“October Anniversary Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Gansevoort Turks + Caicos
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
“October Anniversary Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Wonderful stay. Booked this hotel after research on this site. Wanted something small, chic, boutique"y" and this hit the spot. We were celebrating a special anniversary and wanted something romantic. We were not disappointed. Check in was smooth and the lobby/pool area is just as in the pictures - beautiful! We stayed for 6 nights in a Oceanfront (3rd floor) room. Great clean room, huge balcony which we enjoyed most mornings. I loved the rainhead shower. Had a kitchenette which was nice to store cold drinks and snacks we picked up from the grocery. Complimentary champagne awaited us in our room after check in (nice touch from the manager for our anniversary). Staff was very helpful throughout our stay. We enjoyed the fact that October is slow season, so the first part of our stay the hotel was only 50% full. This made it easy to get prime beach/pool chairs and lots of attention from the concierge (who was AWESOME!). Although even the last few days of our stay (which was much busier at the hotel) we had little trouble finding a pleasant place to lounge. We rented a car for 4/6 days we were there so we able to get off property to eat and shop at the local grocery and explore the island. I think that made the relatively remote location of this hotel (which is farther from dining options and the center of the bustle of most hotels) much easier to bear. I highly recommend renting a jeep - we saw parts of the island I wouldn't have otherwise known exisited.

Breakfast at the hotel was nice - lots of fresh fruit and an omelet bar - and most importantly - good coffee. We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant "Stelle" twice. Once Beachside - where they serve meals Sunday and Monday nights evidently and once in the tranditional restaurant near the pool. At the beachside location the view of the ocean/setting sun was awesome....food was average. We also ate at the poolside location at Stelle later in our stay. I was really craving a burger that evening - which was not on the menu (it is much more upscale than "burger"). But i asked if they could make me one before we were seated - and they did. Burger was delicious and service was also great. I appreciated the gesture.

We also booked a great deal on the room....every third night free, which made the pricey room a little easier to justify.

Room Tip: Oceanfront was worth it (3rd floor).
1 Thank Lawmommy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with a number of my friends at the end of October 2012. There were 10 of us total, I think? We had some travel drama due to Hurricane Sandy, but when we arrived we were immediatly greeted by the warm staff and the stunning property.
I stayed in the 3-bedroom suite and it was magical. Full kitchen, amazing shower, washer dryer. It was perfect.
A few great things:
-The massage I had at Exhale spa was one of the best ever in my life.
-The breakfast buffet in the morning was always relaxing and tasty.
-The staff was beyond nice and accomidating -- when we got stuck in Turks and had to extend our trip for a few days. They were amazing.

The beach is beautiful and the resort is very calm and relaxing. I'm not sure what kind of energy I was expecting, but I was struck by how calm, quiet, and chill the whole place felt. And it's a Gansevoort -- so clearly is was really hip and fun.

Stay here. You'll be thrilled.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We loved this hotel. It was small enough to not be overrun and had great beachfront access. This isn't a huge all inclusive resort (which is why we chose it) and though there is minimal choices at the hotel for food, we are the type to get out and experience other hotspots for great food. The staff was more than accommodating and extremely cordial. They went out of their way to make it a great trip. We will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: Make sure your oceanfront view is in full view and get on to at least the 2nd floor. We also loved...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Chic, boutique hotel. Room was amazing! Perfectly comfortable, quiet, relaxing, peaceful and clean. Food is very good. Friday night party is a must. Ask about bonfire dinners on the beach (wish we would have known about that.) Staff very friendly, a little slow, but to be expected with island life and forced us to slow down - a good thing. Their reservations team was very accommodating to push our trip back due to hurricane Isaac with no change to our room or price. 3 nights spent at this perfect place, but because so peaceful could unwind quickly and was just enough time to clear our heads.

