“Excellent and reasonably priced!”
Review of Villa del Mar

Villa del Mar
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just spent 7 nights at the Villa del Mar - this place is simply awesome! It's not right on the beach but it's only about a 2-minute walk to the beach. The gardeners keep the grounds in excellent condition and the pool is child-friendly. Rooms are well furnished with good quality furniture and kitchenware – the beds are so comfy!!
The staff were friendly and very helpful! The housekeeping staff did an awesome job of cleaning our rooms everyday – we were a large family with children! There are two good quality barbecues that you could use, located in the pool area near the bar. The Graceway Gourmet supermarket is about a 15-minute walk and you feel totally safe walking outside the resort. They are well stocked, but on the pricey side. The Caicos Bakery, run by a friendly and polite lady, has some wonderful pastries, quiche, éclairs, breads etc. and is located about a 10-min walk from VDM. They sell out pretty fast, so try and get there early. VDM serves some of these pastries for breakfast – loved the chocolate croissants! There is no restaurant at VDM, but lots of good restaurants within walking distance.
Service on the beach was impeccable! The friendly twins Lerone and Kerone are just superb! They set us up with beach towels, loungers and cold water and even brought out beach toys for our children. Also, they will even bring you a drink or meal from the nearby café. They have sufficient lounge chairs – so you don’t have to scramble every morning to reserve one.
We rented a van for a day from Grace Bay Rentals and visited Taylor Bay - great for the kids! Some streets have no street signs, this can be a challenge but you eventually find your way – it is a small island!
VDM, we will be back!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lpwm
There are newer reviews for Villa del Mar

Reviewed December 2, 2012

A great place for families! The rooms were beautiful, comparable to some 5 star resorts I've stayed at in the past. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The location was the best part. Depending on which direction you went a quick walk would get you to the beach, tiki bar, swimming pool, grocery store, bakery, restaurants etc.
I usually never go back to the same place twice because I like to explore new places but this is one place I wouldn't mind coming back to again and again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank M_squared3
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My best friend and I spent a week at Villa Del Mar mid-July and it was definitely the right choice. We booked a deluxe studio room through Val at turksandcaicosreservations.com, where we received great service and a great deal on the room.

Room and Grounds

The room was accurately depicted on the website, and was spacious and comfortable. Housekeeping did a great job, and the room was always clean by the time we came back from the beach. One minor issue was that you can see the porch light shining through the shuttered wall between the bathroom and the sleeping area, so sleep quality was not that great for me. The property was beautifully landscaped and well kept.

Staff

What really added to our stay was the staff. The office staff were polite and helpful, and the housekeeping and groundskeeping staff were pleasant. Lerone and Kerone, the beach attendants, were so sweet and welcoming. I enjoyed chatting with them daily. Captain Bill, the bartender, had a way about him that makes you feel like you have known him forever. I do wish the poolside bar would stay open later, as my friend and I truly enjoyed our conversations with Bill, though by the time we would get out to the bar after dinner, it would be close to closing time. I was also impressed that Alan, the manager, was out interacting with the guests. The staff members are a definite asset to this place.

Although there wasn't a restaurant on site, there are many dining choices within walking distance. Following is a list of the places we tried:

* Seaside Cafe at Ocean Club West: Reasonably priced, had great burgers and fries. I loved their avocado dressing.

* Rickey's Flamingo: About a 15 minute walk east on beach. I had read rave reviews about their curried grouper from Trip Advisor, but it wasn't on the menu. I asked if I could order it and they happily obliged. It was my favorite meal of the trip. The chicken quesadilla was very tasty. Prices reasonable as well.

* Caicos Cafe: Overall the food was solid, with the goat cheese tart being amazing.

* The Patty Place: Inexpensive tasty meal, good ice cream, friendly staff.

* Upstairs: The eggplant and sundried tomato pizza was delicious.

* Graceway Gourmet: About a 10 minute walk and had a great deli with several options. Look at the board on the wall to the right of the deli counter as it had daily specials listed. There was also a fresh salad bar and inexpensive cold canned soda.

Car Rental and Exploring

We rented a car for one day from Grace Bay Car Rental. The process was so easy, as they dropped off and picked up the car at VDM. The steering wheel was on the right which was initially awkward, but we actually found this made it easier to drive on the left side of the road. The roads were overall easy to navigate, although a couple of streets didn't have signs. We had to pull over once to figure out what we did wrong, and immediately a local pulled over and offered assistance. Driving around the island was the highlight of the trip. I had stayed at Beaches on Provo once before, but had only left the resort once to do an excursion. I am so glad I read the Providenciales travel forum before this trip. I HIGHLY recommend doing so, as the forum is a wealth of information, and gave me the confidence to get out and explore the island. Because of the forum we discovered Turtle Tail, which just took my breath away. We also drove out to Chalk Sound, another incredibly beautiful area. We ate lunch at Las Brisas that sits on Chalk Sound, where I had a great pork sandwich. Las Brisas is closed on Tuesdays, so keep that in mind if planning to eat there.

Overall Impression of Providenciales and VDM

Even though we were traveling without our husbands on this trip, my best friend and I felt completely safe at VDM, walking to restaurants, and driving around the island. I have read some reviews where people have commented that the locals are rude, unfriendly, etc. We just didn't find this to be the case. Overall I would consider many of the locals reserved, but more than willing to engage in conversation if you genuinely want to talk with them. We felt welcome and comfortable wherever we went. After this trip, I have to say that Providenciales is my favorite island. Even though the island itself isn't lush or very tropical feeling, the combination of drop dead gorgeous water, miles of soft sand beaches for strolls, and just an overall laid back atmosphere make this a place I will return to again and again.

Staying at VDM was a great choice for us and I highly recommend staying there as long as you have realistic expectations. It doesn't sit beachfront, and there may not be a restaurant on site, endless activities, or other five star resort amenities. However, what you do get is a nicely decorated and clean room, an efficient, pleasant staff, a beautiful beach just a couple of minutes walk away, a place to lie on the beach without the hassle of rising at the crack of dawn to obtain a spot, and just an overall pleasing and relaxing atmosphere. The value of this resort, especially if you get an off-season special, can't be beat. As a matter of fact, I just booked VDM for next May and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tgsmom
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel with access to beach through Grace Bay Club. Fix your own meals in the rooms kitchen or lots of easy walk to restaurants . Anacona is across the street & features the must see infinity bar. Villa Del Mar does have a continental breakfast that is OK for a day or two. Beach service is some of the friendliest & best ever. Most of the staff very friendly & accommodating but a several need to work elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank mikethepike67
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We just got back from our trip to Villa del Mar and it was amazing. The location is great being in the heart of Grace Bay. It was a very short walk from the resort to the beach, through the Grace Bay Club to the beach. It is so nice that you can still visit the bars of all the high end resorts along the beach, but not have to pay the higher prices to stay there. There are fabulous restaurants all within walking distance. The fully equipped kitchen had all the amenities that you needed to eat in for those that do not want to eat out every night. The grocery store is also within walking distance. The beds were amazingly comfortable. The staff was so friendly, especially Captain Bill at the pool bar. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Steven W
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We selected Villa del Mar after extensive research online for our first trip to Turks and Caicos. We have no regrets. The apartment was large, well equipped, and conveniently located less than 5 minutes walk (even with an infant and his toys!) from the beach. The complex has one large pool and one 'children's' pool. Parking was available every day right outside the apartment. We cooked several times inside the apartment and twice used the nice gas Grills. The complex is a 5 minute drive from a decent supermarket, though the larger IGA (10 minute drive) is less expensive and has a better selection of food. There are numerous restaurants an easy walk away. We look forward to our next trip and would likely choose Villa del Mar again.

Room Tip: Having an infant we enjoyed the ground floor so we didn't have to haul his stuff up and down sta...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank HappyNYTraveller
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in October. This was our second time staying at Villa del Mar so we obviously had a great experience the first time. October is the quiet season for Turks and Caicos and the hotel was VERY quiet. We were the only people at the pool at times. Several of the restaurants that we wanted to go to were closed. Luckily for us, the hotel staff was able to confirm which ones were open and they were able to give us great recommendations. They were so helpful to us. Our room was immaculate and housekeeping was great. Villa del Mar was just as great this time as it was the first!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple