My husband and I arrived home August 30th after spending six nights at Villa Del Mar. We had a wonderful time! The hotel is secluded and there's little traffic around. The beach is literally across the street. Yes, you do have to walk through the grounds of another hotel; however, no one knows what resort you're staying at and, honestly, no one cares.
We originally booked a studio suite. However, I smelled mold when I entered the room and later noticed there was mold. I'm allergic to mold and had prescription medication and the EpiPen to prove it. The concierge was very understanding and we were moved to a two bedroom suite. It is very difficult to keep mold from growing in such hot and humid conditions and I wouldn't mind staying in the room if I wasn't allergic to mold considering it's not long term. We were upgraded and didn't have to pay a cent more!
At the beach you will be greeted by the attendant, who is sweet and attentive. He will guide you to all the places and things worth experiencing. Even though various resorts share the beach, there were no crowds! The beach is absolutely beautiful! The weather is HOT! Hotter than heat waves in the U.S. Carry plenty of sunscreen and water wherever you go. My husband and I had a book-bag that we placed water bottles inside and carried everywhere we went.
Everything is expensive and you are better off going to IGA or Graceway supermarket, not far from the resort, and buy food to take. For example, we bought cheese, ham, water, orange juice, butter, bread, fruits, and ate mostly in. We ate once at CoCo Bistro, which was very expensive, twice at Sharkbite, typical American prices and food, and Jimmy's Dive Bar, also typical American food and prices. We highly recommend Jimmy's Dive Bar and Sharkbite if you're looking for affordable prices.
We visited Taylor Bay, Sapodilla Bay, Turtle Cove, and a few other hidden treasures. Taylor Bay was absolutely amazing and beautiful. It's a long stretch of beach with water that hits you at the knees for miles. However, it is secluded and poses the danger of locals robbing tourists. But, be aware of you surroundings. It was worth taking a ride on Chalk Sound Drive and discovering little inlets. There is a high point on Chalk Sound Drive in which you can see the island and take beautiful pictures. We did not go to Malcolm Road due to several robberies occurring there.
Definitely rent a car! You will have to drive on the left side but you get used to it quickly. Stop signs are almost non existent there (locals don't stop at stop signs unless necessary!). When you rent a car, you will be given the option of either filling up on gas before returning the car, or the rental company charging you for a full tank of gas. Don't agree to this! You will not spend a whole tank of gas. We were there for six nights and drove every single day and the tank was at half before we returned the car. Gas prices range from $5.50 to $6 a gallon.
Everyone at the hotel were very nice and helpful. We could not have asked for a better vacation. The price was reasonable compared to other resorts. If you are looking to spend time at the beach and explore the island, I don't see why you need to pay $1k to 2k more on other resorts when Villa Del Mar has all you need.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa del Mar is the perfect island retreat for a vacation filled with endless sunshine and delightful diversions. Located on Providenciales (a.k.a. Provo), the most developed island in the Turks and Caicos chain, Villa del Mar is just steps from the 12 mile strip of sugary fine sand and cerulean blue water known as Grace Bay Beach, internationally recognized as one of the world's top 10 beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, West Indies, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Villa del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Del Mar Hotel Providenciales
- Hotel Del Mar
- Del Mar Hotel
- Villa Del Mar Turks And Caicos/Providenciales