“8 nights at the Gansevoort”

Gansevoort Turks + Caicos
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Chicago, Illinois
“8 nights at the Gansevoort”
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I chose the Gansevoort based on the other reviews on Trip Advisor. I wanted to take advantage of some great rates and kick start my summer. I had traveled to many places in the Caribbean but never the Turks and Caicos Islands. The country and the resort surpassed my expectations on every measure.

The Turks and Caicos is very close to the United States. The flight there from Miami was under two hours. Immigrations and customs is a cinch. The airport is older. It doesn't have a Starbucks and the duty free / gift store options are not modern. The people are all warm and friendly. Security at the airport was professional and tight. I appreciated this even though it meant my bags were hand-searched twice when exiting the country.

I was met by a Gansevoort agent at the airport and the transfer to the resort was professional, efficient and quick. The resort is brand new. It just opened in February so everything is brand spanking new. It will be interesting to see how the Gansevoort manages once things have some wear and tear. But for now, take advantage of the fact that everything looks like it has just come out of a box.

The resort has a higher end, modern feel -- sort of a like a W hotel. But unlike a W, everything is new and not just spray painted black and put into dim lighting. It is a modern, fresh place -- not opulent like a Four Seasons or one of the renovated Ritz Carlton resorts-- it has a more trendy, understated (but elegant) aesthetic. The design of the resort is efficient, sleek and very attractive. The lobby is small but lofty. You walk in and see a gorgeous pool and the ocean right away. On the left is the Bagatelle restaurant and two separate workout studios. On the right is the spa and a small (but satisfactory) workout room.

The fitness room is about 25' by 25'. It has two star trac tread mills, one star trac eliptical machine and a star trac stationary bicycle. All the star trac cardio machines are new and Polar ready. There is a very good selection of free weight dumbbells. There is also a circuit of six or seven weight machines that is decent. Bosu balls and swiss balls are present too.

NOTE: The resort needs to install a wipe dispenser so guests can clean the machines. In the age of swine flu, this is an omission. Also, I hope they add another eliptical machine. The gym was not busy, but that machine got the most use and was the only machine I had to wait for.

Service in the hotel is better than the service generally found in the Caribbean. House keeping is excellent. I would call before hitting the beach or pool and my room would be cleaned within two hours and very well at that.

MINOR points for improvement:
1. wireless internet was down for three days and generally slow. I complained when it was down and the manager gave me a cord that could be plugged into the phone. There was no sense of urgency about the internet not working. The management will have to realize that some guests can only escape to a place like the Gansevoort if they're able to monitor things back in the office. Hopefully they'll stay on top of the internet situation.
2. The otherwise excellent room service forgot to refill splenda and creamers every day that I was there. I had to call housekeeping each and every day to have them replaced.
3. I ordered an (excellent) chicken wrap and three bottles of sparkling water the first day I got there from room service. Total was $55.00! After that I went to the local IGA supermarket. Expensive, but worth the trip (and the hassle of waiting for a taxi to get things back to the hotel). I strongly suggest budgeting two and a half hours to walk over there and pick up some basics for your stay.
4. Service is good and friendly, but still Caribbean. Things like the following are typical: a server will spill a carafe of coffee and it won't be mopped up for the full hour you're at breakfast. Each day that I ordered the continental breakfast some component of it was missing. No butter, or no jam, or no silverware. Checklists are not big in the Islands. Service is not as slow as Jamaica, but you can definitely tell you're not in the United States where we are generally spoiled versus the rest of the world in terms of service.

RECAP:
1. the resort is as gorgeous as everyone has said in the reviews
2. Grace bay beach is exquisite. There is not a lot of sea life to see right off the beach, but the water and sand cannot be bested.
3. The resort restaurant has an adult friendly and sophisticated menu. All the food I had there was great (but expensive)
4. I was on a diet during this trip so I didn't try the cocktails
5. Service was friendly and generally better than most of the Caribbean, although there were minor (but only minor) glitches.
6. The spa is expensive but very good. I got massage and a facial (first time ever) and it was great!
7. I didn't take a Core Fusion exercise class, but they looked really, really good and the Gansevoort lives up to its reputation of being a trendy, eco-friendly, exercise and healthy diet friendly place of the highest caliber.
8. The sleep systems and Frette bedding and towels were outstanding.

It is hard for me to imagine someone being disappointed by this resort. Book a stay at the Gansevoort with confidence. Hopefully they can keep it up as the resort ages.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
7 Thank seamas66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed June 20, 2009

First, I should start with the positives. This is an absolutely beautiful hotel, it is right on the beach and it is in a more secluded area (when we walked down the beach near the Sandals and other mass resorts, we were even more appreciative of the secluded location. The surroundings are absolutely amazing and the outdoor areas take full advantage of the great Turks water. The beach staff bends over backwards to make you happy.

This is built as a 5 star resort, but I have to say that I have had better service and less problems at Marriotts or Hyatts. There are far too many issues that are huge drawbacks to the beautiful locale, as follows:

1. The free WiFi that they advertise throught the hotel does not work. It is painfully slow, when you can get it to connect (good luck finding the one little spot in your room, or in the lobby, where the signal is strong enough) , so don't expect to be able to check e-mail or use Skype while there unless you plug in the phone cord into your laptop (fortunately, it is a CAT5 cable that allows this, but then you can't use the phone in your room - but see below as to why that may not be an issue).

2. Their phone system doesn't work, which is a massive problem. We were getting constant calls for the room next to ours, which at first I attributed to people not dialing correctly. After the first day, when the hotel was calling to confirm dinner reservations and other things for the room next door and they expressed frustration that they could not get through to the room. I complained about this several times and on the third complaint (after 5 calls, including 2 from the front desk), I was told that "It really isn't our problem, the phone company that installed the phone system didn't do it right." This really isn't the attitude I want to hear and it certainly isn't my job to contact their phone installer. We were resigned to disconnecting the phone during our stay, which was inconvenient, as our cell phones did not work there and my sister also staying the hotel could not reach us.

3. Our safe stopped working the third day we were there. It couldn't be replaced.

4. Our Ipod Docking station didn't work and had to be replaced. The DVD player was not hooked up (really, I don't think we should have to do installation).

5. Although the rooms are beautiful, our room, which was the junior oceanfront suite with the jacuzzi tub, lacked privacy in the bathroom. The shower and the toilet had glass doors which were smoked enough to where you could still see someone in there. Also, the room is all tile and there is no real sound barrier between the bathroom and the rest of the suite - so you can hear everything.

6. Service is lacking here. Toiletries were not replaced unless you specifically asked (and then, only what you specifically asked for), one of our robes was taken by housekeeping and it took 3 calls to get it back and inexplicably, they took our bath mat (which also took 3 calls to get back). Towels were always placed in different areas, which was odd and housekeeping never seemed to come at consistent times. Also, be aware that the floors are marble and due to the humidity, they take a while to dry after being mopped. We both slipped a few times on the floor and were lucky not to fall.

7. For some reason, the bar by the beach charged twice as much for drinks as the bar in the restaurant. Service by the beach was much better than anywhere in the hotel. The bartender and beach attendants were the hardest working people there, but the rest of the staff didn't seem to be so concerned with making your stay comfortable. The girls at the front desk were absent minded at times, and had an attitude at others. Also, keep in mind that service in the restaurant was somewhat attentive until you get your meal, and then completely absent (this seemed to be prevalent throughout the island, so may just be cultural, but good luck getting a drink refill).

8. Room service wasn't that bad, but it wasn't great either. My medium cheeseburger was blood rare (we were so exhausted with calling about problems that I abandoned the thought) and while sitting in my sister's room, we discovered she had a different room service than we did. She asked for an updated menu from room service and was given one that was different from ours, and from the one she was given. When her room was changed because she was given the wrong room (another issue), we found that there was a fourth version of the room service menu. It was just comical. Also, with regard to the restaurant, seasoning in the food was somewhat lacking and don't order anything with rice, as it was consistently hard as a rock. Breakfast is grossly overpriced here.

Again, this is a beautiful resort, but all the problems were enough to make me seriously consider whether I would return.

6 Thank freddiaschaffer
Fresh Meadows, New York
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Just came back from a 3 night stay at the Gansevoort. The resort was well kept and the service and attention from the staff was phenomenal! I was there for a girls weekend away and we had the most relaxing time. The rooms were well appointed and the kitchen was better equipped than my own kitchen at home. There were 3 of us and we stayed in a 1 bedroom suite...which was more than enough room for us. Our first floor unit had a nice patio that gave us direct beach access (which was very convenient). The food at Bagatelle was good but I would try the outside restaurants for some local flavor. The is also a supermarket close if you want to utilize the kitchen. Best part of our stay was the Exhale spa. Went for massages 2 days in a row. Cristie and Tamika are great if you like deep tissue massages. I hate it when I pay top buck for massages and the therapists don't apply enough pressure.

All in all, great property and atmosphere was very relaxing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
CT
Reviewed June 14, 2009

My wife & I visited the Gansevoort Turks for our honeymoon. Here is our detailed review of the hotel.

Service - The service was good for majority of our stay. We were greeted with alcohol shots upon arrival (no surprise since everyone else on tripadvisor.com has already mentioned this). The waiters & front desk were very helpful with our needs. They always advised us in taking taxi cabs (which are very expensive!) to the nearest places. If you don't mind walking for 15-20 min to other restaurants, you can save yourself $30 per trip. One thing I will mention is that the service crew had an energetic but yet laid back personalities which brought the experience to the next level. The hotel cleaning staff was great as well... they kept our room very clean & orderly.

Bagatelle Restaurant - The bagatelle restaurant is great for non-vegetarians but absolutely horrible for vegetarians. My wife is vegetarian and therefore we avoided the restaurant. If you're vegetarian and staying at the Gansevoort, I recommend checking out Simba's restaurant which is right next door to Gansevoort (5 min walk). I do recommend eating at the bagatelle restaurant for the continental breakfasts. Their continental breakfasts are the best I have ever had (we loved the yogurt parfaits w/ fresh fruits). The afterhours menu wasn’t great. We got a $30 cheese platter which was very basic to the taste. I would recommend going to IGA supermarket to load up on late night snacks.
The drinks at the hotel tasted well but with a steep price...

I recommend checking out this other restaurant called “somewhere on the beach”. It is a 5-10 min walking distance from the beach. We must have gone there 4-5x throughout our stay. They serve Mexican food … drinks tasted well with a fair price. Check out their happy hours ..
Check out Tiki Hut as well (15-20 min walking distance)...

Rooms- We stayed in the Jr Suite and the room was amazing for the price we paid (website special). The Jr suites don’t include a full size kitchen. The stand in shower with the glass was great. We received a room where we can view the ocean from our shower (which was really nice to have). The flat panel televisions with the direct tv satellite service was very nice to have as well. The beds were very comfortable. All the rooms had oceanview balconies. The balconies had very nice tables & chairs where you can sitdown & enjoy the view.

Beach- The beach was very clean and the hotel services were very kind to setup umbrellas & towels for us. We had no problem receiving chairs & towels everyday. No competition to wake up early to guarantee a chair & umbrella shenanigans. The beach had a nice privacy level to it as well. Not too many other resorts next door to it …

Pool – Very nice contemporary pool. The ambience was great but the outdoor music needed uplift. The hotel kept playing the same cd all day.

Location- Walking distance to the IGA supermarket and few restaurants. The Gansevoort is located a bit further away from the rest of the bulk of hotels. If you’re looking for souvenirs to purchase, then you will have to take a taxi cab ride around seven seas resort area.

Dislikes –
About once or twice throughout our stay, we had some annoying realtor bang on our door by mistake. Apparently, he was trying to sell some of the rooms in the hotel to potential buyers. I wished the realtor & the hotel communicated with each other more effectively about this. This doesn’t give the grandest “honeymoon” experience when being interrupted in the mornings.
The wi fi internet was “apparently” down for the entire week.
The bagatelle restaurant kept charging us for room service continental breakfast plates whereas they should have been complementary from the get go. It became annoying to walk up to the front desk and tell them about these erroneous charges.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bachu2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Warning, this review is LONG. There are so many things to mention to help future travelers. My wife and I stayed at this hotel from June 1-11 and had the time of our lives. Weather was perfect with just two short rain showers during 2 afternoons out of 10 days. We travel frequently, so we are not easily impressed, but we were very impressed with Gansevoort, called Wymara(parent company) on the island! I will use sections for this review to keep it on point and organized...ENJOY

Our Arrival:
The hotel picked us up from the airport on-time and with ease. It took us 15 minutes from walking off the plane to getting into our hotel transport. Customs was lightning fast and easy(no bag check). We were greeted with rum punch on arrival and were shown our incredible one-bedroom ocean front room.

Our Room:
Our one-bedroom ocean front room was amazing. The rainshower head in the glass encased shower was the best that I have ever experienced and the super-deep tub was incredibly relaxing. The room had a fully equipped kitchen, washer dryer, dining room, living room, bedroom and bathroom. The ultra modern features include electronically adjusted shades and modern plasma tv's in the bedroom and living room (Yes, don't feel guilty about occasionally checking ESPN Sportscenter or your favorite show!) . The heavenly view from our balcony was full ocean front (room 1309) and had table, chairs and a great lounger.

Hotel Staff:
The staff at the hotel are incredible and they tend to your every need. From Jamal (the pool/beach guy) to the pool and beach manager(Jill). From the food servers, Leonard and Lynn to the front desk staff, Jean Francois and Diane, these people go above and beyond to guarantee that your every request is taken care of. Room service was up in our room in 20 minutes or less and the included continental breakfast is large with muffins, toast, fruit, yogurt and juice/coffee.

Hotel amenities:
The hotel grounds are amazing, with a very modern, white exterior. The pool is not huge, but very well designed, incuding pool islands and the most comfortable padded loungers you will every experience. The beach and pool have more than enough pool and beach chairs, and this would probably hold true even during high season. The gym was well equipped and brand new(as the rest of the resort). You can get a very comprehensive workout in this gym and it is air conditioned fully for your comfort. There is an equipment desk on the beach that provides you with free snorkel gear, kayaks etc.. This is great for snorkeling at the nearby and walkable Coral Gardens or Smith's Reef. There is a beach bar to quench your thirst, and full pool service from Bagatelle that serves great drinks and killer Chicken Wraps for lunch. I am unable to comment on Bagatelle's dinners, as we chose to dine away from the hotel for our evening meals. However, the guests seemed to enjoy the dinner fare at Bagatelle. The hotel also offered, Core Fusion, Sport Fusion and a yoga class offering taught by Erin Jacque and assisted by MaryLou. My wife went to these classes EVERY day and LOVED them. They were 1-hour classes that challenged your limits of flexibilty, core strength and focus. The best thing about Erin is that she allowed you to do your best and was motivating and inspirational to the entire class! Her classes were one of our trip's highlights! The classes were usually around 9-10 am and 5:30-6:30 pm. Try a class, you will love the experience. These classes were regularly $28per class, but were free to us (I think that our package included these classes). In addition, our package included a 1-hour massage for each of us. Christina gave us an incredible massage in the most tranquil environment. I woud highly recommend this service during your trip.

Gansevoort...kid friendly?:

My wife and I did not travel with our children, and therefore did not want to visit an Disneyworld like atmosphere chock full of screaming children. Although I would not say that this resort is anti-families, it had very few families during our stay. The vibe of the hotel is South Beach and laid back. There are not really any hotel activities for children and it seemed that the few families that we saw were reserved and well behaved. I would not recommend this hotel as ideal for families. This hotel seemed to be best suited for couples who want relaxation and break from their hectic lives.

Other Restaurants:
First off, my wife and I enjoy good food and solicited many opinions from locals and travelers to decide on our evening dining pleasures. We went to 3 restaurants twice because they were soooo good! Our favorite wasa little restaurant located in a plaza called CAICOS CAFE. They have a charming atmosphere enhanced by incredible service from the chef's daughter, Justine, and great helpers that set-up your table and tend to your every need. ORDER THE SCALLOPS, they are the best that I have ever had. In addition, the carrots prepared in a ginger orange sauce were to die for. These were so good that I called in before our second dining to ask if I could get a large order of these. The restaurant obliged and had my favorite side dish ready ...just for me! The desserts are great, highlighted by Apple pie with raisins a la mode. From start to finish, this was a great meal.
Our second favorite was COCO's BISTRO.The atmosphere under the lighted swaying palms was awe-inspiring and they started off our meal with a pesto enhanced bread that was both unique and addictive. The duck wonton appetizer was wonderful and their seafood was delicious. The total meal, service and food gets an A+.
Our next winner was Coyaba. This restaurant had the most creative menu on the island, taking ordinary offerings and adding spice and flair. This was evident when the bread opener was accompanied by a coconut butter comprised of coconut cream, cream cheese and sour cream (insanely good), followed by a conch ravioli that had unique spice and accompaniments. The chocolate fondant dessert was a special treat. The only hiccup at this restaurant was an ambivalent server (that we encountered on both dinners). She was not rude, just unengaging and lacking of the pleasantness that you find in most any other restaurant. We also loved the atmosphere and service of Parallel 23, the unbelievable sea bass at O'Soleil and the the casual dining of Tiki Hut and Somewhere on the Beach.

Rental Car:
One piece of advice...GET ONE!!! Taxi's are enormously expensive and at $39/day, Grace Bay Rentals will deliver and pick up your car at your hotel. At the Gansevoort, you will find that you need a car to get to most any restaurant, the grocery(IGA) and the most incredible beach on the island, Taylor Bay (I'll talk about this slice of paradise later). The owner, Todd is the most amazing person that we met, giving you any information on directions and things to do. He even offered to bring me beach chairs for our beach adventures!!! Driving on the left is a snap, and apart from turning on your windshield wipers when signalling to make turns, you will have no problem with island traffic. One last piece of advice...GET A RENTAL CAR!

Taylor Bay::
I gave this slice of heaven its own section for a reason. My wife and I explored the whole island and found nothing that came close to the beauty, seclusion and relaxation of Taylor Bay. If you do nothing else while you are in TCI, GO HERE!!! When you see this beautiful bay you will know what I mean (pics attached). It is next to Sapodilla Bay, but is less visited, more pristing and more breathtaking (in my opinion). To get to this bay is a little tricky. You pass Las Brisas on the right and travel about a mile to Ocean Point Drive (maked by a small sign and a pile of nicely stacked and lanscaped rock formation). You make a left hand turn on Ocean Point Dr and drive a couple of hundred feet to where the asphalt ends and the concrete road begins. You will park at this point on the right hand side of the road that has a dirt shoulder big enough for 2-3 cars. Walk down this path for about a minute, pass the tennis courts on your right, and walk into this heavenly paradise. The beach is expansive, finer sand than Grace Bay(if you can believe it), warmer water that Grace Bay and shallow (less than your waist) for the entire length and width of the bay. Walking on the sand (both in and out of the water) is like walking on pillows, and you can lay on your back for hours while wading in this paradise. And now for the best part...YOU WILL PROBABLY BE ALONE. In 5 separate trips to this bay, we were alone the whole time for 3 of the 5, and the most crowded it ever got was 2 other couples spread out over this enormous playground. Bring a lot of water, sunscreen and beach towels as this is a secluded and unshaded bay. PLEASE go here and let me know of your impressions.

Little tips:
Bring singles or two-dollar bills(my favorite) for tipping. It's not necessary, but we like to appreciate great service. Stock up at the IGA. It;'s not cheap, but you can make your lunch each day and save a ton on your vacation bill. Pick up little petit-four desserts from Fresh Bakery near Salt Mills.This is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without abandoning your beach body. Take a ton of digital photos, as these will be your chronicles of these amazing sunrises, sunsets and the best beaches in the world. Try to get a room on floor 2,3 or 4 so that you will have a better view of Grace Bay and the beach. Try to get a one-bedroom suite with full kitchen and washer dryer. This will help you pack less clothing and offset your trip costs by preparing some meals. Try to arrive and depart on a weekday, as I have heard many nightmares on excessively long Saturday lines. Arrive with a great attitude, you will have the time of your life. Please contact me with any questions, Dan.

16 Thank bumblesport
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My husband and I just got back from the hotel a couple days ago and wow, what an amazing honeymoon we had. The island itself if indescribable as the water is the most turquoise/clear water I've ever seen. The people there were really nice too, and seemed happy to have you there which was really nice.

We booked a 1 room ocean front suite, room #2309, and it was huge and gorgeous. We were, literally, right on the beach on the 3rd floor. We had a full bedroom seperated by full length sliding glass doors, a free-standing tub that had water that came out of the ceiling, a gorgeous shower with a ceiling water spout, a dining room, full kitchen, and large living room. We had a large terrace with a fantastic view of the ocean and sunsets, with 1 chaise lounge chair and a table and 4 chairs 2 flat screen TVs.

We got in late the 1st night, but were still greeted with rum punch shots and a really helpful staff. The catering manager walked us through the restaurant menu and helped us pick out a cheese plate, meat plate, and bottle of wine to be delivered to our room. The woman behind the front desk was really excited to show us our room and gave us a full tour of everything our room, the hotel had to offer.

