“Excellent choice, would definitely stay again”
Review of Villa del Mar

Villa del Mar
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Mississauga, Canada
“Excellent choice, would definitely stay again”
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We stayed at the Villa Del Mar for 8 days/7nights in the Studio Suite (50% off special). It was difficult to make a choice on where to stay in Grace Bay since there were so many great choices. But in the end, we chose VDM for the price and location. Even though it is not on the beach, you can't beat the price for such a short walk to the beach - it truly is really short!

Room - absolutely beautiful room with really nice decor. Large bathroom, spacious sitting area and even the patio was large (with a lounge chair and 4 chairs/table). The bed is really comfortable and the room has all of the necessities - mini fridge, microwave, safe, flat screen tv, etc. The only downside was there was a slight odor each time you came into the room but it wasn't too bad. Not sure if it is from the cleaning supplies.

Pool - we didn't really use the pool very often (why when the ocean is across the street!). They have an adult pool and a kids' pool as well as a small hot tub. The property is very well kept and the lounge chairs are super comfy - perfect for a late afternoon nap :-)

Bar - they do have a small bar that you can get all the different drinks you want. It was never really busy. Fridays they have a rum punch party so that was nice to be able to meet others at the resort.

Staff - the entire team at VDM is amazing. We really got to know all of them and they are just super nice. The front desk women - all super helpful to give you info on what to do, make bookings, etc. Marcel (bonjour!) is a great guy who helped us the first day to fix the batteries in the in-room safe. Always smiling and helpful. Alan, the Director, was most gracious as well and was always available if we had any questions. Overall, the staff at VDM really help make the place 5 stars.

Location - you can't beat the location. The beach is really just a couple of minutes to walk to. So it is really convenient. They also have someone attending the beach from VDM and they provide towels and water. We never had a problem as they seemed to be there early enough for us (by 9:30 or 10am). Just to be safe though we would bring the pool towels with us on days we went earlier. Right across the street is the Grace Bay Club. They have a great bar to hang out in the evenings (since the VDM bar is quiet and not open late). The restaurants are all mostly within walking distance or a short taxi ride (btw the way if you need to use a taxi often have them call 'Fingers' - great guy with lots of good info on the area). The grocery store and shops are within walking distance. I would only caution that you wouldn't walk very far at night because it isn't like a regular street front, you walk along areas that are bushy, dark, etc. But definitely safe during the day.

Negative - I only have 2 negative comments and they really wouldn't stop me from going back to VDM but they are worth mentioning. The internet connection is terrible. Very flaky. Whether using wireless or directly connected it was hit or miss on the speed. I would get to google and then search something. At that point it would hang. Or some days it was fine and I could use it no problem. So if you really, really need internet access while you are on vacation for work or whatever, you might want to think about other internet options.

The other negative comment is the shower head. I'm a little picky that I like a real shower, not water just dripping out softly. There was no setting to adjust so the pressure couldn't be changed. I was happy to have a real shower when I got home :-)

Overall we would highly recommend the VDM. We were very happy with our choice and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Elizabeth1972

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
NYC
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I stayed in a studio room for 5 nights last week with their off season special.

*The location is excellent and the price was even better considering the rates of the Grace Bay Club which is the beach-front resort directly in front of VIlla del Mar. Wide beach with crystal clear water. You are walking distance to the grocery store, sundries and numerous restaurants. If you don't want to drive (as I didn't) you won't feel stuck. But, if you want to see other parts of the island you might want to look into renting a car as taxis get expensive.

*The studio room is huge. Massive bathroom with shower and tub, king size bed (VDM needs to upgrade to higher quality sheets), table with 2 chairs, sofa and a lounger and then massive balcony with table and chairs. Kitchenette in the studios with sink, microwave and mini fridge. Washer & dryer too.

My contention with the hotel is with their amenities. What they offer per their website is not provided.