Room Tip: First floor corner on outer end of hotel facing ocean.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Great hotel, very beautiful beach in front the hotel and perfect beaches services.
The room was beautiful, very clean, great shower, and a wonderful view.
The pool is perfect, clean and warm.
The food is also good, but as there are great restaurants in town I do recommend to eat outside the hotel. The breakfast is also ok

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ChicagoBonnie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

How lucky we were to arrive as Superstorm Sandy was just splashing the island with clouds and a bit of rain. We are so glad we picked the Gansevoort for our honeymoon because it's very chic, not a huge mega hotel and was so modern and nice. The pool looked small at first, but then when you realize that there's no screaming kids or loud volleyball players, it turned out to be perfect. You do have to reserve the 'best' seats which was only a problem for us on one day. The free continental breakfast is actually a wonderful full buffet including an omelette bar, bacon, french toast etc. We had a one bedroom ocean view suite (hey, we splurged, it was our honeymoon!) this means we had a FULL functioning kitchen, a washer/dryer (who comes home from vacation with clean clothes?) and a beautiful balcony with a view of the ocean. The only negative I would include is that some of the staff seem a little clueless. English is the language there, but sometimes they look at you like you're speaking Martian. I went to the gift store to buy postcards and asked where I could find stamps, she said the front desk has them, then when I ask the front desk, they tell me to go to the gift store... just stuff like that. But overall, very friendly and kind.

1 Thank ChicagoBonnie
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I vacationed in Turks & Caicos at the Gansevoort Turks & Caicos in Provo for 5 days, 4 nights in October 2012. We’ve been to St. Lucia, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Aruba, Curacao, Puerto Rico, Canouan Island and Jamaica. Our hotels have ranged from Raffles to the Ritz-Carlton to the Hyatt.

I absolutely loved Provo and I wasn’t ready to leave. I’ve already started looking into another trip to Provo or Grand Turk. Here’s why:

Beach:
Very calm, turquoise waters at Grace Bay Beach. White sand that’s very smooth and pleasant to walk on along the shoreline. Snorkeling right off the beach was a plus. I saw several types of fish and swam out to a depth of ~20 ft. I’m a scuba diver but didn’t get to dive because my Thursday morning dive trip was canceled due to Hurricane Sandy’s high winds and strong current.

The beds at the beach are incredibly comfortable and the lounge chairs are great, too. Lewis was very hospitable and set up our towels with ease and efficiency. From the beach you can order food from the Beach Bar but you have to waive down an attendant. Gansevoort should have flags that you stick in the sand when you want to order. It works at other upscale resorts and it’s not tacky.

Gansevoort:
The Gansevoort was gorgeous. The accommodations definitely met my expectations because we have two Gansevoort properties in NYC. The open lobby is adjacent to a stunning pool. The staff had a welcome punch when we arrived. We had a grand deluxe oceanfront studio with a private deck that had a table for four and a chaise lounge. There was lovely, lush greenery between our deck and the beach which created privacy. No one could walk onto our deck from the beach. I did yoga on the deck which was peaceful.

Our room was very spacious and modern. The bed was very comfortable and firm. There was never any noise from adjacent rooms or overhead so the building is well-constructed. Daily housekeeping was excellent and daily turn-down service was also great. The turn-down service included two bottles of water and Lindt chocolates. Nice touch. All electronics worked including the Bose iPod docking. There was so much storage in the room. It was easy to feel at home. It’s great that an iron and ironing board were already in one of the many closets. (I dislike having to request such basic items from some hotels.)

During our 5-day stay, there were rain showers and torrential downpours starting Monday night through Thursday evening but we made the best of it. Friday was gorgeous and sunny. On Wednesday and Thursday the hotel provided a free bar in the lobby along with a popcorn machine (like those at the movie theatre) and other snacks.

One complaint is that it was impossible to directly reach the concierge whenever I pressed that button on the phone from our room. I always got voice mail regardless of the time of day (between 8am - 4pm) that I called. The same happened when I hit “restaurant” to dial Stelle, the on-site restaurant, to make a reservation. I always had to call the front desk which connected me. Minor annoyance but one that the management at Gansevoort should remedy. What’s the point of having useless buttons on the phone? Once when I left a message to request information about diving excursions no one from the concierge desk returned my call. I walked to the front desk and the person was nice but understandably not knowledgeable about diving so she located a bunch of brochures that didn’t really help. It wasn’t until the next day that I was able to speak with concierge about diving.

Unfortunately our $215 (each) 80-minute massages were a huge disappointment. Mine wasn’t as lackluster as my husband’s massage but it didn’t leave me feeling as relaxed as I normally do after a massage. I spoke up and asked for more pressure or for areas to be skipped like my face which breaks out easily. I’ve had massages at almost every resort we’ve been to in the Caribbean and nothing comes close to the RafflesAmrita Spa in Canouan or the Ritz-Carlton’s spa in Rose Hall, Jamaica. I also get massages in New York for $110-$180 for 90-minutes. While accustomed to the mark-up in the Caribbean, exhale spa at Gansevoort needs to hire better massage therapists or re-train them. I also don’t understand why exhale (in New York and Provo) doesn’t have proper women’s and men’s lounges. You have to change in the bathroom. That is appalling. There’s no sauna or steam room either. I am not going back to exhale considering that I have so many spa alternatives. I should have known that after having a sub-par massage at exhale in New York that Provo wouldn’t be different but I booked treatments upon arrival. After four days of torrential downpours, the optimist in me held out hope for our last night’s massages to be a treat and I didn’t cancel our appointments. It’s not worth the price. exhale, upgrade your facilities and get better therapists and you’ll enable guests to actually “exhale” after a worthy-of-the-high-price massage.

The spa also offered Core Fusion classes at an additional price of $20/class or $60 for one week of unlimited classes for first-time guests only. Considering the circumstances—Hurricane Sandy!—during the week, the classes should have been free. Regardless of weather, they should be free. In St. Lucia at Anse Chastanet and in Jamaica at the Ritz-Carlton the yoga and Pilates classes were free.

Fortunately the pool and adjacent Jacuzzi were amazing. Don’t skip either when you’re at the Gansevoort in Provo. Enough said.

Food:
I’m a lucky New Yorker who is also a foodie but I try to manage my expectations when I travel and simply appreciate being on an island where a lot of things are imported. Nonetheless, the food was very good.

We ate most of our meals at Stelle (pronounced Stel-la, not like Estelle) and the Beach Bar. Stelle’s dinner atmosphere is sophisticated and tranquil. It is completely different when it turns into a buffet and omelet station during the complimentary breakfast every morning. On our last day, Friday morning, we were finally able to enjoy having breakfast outside at Stelle. It rained so much that we ate inside on most nights. Bonet, our server one night, was absolutely fantastic. Kimberly, the hostess, was also great.

On our first night at Stelle I ordered the snapper and my husband had the rock hen. We switched after tasting each entrée and I had the rock hen two other times because I enjoyed it so much but I also tried the grouper which was delicious.

The Beach Bar was never overcrowded for lunch (served until 5pm) and the view of the ocean is beautiful. My husband had the grilled conch and I enjoyed the fish tacos a few times. The service was a little spotty. Our server disappeared and my husband got up to request the check. A woman (in a yellow sweater) told us that our server was bringing our check when he was nowhere near the Beach Bar and 15 minutes later she actually brought the check. Guess our server’s shift was over. Who knows. Not a big deal. We are used to “island time” after several trips but the MIA server act was odd.

We ate off the resort twice but found it pointless because the only other restaurants were at other resorts. Monday’s dinner at Mango Reef at the Alexandra Resort was good. Lunch the next day at Hemingway’s made my husband nauseous. Hemingway’s feels a bit dated and there was work being done next to the restaurant which was unappealing. Not major construction just eyesores because they were digging or planting something. The $12 taxi fare wasn’t worth it either. The resorts were only 5 minutes away. After venturing out on Tuesday for lunch we never left the resort until our Friday departure.

Mosquitoes:
Not a big deal to us after staying in an open-air room in St. Lucia. We had a few mosquitoes in our room each night but we only experienced 4-5 bites combined. We also don’t wear fragrance or use scented lotions or body soaps when vacationing in the Caribbean. Other travelers had dozens of bites. There’s a vitamin you can take to make yourself less prone to bites. We aren’t big drinkers either and that seems to keep the bug bites at bay.

Room Tip: grand deluxe oceanfront studio, ground level
2 Thank jannytravels