“Don't let the name fool you! Horrible Service!”

Gansevoort Turks + Caicos
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
NEW YORK NY
“Don't let the name fool you! Horrible Service!”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I don't even know where to start. I expected at least 4 star treatment at this hotel. being that its the Gansevoort and I been to the one in NYC and Miami. It does not compare one bit! I give this hotel two star just for the OKAY room's I had ocean front studio. The pool was okay not to big and def not enough chairs. (also this was slow season close to dead) for the amount of money they charge for guest starting at $320 per night I think they should have some what half decent people working that understand how to satisfy people. I'm from NYC and I never had such horrible service. I stayed at 3 star hotels and received better service.

Rooms: Rooms are nice nothing spectacular re i had the ocean front studio. the bed was full size it stated we were getting KING! def not the most comfortable bed i slept on. kind of soft i guess.... we woke up every morning with a back ache. the shower doors were not sealed correctly there would be water on the floor every time we would shower. (4-5 star hotel cant get a shower door fixed?) drives me nuts the amount they charge guest.

Restaurant Service: First i must say that gratuity is included in the prices on the menu its states it on the very bottom in fine print. many people dont see it me myself i didnt i was leaving a 30 percent tip! i never been to a restaurant that had such horrible service. i think workers at McDonalds give better service than at Bagatelle.(gives NY's Bagatelle such a bad name) first day we get there we order lunch sit down service... a burger my bf ask for it to be med he got well done so dry!!!!!(lady by us had the same prob with her burger) with some jerk chicken wings, and for appetizers cold cut board (cold cuts were brown look discolor prob from being outside too long)and two drink the bill came over $100. i don't mind paying money for food but when the waiter has you waiting 30 mins and food is not cooked the way you want it and then he brings out everything you order at once. shouldn't he bring out the appetizers first? than the burgers and chicken? btw it was just me my bf and another old lady eating alone. so u cant even say that they were busy. i don't know but this wasn't the first [--] up with their service.
Second day we order breakfast to the room (free continental) we ask for 2 bagels, muffins and fruit with 2 OJ drinks. what do they do they bring one toasted bagel with muffins and fruits ( watermelon was old) and two drinks. on top of that you have to pay taxs and hotel tax apx (10$) i didn't expect a free breakfast to cost me 10 bucks in taxes plus tip (not that i wouldn't have tipped them for bringing me breakfast) if i would of know i would of went down to eat for free.
Third Day we decide to get some drinks and lunch by the pool. we got the steak frits (on a wrap) was pretty good and the drinks were good too. (just slowwww service) mind you it was not even a busy at this hotel i could count 6 couples by the pool.
Fourth Day we get the sand dune drink that we got on day 3 what do they bring they bring us a white Russian drink! (sand dune is a orange drink made with guava fruit) so we have them send it back what do they come with orange sand dune with BLUE in it! this is not the same drink. but we just kept it and drank it. And the steak frit wrap again.
Fifth Day by the pool we decided to get the sand dune again (really good drink at least on day 3 it was) so what happens they bring us the wrong drink again second time again its wrong it has the blue in it. third time we tell them please just bring us the sand dune with NO BLUE in it. finally they get it. apparently the bartenders do their drinks all differently. shouldn't it be what the menu says it has? i guess they cant read this is what you get when you have kids under 18 working there. we also got a mahi mahi taco was pretty good but we requested fries with it no chips. of course they forget the fries and bring us the chips. the waiter was nice enough to bring us the fries then but forgets the ketchupppppp how do u forget ketchup???? i didnt even want it at this point it would take them 15mins to get it.