* Biggest problem for me was the beach service. Things were not set up until 10am, one day I could not get towels until 12! And that was after going back to the front desk to complain. First few days they provided bottle water, the last few, none. There were 5 umbrellas and 10 loungers at the beach. I was there during off-season, and for a couple of days I was the only person. However, on my last day all the chairs were in use. This is just bad management - buy some more chairs and towels!

* Wifi is provided in all of the rooms. It does not work. I was able to connect but webpages timed out before anything could load. Per below reviews, it seems that this is an issue that others have had.

*Fitness center is not state of the art. It is a tiny room with one treadmill, one elliptical and a set of free weights. I recommend a beach run or swim for your daily exercise instead.

*Tiki Bar. My rate specified a $100 credit. I used $10. 1) I don't drink so I only purchased soda. 2) They only provide drinks, no snacks 3) Good luck figuring out the hour(s) of operation. Try sometime between 3-5pm.

Even with the above issues, I would recommend VDM. For the price, room and location -its great. If you like a more hands-on experience you might not like the self-sufficiency of staying at the VDM.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank erica210
villadelmarGM, Manager at Villa del Mar, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for your candid feedback. By way of introduction to you and other readers of this area, and in particular vacationers interested in Villa del Mar, my name is Alan Lawley and I have just started as the Director of Operations & Development of Villa del Mar, a new position. Since its opening 2 years ago, VDM has done an excellent job of providing value in an excellent location and with outstanding accommodations that most would agree offer comfort and luxury. Because of our size (36 rooms) it is challenging to offer every level of amenities that other larger resorts provide - and our room rates reflect that. Without making excuses for the lapses you may have experienced, I will also point out that all resorts in TCI reduce a staff during the typically slow fall season and we also lower rates accordingly. Having said that, I can assure you that one of my top priorities is to continue to expand and improve the amenities we do offer – including the bar and beach services you mention. If you have seen our latest press release announcing my appointment, you will note that we will begin a Phase Two of VDM soon. With that will come an expansion of the amenities we have to offer our guests, including a larger exercise room and other common areas. In the meantime, I have taken your points, as well as input from other guest – and will use it to continue to improve the guest experience at Villa del Mar. I welcome your direct feedback to me, as I do with all guests who have stayed with us in the past or are considering VDM in the future.
Richardsville, Virginia
Reviewed September 27, 2010

My room at the Villa del Mar condos was well-appointed with all the luxurious touches you would appreciate at an upscale resort. The bed was so comfortable that it was hard to get up and start my day--I just wanted to sleep in for hours! The balconies was huge.The women at the front desk were all very nice, gave good advice on local events, and encouraged me to try activities I would not normally engage in (i.e. the Provo Ponies horseback riding excursion--try it, you'll love it!) The walk to the beach was really short and I would agree with the other posters that its about a 1 to 2 minute walk, tops. To get to the beach you would cut through the Grace Bay Club whose grounds are beautiful! There was construction going on at the Grace Bay Club grounds but it was never intrusive and didn't prevent access to the beach.

The condos are also within walking distance to most of the main shopping areas (Ports of Call and Salt Mills) in Provo. Personally, I didn't attempt to walk to these shops at night, not only because I was a solo traveller and had a very heightened awareness of safety, but because there are some dark, bushy areas that could serve as perfect hiding areas for robbers, etc. I took taxis in the evenings, which could add up pretty quickly. A 3 minute cab ride to a restaurant costed me $8 or $10. More than one person? Could be more.

Another important thing to remember about Provo is that it is expensive. Other posters have commented on this, and I've now seen it for myself! Arts and craft stores carry some really nice, locally produced items, but I thought they were a little overpriced. I'm all for supporting artists and compensating them for the talent and hard work, but I still felt some items were a tad expensive for what you get. The Graceway IGA near the condos packs some hefty price tags on items (i.e. $6 for a quart of milk, $8 for a bottle of juice, $5 for a box of Hot Pockets, etc.) There are some pricey but delicious restaurants in the vicinity--Coco Bistro, Mango Reef, and Hemingway's were some of the stand outs. Danny Buoy's was not that great. The best bang for the buck was the Salt Mills Cafe which had delicious food and reasonable prices.

If you travel during the off-season (late August through early/mid-November), be prepared to find some restaurants and shops closed, and certain tours/excursions either not operating or canceled because there weren't enough folks who signed up. I was disappointed when I couldn't get a sunset cruise on my last night because not enough people had signed up.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Villa del Mar. The benefits of visiting there during the off-season were that the two pools were not crowded and the condos and beach were very quiet and tranquil.The condos are very economical for the amenities you receive, and if you request a pool-view room on a high floor, you can get a decent view of the ocean! Apologies for the lengthy review...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank CanelaCaribena
Toronto
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed at Villa del Mar this past August and the resort was amazing, the service was excellent and the rooms were spacious and well appointed. The location was only a few feet from the most amazing beach that we have ever seen. The sand and surf will always be in our memories. We plan to retun with our parents this winter to enjoy the experience again. Thanks for your kindness and island hospitality.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanJH
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed in a two bedroom condo at the Villa del Mar for one week and it was amazing. Our condo had beautiful furnishings and the housekeeping was terrific. We had a full kitchen and it was stocked with everything we needed. There was a grocery store within walking distance, which was very convenient (but expensive). The garden areas surrounding the pool were extremely well maintained, thought the pool itself was slightly cloudy. The resort is a one minute walk to the beach and well worth it, as the resorts directly on the beach are priced much higher. The staff was very helpful, especially the nice gentleman who staffed the beach for the resort and Thea, who staffed the front desk. We picked Villa del Mar because of the reviews on TripAdvisor and were not disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank AJHAJH
2bestgirls
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Our stay at Villa del Mar was excellent. We stayed in a 2-room suite with kitchen and a t.v/den area, in addition to a spacios balcony, where we often sat to enjoy a starry night or family meals. We had everything we needed to make our vacation with 2 small children pleasant:

House-keeping came in daily (changing towels, making beds, cleaning dishes, ect) and left the rooms spotless. Additionally, the front desk staff were extremely helpful in setting up activities and reccomending restaurants ect.. Truely their warmth and friendliness was superb, making our trip even more memorable!

The suite was very comfortable (the beds were amazingly comfortable, they seemed to mold to your body), and the decor stylish and modern and clean. Most helpful was having the kitchen, with all the utensiles/plates/pots ect. It really had everything but the groceries. (which we bought at the Graceway Gourmet or IGA). I liked the fact that we could make breakfast/lunch on our own and just go out for dinner .

In itself the hotel was spacious and well-maintained and quiet. I say this because at one point a party of about 6-8 people had the suite next to ours, and I worried about noise waking the kids. However, not a sound went through the walls, so the good construction was appreciated in keeping our kids asleep!

We enjoyed the 2 pools and jacuzzi, and there were plenty of chairs/tables for loungeing and having pool-side drinks, even dinner.

The best part was that, per our research, this was the best bang for our buck, since we paid about $250 per night( for 4 people). Located in the heart of Grace Bay, we were literally minutes away from the best restaurants and bakeries and shops--so the one thing we sacrificed with Villa del Mar was an ocean view. (which we didn't exactly mind)

All in all, we loved our stay at Villa del Mar and hope to be back again soon to relax in the amazing hidden jewel that is Grace Bay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank melissatully
Providenciales
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Although I was pregnant and not feeling my best, I had such a wonderful experience! We stayed in a deluxe studio and it was beautiful! It had a mini bar, microwave, refrigerator jetted tub which was separate from the shower, travertine tiles, dinning table, sofa set, washer dryer, reasonable closet space, and a huge balcony.

The staff I came into contact with were very helful and courteous!

My husband and I were mesmorized at the size and decor of the room and our son really enjoyed taking bubble baths and playing on the spacious varanda!

We all can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple