“Professional dive operation”

Art Pickering's Provo Turtle Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive With the Oldest and Most Respected Dive Operation in the Turks & Caicos Islands....... Established in 1970, Provo Turtle Divers, Ltd. Is the oldest and most experienced dive operation in the Turks & Caicos Islands. For over 44 years we have explored the reefs and walls of these islands, discovering new dive sites and uncovering some of the most unusual underwater spectacles accessible to divers in the Turks & Caicos. We believe in small group diving with concierge level service - no "cattle boat" diving with us!
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Professional dive operation”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I (both advanced divers) dove 2 days with PTD. We were impressed by the professionalism of the crew. The dive masters (who also drove the PTD van) picked us up at our hotel promptly on both days. Dave, the boat captain (also a dive instructor), took the time to draw each dive site on a board and explained the dive plan in detail, including what we could expect to see. An air tank was provided at 15 feet, just in case a diver runs out of air. We felt that safety was a primary concern of this operation. I would highly recommend them, especially to novice divers, who still need to gain confidence in the water. Of the dive masters (also dive instructors), we found Gary friendlier and easier to talk to. Steve was more reserved. Boat was not crowded, groups were limited to 6 divers per dive master. Granola bars, chips, cookies, pineapple, carrots, peanut butter and water were provided during our surface interval. Overall, we'd say PTD is a well-run operation.

1 Thank TML212

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Perfect balance of competence and friendliness”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I did 3 days of diving (6 dives), and it was all spectacular. The mix of sites were great, giving me a solid variety of stuff to see from sharks, rays, walls, schools of fish, and great coral/sponges. Really what struck me with Provo Turtle Divers is just how great the staff were. Really competent, when I showed up they had everything ready to go, no confusion, no hassle. Boat itself was like every dive boat (they really do all look the same!), but well-equipped and not overstuffed with folks. Got a chance to meet Art himself on 2 days of diving and he had some great stories to tell. Divemasters from south africa were great to dive with; definitely felt confident but at the same time not too mothered like can happen on some dives.

Never felt rushed, was able to dive within my limits but at the same time never felt abandoned. In particular what stood out to me is how they explained the site before the dive, which really enhanced my enjoyment since I didn't spend half the dive trying to orient myself or constantly worry about getting lost, since I had some sense before doing down of the general configuration of the site.

Overall I can't say there's anything they can do better (other than invent a device to summon hammerheads and whalesharks on demand). Would definitely dive with these folks again should I get a chance to visit TCI as it was a great experience and I can think of no reason to try a different operation since over 3 days of diving they was consistently professional, safe, and fun.

2 Thank Brian R
Washington DC, District of Columbia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great dives and staff!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Art and his staff are AWESOME! I did 2 two-tank dives with them. I am an advanced diver have experienced every kind of dive op you can imagine from the cattle car boats of Florida to the little outriggers in the Philippines. One of the best things about PTD is the boat.It's well maintained and CLEAN! It's small enough to have a manageable number of divers without feeling like you're just another number and big enough to have plenty of room to set up and relax. The divemaster to diver ratio is great! You really get the kind of personal attention so important to a great dive! They know where to take you and know where all the cool critters hide out! Speaking of the divemasters - they are all personable and very easy going and great to talk to and ask questions of! I highly recommend them!

Jackson, Mississippi
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“best dive shop in provo”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Art and his crew do an excellent job at everything. Very professional and you will not be disappointed. We had a private dive master, Gary, who I would recommend highly. We will be back diving with them soon.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great and personal dive group”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

After a not so great experience on another local dive boat, we checked with one of the larger shops who was booked for the next morning. They recommended we try Provo Turtle divers. Art and his crew (including Dewy the terrier!) were great. Very professional. Very personable. We loved the on-board art work the crew did to lay out the dive plan! Wish we could have stayed with them the rest of the week, but we couldn't get out of our reservation with the larger shop. I highly recommend this dive group!