“Very pleasant, comfortable stay at the Villa del Mar”
Review of Villa del Mar

Villa del Mar
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed September 27, 2010

My room at the Villa del Mar condos was well-appointed with all the luxurious touches you would appreciate at an upscale resort. The bed was so comfortable that it was hard to get up and start my day--I just wanted to sleep in for hours! The balconies was huge.The women at the front desk were all very nice, gave good advice on local events, and encouraged me to try activities I would not normally engage in (i.e. the Provo Ponies horseback riding excursion--try it, you'll love it!) The walk to the beach was really short and I would agree with the other posters that its about a 1 to 2 minute walk, tops. To get to the beach you would cut through the Grace Bay Club whose grounds are beautiful! There was construction going on at the Grace Bay Club grounds but it was never intrusive and didn't prevent access to the beach.

The condos are also within walking distance to most of the main shopping areas (Ports of Call and Salt Mills) in Provo. Personally, I didn't attempt to walk to these shops at night, not only because I was a solo traveller and had a very heightened awareness of safety, but because there are some dark, bushy areas that could serve as perfect hiding areas for robbers, etc. I took taxis in the evenings, which could add up pretty quickly. A 3 minute cab ride to a restaurant costed me $8 or $10. More than one person? Could be more.

Another important thing to remember about Provo is that it is expensive. Other posters have commented on this, and I've now seen it for myself! Arts and craft stores carry some really nice, locally produced items, but I thought they were a little overpriced. I'm all for supporting artists and compensating them for the talent and hard work, but I still felt some items were a tad expensive for what you get. The Graceway IGA near the condos packs some hefty price tags on items (i.e. $6 for a quart of milk, $8 for a bottle of juice, $5 for a box of Hot Pockets, etc.) There are some pricey but delicious restaurants in the vicinity--Coco Bistro, Mango Reef, and Hemingway's were some of the stand outs. Danny Buoy's was not that great. The best bang for the buck was the Salt Mills Cafe which had delicious food and reasonable prices.

If you travel during the off-season (late August through early/mid-November), be prepared to find some restaurants and shops closed, and certain tours/excursions either not operating or canceled because there weren't enough folks who signed up. I was disappointed when I couldn't get a sunset cruise on my last night because not enough people had signed up.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Villa del Mar. The benefits of visiting there during the off-season were that the two pools were not crowded and the condos and beach were very quiet and tranquil.The condos are very economical for the amenities you receive, and if you request a pool-view room on a high floor, you can get a decent view of the ocean! Apologies for the lengthy review...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank CanelaCaribena

Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed at Villa del Mar this past August and the resort was amazing, the service was excellent and the rooms were spacious and well appointed. The location was only a few feet from the most amazing beach that we have ever seen. The sand and surf will always be in our memories. We plan to retun with our parents this winter to enjoy the experience again. Thanks for your kindness and island hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusanJH
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed in a two bedroom condo at the Villa del Mar for one week and it was amazing. Our condo had beautiful furnishings and the housekeeping was terrific. We had a full kitchen and it was stocked with everything we needed. There was a grocery store within walking distance, which was very convenient (but expensive). The garden areas surrounding the pool were extremely well maintained, thought the pool itself was slightly cloudy. The resort is a one minute walk to the beach and well worth it, as the resorts directly on the beach are priced much higher. The staff was very helpful, especially the nice gentleman who staffed the beach for the resort and Thea, who staffed the front desk. We picked Villa del Mar because of the reviews on TripAdvisor and were not disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank AJHAJH
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Our stay at Villa del Mar was excellent. We stayed in a 2-room suite with kitchen and a t.v/den area, in addition to a spacios balcony, where we often sat to enjoy a starry night or family meals. We had everything we needed to make our vacation with 2 small children pleasant:

House-keeping came in daily (changing towels, making beds, cleaning dishes, ect) and left the rooms spotless. Additionally, the front desk staff were extremely helpful in setting up activities and reccomending restaurants ect.. Truely their warmth and friendliness was superb, making our trip even more memorable!

The suite was very comfortable (the beds were amazingly comfortable, they seemed to mold to your body), and the decor stylish and modern and clean. Most helpful was having the kitchen, with all the utensiles/plates/pots ect. It really had everything but the groceries. (which we bought at the Graceway Gourmet or IGA). I liked the fact that we could make breakfast/lunch on our own and just go out for dinner .

In itself the hotel was spacious and well-maintained and quiet. I say this because at one point a party of about 6-8 people had the suite next to ours, and I worried about noise waking the kids. However, not a sound went through the walls, so the good construction was appreciated in keeping our kids asleep!

We enjoyed the 2 pools and jacuzzi, and there were plenty of chairs/tables for loungeing and having pool-side drinks, even dinner.

The best part was that, per our research, this was the best bang for our buck, since we paid about $250 per night( for 4 people). Located in the heart of Grace Bay, we were literally minutes away from the best restaurants and bakeries and shops--so the one thing we sacrificed with Villa del Mar was an ocean view. (which we didn't exactly mind)

All in all, we loved our stay at Villa del Mar and hope to be back again soon to relax in the amazing hidden jewel that is Grace Bay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank melissatully
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Although I was pregnant and not feeling my best, I had such a wonderful experience! We stayed in a deluxe studio and it was beautiful! It had a mini bar, microwave, refrigerator jetted tub which was separate from the shower, travertine tiles, dinning table, sofa set, washer dryer, reasonable closet space, and a huge balcony.

The staff I came into contact with were very helful and courteous!

My husband and I were mesmorized at the size and decor of the room and our son really enjoyed taking bubble baths and playing on the spacious varanda!

We all can't wait to go back!

1  Thank shorty91
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We had a great room at Villa Del Mar for our 4 night/5 day trip in July. The room was just as advertised on their website. A small kitchenette, that came in very handy for breakfast, nice outdoor furniture and a great bed and bathroom. The bed was very comfortable! We had a first floor room but never heard the kids playing at the pool. The pools were very nice, although warm, but they can't do anything about the sun beating down. The staff was very nice. They have complementary rum punch from 5:30-6:30pm on Fridays, which was a pleasant surprise to us. All the drinks we had were very good. The beach chairs, umbrellas, towels and service was also very nice. On our last night we asked about checking out later and they said it wasn't a problem. Just check out when you are ready. We checked out around 1pm...very nice and no extra charge. We did not mind the 1 minute walk to the beach and enjoyed the fact that it was more like a condo then a hotel room. This hotel is a great price and a very nice place to stay.

1  Thank javaloving
Reviewed July 22, 2010

This was a perfect place for us and our budget. Loved everything about it. The pool, location to the beach (1min - you cross a small street and walk along a path), having a fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee machine. Location to the stores, restaurants and casino. 2 pools and one hot tub (jets need to be worked on though). Graceway groceries was around the coner and they have a excellent selection (prices are a little high). Room was clean, and modern, flat screen, granit counters. Has all the personal ammenities a hotel room would have. No restaurant on site. A bar, but you did sometimes have to go look for someone. BBBQ on grounds! Great for our home cooking from Graceway groceries. Internet connection was slow and frustrating at times. There is a spot on the beach with chairs/tables and umbrellas for Villa Del Mar guests.

2  Thank BCMayne