“Club Med...short for Club Medical”

Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos
Ranked #26 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Boston, Massachusetts
“Club Med...short for Club Medical”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Chances of you needing medical attention due to the unsanitary conditions is highly likely!

I was at this Club Med property two years ago and it had many issues, but I would not have returned if I knew that the property and its rooms have gone downhill and is even more run down. I would feel more comfortable sleeping outside. Guaranteed that if they were not situated on a pristine beach, with amazingly clear, calm, clean and stunningly turquoise-colored water, this place would we out of business.

Requested in reservation to be on the "Garden" side and either the second, or third floor and definitely not the first floor. Arrived and was given room on far, opposite "Marina" side and on the first floor. Had to switch rooms (room 1063) because room was damp and moldy. You could see the mold growths on the walls. The room is missing the picture above the bed. A light cover is burned. The walls have plenty of black, scuff marks on them. The windows are filthy. Was switched to room on Garden side. Encountered towels with feces stains on them, dangerous hair dryer "electrical outlet," dried blood stain on the mattress pad, TV with poor reception, mosquitos that bite me while I slept, tiny mites crawling around the bathroom sink, countertop and table, scuffed bedside table, dirty and stained shower floor and soap holder that hasn't been cleaned in months, or more (refer to photos that I added). If you are staying there alone, like many do, you might not feel safe with a cheap, loose door knob. Informed room maid of what we needed to have done and she did her best to clean the room and provide us with cleaner towels. She was pleasant and helpful. Most are not.

Club Med is run by mostly twenty something year olds who are unprofessional and clueless. Most are friendly, they just lack Customer Service knowledge and skills. They appear to be more interested in partying with the guests than doing their jobs. It has a college Spring Break feel and for an adult only club, it is inappropriate. We are not entertained by the silly skits that they put on for us. Desi at the Front Desk is rude, cocky and has a bad attitude...both times that we had to unfortunately deal with her. Additionally, she rudely threatened to charge us an extra day for staying in the room past 1000 check-out time. I was unaware of what check-out time was, as we were not informed of it when we checked in. Charlotte was helpful, but made you feel like you were bothering her. She ignored us in passing for the remainder of the trip. Alex, the Bartender, is nice and professional and makes good drinks. Otherwise drinks are weak. Other bartenders get irritated if you ask them for more than 2 drinks at a time. The bar area absolutely smells rotten. The food is excellent and you have many choices to select from. The plates need to be cleaned off as there as numerous fingerprints smeared on them. Miguel, the Pastry Chef needs to be friendly and smile. The waitresses need to smile more as well and a simple greeting would be nice. They do work hard, though, by picking up after the guests plates, etc. Btw, we do not need to be told where to seat and we do not have to have the Club Med employees purposely sit and mingle at our tables. It seems required and forced. They do not need that and neither do we.

The photographers on property are ANNOYING. GET RID OF THEM! The pictures are for sale and are ridiculously expensive. Uh, I brought my own camera, thanks. One photographer in particular is outright perverse. He had Samuel on the name tag, but so did someone else. He is the taller of the two and usually has a toothpick in his mouth. The other Samuel is just high on something all the time and my husband had to pull him out of the bushes once when he fell into it. The pushy perv tried to get me to pose in ways that you only see in Playboy. I felt very uncomfortable with his suggestions. My husband was angry and held himself back from giving him a beating. Afterwards, I noticed him taking pictures of mostly women. For example, he showed up to the softball game, took many pictures of one girl and left. So inappropriate. He crosses the line.

Watch out for the older van driver who delivers you from the airport to the resort. It's $15.00 p/p. We gave him $40.00 and he thought he should keep the change. He was upset when I asked him for it.

Bring insect repellant. You will be bitten in your room and by the bar and front desk area.

You can eat at Sharkie's Bar for lunch. That food is sitting around in the heat and is uncovered. Hopefully the lettuce, etc. has been washed. I feared that it wasn't.

The pool area needs more umbrellas so one can take a break from the hot sun. The seat cushions are ripped and absolutely dirty (refer to my pictures). Be sure to lay a towel down before you lay in these sofa beds. Gross! Be careful of a "pothole" on the cement by the pool. Other guests and I nearly twisted our ankle when we stepped into it. We informed three employees, but no one did anything about it. No surprise.

The basketball court needs resurfacing. Many great activities to involve yourself with though (tennis, softball, snorkeling, sailing on a Hobie Cat...).

I can go on and on. Bottom line: The beach/ocean is spectacular. The food is excellent. Extremely unsanitary/dirty everywhere. Half of the staff is friendly, but not helpful and knowledgeable about customer service. These young adults should not be in charge of running an adult business. There appears to be no supervision and probably no consequences for not doing your work. The resort needs major repairs and needs to be cleaned, majorly. Club Med and its employees noticeably DO NOT CARE. Is this the kind of reputation that they want? They collect your money and put none of it back in to it. DO NOT stay at this resort. It is worth paying more money to stay at our resorts along the beach.

13 Thank 77Diana77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

if you love college this is the place for you.
The quality of customer service is bad to say the least the rooms are nasty the beaches are awesome, the staff seems like you are bothering them when asking them for something like a drink!!! I mean we work hard and got poor service, they don't clean the rooms the first room was so moldy we could not breathe when asking the front desk they seemed irritated, I was heated at this point then after a few days on our other nasty room, we finally tried to have a great time!!! the photo team what ever the hell that is..trying to tell my wife to pose for them it was very :"offensive"...again no supervision at all the photos I added will, depict the attitude..... I tried to overcome, the food was great ...and drink all you want. If you don't get a dirty look from the bartender, I mean the beach was great water was great....the pool was nice but has not been done in 25 years seeing the concrete, has not been done over...very poor quality and the basketball court was very bad quality. It looked abandoned college campus and the customer service was abandoned, if not for the beach everything else was out the window..
need a leader the management was non existent at best. I would never return- rooms were a 0 out of 10..the blankets have not been changed since the 60's seedy very seedy. I have seen hourly motels look better...sad.

Room Tip: choose another hotel resort...you cant sleep on the beach which was the only clean area. That and th...
4 Thank usmc67_13
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We just returned from 7 wonderful nights at Club Med Turkoise. It the first visit for both of us. We just can’t say enough good things about Mike Clarke (Chef de Village) and his amazing staff members including Ara, Kyle, McKenzie, Elisa, Patricia, Arnie, Marc, Serena, Ainsley, Ruth, and Gotta (along with too many others to be named). The staff at Club Med Turkoise greeted us by name every day and quickly made us feel like we were long lost friends. Mike and his staff all had great energy and the village came alive every night by the bar.

The weather and water were incredibly beautiful. The food was simply wonderful, especially at Sharkie’s Grill! One of our best memories was participating in the “Love is in the Air” show. I laughed so hard I had a headache and my side ached – tears were streaming down my face faster than I could wipe them. The entertainment each and every night was so much fun that we arrived early to make sure we had a good seat! The Beach Party and party at Sharkey's Bar and Grill were also incredibly fun. There was live music every afternoon at Sharkey's where Gotta will make you an amazing cheeseburger and the best French fries around!

The rooms are simple, but, clean. We didn’t spend all day every day in our room so it was just fine for us. The room was extremely quiet and we had no problem sleeping in each morning without being disturbed. The bed was comfortable enough (I didn’t get a back ache). Housekeeping did a great job every day keeping the room and bathroom clean. The A/C struggled some days to keep the room as cool as we would have preferred, but it was tolerable.

The Club Med Turkoise beach is incredibly large - we attended a wedding at the nearby Beaches resort and their beach is only about 1/3 the size compared to Club Med’s beach. The resort grounds are just beautiful and well maintained. The mosquitos and sand fleas were a little bit of a challenge. The resort sprays the grounds twice a day for mosquitos. They treated our room for mosquitos promptly when we mentioned we had mosquitos bothering us in the evenings. Just remember to pack the insect repellent when you visit. This is a tropical problem, not a Club Med Turkoise problem – there were mosquitos at the Beaches resort just as bad…

Most days, we simply relaxed. But with all of the activities in the resort throughout the day, you can do as much or as little as you. The primary reason we selected Club Med Turkoise is that it is limited to adults, 18 and over. As long as this resort stays adults only, we plan on visiting again later this Fall. You cannot beat the price - it is an extremely economical, relaxing, and fun resort.

The resort does need to upgrade its wireless Internet access. I needed to access the Internet and it was not entirely reliable where our room was located. Not a huge deal when you’re supposed to be on vacation, but it would be nice to have a stronger signal. Overall, we were extremely satisfied with our vacation and have already started making plans to return this Fall!

Madonna B.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
clubmedofficial, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Madonna B,

It’s great to hear how much you enjoyed our resort over a variety of aspects, particularly the food, staff, events, and beach! We know our staff will be thrilled to hear what you thought about their service. Thanks for sharing the kind words and we are excited to cater to you again upon your return.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I just came back from 12 amazing days at Club Med Turks and Caicos. It was my 4th time and one of my best. I don't think we could have asked for more. I live in Paradise (San Diego) so already I am pretty picky...The weather and water could not have been more beautiful, the food was amazing, we ate in the Annex Restaurant and it was excellent. We met our East Coast Family (another couple) they too have been to many Club Meds, and were equally impressed. Mike Clarke (Chef de Village) and his team did a great job, he was always around the property and was very approachable, he also had great energy and the village came alive every night by the bar. We went to the Sharkey's Party, Beach Party and any other party that went on during the week. We also did so much during the day, tennis, snorkeling, paddle boarding, windsurfing, kayaking and long walks on that amazing beach. The rooms are simple, but, clean, plenty of towels, and plenty of room for clothes. This is the most beautiful beach on Grace Bay, we walked by many hotels and most of them had a very small beach compared to Club Med.
When you look at Club Med from the Sea, it is low rise so it looks so natural, no high rise structure, it has a special look and feel..We met so many people from around the globe and anyone we talked to, did not want to leave! You can do as much or as little as you want at Club Med and that is the beauty of it, at least there are choices. Everyday at 5 pm at Sharkey's Bar and Grill there was live music, also, a special thanks to Gotta who makes a great cheeseburger and wraps, and always gave you his smile. This property is for adults, 18 and over, which many of the guests find appealing. Even though I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the U.S. we are talking about going back to C.M. Turks in October. Thank you Mike for making our trip a memorable one, cannot wait to see you and your team again. Linda Mitchel

Room Tip: We upgraded to building B, Top Floor, we had an Ocean View, but, you are never in your room.
2 Thank lm13_13
Dear lm13_13,

We’re thrilled you enjoyed so many aspects of your trip! From the parties and windsurfing to the food and atmosphere, we couldn’t have asked for a better review. Thanks for sharing; we’ll be sure to let our Chef Mike know how much he was appreciated. We look forward to having you and your husband again for another memorable vacation.

Dallas/Ft. Worth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Here is my caveat....this is not a resort I would ever have selected personally, but was there for work and was not offered a choice. That having been said, I was excited about its location and checked-in with optimism.

You can boil this resort down to two very-good assets and one very bad one: The food and the beach were excellent (four stars plus). The rooms were poor (two stars max, borderline seedy).

I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the food, especially because the resort is all-inclusive (normally a red flag to foodies). Also excellent was the beach...which was long, uncrowded, and beautiful. SO...the tacky rooms could almost be forgiven if the problem was not such an easy fix. The buildings need paint and new roofing badly, and the rooms desperately need new bedding and furnishings. Seriously...someone please run to Walmart and purchase some inexpensive-but-made-within-the-last-20-years-bedspreads and curtains that don't look like they were designed for a rest-home. In some places, this club med looks like a hurricane hit it and it was re-opened without renovation. There is just no excuse for a resort with this much potential to be so ambivalent about its buildings. I'm not asking for luxury, just decency.

This is a frustrating review for me, because there are so many good things about the Turkoise. Unfortunately though, the bad trump the good. I was told on the island that many guests tolerate/overlook the accommodations because of the resort's other positives. If you can do that, then this place might work for you...but don't be mislead by a four-star ranking on Tripadvisor. I cannot recommend it...but just the slightest effort at renovation would change my lack of enthusiasm immediately.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank FlyingT-Rex
North Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I just came back from TCI-Club Med and I can say my experience there was excellent. The staff are great and fun. I recommend this place. The food is great, the beach is breath taking, they provide activities that in other hotels you probably have to pay for it. Can't wait to go back. Thank you, Derek Allen (Chef), Mike (Manager) and Patricia (Zumba inst.) for treating us like royalty!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Yoherry A
clubmedofficial, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Yoherry A,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent vacation. We are pleased you enjoyed are different amenities, as well as our CDV and other staff members. We look forward to your return so that we may continue to treat you like royalty. Thank you again for your account.

Rockport, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was my husband's and my second time to Turkoise. We knew the rooms would be simple and clean; and they were. The food, as always, considering the island's limitation, is the best deal going and delicious with something for everyone. Desserts and pastries to die for. There is always food available between the dining room(s) and beach bar; and the drinks are better than the last time we were there when we were sure they were watered down. It is annoying not to be able to get anything but bottom shelf liquor though until 6:30 p.m. The staff was helpful and friendly at all times. We enjoyed the sailing and sailing staff, but the equipment is very tired. Need some infusion of parts and some new sails. Snorkling excellent. Beach is phenominal. Work out room adequate and needs a good cleaning. No instructions to run audio/video available there and would have helped. There was a shortage of towels in the room late in the week which was remedied post haste by the front desk staff upon request. But the fact is, you cannot beat the price and the fact that there is no one under 18 there. As long as this site stays adults only we will go back again for sure. It is the most economical, relaxing and fun all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SandyBay001
Dear SandyBay001,

Thank you for sharing about your recent Club Med Turkoise stay. We appreciate your feedback, and are looking to improve our practices and amenities consistently. We’re pleased you enjoyed the sailing, snorkeling, and beach. Thank you again, and we hope to have you back to Turks and Caicos soon.