I chose the Gansevoort based on the other reviews on Trip Advisor. I wanted to take advantage of some great rates and kick start my summer. I had traveled to many places in the Caribbean but never the Turks and Caicos Islands. The country and the resort surpassed my expectations on every measure.
The Turks and Caicos is very close to the United States. The flight there from Miami was under two hours. Immigrations and customs is a cinch. The airport is older. It doesn't have a Starbucks and the duty free / gift store options are not modern. The people are all warm and friendly. Security at the airport was professional and tight. I appreciated this even though it meant my bags were hand-searched twice when exiting the country.
I was met by a Gansevoort agent at the airport and the transfer to the resort was professional, efficient and quick. The resort is brand new. It just opened in February so everything is brand spanking new. It will be interesting to see how the Gansevoort manages once things have some wear and tear. But for now, take advantage of the fact that everything looks like it has just come out of a box.
The resort has a higher end, modern feel -- sort of a like a W hotel. But unlike a W, everything is new and not just spray painted black and put into dim lighting. It is a modern, fresh place -- not opulent like a Four Seasons or one of the renovated Ritz Carlton resorts-- it has a more trendy, understated (but elegant) aesthetic. The design of the resort is efficient, sleek and very attractive. The lobby is small but lofty. You walk in and see a gorgeous pool and the ocean right away. On the left is the Bagatelle restaurant and two separate workout studios. On the right is the spa and a small (but satisfactory) workout room.
The fitness room is about 25' by 25'. It has two star trac tread mills, one star trac eliptical machine and a star trac stationary bicycle. All the star trac cardio machines are new and Polar ready. There is a very good selection of free weight dumbbells. There is also a circuit of six or seven weight machines that is decent. Bosu balls and swiss balls are present too.
NOTE: The resort needs to install a wipe dispenser so guests can clean the machines. In the age of swine flu, this is an omission. Also, I hope they add another eliptical machine. The gym was not busy, but that machine got the most use and was the only machine I had to wait for.
Service in the hotel is better than the service generally found in the Caribbean. House keeping is excellent. I would call before hitting the beach or pool and my room would be cleaned within two hours and very well at that.
MINOR points for improvement:
1. wireless internet was down for three days and generally slow. I complained when it was down and the manager gave me a cord that could be plugged into the phone. There was no sense of urgency about the internet not working. The management will have to realize that some guests can only escape to a place like the Gansevoort if they're able to monitor things back in the office. Hopefully they'll stay on top of the internet situation.
2. The otherwise excellent room service forgot to refill splenda and creamers every day that I was there. I had to call housekeeping each and every day to have them replaced.
3. I ordered an (excellent) chicken wrap and three bottles of sparkling water the first day I got there from room service. Total was $55.00! After that I went to the local IGA supermarket. Expensive, but worth the trip (and the hassle of waiting for a taxi to get things back to the hotel). I strongly suggest budgeting two and a half hours to walk over there and pick up some basics for your stay.
4. Service is good and friendly, but still Caribbean. Things like the following are typical: a server will spill a carafe of coffee and it won't be mopped up for the full hour you're at breakfast. Each day that I ordered the continental breakfast some component of it was missing. No butter, or no jam, or no silverware. Checklists are not big in the Islands. Service is not as slow as Jamaica, but you can definitely tell you're not in the United States where we are generally spoiled versus the rest of the world in terms of service.
1. the resort is as gorgeous as everyone has said in the reviews
2. Grace bay beach is exquisite. There is not a lot of sea life to see right off the beach, but the water and sand cannot be bested.
3. The resort restaurant has an adult friendly and sophisticated menu. All the food I had there was great (but expensive)
4. I was on a diet during this trip so I didn't try the cocktails
5. Service was friendly and generally better than most of the Caribbean, although there were minor (but only minor) glitches.
6. The spa is expensive but very good. I got massage and a facial (first time ever) and it was great!
7. I didn't take a Core Fusion exercise class, but they looked really, really good and the Gansevoort lives up to its reputation of being a trendy, eco-friendly, exercise and healthy diet friendly place of the highest caliber.
8. The sleep systems and Frette bedding and towels were outstanding.
It is hard for me to imagine someone being disappointed by this resort. Book a stay at the Gansevoort with confidence. Hopefully they can keep it up as the resort ages.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gansevoort Turks + Caicos brings a signature approach to luxury lifestyle that redefines the destination resort experience. Each of the 91 guestrooms offers sweeping ocean views positioned and designed to pay homage to the unspoiled island. The resort blends Caribbean cool with sophisticated style to create a sense of place for our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with West Indies, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Gansevoort Turks + Caicos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gansevoort Turks Caicos Providenciales
- Gansevoort Turks + Caicos Turks And Caicos/Providenciales