Later in the day we order a cheese board by the pool. it only took an hour i told the waiter where is my food they said it was coming finally it came i asked the waiter what took so long he said sorry but i was looking for crackers. i look at the board and see no crackers!!!!! i said what happened u said you were looking for crackers he tells me oh next time. are you kidding me the cheese board is suppose to come with crackers! on top of that what do i get melted cheese it look like it was sitting out for a while.like the waiter prob forgot my order in the back kitchen. i understand its hot and all but come on i just order it and i get melted cheese? that's what happens when your waiter takes a whole hr to bring out your cheese order! at this point I was tired of complaining i should of complained to management but i guess its just them in general.....slow people in everything.

we def didn't eat dinner at bagatelle there menu didn't have much to being with nor did it change they never had daily specials not even lobster in lobster season!

all i have to say is that Gansevoort in Turks is no where near the Gansevoort in NYC or Miami. I don't know how you can charge guest starting rate at 320 per night and you cant even get decent service at the restaurant. I'm big with service I love to eat and don't mind paying but when you have someone who barley understands and under the age of 18 and how to wait tables its...itss i cant even explain like your getting robbed. I bet you get better service at one of the other hotels out there that charge half of what this one charges.

i def give this hotel 2 stars for the rooms and zeroooo for the value. maybe at 99 per night its worth it no way would i pay 320 a night again for this place. hopefully they will get better staff so guest can actually feel that they are getting there money's worth at this so called 4-5 star hotel! dont let the name fool you not close to four star hotel.

6 Thank TEEROO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
New Jersey
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We had a direct flight from Philadelphia to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands. In a little over 3 hours we were in paradise.

We stayed 7 nights at the Gansevoort in late April 2009 (Saturday April 25, 2009 to Saturday May 2, 2009) and loved it. They had just recently opened up but you would not know it.

The hotel is new, well designed and very clean. As you enter the open lobby you are awed by the great views of the pool, beach and ocean. The hotel is a boutique resort with only 91 guest rooms and it was not very crowded when we were there.

The service was top notch. Everyone went out of their way to making sure we were happy. The staff was friendly, polite and attentive to our ever need from serving us breakfast, setting up dinner reservations, renting a car, sight seeing activities, to anything else you could think of the staff was fantastic.

The management staff was energetic and engaged and spent time with us discussing what they could do to improve the facility and our stay.

The room was great. We stayed in a one bedroom beachfront corner suite with unbelievable beach/ocean views from the terrace and the room. Large floor to ceiling windows and sliding doors and the use of glass panels on the terrace optimized the beautiful views. There was a large rain shower with multiple shower heads and a great separate bathtub in the bedroom with a view of the ocean. The electronic features (flat panel televisions, shades, lights, automatic air conditioning, room key) incorporated in the room were great and very convenient. Although we didn’t use it the kitchen was also top-notch.

The pool was unique with floating islands to relax on and an infinity edge facing the beach. The staff provided pool service all day and the drinks/snacks well excellent. We spent many hours lounging by the pool with cocktails in our hands. There is a soundtrack of music piped through an array of outdoor speakers surrounding the pool for ambience.

The bar service was also great. Our bartender would watch from afar to see if we enjoyed our drinks.

The beach - There were plenty of very comfortable cushioned lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach and they have a beach bar serving cocktails throughout the day. There was a continuous trade wind circulating throughout the day. The ocean water was beautifully clear and refreshing although wavy at times. There was a snorkeling reef just down the beach and the hotel provided snorkeling equipment. We saw sea turtles and other marine life.

The Exhale Spa - we enjoyed a soothing outside couple’s massage followed by relaxing private outdoor showers in the private garden area.

The island – We recommend renting a car and investigating the rest of the island. Chalk Sound is beautiful as well as some of the remote beaches – Pirates Cove and Malcom’s Beach (conch shells everywhere). Get directions and be prepared for bumpy ride on the unpaved dirt roads to these locations but well worth the trip. Because it is a tropical island, there are occasional rain storms but they are quick and a refreshing break from the sun.

Dinning – We ate the first and last night in the hotel at Bagatelle and the food was very good. The continental breakfast that was included in the price was great and included fruits, cereals, bagels, muffins, coffee, tea, etc. We also ate at other hotel and local restaurants. We highly recommend Grace's Cottage and Coco Bistro – both had great food and atmospheres. The hotel will always call you a cab for easy transportation.

We had an overall fantastic experience at this hotel and we would strongly recommend it. We really didn’t want to leave!!!

