“We had a nice time but...”
Review of Grace Bay Club

Grace Bay Club
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Upon arrival after an uneventful flight we were picked up with relative promptness and shared the van taxi with one other family, arriving around 2pm on a Monday. We were greeted by a man who would be one of two assigned concierge for us during our stay. He offered a property tour but we were ready to see the room, get changed and hit the beach so we declined the tour and he escorted us to our room. The room was D302, overlooking the main pool and bar area with a nice view of the beach and ocean. The room was clean and comfortable with a very nice mattress and nice sized patio. The bathroom was very modern and comfortable. My wife and I never had a problem with privacy as there were multiple fans, plenty of lighting, and the patio to rest on while we took turns getting cleaned up. The stand up shower was my favorite but there was also a nice deep Jacuzzi tub (more on that later). The mini fridge had a complimentary bottle of decent champagne and several bottles of water. There was also a tray of three ‘welcome apples’ as the greeter described them. I thought it was kind of funny that we were in the Caribbean at a fairly high end resort and we were given red apples instead of some other tropical fruit but I blew it off. The room was nice, the weather was beautiful, and the beach was calling my name.
We got unpacked and made our way to the pool bar for a cocktail to take to the beach. This would be my first glimpse into how outrageously expensive service was going to be. I suggest that if you like tropical cocktails get ready to pay out the nose. Beers were $7, wine in that neighborhood, but a rum punch or pina colada was $14 - $17 (not including 10% gratuity and local tax). Those prices did not include requesting premium label alcohol. On top of that the drinks were made very weak. Although I made friends with the night shift bartender in the days to come and started to get a slightly better made drink from him there was no real consistency. They would taste ok but if I’m paying the better part of $20 for one drink I would like to at least taste the rum.
That night we had our first dinner at the resort at their Grill. Maybe I was tired from the travel but the food was borderline at best. The fish dish I ordered was completely overcooked and I was only able to have a couple of bites before losing my appetite. The prices were again stunning. A properly cooked entrée for $25 would be one thing but the prices were over $30 and the food was not even close to par for that price range.
We began our first full day by taking breakfast at the only option for breakfast at Grace Bay Club. Breakfast there is complimentary, with all the standard buffet fare (eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, eggs Benedict, granola, yogurt, fruit, and cooked to order eggs for omelets, poached, ect.). They supposedly had a menu but I never saw it so we had cooked to order eggs and buffet the whole week. That initial breakfast was decent and the resort was relatively quiet so far. Later in the week it would get much busier as dozens of people were due to check in, but at this point it was quiet and peaceful. After breakfast we went to the beach where you are escorted to a set of chairs with an umbrella, given a couple of towels, and provided with a red flag on a pole to signal for service. The beach there is outstanding for those that want peaceful and enterable water. There were virtually no waves or current and the sand is very soft and not hot on the feet. One can walk out for 15 yards or more and still stand in the crystal clear turquoise water. There is not much in the way of coral or fish life to explore snorkeling. I heard that there is a good spot for that down the beach to the west a mile or so, called Coral Gardens, but we never made it there.
The days that followed brought more guests and as they began to check in the staff seemed to take care of the extra people well but I noticed that children were being allowed to take over the main pool and scream bloody murder during the day. This ruined my trying to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view one afternoon. I almost complained as it was really getting out of hand but eventually the parents took their screaming kids somewhere else and it calmed down. I will say that there are three pools and we were able to find reprieve from the poorly behaved children at the other pools that were on other parts of the property.
Tropical storm Emily was moving south of us mid week. The locals seem to get real twitchy when storms are close, which I can appreciate, but they overreacted and let it affect their service. We went to have breakfast on day three and ¾ of the dining area was closed off. There was no rain or rain coming but they had decided to play it safe and cover up all the tables that were not covered by the roof. Instead of having a nice view of the ocean we had a macro view of the buffet. I felt like I was ‘in’ the eggs and bacon and it was grossing my wife and I out with all the food smells mixing together, not to mention people streaming by you with their plates. There was no sight of rain with only overcast skies of cirrus clouds so we decided it was time to request to be moved. Unfortunately the staff was very stubborn and I had to insist with vigor that we were not happy and wanted a better seat. After being hassled with a few minutes of mumbling and push back they finally moved us. This may be the appropriate place to state that although being polite and easy going is our nature, we had to get insistent before the staff would begin to budge when we made requests that did not match their plan on how they wanted their guests to be organized. It was more about them than us and being polite and asking nicely was only met with stubbornness and complacency. But as soon as I let them know I was not happy and was not going to accept their push back on my requests they would become extra nice. This was annoying. I prefer to be treated with respect up front without having to get my hackles up and be forceful with my tone. Once I was forced to take that approach their change of tune was good but at that point it comes across as two faced. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do and as I observed other guests it was clear that if you were too nice and polite the staff would take advantage of that to make the situation fit their needs instead of the guest.
