“Amazing intimate hidden gem”

Gansevoort Turks + Caicos
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
“Amazing intimate hidden gem”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

I was skeptical given some of the scathing previous reviews. The service at the hotel and island in general has been incredible. Best of any of the islands we have visited. Easy and safe to explore beyond the hotel. Spa needs some reconfiguring but had an amazing outdoor garden and outdoor shower. They don't play that up enough. I am In the hotel business and have a critical eye. They have ironed out any previous issues. The restaurant menu is ok but you can explore beyond the hotel. We have eaten lunch and dinner off site and it has been fantastic. Sand is soft like clay they clean it every day. They don't nickel and dime. Wifi, business center, breakfast (awesome), all water sports (non motor) fully included. Bar makes a great mojito (I am a mojito snob). We will be back.

• Stayed January 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
toronto
Reviewed January 14, 2011

my fiance and I went to the Gansevoort T&C in mid-August for our honeymoon. We had just gotten married and were also moving across the country, so needed some serious R&R!!

The hotel and pool was beautiful. We had a 1BR ocean view suite. To be honest, it was even better than the pictures on their website! The beach was incredible...

The hotel staff were excellent, they were extremely helpful and friendly. We were in a rush on our last day, and they actually offered to return our rental car for us, and the GM personally offered to drive us to the airport so we didn't need to wait for a taxi!!

The Bagatelle Bistro (on site) was one of the best meals we had on our trip (get the Filet Mignon!!). Coco Bistro, and Magnolia were some of our other favorites.

We had some reservations about going in August due to weather, but had absolutely no issues. Other than a few very brief rainshowers, it was sunshine all day long.

We would without a doubt stay there again the next time we go to T&C

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2011

My trip at the Gansevoort was relaxing and a little taste of paradise, to say the least. This review will be a little long and detailed, but I hope it's useful.

Upon my arrival at the hotel, I was warmly greeted with a refreshing welcome drink and escorted to my suite personally by Janine (who also kindly proffered my luggage), one of the lovely management staff. She explained to me the amenities of the hotel and how the hotel prides itself on being green - for example, when the doors to the terrace are opened, the air conditioning unit automatically shuts off, and the only way to activate the electrical outlets and switches in the room is to place your keycard in a slot (when you remove the keycard, all electricity in the room - save for the air conditioning - shuts off).

About half an hour after my arrival, I received a phone call from management offering to bring me a bottle of complimentary wine - it was a delicious red Chilean wine (Montes Alpha) - with a greeting card from Grant Friedman, the general manager.

One thing that I really noticed was that the service at the Gansevoort was prompt, gracious, and friendly. The staff seemed very eager and enthusiastic. Most importantly, when I talked to the management, they impressed upon me that they take the criticisms of the trip reviewers on this website seriously; they are willing to learn to make their hotel better. Based on some of the reviews on this website critical of the hotel's service, I can say that the service has improved drastically and is almost impeccable.

The management try really hard to smoothe things over when things went wrong (however, mistakes were rare) and when you needed help. For example, leaving the hotel, one of the managers accidentally put me onto a taxi instead of a prepaid airport shuttle. However, when I found out the mistake and explained it to the taxi driver, the manager offered for the hotel to pay the taxi cab instead of me having to pay for it. Also, when I accidentally broke a wine glass in my room, I called the front desk and spoke to Janine, who sent someone from housekeeping. Within minutes, they arrived and cleared the glass. Janine then phoned back a few minutes later to make sure that the glass had been cleared. Now, this is good service.

I had a beachfront suite with a terrace overlooking the beach and the waters of Grace Bay. The room was clean and well-maintained, and the view from the terrace was simply stunning. In general, the housekeeping staff were great - the rooms were kept extremely clean (the floors in the rooms were impeccable, and the staff even did the dirty dishes in the sink, folded my clothes neatly and arranged my books and magazines), they responded to requests really quickly and graciously (e.g. for extra blankets), and turndown service was thoughtful as well (low lighting, drawn curtains, and any additional cleaning). One suggestion for housekeeping is to clean the terrace's floor regularly - there was a dead, squished bug sitting squarely on the floor of the terrace for several days (and was still sitting there when I left) - and to ensure every morning that the areas in front of the doors are clear of dirt (I had a small hairball in front of my door for half a day).

The one quibble that I have about the room is with the shower with the Kohler rain system, which is very pretty but: 1) for some reason, while its drains were clear and drained properly, a tiny pool of water (3-4 milliliters high) didn't drain right away and thus collected at my feet (I think it's due to a dent in the shower floor, but not sure), making for a slightly uncomfortable shower experience that required me to use shower shoes; and 2) because there's a glass wall but no door to the shower, the water the shower would spray ever so slightly onto a tiny patch of the floor of the bathroom. Other than these quibbles, the room was comfortable, plush and just as stunning as in the photos on the hotel's website.

The hotel was busy but not packed. I spent most of my time on the beach and at the pool, both of which are beautiful. The beach and pool staff were great - friendly and helpful. if you ask them for something, they will try their best to give it to you (extra towels, moving the parasol for more shade, setting up an extra set of chairs and parasol on the beach) and you never felt like they were asking for tips (which is why you feel like tipping them!). The drinks brought to the beach were great (try a Sand Dune) and the wait staff were wonderful. They would also periodically come around to the beach and the pool with little samples of drinks. The beach staff also gave me tips about snorkeling - where to snorkel, and what not to wear when snorkeling (e.g. wearing anything metallic - like metallic stud earrings - when snorkeling at the nearby coral reef attracts barracuda and reef sharks).

Room Service was also prompt - the food was delivered within the time frame they gave me (usually 15-25 minutes). When I left voicemail orders for dinner, moments later they would return my phone call confirming my order. The food from Room Service and at Bagatelle Bistro (the sit-down restaurant) was also delicious - I often dine at 5-star restaurants and I would put the food up there with the best of them. I highly recommend the filet mignon, mahi mahi, and the key lime pie. When eating from room service, the dishes were cleared in the morning by (presumably) housekeeping, which was fine for me. However, once, room service phoned me to ask if I wanted my dishes cleared that same night; I suggest that this should be the normal practice.

The American breakfast buffet was delicious as well - fresh scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, yogurt, breads, made-to-order omelettes, and fresh watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, bananas and pineapple. Two tiny suggestions I have for the breakfast staff: 1) offer all the people coming in for breakfast a copy of their New York Times digest, because some days it was offered to me and some days I had to ask for it; and 2) ensure that all tables where people are sitting have salt and pepper shakers, because this wasn't always the case. However, the breakfast staff, in general, was fantastic and attentive - even though it's a buffet so service isn't usually seen as key, they would periodically come by and ask if everything was to my liking and took away dishes promptly.

A few criticisms about the menu at the hotel: 1) there aren't many vegetarian or vegan options; and 2) since the menu is limited and there is only one restaurant at the resort, I was driven to try restaurants outside the hotel (I highly recommend Lemon and Coco Bistro). I didn't mind this because I was prepared to spend the money, but this may be annoying to some people who prefer to stay on the resort and who do not want to spend additional money on taxi rides (including tips, it was $27 USD for each round trip to the restaurants).

In general, it was extremely quiet at the hotel, save for Friday nights, where there is a loud party until around 12:30 a.m. The music was so loud that I could clearly hear lyrics and everything through my door. I didn't mind it, but I'm sure some guests wanted an early night! I suggest that the hotel should inform people of the party in the Guestbook or via another way (letter or notice) so that they know they can attend, that the parties exist and how late the parties run, and provide complimentary ear plugs ensuite (a subtle, considerate gesture to those who do not wish to attend and who want to get some sleep).

Overall, it's an excellent, trendy, beautiful and young hotel with very minor issues that will likely be dealt with by the time I return (I plan to go back, for sure, and when I do I will write another review) because its gracious and eager staff is receptive to change and suggestions.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Nicola_Six
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We came away with a possitve experience with the Gansevoort. The beach was amazing and the rooms were very impressive. Nice views and great place to relax. Our only complaint was the service is just not quite there for this level of resort. Several of the staff at the front desk, in person and over the phone, were less than helpful. Overall......We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tool454
Sun Lakes, Arizona
Reviewed January 2, 2011

The Gansevoort is one of the newest properties on Grace Bay and certainly lives up to the international reputation it has received. The ocean views are spectacular, as is the beach itself. In addition to the large deck, the furniture was comfortable and offered great dining ability.

We were at the Gansevoort with a friend. I checked out her room in another building and it was just as lovely.

When you enter your condo unit, it is appointed with the very best amenities available. The opulence is evident, even though understated. Bagatelle Bistro offers an welcoming buffet every morning and 5 star dining in the evening.

The pool is inviting and well cared for as the beach. They have many complimentary activities, like the boats on the beach and rafts for the pool.

The hotel service staff is well-trained and makes every effort to be accommodating. The General Manager is not beyond straightening a towel, or picking up a paper himself and leads by setting an example. His staff appear to like him as during our three night stay, they sang his praises.

I experienced two services at the Exhale Spa and they were as good as any. They were customized to my needs. Even though this is not a spa destination, they have Exhale and it is among the best. As a frequent spa goer, this rates high. My friend also had a facial that made a huge difference in her complexation. Severe sun damage seemed to be cleared. It was amazing.

Every aspect of this resort rates high with my husband, my friend and myself. We all would look forward to a return visit and recommend it to anyone.

This is a luxury property that provides luxurious experiences. My personal feeling is it compares highly to any property in the same price range.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mdhill
toronto
Reviewed January 1, 2011

All the staff at the hotel were so accomodating. Especially Mike around the pool area. Mike was so helpful to us everyday and made sure we were relaxed without having to worry about anything. It was a great family holiday.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
nashville
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Just returned from Gansevoort T&C and had a fabulous time! So, was surprised to see a critical response (see below) covering the same time period. I could not disagree more.
First, it is quite inappropriate to even suggest that insect bites from the beach (which are rampant throughout the caribbean) might have been from bed bugs. In addition, this resort shares nothing in common with the marriot hotels and I'm baffled as to how an experienced traveller could suggest as such.
So lets try this again, this is a beautiful resort, the hotel has a slique and attractive architecture with a beautiful pool, comfortable pool and beach chairs, and impressive rooms. Oh those other fancy resorts - been there too. And yes Cap Jaluca, Eden rock, etc. are also beautiful. This resort offers some features, however, that some folks might find superior to those other wonderful caribbean resorts. For example, the rooms here are very quiet - the walls are thick as are the doors. My wife could not hear me yell at my daughter in the adjacent room (she hadn't finished her college essay) and i was quite loud. In addition, we never heard people above or below us.
The beach is spectacular at this stretch of Grace Bay. It is very quiet with no overflowing beach crowds, the beach is wide, sandy, the water is beautiful, though a bit rough this time of the year. there is plenty of room for chairs, umbrellas, volleyball, etc
In what way is it better than those other "5-star resorts", well for New Yorkers, it is under three hour direct flight and a short 20 minute cab ride from the airport. Its U.S. currency, free wifi, and lots of TV channels from the U.S. - Hard to beat that. The people working at the hotel are extremely friendly and helpful - they are very attentive and will pretty much do whatever you ask, and with a smile. They quickly learn your name and look out for the needs of your family. Hot tub broke one day, by the next morning it was fixed, cleaned, and refilled before most of the other guests had woken-up. This level of service is very hard to find anywhere in the caribbean!
The complimentary breakfast covers all the main food groups including the important ones like bacon, sausage, french toast, pancakes, and eggs - ok, it also included fresh fruit, granola, and yogurt for the more inspired.
So the pool is great, beach is beautiful, service wonderful, rooms have comfortable furniture and really nice beds, are there any deficiencies? First, it would be nice if smokers would be more considerate of their offensive habit and move away from non-smokers at the pool or the outdoor cafe. Second, since this resort is on the western portion of Grace Bay, and the majority of restaurants are clustered on the eastern portion of the beach, several miles away, you must take a taxi every time you go out for dinner. The taxi drivers are friendly enough, but are too expensive. i paid between 60 and 70 dollars round trip every night to go out and eat (party of five). The longest taxi trip was 10 minutes. The hotel must either provide a luxury car to escort guests or a shuttle between hotels or they must negotiate fairer rates for the taxis that service their hotel.
In conclusion, i did meet lots of wonderful families during our stay, younger ones with newborns, older ones with young adult children (similar to us) and some older folks - pretty much everyone seemed to be enjoying their stay at this resort. The island is indeed flat and boring and unless you enjoy fishing or diving, there is nothing to do but lay on the beach, turn on the ipod, and read about some mysterious tattooed Swedish girl halfway around the world. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family