Our room was truly breathtaking, as was the view from the porch. We were greeted with a bottle of Moet champagne, chocolate truffles, and a note welcoming us on our honeymoon. The pool at the hotel is gorgeous as is the beach and the cozy/fun chairs they have at both. The staff at both the pool and beach are fantastic and literally came running to help us anytime we got up to move our umbrella/chairs/etc. They kept saying "you're on vacation, you shouldn't have to work".

They took great care of us while we were there, with a morning cleaning, and an evening turndown service with a bottle of water for each of us every night. They even sent someone up to clean the conch shell that we had found in the ocean one day.

There are lots of included amenities as well. Free snorkeling gear, sailboat, kayaks, gym, beach towels are all included. We did use the spa and found that to be great as well as their "Core Energy" excercise class (extra cost) that was held outside in a beautiful woden gym area.

The food at Bagatelle was great, although expensive. Food on the island in general is expensive (Highly recommend Coco Bistro, Bagatelle, Atlantic Bar & Grill for $100+ meals), but there are less expensive places that offer burgers and such (Somewhere on Da Beach, the Tiki Hut) that are good too.

The only drawback I could see is that its pretty far down the beach from the shopping area, additional restaurants, etc. We actually liked being on a more secluded beach and took long walks down there frequently, or a cab which is about $10-$15 so not too bad. Its the 1st resort you come to from the airport though which was really nice. You can also take a cab to the grocery store and stock up on things for lunch/dinner/wine/beer etc. We did this and probably saved a lot of cash. A continental breakfast was included daily with our room and we found it to be great. (you can also have it delivered to your room for a small "delivery fee"). It included crossaints, fruit, yogurt, muffins, toast, coffee, and juice.

Overall our trip was fantastic. I highly recommend taking the "Caicos Dreams Tours" snorkeling trip too. You get a half day of snorkeling, going on a "conch hunt", eating fresh caugh conch salad, and hanging out on an uninhabited island. They pick you up right on the beach out front of the Gansevoort too!

4 Thank meganemurray
Las Vegas
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Ok where do I start. I expected a 4-5 star hotel and if not for the beautiful property and helpful pool and beach staff I would give this less than one star. Sorry guys this is gonna be long, there was just so much wrong with this place.
The Positives?
Secluded Beach, Beautiful Property, Great Snorkeling, Nice Rooms, Great Beach Bar, Great Pool, Great bar, beach and pool staff.
The Negatives? A lot, let me explain.
First of all I have never been to a more inconsistent hotel in my life, especially not on this level or for this price.
Upon arrival I was greeted by a female manager (who was the worst hotel manager I have ever encountered in my life) and all seemed fine, the property was breathtaking and we were served fruit punch upon arrival. When I was shown my room I was disappointed. I booked a Oceanfront Junior suite with Terrace and Jacuzzi (so my booking said). This was a partial ocean view at best and when I told her I expected a jacuzzi (wouldn't use it but it was the point) and this did not at all look like the picture on their website that was supposed to be the one I booked, she responded by saying that if I got a jacuzzi I would lose the terrace and they have no rooms with a jacuzzi and a terrace, at this point I decided I would rather have a terrace. She asked if I was unhappy with my room I said yes but decided to check out my sister's room to see if I wanted to change.
My sister and her boyfriend also stayed at the hotel in an oceanfront with jacuzzi. They had an oceanfront suite but they had no terrace and the floor to ceiling window was not a floor to ceiling window so I decided to stay put.
The next problem came when I tried to locate the standard binder all hotels have with the hotel amenities, room service menu, area info etc., There was not one, I searched everywhere and nothing. After my exhaustive search I called down to the front desk to ask for the binder that had all of that info with the room service menu. What I received was the one page restaurant menu (not even close to what I had asked for, the room service menu alone is completely different). I again called down to ask for the binder and never heard back from anyone nor did I receive it. Then on my way over to my sister's room I decided to stop by the front desk and ask for one. I finally got one but once I got to my sisters room I realized it was completely different than her binder; no area info, no full room service menu, no hotel info just a very brief incomplete room service menu. At this point I was beyond irritated but decided again to just go off of my sisters binder and not let it ruin my trip.
My next issue came that very night when my boyfriend and I returned to our room to find the door to our room wide open (we definitely closed it behind us my sister and her boyfriend saw us and we even jiggled the handle to make sure it was shut), my boyfriend entered first and found nothing out of the ordinary or anything missing (we were smart enough to use the safe the whole time). I immediately called down to the front desk and told them of the issue. After telling them that nothing was taken but I was concerned, he said he would look into it and get back to me. We did notice that our blinds had been closed and the turndown service completed so we assumed it was the maids who had left it open.
The next morning started with my boyfriend finding mold in the coffee maker and me not having heard back from the front desk about the door being left open.
On the way down to breakfast I decided to mention the door being open to the morning manager ( the same woman who checked us in) and she acted as if it was not her problem, told me the night manager made note of it and maintenance would be looking in to it. I told them my thought on the maids still no acknowledgment of any wrongdoing or any attempt to make it better. I never did get an explanation, apology or further acknowledgement on this issue. This was only my second morning there, I had already had more than 5 issues in less than 12 hours (not doing well).

