“An evening with friends and sunset”
Review of Sun Charters

Sun Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: The S/V ATABEYRA is a 69', traditionally rigged trading schooner that retired from cargo service almost 20 years ago. The vessel traded for years between Hispaniola and the Turks & Caicos Islands carrying such commodities as rum , beer, produce, plants, building materials and even a few critters. The ship has been refit as a charter vessel and now stays close to home in the sheltered waters of Grace Bay and the Caicos Cays of Turks and Caicos Islands. The S/V ATABEYRA is the perfect platform for learning hands on operation of traditional sailing craft, for exploring the exquisite undersea world and many islands that surround us or just lounging on her spacious, shaded decks. No vessel in the TCI charter fleet is as large or as versatile. Sun Charters and the ATABEYRA crew offer our guests a unique opportunity to get real sailing experience aboard the last of the tropical trading schooners. Being a gaff-rigged vessel carrying two headsails, there are lots of lines to pull, many sails to tend, and the skipper will even be happy to let you take the helm. Feel the past come alive as we sail through the uninhabited chain of Caicos Cays the same way it was done hundreds of years ago. The Cays were once the lair of the infamous lady pirates Anne Bonny and Mary Reid, and the waters and surrounding islands remain basically untouched since that time. The Crew of the Good Ship Atabeyra are proud that she is overwhelmingly the boat the residents choose when recreating in the Caicos Cays.
Tempe, Arizona, United States
“An evening with friends and sunset”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My family and friends enjoyed a wonderful evening and sunset aboard after my brother's wedding. The food and "happy juice" never stopped. It was by far the best time we had in Provo next to diving.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“My favorite day on Provo!”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My friends and I had a fantastic time aboard the Atabeyra. The views are spectacular, the boat is beautiful and comfortable, and the crew more than accomodating. Junior kept the rum punch flowing and Captain Tibby had answers for all our questions. We explored an old shipwreck, jumped off the ship, and snorkeled around Long Bay, definitely the most beautiful beach I saw on Provo. If you're looking for a laid back, fun day surrounded by sunshine and clear blue water, consider Sun Charters. Highly recommended for groups, couples, and families.

1 Thank Cecilia L
New York City, New York
“An incredible trip!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was by far the most amazing trip throughout my stay in Provo! The crew was wonderful and the destinations were breathtaking. They were very accommodating and made the entire ride fun and relaxing. This is definitely a one of a kind experience. The boat is more beautiful and spacious then any the snorkeling trips I have been on in the past. The rum punch was also a plus.

I highly recommend a trip on the Atabeyra to everyone including families, couples, and friends visiting Turks and Caicos. My friends and I had a blast with everyone on board and were happy to share the experience. Hope to see the Captain and Junior in the near future!

Calgary, Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“A nice trip”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went on the 1/2 day sailing excursion, which was to go to the reef for snorkeling and then up the cays for shelling for $85. The stops were changed due to weather and current conditions, so we went to the La Famille shipwreck and Emerald Point on the northeast end of Grace Bay instead. The wreck was amazing to see, and we could climb up and explore, and some folks jumped off the wreck into the water. There were some fish around the wreck as well when snorkeling. I would caution jumping off the wreck, as most of the jumpers mentioned touching bottom when landing. Emerald Point was a nice beach for small shells or white washed conch shells, but you can drive to the beach access from Leeward for free. The captain and crew were very friendly, had some good stories, and kept the rum punch flowing. Chips and salsa were also freely available. There were two teenagers on the boat who seemed to be having a great time. My only issue was that the itinerary changes weren't communicated, so we had to ask where we were and where we were going. But it was a very chill way to spend an afternoon. Also, lots of sun on the boat for the tanners, and lots of shade for the non-tanners.

2 Thank spike256
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Wedding Ceremony”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My Wife and I booked Sun Charters for our wedding ceremony and it was spectacular. We had 16 people and took the boat out to the Cays to hop off and get married. The staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to make it a relaxing and fun time on the boat. I would recommend this to any other couples looking for a fun, carefree experience for your special day!