Our travel package included two dinners at the resort at their higher end restaurant called Anacoana. By the time we decided to take advantage of those dinners it was later in the week and the resort had begun to really fill up. I had to insist on our ability to be served since we got behind the curve on making reservations. The attitude was akin to ‘too bad so sad’ and our problem for not making a reservation. Our assigned concierge failed to reach out to us and give us a heads up about the need to make reservations. In fact he failed to call us back on two occasions when we first arrived and was really nonexistent unless we sought him out. His role seemed to be one more designed to greet than to really do much for you in a proactive manner when you are there. But that being said we did have two really nice meals. The Fois Gras was delicious, and their other dishes that we ordered on those two occasions were very nice with steak and fish cooked correctly. My favorite was the conch salad. I would call it conch ceviche but regardless it was very good. We also tried a dish during one lunch called Conch Three Ways at their restaurant Krave and it was very good too. The service at Anacoana compared to their breakfast and lunch service is night and day. The staff is totally different with almost no carry over between the two. If their breakfast and lunch staff was as solid as the dinner crew we would have felt better about things. At dinner there were no questions asked and you got what you asked for. Lunch and breakfast? Not so much. You had to insist on some of the simplest things, like water. Oh my God if there is one thing I want to let everyone know about it is the water issue at this resort. Be prepared to have to beg, borrow, and steal if you want more than 8oz of water when you are eating. I realize this is an island and water is at a premium but you have to pay for every drop once you drink the 1st two complimentary bottles in your room so if I’m paying for it why is it harder to track down than a one-eyed jackalope? Every time we needed a water refill we had to ask repeatedly and those request were often met with an attitude from the server as if you were asking for some rare spice from Mars. Given the rate we paid for the accommodations I found it extremely annoying the way they coveted serving water. Things finally came to a boil one afternoon and we had to get pretty tough with them about it. I hate to be that guy that gets demanding. But we had finally had it up to “here” with their silliness and decided enough was enough and be damned what they thought. We were hot, sunburned, spending a ton of money and having to twist arms to get a drink. And don’t think you are going to drink the water from the tap. Maybe if you are used to tap water at home you can choke it down but it is of such poor quality that when I filled the bath tub for my wife on the second night it was literally the color of rust. Needless to say we drained the tub and that was the end of her ambitions to have a relaxing bubble bath.
All in all my wife and I had a really nice time. We were able to connect and enjoy what we had come for. But we were definitely reminded of some important lessons. Even though we both have done a lot of travel and both lived in the Caribbean (her in Provo 6 years ago and me on Grand Cayman when I was a kid) we had to relearn some things about the locals and their style of service. Most of the staff was friendly and did a nice job of connecting with us and making us feel at home. But there were more than a few that had some pretty rotten attitudes and being nice and polite gets you nowhere with those types. You have to stand your ground and not back down or they will put you at their convenience. Grace Bay Club is doing a nice job overall but their prices for food and drinks are ridiculous. I know I would have been looser with the purse strings if the prices were not so outrageous and in the end would have spent more. But every time I signed a tab for $50 for three drinks it threw water on the fire for me to feel comfortable ordering what I want when I wanted it. Instead I spent a lot of time shaking my head in disbelief and trying to hold myself back from indulging when I felt the urge.
I cannot give much info on the activities. There was sailing, hobicats, boats pulling banana tubes, and even a high end powered catamaran giving tours. I heard that the helicopter ride was great but for $500 we took a rain check on that and the rest of the water born craft. Some folks talked about going into ‘town’ and partying with the locals but that’s not our style as we were looking for a more relaxing time than that, which we did get so in the end it was a success.
As an insider tip there is a grocery store within walking distance where you can buy food, beer, wine, rum, ect. The prices are much better relative to the resort but it’s still not cheap by any stretch. A case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was $75. Stick to the hard alcohol and wine if you want to stay closer to mainland prices.
My wife requested I mention that one of her highlights was having a yoga class on the beach with David Boen. She raved about that experience. Make sure to check your tab when you check out of the resort. Our vacation package had everything paid up front aside from food and drinks (not including our two dinners we paid up front for as well). When check out time came they handed us a bill that was $3200 when it should have been $700. I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt here and assume this was an honest mistake, but it was still a huge mistake and it concerns me that, once again, you have to be proactive as they made no effort to double check it prior to handing it to us. That being said we got it cleared up quickly and without a hassle so I guess no harm no foul on piece.
In closing I will say that getting off the island was a fiasco. The airport was so busy on Saturday afternoon there was literally nowhere to sit in the airport once you got past security. We had to stand there for two hours and even though two flights took off in that time frame more people were pouring in and it never cleared out to the point that there was even one seat.
Should you choose to go to Grace Bay Club you will enjoy your stay just don’t be surprised about water, service inconsistency, and outrageous prices for food and drink. The water and beach are the resort’s high points. The accommodations are comfortable and you will get a very nice dinner at Anacoana.

Room Tip: You will hear heavy healed walkers and people that like to have conversations in the hallways.
10  Thank Ty G
GMGraceBayClub, General Manager at Grace Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to relay your thoughts on your recent visit at Grace Bay Club. We are very happy that you overall enjoyed your stay with us.

I completely agree with you that food and beverage cost is high. As you lived in Providenciales six years ago you can appreciate that the cost of everything here has always been higher than other destinations. We operate on an Island where everything is imported and importation duties have recently increased thereby creating an increase in food cost at every restaurant on Providenciales. Our prices are not higher than any other restaurant on Providenciales; in fact in some cases our prices are lower than those of our competitors.

Your comments on the service issues you experienced have been forwarded to the appropriate managers and staff for review and action. I can assure you that what you experienced was the exception and not the rule, as you can see in other Trip Advisor comments, we always strive for the best. Our service goals are to anticipate guest needs and to be responsive to those needs on a timely basis.

Thoughtful feedback is a gift and we thank you for your input. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Grace Bay Club very soon.

Warm regards,

Thierry Grandsire

There are newer reviews for Grace Bay Club

Reviewed August 7, 2011

I am writing this review because my wife and I consider the Grace Bay Club to be the best hotel in Provo in terms of beautiful landscaping, elegant rooms and location and this is why we have celebrated our anniversary here for the last 4 years. Unfortunately the service offered by the staff is less than satisfactory. On this visit, we stayed at a Junior Suite at the Estate and did not have hot water for the first two days of our stay although we informed our Personal Concierge and Concierge Desk several times that we needed someone to come by our room to get this fixed. In addition, housekeeping forgot to make our room on the second day of our stay even though we informed the Concierge Desk twice that the room had not been made. Overall we felt completely ignored by our Personal Concierge who we called to make a dinner reservation and never called us back so we had to call the restaurant to make the reservation ourselves. We truly love the Grace Bay Club and would like to see an improvement in Service so that we can celebrate many more anniversaries here. Our suggestion for improvement would be to have a Service Manager on the premises at all times ensuring that the staff consistently caters to all guest requests in a timely fashion. It seems that there are many Indians and no Chiefs currently.

3  Thank RobaloR260

Thank you for taking the time to relay your disappointment with your recent visit to Grace Bay Club. Every guest’s experience is important to us as we strive for the finest in service and facilities. Unfortunately, during your stay, we apparently fell short of our goals and your expectations. For this I apologize.

Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate managers and staff for review and action. I can assure you that what you experienced was the exception and not the rule, as you can see in other TripAdvisor comments, we always strive for the best. Our service goals are to anticipate guest needs and to be responsive to those needs on a timely basis.

I know that you spoke directly with Prasad Sakaran, our Guest Services Director after you posted your review on TripAdvisor, and he is readily available to handle any guest related matters.

Warm regards,

Thierry Grandsire

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Just returned from four nights at Grace Bay Club with my fiance. I have to say this was he most relaxing vacation that we have ever had. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by our concierge, Marvin, who gave us a quick tour and showed us to our toom. We stayed in a suite in the villas and were totally content with that. Ater putting down our bags we proceeded to have lunch at The Grill where i had some amazing shrimp tacos and my fiance had the island jerk chicken which he also enjoyed. We never ate at Anacaona but did enjoy a few drinks at their infinity bar which has a few fire pits and is a nice way to end an evening.

The staff delivers great service and are there to provide you with anything and everything you need. They set up beach chairs for you and assist you in setting up any activites or water sports that you would like to participate it. We took part in the Island Vibes half day snorkeling tour which was a lot of fun and they picked us up right on the beach by the hotel.

Grace bay club is all about their fabulous beach and relaxation! Although there were several children staying at the property they were all well behaved and never got in the way of us taking an afternoon nap on the beach or by the pool.

We enjoyed several days of great rum punch and swimming on their tranquil beach and everything was great until our last day there. There was a leak in our bathroom that we didnt even notice until our last morning there we woke up to our bathroom and room being almost completely flooded!!! My ipod happened to be charging on an outlet in the bathroom and was ruined, however the staff handled the situation very well. Housekepping immediately came over and proceeded to clean up everything and the manager even provided us with a future two night stay in a one bedroom suite as a reimbursement for my ipod.

Overall we had a great experience and wont hesistate to return to Grace Bay Club in the future. We recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a beautiful beach and an attentive staff!

Reviewed August 4, 2011

We choose Grace Bay Club after much research. We were looking for top-notch service/accommodations but without the pretension and/or attitude that comes with 5-star locations. We found it at GBC. The rooms (condos, actually) are very well-appointed. The kitchens are well-equipped. The bathrooms are spacious and well-designed. The views are spectacular. They are also relatively quiet, certainly compared to hotel rooms. The grounds of the property were also very well kept and beautiful, though the beach areas in front of the property did need a little more tidying up at times. But they were still beautiful. The resort itself flows with easy elegance.

As to the service, we had nearly universal good experiences. We were very pleased with the front desk staff, as they were always attentive (especially Rochelle). Our personal concierges, Marvin and Vernon, were pleasant, attentive, and helpful. They came and found us every day, spoke personally to us and our children and were always a delight. The housekeeping staff were warm and helpful as well. The restaurant/bar staff were generally very friendly and attentive, especially for the Caribbean (we LOVED Pauline). At times, the Grill Rouge gets a bit crowded during breakfast and service is lacking a bit. But nothing that was unreasonable. The food was very tasty on the whole, even the breakfast buffet (of which I am generally not a fan).

Only a few small notes: the snorkeling equipment was rarely available or was broken or incomplete. Granted it is free, but for a first-class resort, they could do better. The beach attendants were they only group that we felt had a mixed level of customer service responses (Christopher being the notable exception). The service was not bad, just a bit nonchalant and slow at times. Also, for some reason, their system is set up whereby you have to sign a ticket EVERY time you get a drink on the beach. This seems a big waste of time and slightly irritating, though it may just be because the resort is on a public beach and the resort doesn't want to get stiffed. Also, we stayed for 11 days and after about 5 days, the breakfast buffet got a bit old. They could improve it a bit by changing up the offerings occasionally. Finally, the 'family' pool in the Villas area, while gorgeous, isn't what I would call family-oriented. Our kids loved it, but it isn't really a design that is conducive to families (at least those with small children).

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My wife and I traveled here for our honeymoon and were treated wonderfully upon arrival. Refreshing handtowels and drinks were offered to us, and we really felt we had arrived somewhere special. The room we were offered was nice and had a gorgeous view of Provo's incomparable beach and water. On our second day we were even upgraded from our one bedroom villa to the adults-only hotel nextdoor with two bedrooms, three verandas, a full kitchen, living room, etc. The hotel is a bit dated, but gracious and comfortable. Again - the views of the water are captivating.

All in all it was a wonderful honeymoon experience. The local restaurants and nightlife were just what we asked for. Still, there was something lacking in the service that we couldn't explain, given the price we were paying. Finally we just chalked it up to island culture and went about the business of honeymooning. Not all of our fellow travelers were as patient, and we overheard a number of complaints. Some of those folks appeared to be the sort of annoying traveler that will just never be pleased.

I think if we go back to Turks and Caicos we will not stay there, but only because this was a special vacation and we would likely choose a hotel at 1/3 the cost and be just as happy enjoying those views with a few more dollars in our pockets.

Room Tip: Use your Amex Platinum for the upgrade
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 1VirginiaTraveler
Reviewed August 3, 2011

we researched many of the wonderful hotels on grace bay. we decided to stay at the grace bay club after speaking with several people who have vacationed on turks and caicos. we cannot wait to go back. we were greeted at the reception desk by our names, offered drinks and a cold towel. we were given a tour of the property by our personal concierge and were provided with a cell phone to reach our concierge whenever we needed him. for those of you who need to keep in touch with family back home, the hotel offers free phone calls to anywhere in the world from the room.

the restaurant food was very good and the service was outstanding. we sat outside, underneath the stars and listened to the music from the live band every night. there is a nice "scene" at the hotel so we had fun people watching while we ate dinner.

the spa facility is small but great. it was recently upgraded and the massages were amazing. the fitness center is crazy. they had at least ten treadmills and tons of other equipment.

the beach is soft and the water was quite inviting. there were no jelly fish or seaweed to pollute the beach. i went running every morning.

this was a great place to retreat, especially if you are looking for a great three or four night getaway. i cannot wait to go back. i highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We (me, my wife and three girls, 18, 15 and 10) stayed at the Grace Bay Club from July 7-13 and it was truly terrific. My wife and I commented that we had never been waited on so extensively. First, the room was excellent. We had a two bedroom suite which was large and had a great view. Vernon and Marvin were our concierges and they were friendly, accomodating and a pleasure to work with. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary the day we arrived and the staff put rose petals all around our bedroom and on our bed, and they also left us a bottle of champagne. At the end of the week we asked to celebrate our youngest daughter's birthday and they provided us with a cake that was outstanding. The beach and pool were terrific. Ther service at both was excellent. We didn't have any concerns about getting chairs at the pool like we did at some other resorts. My kids love the swim up bar and so did I. Drinks were very expensive, but that is to be expected. Breakfast was great. We were ordering omelettes every morning and by the time we were there for a few days they had our order memorized. Our day was basically breakfast, beach/pool, shower, dinner. One nice thing they do here is they put out small sandwiches and cookies at 3 PM which was just right to tide us over to dinner. Very relaxing and its amazing how the time flew by. We did do a Conch Tour which is a great activity and well worth the time. They took us snorkeling and then to a beach where we saw a shark and a sting ray. Pretty cool. The Grace Bay Club is very centrally located. You can walk to shopping and the grocery store. When we did take taxis they were expensive so its nice to be able to walk. Overall the staff was extremely friendly, very helpful and really go out of their way to make sure you are happy. We did go out to eat every night and all the restaurants were very good. Lemon (mediterranean food) was our favorite, although Coco Bistro, Coyaba, Anacaona (which is at the Grace Bay Club) were also excellent. We did one low key night at Pizza Pizza which had good pizza. Magnolia had a nice view and had a nice atmosphere on a roof top but the food didn't "wow" us. It was good, but not great like all the others were. Anacaona also has a nice setting right on the beach. Coco Bistro, Coyaba, Pizza Pizza were walking distance from the resort. Finally, we met so many friendly people there. Honeymooners, couples and families with children.

Room Tip: It was a good time for us to go to the Grace Bay Club. Every 3rd night was free.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family