While we were at the desk we asked if she could also book us for SNUBA (Awesome by the way) on Thursday morning (this being Tuesday morning) she repeated to us Thursday? We replied yes and she made the call. She picked up the phone called hung up the phone and said she had nothing available for Wed, What?! We told her Thurs but even if she heard us wrong and thought we said Wed (she did not) what concierge (or whatever she was, Manager?) just hangs up without asking if there are other days and tries to see if that would work for us? She knew we were there until Sat. When we corrected her on Thurs she called back and got us an appt. time (again highly recommend Snuba).
From there the day was great (I stayed away from the Front Desk Staff). The bartender at the beach bar was amazing (all of them) The beach staff was prompt, helpful and worked their butts off to please us, and they did. I would recommend getting drinks at the beach bar as they taste a lot better than the ones you get by the pool but they are more expensive by a few dollars at least (still not sure why).
When I returned to our room that day I had noticed that our toiletries had not been restocked (more on this later). I was tired so I left it alone plus I was tired of dealing with this woman manager by now and would have lost it had I had to talk to her again. That night I decided to review my booking confirmation (note keep the first one they send and print it out because my second confirmation was different) and noticed that it definitely said oceanfront floor to ceiling etc., I was annoyed.
The next morning upon talking to my sister (she had her own problems but I will let her leave that review) we both agreed that there was no way my room was oceanfront.
I saw that there was a different manager on duty and discussed this with him I still had 3 nights left so I decided to ask for a room change he told me with the package I booked (The Latin American) that was considered the oceanfront (What!! I didn't know the definition of oceanfront changed depending on the package you booked) but he did say he would see what he could do and was actually the first helpful front desk staff or management employee who seemed to be fit for his job. I will mention his name because he for the first time made me feel like I was in a 4 star hotel, his name was John Francois.
That night we were switched to the room I originally thought I was getting. It was just gorgeous, beautiful view from the terrace, floor to ceiling windows (sliding glass door actually) and the room was fully prepared.
Reggie (great employee) helped us with the room move and everything else (also beach and pool staff). At this point I realized how completely unprepared our original room had been. We now had a binder (still incomplete and not the same as my sister's but I left it alone I decided to bask in the happiness of getting the room I had originally paid for), we had all the toiletries we were supposed to ( about 8 more items than in our original room) our DVD player was hooked up and we had a fire emergency map on the back of our door!!! (I know scary that it was not in our original room) I have no idea how they prepared our original room but to say they simply did not.
That night my sister and her boyfriend came over to our new gorgeous room and we ordered room service (I had my sister bring her binder) and ate on the terrace and had a beautiful night. I decided to ask room service directly for a full menu (an entirely different menu from the first one I got from the front desk, the one in my second room and the one in my sisters room) and received the best one of the entire stay. "Finally", I thought, "the service I was expecting". (I spoke too soon)
That night was great but I did notice that the empty beer bottles and the dishes that we left outside for pickup the night before were still there at 11 am the next morning (they did come back for the majority of them about an hour after we received our food though).
That day when we returned to our room again they had not replenished our toiletries again and they took a robe but did not leave another (my sister had the same problem). I had to call down to get these sent up to us.
The next morning I called to order the continental breakfast (free with our package) before I went to the gym and asked that it be sent up in 45 minutes so it would be there when I got back and my boyfriend could sleep until then (it was only served until 11 so I called then to make sure I wouldn't miss it). This was repeated to me, 45 minutes? Yes I replied and then my boyfriend told me it arrived about 10 minutes later. On top of that it did not have the same things the one we ordered in the restaurant had, no bagel, toast and chocolate muffins instead of blueberry. I called and asked that a bagel, toast and blueberry muffin be sent. I received a call 5 minutes later asking if I had not received the original order I told her I had but I wanted a blueberry muffin, bagel and toast (the same breakfast that I had the previous 4 mornings) she agreed to send it up and when it arrived there was a bagel ,toast and What?!!! Another chocolate muffin!!!! I left it alone I was so done with talking to these people at this point I was not going to call again over a blueberry muffin. Needless to say getting a continental breakfast should never require four calls and still not be correct but this was definitely the norm at The Gansevoort.
On another note the air in the gym was not working that morning but the gym is nice and I used it every morning and it worked all other mornings.
The next morning I had a massage, which was just ok as far as massages are concerned, and it did take about 5 minutes for me to be greeted when I entered the spa (no one was at the front desk when I walked in).
I was checking out the next day and stopped by the front desk on the way up to my room to book an airport transfer the woman at the front desk did it but it took her a while to acknowledge us (I guess she was too busy doing absolutely nothing, really she was just standing there) and when she did there was not much communication (she was looking around acting annoyed) but I did see her put it in the computer (I learned to babysit these people at this point) so I was satisfied.
The next morning I decided I needed to review my final bill before checkout because we charged a lot to the room and did not want to do it at the last minute. I also want to mention that part of my package was supposed to include 10% off my total bill at checkout and a $25 restaurant credit and I just had a feeling this would not be correct.
This is why I said to keep your original booking confirmation my first one was correct and had this listed my second one did not (thank god I kept it).
I expected that I would have my final bill delivered to my room by about 2 hours before checkout (as has always been my experience), it was not so I called to have it sent up, it never came.
About 3 hours after my requested call I went to get it from the front desk and it of course was wrong. First of all it had listed me as making about 25 local calls @ $.50 a minute I had kept count of the calls made because I knew the cost and we had only made 5 total (The phone lines were messed up the entire time). Now let me tell you something here, first they say local calls are $.50 but in reality it is $.50 a minute and that minute includes ringing and you will still be charged if you get a busy signal or just ringing so just dialing costs $.50 a minute, even if no one answers. The $25 restaurant credit was not there and the 10% was not included. I called and John Francois fixed the call issue, the 10% and the $25 but I did have to prove it and was glad I kept my original booking confirmation.

To end my trip our bags were supposed to be picked up at 12:45 (they were not) and we just carried them down ourselves.
I want to note that this was not the problem of the guys that were supposed to pick up our bags the front desk staff failed to notify them of having to do this. To sum it up the single worst service and the most problems I have ever had at a hotel in my life (even from 2 star places, really). It seems that the more money you are paid at this hotel the lazier and less competent you are (with the exception of John Francois). The lower level staff was amazing worked their butts off and it also seemed like they were everywhere and had to do everything and did not have enough help. I think they could improve this hotel by firing about 5 front desk staffers (they are useless anyway) and hiring more help staff. The sad thing is, is that the guys that had to do more did a much better job and were on top of everything and those that had nothing to do sucked at the few things they had to do. Have I made it clear enough how much management sucks at this hotel?
On a totally weird note we also noticed someone had gone through our bags since my boyfriend's shoes that he never wore were out of his bag and this was not valet service since my shoes were not removed from my bag and nothing else from either one of our bags were unpacked. (This happened in our new room).
Last thing the wifi sucked!! Do not rely on it.
For me to return to this hotel they would have to refund my entire first stay, comp my entire next stay (all inclusive) and pay for two first class tickets there and back and even then I don't think I would do it. Not worth it or the frustration.
I have no clue how this place ever was rated more than 3 stars. Try the West Bay Club that is right next to this one, it looked nice, was still on the same secluded beach and they can not possibly have the same terrible service.
The reason I gave only 2 on service was due to the fact that management was soo bad, the other staff would get 5.
The rooms would be 5 if they would have been prepared correctly and we would have got the right room from the beginning.
The cleanliness is simply based on the mold and the failure to restock the room properly. The rest of the resort was very clean and our room was cleaned very well (coffee mold excluded).
Value would be Zero if I could give it.
BOOOOOO!!!!!!!