“Excellent Value and Friendly Staff”
Review of Villa del Mar

Villa del Mar
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My best friend and I spent a week at Villa Del Mar mid-July and it was definitely the right choice. We booked a deluxe studio room through Val at turksandcaicosreservations.com, where we received great service and a great deal on the room.

Room and Grounds

The room was accurately depicted on the website, and was spacious and comfortable. Housekeeping did a great job, and the room was always clean by the time we came back from the beach. One minor issue was that you can see the porch light shining through the shuttered wall between the bathroom and the sleeping area, so sleep quality was not that great for me. The property was beautifully landscaped and well kept.

Staff

What really added to our stay was the staff. The office staff were polite and helpful, and the housekeeping and groundskeeping staff were pleasant. Lerone and Kerone, the beach attendants, were so sweet and welcoming. I enjoyed chatting with them daily. Captain Bill, the bartender, had a way about him that makes you feel like you have known him forever. I do wish the poolside bar would stay open later, as my friend and I truly enjoyed our conversations with Bill, though by the time we would get out to the bar after dinner, it would be close to closing time. I was also impressed that Alan, the manager, was out interacting with the guests. The staff members are a definite asset to this place.

Although there wasn't a restaurant on site, there are many dining choices within walking distance. Following is a list of the places we tried:

* Seaside Cafe at Ocean Club West: Reasonably priced, had great burgers and fries. I loved their avocado dressing.

* Rickey's Flamingo: About a 15 minute walk east on beach. I had read rave reviews about their curried grouper from Trip Advisor, but it wasn't on the menu. I asked if I could order it and they happily obliged. It was my favorite meal of the trip. The chicken quesadilla was very tasty. Prices reasonable as well.

* Caicos Cafe: Overall the food was solid, with the goat cheese tart being amazing.

* The Patty Place: Inexpensive tasty meal, good ice cream, friendly staff.

* Upstairs: The eggplant and sundried tomato pizza was delicious.

* Graceway Gourmet: About a 10 minute walk and had a great deli with several options. Look at the board on the wall to the right of the deli counter as it had daily specials listed. There was also a fresh salad bar and inexpensive cold canned soda.

Car Rental and Exploring

We rented a car for one day from Grace Bay Car Rental. The process was so easy, as they dropped off and picked up the car at VDM. The steering wheel was on the right which was initially awkward, but we actually found this made it easier to drive on the left side of the road. The roads were overall easy to navigate, although a couple of streets didn't have signs. We had to pull over once to figure out what we did wrong, and immediately a local pulled over and offered assistance. Driving around the island was the highlight of the trip. I had stayed at Beaches on Provo once before, but had only left the resort once to do an excursion. I am so glad I read the Providenciales travel forum before this trip. I HIGHLY recommend doing so, as the forum is a wealth of information, and gave me the confidence to get out and explore the island. Because of the forum we discovered Turtle Tail, which just took my breath away. We also drove out to Chalk Sound, another incredibly beautiful area. We ate lunch at Las Brisas that sits on Chalk Sound, where I had a great pork sandwich. Las Brisas is closed on Tuesdays, so keep that in mind if planning to eat there.

Overall Impression of Providenciales and VDM

Even though we were traveling without our husbands on this trip, my best friend and I felt completely safe at VDM, walking to restaurants, and driving around the island. I have read some reviews where people have commented that the locals are rude, unfriendly, etc. We just didn't find this to be the case. Overall I would consider many of the locals reserved, but more than willing to engage in conversation if you genuinely want to talk with them. We felt welcome and comfortable wherever we went. After this trip, I have to say that Providenciales is my favorite island. Even though the island itself isn't lush or very tropical feeling, the combination of drop dead gorgeous water, miles of soft sand beaches for strolls, and just an overall laid back atmosphere make this a place I will return to again and again.

Staying at VDM was a great choice for us and I highly recommend staying there as long as you have realistic expectations. It doesn't sit beachfront, and there may not be a restaurant on site, endless activities, or other five star resort amenities. However, what you do get is a nicely decorated and clean room, an efficient, pleasant staff, a beautiful beach just a couple of minutes walk away, a place to lie on the beach without the hassle of rising at the crack of dawn to obtain a spot, and just an overall pleasing and relaxing atmosphere. The value of this resort, especially if you get an off-season special, can't be beat. As a matter of fact, I just booked VDM for next May and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tgsmom

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel with access to beach through Grace Bay Club. Fix your own meals in the rooms kitchen or lots of easy walk to restaurants . Anacona is across the street & features the must see infinity bar. Villa Del Mar does have a continental breakfast that is OK for a day or two. Beach service is some of the friendliest & best ever. Most of the staff very friendly & accommodating but a several need to work elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank mikethepike67
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We just got back from our trip to Villa del Mar and it was amazing. The location is great being in the heart of Grace Bay. It was a very short walk from the resort to the beach, through the Grace Bay Club to the beach. It is so nice that you can still visit the bars of all the high end resorts along the beach, but not have to pay the higher prices to stay there. There are fabulous restaurants all within walking distance. The fully equipped kitchen had all the amenities that you needed to eat in for those that do not want to eat out every night. The grocery store is also within walking distance. The beds were amazingly comfortable. The staff was so friendly, especially Captain Bill at the pool bar. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Steven W
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We selected Villa del Mar after extensive research online for our first trip to Turks and Caicos. We have no regrets. The apartment was large, well equipped, and conveniently located less than 5 minutes walk (even with an infant and his toys!) from the beach. The complex has one large pool and one 'children's' pool. Parking was available every day right outside the apartment. We cooked several times inside the apartment and twice used the nice gas Grills. The complex is a 5 minute drive from a decent supermarket, though the larger IGA (10 minute drive) is less expensive and has a better selection of food. There are numerous restaurants an easy walk away. We look forward to our next trip and would likely choose Villa del Mar again.

Room Tip: Having an infant we enjoyed the ground floor so we didn't have to haul his stuff up and down sta...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank HappyNYTraveller
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in October. This was our second time staying at Villa del Mar so we obviously had a great experience the first time. October is the quiet season for Turks and Caicos and the hotel was VERY quiet. We were the only people at the pool at times. Several of the restaurants that we wanted to go to were closed. Luckily for us, the hotel staff was able to confirm which ones were open and they were able to give us great recommendations. They were so helpful to us. Our room was immaculate and housekeeping was great. Villa del Mar was just as great this time as it was the first!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marianne13
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We enjoyed our time at this hotel. They were friendly and were quick to act upon our requests.
Our room had a balcony/patio area that led to the pool area. We kept that door closed because even with the screen door, mosquitoes got into the room rather easily.
The beach is not right off this property. You have to walk across the street (not a busy one) and walk through the Grace Bay Hotel property.
There is an area on the beach for Villa del Mar guests and the workers at beach side are very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheries K
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I just returned from a stay at Villa del Mar with my husband and we really enjoyed it. The value for the location and accommodation is excellent! The resort is technically not on the beach but it is right behind a resort that is on the beach (Grace Bay Club), but the beach access is so close, and a beautiful walk through Grace Bay Club, that it's no issue at all. And the best part is the price. I believe Grace Bay Club rates start around $500/night but Villa del Mar is around $200/night for basically the same location!! And even better was a flash sale that I stumbled upon through jettsetter.com and got an amazing rate of $130/night! With continental breakfast included! Now Grace Bay Club does have more to offer in the way of amenities but for us Villa del Mar fit the bill just fine.

The room was gorgeous, very large, and spotlessly clean. We stayed in what I believe is the studio (there are multiple bedrooms as well). Our studio had the most comfortable king bed I have ever slept in. A full size pull out couch, a kitchenette, a table and chairs area, a huge bathroom, 2 closets and in room washer/dryer! With detergent!! The kitchenette consisted of a nice little area with a granite counter and dark wood cabinets, a mini fridge, toaster oven, coffee maker and sink. In the cabinets was a really nice set of dishes, servewear and flatware. There was also a wine bottle and beer bottle opener. The coffee area was stocked with regular and decaf Wolfgang Puck coffee, which was delicious, as well as sugars and non dairy creamer. We went to the IGA and Graceway Gourmet to get items to make sandwiches, mixed drinks, coffee creamer, etc. and it was great to have that area for those items.

I loved the decor style of the room. It was very upscale...they must have had a great designer. The bathroom was so spacious with a shower, separate tub with a window area that opens up into the room. More than enough space in the cabinets. There was a hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and safe in the room. The safe was large enough to hold our laptop, DSLR camera, lenses, video camera and other little odds and ends.

Our room had a huge balcony with a large round table and four chairs as well as one chaise lounger. They seemed like really high quality pieces also. We had a view of the pool (I think all rooms do) and it was very nice.

The housekeeper kept our room very clean and full of clean towels and a perfectly made bed. She was done every day by 11am.

There are two pools and a hot tub with very nice chaise loungers and umbrellas around them. There are always staff members around taking care of the property which is a great sign. Every day they put new terry cloth covers over the chaise lounge even though it was slow season and there was rarely any people at the pools. Because it was slow season the bar near the pool was closed so we can't comment on that.

Continental breakfast was included. It was put out in the lobby every morning and consisted of bagels, pastries, fruit, coffee, juice and cereal. Everything was always really good except the cereal in the mini boxes...it was stale the one day we tried it.

I have to mention a staff member...I think his name is Israel. He was the NICEST man. His famous last words to us whenever we bumped into him were "as long as you are happy, I am happy" :) On our last day he thanked us for choosing Villa del Mar in such a heartfelt way. It really made us feel appreciated and welcome. All of the staff we interacted with were nice. We even got to meet the Director, Alan. Even though he seemed very busy he always stopped to ask how our stay was going or to give a recommendation of a local place to grab a drink and snack.

There are no restaurants on this property but there are plenty in walking distance and if you rent a car even more options. Staying at this place felt partly like a resort/hotel and partly like we were renting a villa from someone. I say that because there was no real concierge. The ladies at the front desk were helpful but for example, I asked if a certain restaurant needed reservations. The desk staffer said they do. Then I asked if the call was free from the room and she said no, it's $1 per minute. I expected her to offer to call for us but when it didn't happen I figured that maybe this place doesn't work like that. I'm still unsure of the extent of the service, but really, it was no big deal. But it's not like a resort that has a designated concierge desk.

One thing that was a little confusing was the service on the beach. When we checked in, the desk staffer said to look for the guy in the blue shirt on the beach at their stand and he would get us whatever we needed. We never saw him. There was a cooler full of fresh cold water and cups and fresh towels so we didn't really need anything else (we made our own drinks in a thermos that we brought from home to take to the beach). Maybe he's more available during high season? I'm not sure, but again, no problem for us.

We highly recommend staying at Villa del Mar for the value, location and accommodations. It was really great.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple