“Not what it used to be”
Review of Grace Bay Club

Grace Bay Club
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed January 26, 2007

Grace Bay Club is transitioning from a boutique resort to an
owner rental pool property. We had visited in years past and it is a different experience. The buildings, rooms, grounds and beach are, indeed, first class. Unfortunately, there were numerous instances poor or no service.
Twice, late in the afternoon, we had to call to have the room serviced. The trash bins in the pool and beach area were not emptied in our five day stay. There were only occasional offers of water at the pool and beach, and no food or beverage service was offered. The was no guide of hotel or spa services in the room. As a result, only on the last night did we discover the second restaurant, The Grill, was open for dinner. Aside from airport transportation, the one time we used the shuttle was an hour wait, despite being told three times it was on the way (for a short five minute drive).
Simply, the services did not live up to the expectations (or cost) of a 4 or 5 star resort.
The primary restaurant was a pleasant expericence, as was lunch at the Grill. Most of the staff were pleasant and accomodating.
There were a number of young families on vacation, perhaps another indication of transition. This used to be an adult oriented resort. Either is fine, but it would be good to be clear about it.
Finally, we stayed in a junior suite. It was a delilghtful room, with a spectacular view, but not a suite.
At the price, it's a poor value.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank bagspackedDallas
Write a ReviewReviews (1,777)

Reviewed December 27, 2006

My fiance and I travelled to Grace Bay for a week straddling Nov and Dec. I am 30 and my fiance is in her mid 20s. This was our second time in Turks and Caicos, having stayed at Parrot Cay last year at the same time of year.

The positive aspects of Grace Bay are the rooms (larger and with a better view than at Parrot Cay for the same money), the efforts of the hotel manager Awet (who we found extremely friendly) and the ability to try the different restaurants at neighboring resorts every evening (at Parrot Cay you are stuck with the 2 very expensive [though delicious and high quality] restaurants onsite).

The negative aspects were a frustratingly uneven standard of service among the staff, and the construction going on at other parts of the beach (the sound did not carry much thankfully but it is still an eyesore when you are talking a walk). Examples of the uneven standard of service: A relatively lackadaisical attitude among the beach staff. From other reviews on this site I learned that the staff gives out free water bottles at the beach, however nobody at the resort ever informed me about that fact and the beach staff did not offer water when we passed them. We had to request it (but how would we have known to ask if we had not read about that fact here?). We also had to go out of our way to ask for towels to be put down on chairs despite the fact that the staff saw us walking and were not busy. While this is relatively benign, it was disappointing b/c at Parrot Cay the staff is all over these type of details. Another example of the uneven service: we purchased a package that included a complimentary lunch and dinner at Anacaona (the onsite restaurant). When we checked in I asked how we could claim those meals, and was told that one simply had to inform the restaurant staff when ordering. I subsequently learned that was false, in fact it was necessary to present a certificate from reception. Grace Bay apparently forgot to include it with the packet when I checked in. The next day I walked over to the reception and asked them to give me these certificates. It took them a full half hour of bumbling around before they could actually produce them. They then told me they were just making sure they didn't give it to me earlier, which left a bad taste in my mouth. Did they actually think somebody would travel to this standard of resort and try to scam free meals? It was also unpleasant to have a 1/2 hour of sunlight taken out of my day when I should have had the certificates at checkin. Our frustration was further compounded when the restaurant ended up taking the certificate but still charging our hotel bill for that particular dinner. During the week I developed the impression the reception was poorly run. While sitting in that area waiting for various rides to take us snorkling or to lunch at another resort we witnessed several arrivals of other guests from the airport. The staff at times was caught off guard and was scrambling to get people's paperwork together, which in retrospect was clearly why our meal certificates went missing. I was pretty shocked to see this in a 5 star hotel, with such a small amount of rooms. A small amount of planning would make a huge difference to their ability to properly greet guests and check them in. On the positive note concerning service, hotel manager Awet is very energetic. I feel he is capable and over time will improve the lack of consistancy with service at the property. As an example of his positive attitude, he noticed the staff was busy at the restaurant when we arrived for lunch, so he ran over and sat us at a table, took our orders and brought out our drinks. Awet actually worked at Parrot Cay before. Another example of positive service was the poolside bartender Marvin. He had a great attitude, made the bar fun, and absolutely went out of his way to make guests feel comfortable. When I was having trouble lighting cigar due to the wind, he came around the bar to help out with matches and to ask as a shield to the wind. When my fiance arrived and there was no chair, he immediately ran to get an extra without even being asked. When we were chilling in the jacuzzi at the other side of the pool he made clear he was happy to bring over drinks if we liked , and indeed walked them over when we asked him to. We also had a positive experience late one night when my fiance was feeling dehydrated and there was nowhere to get some water bottles, we called the reception and 10 minutes later somebody came by with 4 bottles free of charge.

In summary, although my earlier negative comments about the service might make it sound like we did not have a nice stay, we actually had a very relaxing time. The beach is gorgeous, and all the rooms have a view of the ocean, which is very nice. However, if you are debating between here and Parrot Cay, I would definitely advise for the latter.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank d81976
Reviewed December 22, 2006

Just returned from our 5 day stay at GBC. I had to change my room when we arrived since it was not the room that I specifically requested. It was dark and dingy to say the least. They, at first, told us that there were no other rooms, but the hotel was 40% booked. After refusing to stay there they came up with a decent room directly on the ocean -- happy about that. This should never happen at a supposed 5* hotel. The front desk was not accomodating nor professional. Almost everyone had the excuse that they were "new". It seems that a big change is happening in the office and no one knew what to do. The conceirge was very nice but admitted that he was new and couldn't help too much. I was very disappointed in his response, but he did try. Now for the cleanliness/housekeeping. I had to call to request a housekeeper on the third day after I realized that the bathroom was not cleaned -- only new towels were replaced. Totally unacceptable for a 4 or 5*. I then overheard someone talking about turndown service and I had never seen that. They said that they forgot us -- every night??? After repeated calls they came. Now for the pros -- great beach!!!, wonderful restaurant under the stars with good live music. Very upbeat atmosphere.

Service and rooms need work to keep a 5* rating. Or, the price should reflect GBC as it is now -- not what it was 5 yrs. ago. I would recommend Grace Point if you desire a nicer atmosphere and their restaurant is excellent for lunch. Dinner at Grace Point wasn't that good and there were too many mosquitos.

9  Thank 10964j
Reviewed December 11, 2006

We were staying at GBC on a complimentary basis as a result of a lengthy complaint letter sent to the GM same time last year.
This year the new buildings were open and we were assigned a luxury ocean-front suite.The suite was large and well-furnished, clean and well-maintained ( it was new ).
However, the service throughout the hotel was generally surly and uncooperative. I have experienced this service shortfall in many hotels in the Caribbean...I call it the Caribbean " attitude ".
Eating breakfast, we were obliged to continually ask for table items...salt, pepper, napkin, teaspoon....in a 5 star hotel, need I go on ?
We didn't even bother to try dinner.....why be disappointed again ?
Beach service was as bad as last year..example....there were two Hobie Cats, neither was ever rigged unless someone asked ( all the other resorts along Grace Bay had there's rigged to go.
WORST OF ALL, my wife had a pearl necklace stolen from a bag in our room. Security has still not got back to me in the US as promised... 8 days after we left there ! ( we went to Parrot Cay before returning home..see my review ).

11  Thank roama
Reviewed December 8, 2006

Stayed 6 days and 5 nights in an ocean front Junior Suite with my wife. It was perfect. The service at the resort was excellent and I wish I could remember more names but Marvin, Nadiri, Christina, Julio, Chris to name a few all made us feel like any request we made would be granted without question. On one occasion in the lobby I mentioned to my wife the direction we would be walking to get to a restaurant. The desk clerk heard me, rushed over and said " you don't have to walk we will shuttle you there".Very nice. The room was super. Beach was stunning, and the on property restaurant Anacona was killer. Just beautiful and the food was good too.

It is expensive but we prepared ourselves for that. From a boat looking back to shore in our opinion it was the nicest looking property on Grace Bay Beach.

2 other restaurants within walking distance of Grace Bay Club are Coyaba and CoCo Bistro. Both are excellent.

I'm trying to come up with a negative but honestly I can't.

5  Thank TBas
Reviewed December 4, 2006

Just returned from a nice long weekend at the Grace Bay Club. It was a special family vacation and this was a great place for the 3 couples- easy to get to, just enough to do, and we had enough fun that the mediocre service was easily dismissed.

(Alas, but not for the TA review!)

We had booked a 3 bedroom villa and they upgraded us to the penthouse suite. I do not think this is normal, as my step-father has stayed before and the property knew it was my mom's birthday. A very nice gesture indeed.

With that said the accomodations were incredible. This was a beautiful 3 bedroom/ den/ living room/ 4 bath/ balcony/ jacuzzi suite. I doubt I will ever stay in this nice of a room again. Everything about it- from the awesome balcony, to the marble kitchen, to the beds, I thought was fantastic.

This was by far the best part of GCB. The service was lacking for a 4/5 star hotel. We waited 20 minutes at the airport for the shuttle, 15 minutes at the beach for chairs, 15 minutes to and from snorkeling at Coral Beach (?). We were rarely attended to on the beach which was very poorly raked and attended to- dirty glasses would last all day. (This was too bad since it is a beautiful property.) Friendly but inefficient and very slow service at lunch. (Literally taking 5 minutes to set a table in a near empty restaurant.) Lunch food was very poor in selection and quality.

Staff seemed to care if you were having fun and had smiles, but over-epitomized the island mentality, mon. There was a wedding at the hotel and the next morning there were plenty of traces of a party around the pool, etc... If we had plans to eat at the restaurant or didn't have our suite this would have bothered us.

On our last night they had lost our reservation at the hotel restaurant- Anacoana- and this rubbed people the wrong way since it was confirmed the day and the hour before! But as inefficient as the service was, they were quick w/ a free bottle of champagne, wine, etc... to keep us happy.

I understand that GBC is moving to more of a Villa type property and perhaps residents do not require service. But in the increasingly competitive world of T&C they need to run a much much tighter ship. I would certainly return to T&C but probably to a less expensive hotel on the same beach since I need to save my 5 star $$ for true 5 star properties.

All the best,

Chico

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank misterchico
Reviewed October 6, 2006

We stayed at the Grace Bay Club for 7 nights for our honeymoon in August 2006. Although we had a blast, we found many aspects of the hotel to be lacking and we would NOT recommend it.
The hotel itself is absolutely gorgeous. We stayed in a one room villa, on the second floor, with an ocean view. The suite was the nicest room we've ever stayed in - and we've stayed in some nice places. It had a bedroom with a king sized bed and plasma tv, a huge bath with a walk-in closet, jacuzzi tub, separate shower and dual sinks. The living room was large and had another plasma tv. It had a fully equiped kitchen with granite counters. And there was a second half bath with a full size washer and dryer.
The grounds were also lovely. The water was crystal blue and the sand was fine and soft. We lucked out with the weather - it was clear every day and hot enough that you wanted to be in the water but not sweltering. There was a nicely equiped business center with a computer with internet access and a full gym.
We knew before we went that part of the hotel was being renovated. We did see some evidence of work but nobody was really actively working, so it didn't interfere with our vacation at all. The resort was less than half full, so maybe other people were deterred by the renovations.
Our major complaint was the service which was downright crummy. The staff was unhelpful and often seemed annoyed to have to deal with the guests. They frequently got our orders wrong, probably because they never wrote anything down. There were often no towels to be found and when we asked someone, he acted surprised we would want towels and irritated that we would ask him. We had to ask multiple times for coffee with breakfast. Only once in 7 days did someone come by us at the pool and ask us if we wanted something. When we had food by the pool (after we finally tracked someone down to order it!), nobody ever came by to clear our plates. For this price point, the service should have been exceptional.
The only exception to the terrible service was a waitress from Austria - she was charming and friendly but unfortunately couldn't be everywhere at once!
The food was also below average. The menu was very limited, and heavy on the conch and jerk seasoning. The drinks were ridiculously expensive. We found a grocery store nearby and stocked our own alcohol and snacks.
Shortly after staying at the Grace Bay Club, we stayed at the Four Seasons in Kona, HI, and the contrast was remarkable. People could not have been nicer, more helpful or more service-oriented at the Four Seasons. We would NOT stay at the Grace Bay Club again. There are lots of better options in this price range.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple