsy girl that's afraid of heights I never thought I could do it. Kory had me up and swinging in no time. What was so incredible to me was the non-judgmental attitude. No one at Club Med gives you that look, rolls their eyes or makes you feel like you are inferior.. they treat you like a friend and really mean it.

Snorkeling/Diving - I saved this one for last because it was the one thing that really changed my life. I went snorkeling for the first time at Club Med Turkoise and couldn't believe what I saw. They offer snorkeling 2 times a day at 10 & 2:30. The water is so beautiful, the fish are breathtaking and the Dive/Snorkel staff are the best of everyone. I first met Marie and Amy when snorkeling for the first time. They were so helpful and willing to give as much instruction as possible. I had an amazing time and decided to go for the 2nd trip at 2:30. This time they had to drag me on the boat when it was over and scold me for not coming when the horn blew. I was then encouraged that I should be diving. The next morning I was there bright and early again at 10 where Marie Robi greeted me with a smile and again encouraged me that I was way too advanced for snorkeling, that I should give Diving a shot.

I went right after snorkeling trip to sign up for Scuba discovery. I was scared half to death of what I was getting myself in to but I knew I belonged in the water and had to give it a shot. I was greeted with a huge smile by Nick Roberts, the master diver and encouraged not to be nervous. He went step by step over the theory until I felt comfortable with the information and we took our first dive in the pool. I couldn't believe what a great instructor I was learning from and my dive in the pool was a HUGE success. He came out of the water telling me I was a natural and diving was in my blood. I mentioned that he probably said that to all the guests and he said not in his line of work! The next day I was given the opportunity to dive with another instructor because it was Nick's day off. I was a bit nervous about that but the other dive instructor was outstanding. Nemo went over the equipment again, what I needed to remember, and took great care of me out in the water. I couldn't believe how wonderful this experience was. Such beautiful fish but also the tour under the water I was given by Nemo. I came out of the water with such a BIG smile on my face and wonderful feeing inside.. I couldn't believe how awesome. That night I scheduled another dive with Nick Roberts because I just felt I must dive with my original instructor but also I was craving to be out in the water again. For the dive with Nick, he again went over all the steps with me, constantly teaching me on the boat before we dove, and when I had a malfunction with my weight belt, he was on it and fixed it within seconds. His dive with me was so great, he taught me so much in just a short amount of time, I'm going back to get certified by him. They are all truly outstanding professionals.

The most amazing thing of all of it was the encouragement and friendship. I feel like I met new life-long friends. Club Med staff showed so much kindness, love and friendship to anyone that wanted it. I went away with a new perspective on life, new friends, and forever fond memories I will never ever forget.

Room Tip: No elevators so ask for a ground floor if possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank Cyndelee
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We have been here with friends and as a couple several times! Every time we go, we make new friends. The beach is the most amazing part of this location! We enjoy all the activities and the GO's are the absolute best at what they do. You will never be bored at this Club Med unless you choose to be. The rooms are average, but we don't spend any time in our room except to sleep and change clothes. The food overall is good but can be salty at times. Love, Love, Love our time there every time!

Room Tip: Don't worry about getting a good room, you won't be in there much!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dawn W
Wanaque, New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed at Club Med Turkoise from July 5th through the 11th. Our experience was positive overall, with some considerations.

Club Med does not pretend to be a luxury resort, so it can't be penalized for not being one. (We knew this and divided our time on the island between Club Med and a luxury resort for different experiences.) Club Med is what it purports to be, a comfortable bed and shower to use in between getting outside and doing things. The beach is absolutely superb. We rarely visited the pool as the beach was so perfect that we wanted to spend all of our outdoors time there. The room was adequate but run down. The maids did a fine job of keeping it clean, but with mildew on the curtains and in the shower, the room sometimes smelled like a local indoor pool with bleach and mold in constant battle. Fortunately the bleach won most of the time, but this smell was a bit much to get used to.

The property is in dire need of an upgrade. The aforementioned mildew needs to be addressed on a deeper level than drowning it with bleach. The televisions are low definition and small. Of course, you don't go to Club Med to watch television, but when you do turn it on, you'd expect it to be clear and visible. The public televisions by the sports area are also low definition. We were there during the world cup. Lots of people were excited about it, but it was hard to actually see the scores or other details on the screen. There were broken shades on most of the lights in the dining areas, resulting in bare bulbs giving the room a cafeteria feel instead of a resort feel. The yoga mats in the fitness center were literally falling apart, with bits of rubber pilling off of them when you used them.

On the upside, the grounds are pretty. The beach is without rival. The vibe is relaxed and fun. The activity options are numerous and diverse. The resort is also environmentally friendly, offering water fountains and filling stations throughout the grounds, and encouraging people to refill their water bottles to minimize trash.

Food was hit or miss with some definite bright spots. We found that the fresh options, including omelet stations, pasta stations, the grill at Sharkeys, and meat carving stations were quite good. Things that sat in a tray on the buffet line tended to be more tired and mushy. We realized this quickly and simply avoided buffet items and ate freshly prepared foods and we were quite happy with this choice. Fresh ham and lamb was fantastic. Fish wraps and chicken wraps at Sharkeys were great lunch options. The white chocolate bread is still wonderful.

The GOs were terrific. Special shout out goes to the bartenders, especially Manu. The bars were busy, especially after dinner and evening entertainment. The bartenders handled the demand professionally and cheerily. We were especially impressed when my husband and I approached the bar, and seeing how busy it was, we chatted and decided to wait to get the bartenders attention after it slowed down. Within literally a minute, while we were looking at each other, we felt our empty glasses lifted from our hands and replaced. Manu managed to remember our drinks and to refill them before we asked in the midst of a very busy, demanding time. Major props to him. As busy as he was, he was conversant and pleasant every time that we ran into him.

One thing that we disliked about Club Med was having to pay for unreliable Wi Fi. We'd have preferred that the wi fi was included in the room charge since this is an all-inclusive resort, but instead we were charged PER DEVICE!! So my husband and I needed to purchase separate access. We got past this easily enough, but then we were told that wi fi in the rooms is not guaranteed, so that we were paying for wi fi, but could only get a reliable, consistent signal at the front desk area. The signal in our room ended up working, most of the time. It frequently dropped the connection. We were not happy paying for wi fi that was only reliable outside of the room.

In short, Club Med is a fun place with great outside options, but the interior of the property (rooms restaurants, fitness center) needs attention. We played outside and had a great time, but a comfier inside habitat would have made this a nicer stay.

Room Tip: AC worked fine in our room on first floor. We met someone who stayed on the second floor and said t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoudWritr
Gardiner, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2014

2nd time here - 1st was honeymoon in 2007. Great then, fantastic now. No children. Water beautiful. Food very good - much variety. Water Sports group wonderful - Hobie Hobie Hobie catting! Showed about four couples how to sail and they loved it. (DID I MENTION NO KIDS?) Having 5 grandkids am looking forward to taking them all to Punta Cana Club Med. International charm. Kept meeting interesting people. An inclusive club with class. No tackiness to be found.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms really are worth it. Besides extra swim towels, comp bathrobes/slippers, refrigera...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jamesdavidbell
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This vacation tops them all!!
Fantastic GO Team! Water Sports, Shows, Socializing and Dancing :)
Beautiful Beach!!
We did not want to leave! Facility safe and clean!
We WILL be back! Wish I was there now :(

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Cindy L
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We had a great time and our group loved the whole experience! We knew ahead of time that the rooms were not described as plush, but we had no intention of spending our vacation sitting in our room. We found them to be very adequate, safe, clean, and well attended to. The staff at Turkoise, combined with an amazing beach and incredible water, really made our vacation wonderful. We were a diverse group of four that included 3 generations, ages from 24 to 71. We found that there was plenty of sports and activities for the more agile of us and yet it was comfortable and relaxing for the older ones. The staff, GO's, and Mike really did a good job of making us feel welcome there and helped us feel like we "belonged" by getting to know us, where we were from, and making us feel really comfortable about trying new things (such as TRAPEZE --wow, scary when you are afraid of heights, but so addictive!, sailing and sea kayaking). The bar tenders were generous and friendly, the food was fantastic (oh, THE BREAD!), and the whole atmosphere was very upbeat and positive. This was our first Club Med and I admit I expected it to be a bit cheesy, but after the first day I was sold. I would go here again, and also would like to go to some other Club Meds. We went on the off season, which was wonderful, no crowds on the beach or for activities. After spending a week there we stayed in a condo on the island and were walking down the street when we heard our names from across and down the street. It was some of the trapeze and athletic crews waving to us. It was nice to see that they remembered us and greeted us as friends rather than just prior guests. Thank you, Turkoise team for making our stay the very best, you made work seem like fun! Kory, Patrick, Marifer, Patricia, Derf, Dylan, Sobah, Richard and Diesel...Cheers! If you are ever in Alaska, give us a shout!

Room Tip: Have an idea of what type of activities that you will be most interested in and ask for one that is...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family