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EDMD1013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2009

From the minute we arrive at the airport we felt pampered. I called the hotel 2 nights before arriving to ask about how easy it was to arrange to transportation to the hotel and the conceirge advised me that they would make all the arrangements to pick us up and sure enough they were there.
The hotel is gorgeous. The staff are very friendly and go out of your way to do whatever they can to make your stay pleasant. The vibe is very cool and sophisticated. The pool is fantastic, the beach beautiful with some of the most beautiful shades of turqoise I have ever seen. The spa is a must, including the outside showers. They have a well equiped gym also. Snorkeling is just a short walk down the beach and the hotel provides snorkeling equipment.
The room is very well appointed with amazing views, great turn down service, super clean too.
The restaurant on the property is fairly good--we had breakfast and lunch there. Some terrific restaurants on the island--Thai Orchid for great Thai food and the Lemon Cafe for Meditteranean food--this restaurant had such a great atmosphere too.
Not much of a nightlife but there are a few things to do-we went to recharge.
We had a fantastic time and can't wait to go back!!

Brooklyn
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from our stay at the Gansevoort. We are from NYC so we knew the Gansevoort here and always liked the modern and young crowd. We were not disappointed. The grounds are gorgeous and we preferred the look of this hotel over the many "tropical" themed resorts on the island. The hotel was mostly couples but they few families with their kids were very low key. No kids acting up which was nice. Our beachside room was extremely clean and had killer views. We lunched everyday at Bagatelle (another spot we have in nyc though t&c's version was much more subdued). Food was very fresh and they make the best frozen mojito's we've ever had. We preferred to have dinner at other restaurants on the island so I can't say if dinner if good there but I'm sure it is. Breakfast was always room service and it was good - though I think I would have liked more options. Service is very good as they try to meet or exceed any needs. Though we would have liked if the waiters would come around more while lounging on the beach. In addition, the spa was a great beginning to our stay. We would def. like to return again.

1 Thank chasecadet
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I do not normally write reviews; however, my husband and I were thoroughly impressed with the Gansevoort property. We've traveled all over the world and stayed at some of the most exclusive properties (sometimes sponsored by our companies). Gansevoort looked like the pictures on the website, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and our room was fantastic! The hotel is secluded, but it's near a great snorkeling reef. Honestly, Turks & Caicos is not a "party" spot, so the secluded location did not feel misplaced or isolating. It was consistent with the low-key laid-back atmosphere of T&Cs. While the T&C's is not my favorite island, I would return to the Gansevoort property in a heartbeat.

The only negative is the limited dining options at the resort. The main restaurant is good, but we needed to go off-site for variety. Again, this is NOT a deal-breaker.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 10, 2009

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Gansevoort for a romantic getaway but after a scuba diving incident, he needed medical attention. The staff at the hotel were outstanding in assisting us with all our needs - which were many - and helping to get us off the island as he couldn't fly. I would especially like to commend one of the managers Jean-Francois who went out of his way to help us. In spite of the medical emergency, we had a fantastic time enjoying our ocean view room, dining at the restaurant and soaking up sun on the pool 'islands'. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DiveCaribbean5
nyc
Reviewed August 10, 2009

If you’re looking for a crazy get away this is not the island for you... well at least not in July… the slow season. Turks is enjoyable and relaxing and the Gansevoort was amazing. Everyone from housekeeping, to bar staff, to front desk, to management they all made my solo trip extra special. By the time I left, I truly felt like family. My room was beyond amazing, I had a huge terrace with an ocean view, full kitchen and living room, washer and dryer, full bathroom and a jacuzzi in my bedroom. Regulars at the Hotel heighten my trip by taking me out on a diving boat which the front desk can arrange for you, I highly recommend to snorkel the reef, island hop, and enjoy fresh conch salad. Hotel guest are comfortable socializing with each other and since it’s a boutique hotel, conversation is easy to find at the restaurant Bagatelle’s bar. If you are looking for the wild Bagatelle crowd found in NYC you may be disappointed. Bagatelle Turks is beachy, sophisticated, and the food is lovely. I actually went home and contemplated going back for the next week a couple of days. 5 days is perfect, make sure you leave the Hotel and explore some of the restaurants on the island as well.. for the whole Turks experience. I will be back next time with a bunch of girls… see you in January!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo