“Perfect Long Weekend Getaway”

Gansevoort Turks + Caicos
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed January 20, 2010

Overall: A perfect long weekend getaway if you are from the east coast.

Pluses: We flew down from NYC on the AA direct flight and it was 3 hours and very easy. The hotel had a car waiting for us. The hotel is very chic, with well appointed rooms (comfy beds, good linens, nice products, kitchenette). Most rooms have excellent views of the beach. Beach itself was pristine, white sand, torquoise waters, lovely. They had a choice of amazingly comfy two person beds or loungers with umbrellas. Food was good for the caribbean. Lunch was A+. Dinner was B- but it was all good. Great yoga/core fusion classes in an outside pavillion overlooking the water - fabulous instructors. Good snorkeling right by the hotel just down the beach. Nice breakfast buffet (comped)

Minuses: The only thing about the rooms was that the bathroom was part of the actual room which was pretty but not functional for a couple. The shower stall leaked into the room. There was one lady at the front desk who was very rude and did not care about good service but Jean Francois, who I think is the front desk manager was lovely. Finally, the spa is overpriced. $330 for a 90 min massage. Not worth it. Was nothing special.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ParkStreetTraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (1,932)

Reviewed January 14, 2010

The condo rooms are all beautifully appointed, brand new , and all have ocean views. We are a family of 4 with 2 young children (3 and ) so we booked a 2 bedroom for the xmas to new years week. The price was steep but that comes with the time period so I won't complain about that. The grounds, pool, and beach are all beautiful and the servers (beach staff, pool boys, and pool waitress's) were all great and very attentive. Although the hotel was at full capacity there was never a fight for a lounge chair or beach umbrell,etc. They really designed it well to appear as if it is never crowded which helps create that relaxing feel. The Exhale spa and core fusion excercise class's that they offer are both top notch and worth experiencing if you haven't before. The hotel is located at the far west end of Grace Bay beach so there aren't a lot of hotels around it and the ones that are are all low rises so you really feel that your on a caribbean island not an overdeveloped extention of Florida. The island itself is arid and desert-like, not tropical or plush so we didnt really sightsee so much but rather walked the gorgeous beach. There are 2 things I would complain about though - the first is the Bagatelle restaurant. The service is slow, and I mean beyond "island" slow and they are still working out the kinks for dinner. The food that is served poolside, beachside, and from the beacg grill are all very good and fresh....unfortunately when you sit in the restaurant something bad happens. My other complaint is they really did oversell the "child friendly" pitch. There is no kid's club as they stated there was and the pool doesn't have a shallow end. Lastly, the one real annoyance of the island arevthe cab fares - there is no set formula and the prices are literally made up each trip and change every ride. To go anywhere one way is at the very least 20 dollars and usually more then that no matter if you are going down the street. The governmentneeds to address this because it leaves you feeling ripped off and taken advantaged of. One of 2 things will eventually happen as well.....people won't go back to the island because of it or next time they will rent a car....either way the cabbies are sealing their own fate. Overall, everyone at the hotel was very friendly, always smiling, and looking to help if their was a problem, that includes the general manager, Grant - the concerige, Jean Francois - and even the owner of the resort.
I loved the beaches and will certainly come back because of its 3hr 15 miinute direct flight from NYC and I will come here again but I think next time I visit the island I will try another place like the Regent Grand (which I heard good things about) and see what a few other places may be like. This hotel is great for couples and families with kids a little bit older.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2010

A little piece of heaven, tucked away for privacy and family fun. Beautiful beach, sparkling pool, and great restaurant all in one place. You can't go wrong if you book a stay at this luxury hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2010

We chose the Gansevoort as it looked new fresh and modern. We have stayed at Grace Bay before which was nice but not as modern. Liked the pool, but not enough beds for peak season. Loved the beach and all the staff, could'nt be more helpful. Breakfast was a real let down, continental buffet was not very good, poor selection, especially of baked breads, there were hardly any servers at breakfast so if like us you wanted a cappuccino you had to wait at least 10 mins so breakfast was very disjointed. Xmas Day night it rained and chaos reigned, we waited 1 1/2 hours for our main course, others who came later waited 2 hours and more!. My kids remarked on the lack of Xmas decorations as every other hotel and restaurant on the island had decorations, trees etc. Have been to plenty of arab countries at Xmas who had beautiful decorations!!! Maybe too much political correctness. On Xmas Day the Beach Restaurant :Bar was closed at lunch for a private party!!!! Not a good move by the hotel management, lots of unhappy guests. Would like to mention Jevon on the beach, Lewis in Reception as well as all the pool boys and beach boys who were endlessly happy and helpful. The rooms were lovely could'nt fault them, great bathrooms and well set out. I think the hotel will be great once it finds its feet, but next time we will try Parrot Cay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed for four nights. I reasearched carefully and it came down between Parrot Cay and this. We opted for G, and we had a nice time. They have sent a car for us at the airport, which was convinient, and our check in went smoothly. This was a getaway ad get some sleep and sun time for us...we wanted to indulge in some luxury.

The room was sunny and nice, clean, with good bathroom and really nice terrace - no jaccuzi or anything like that on the terrace... there was a coffe machine and a fairly good coffee for us to make twice a day. The room really had everything we needed, plates, glasses, towels...

The whole resort is smallish, swimming pool is nice, but I would not have minded if it were a little bigger and if it were to give us some more privacy - in any case we are more of the ocean people anyway, and beach was really great. The staff is awesome at the beach, if you sail, they will get your hobby cats, they willl get you towels, seats, drinks - all great. I prefer to go to the beach with least possible on me, so carrying a wallet was not something we did all the time, we swam and sailed and read books...I did have a feeling that tips are overrated, and that you will get a different treatment if you don't tip immediately. The guy who welcomed us at the airport said : "You can tip me or teh driver or both!" and I just felt it was akward. My husband and I have no problems tiping 20% for an excellent service ever, but this was like ok I tip you for saying hi to me and holding a sign G resort! You want to relax, and not be on the watch on you need to tip every second.
The restaurant was ok. We have paid 80 $ for a salad, burger, beer and a coctail for a lunch shortly after we arrived. Pricey and they were honestly nothing spectacular. We eat out a lot, and I am very much into top restaurants in NYC, so that was just mediocre. Dinner was better: tuna tartare was great, and fish ( both grouper and mahimahi) were good, make sure that you get a sauce on the side. You will bleed easily 200$ for anice dinner. We did wantto eat at other places as well, and I can highly reccomend Somewhere bar just right to this resort on the beach, their drinks are BETTER and cheaper ( especially before 7 pm, since it is happy hour) and staff is really friendly and much nicer that at G, much less in your face, and much more about fun and joy. It was a great walk, you could lay on the beach, watch the stars falling and be romantic...We enjoyed it - when we asked a guy from G bar at the beach he said: well if you want to go there, fine, it is over there - but he said it in a pissed way, as if we were not supposed to go there...I really did not like that. Be nice, be helpful, if your guest would liek to explore, teher should not be anything wrong with that. We also ended up going for a dinner at the famous restaurant at Grace Bay resort whose name escapes me right now, and it was really not worth going there, food was actually not gourmet but awfull. We did catch a cab to go to grocery store, that you can also walk to - get some fruit and different water...some snacks we craved that restaurant did not have.
Breakfast was ok, but nothing really special. Fruit was different in quality morning to morning, some watermelon, melon, pineapple - that was it. Bread, muffins, ok cerals, some yoghurt. You serve yourself basically. Eggs benedict I ordered once as addiotion were not that great...
the biggest dissapointment was that my husband wanted to go diving, nad we called a front desk to see how to arrange it. They reccomended someone to call us back, he told my husband that the dive would be 290$ per tank ( 40 mins) plus 180$rental. My husband is experience diver and wanted to check the other services. He called the island's best diving group where they did rental and 2 tanks for 150$, they came to pick him up and drop him off. He was super happy with professional treatment and loved the dive. Tip was needless to say great fro those guys, but my husband really felt cheated on by the staff...
I had a massage at the spa, was good. Wanted to have mani/pedi, facial - but you have to book in advance. Spa does not look like 5 stars, I expected something a bit more special.
So, in summary it was fine, but my expectations reading other reviews were a bit higher.Would I go back? Maybe.

Reviewed December 27, 2009

Of the many places we have visited in the Carribbean, Grace Bay will rank among the very top. It was a source of endless beauty during our stay.

The Gonsevoort was a terrific hotel in every way--beautiful, cool design--rooms were very spacious with wonderful layout and view. All of the hotel staff was very helpful and welcoming, but two staff members--Jevon and Bensley--should receive special recognition as wonderful ambassadors for the hotel. They went out of their way to make our stay special.

Another feature that made the Gansevoort an exceptional standout property was the exercise classes. Mary Lou's Core Fusion and Rebecca's Yoga classes were excellent, and we took advantage of them every day. Both were inspired teachers. It is no wonder that their classes attracted a lot of locals in addition to hotel guests. The exercise facilities and these classes are a wonderful asset for the hotel.

Only disappointment was the continental breakfast--very mediocre, and it felt out of place, especially since the restaurant was great for dinner. A bit of imagination and variety is needed here. Also, it would be nice if the hotel operated a shuttle service to local services, e.g., grocery store, restaurants, etc., since taxis on the island are overpriced.

Reviewed December 22, 2009

This resort is new as of March this year and they have it all together. Entire staff are pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable. The architectual desgin is beautiful - a modern warm twist. Driinks and food were very good - enjoyed beach service. Beach area is great for those who enjoy swimming and walking - snorkeling park 5 minutes away.
We cannot wait to return.,

1  Thank RonandRoberta