My best friend and I spent a week at Villa Del Mar mid-July and it was definitely the right choice. We booked a deluxe studio room through Val at turksandcaicosreservations.com, where we received great service and a great deal on the room.
Room and Grounds
The room was accurately depicted on the website, and was spacious and comfortable. Housekeeping did a great job, and the room was always clean by the time we came back from the beach. One minor issue was that you can see the porch light shining through the shuttered wall between the bathroom and the sleeping area, so sleep quality was not that great for me. The property was beautifully landscaped and well kept.
What really added to our stay was the staff. The office staff were polite and helpful, and the housekeeping and groundskeeping staff were pleasant. Lerone and Kerone, the beach attendants, were so sweet and welcoming. I enjoyed chatting with them daily. Captain Bill, the bartender, had a way about him that makes you feel like you have known him forever. I do wish the poolside bar would stay open later, as my friend and I truly enjoyed our conversations with Bill, though by the time we would get out to the bar after dinner, it would be close to closing time. I was also impressed that Alan, the manager, was out interacting with the guests. The staff members are a definite asset to this place.
Although there wasn't a restaurant on site, there are many dining choices within walking distance. Following is a list of the places we tried:
* Seaside Cafe at Ocean Club West: Reasonably priced, had great burgers and fries. I loved their avocado dressing.
* Rickey's Flamingo: About a 15 minute walk east on beach. I had read rave reviews about their curried grouper from Trip Advisor, but it wasn't on the menu. I asked if I could order it and they happily obliged. It was my favorite meal of the trip. The chicken quesadilla was very tasty. Prices reasonable as well.
* Caicos Cafe: Overall the food was solid, with the goat cheese tart being amazing.
* The Patty Place: Inexpensive tasty meal, good ice cream, friendly staff.
* Upstairs: The eggplant and sundried tomato pizza was delicious.
* Graceway Gourmet: About a 10 minute walk and had a great deli with several options. Look at the board on the wall to the right of the deli counter as it had daily specials listed. There was also a fresh salad bar and inexpensive cold canned soda.
Car Rental and Exploring
We rented a car for one day from Grace Bay Car Rental. The process was so easy, as they dropped off and picked up the car at VDM. The steering wheel was on the right which was initially awkward, but we actually found this made it easier to drive on the left side of the road. The roads were overall easy to navigate, although a couple of streets didn't have signs. We had to pull over once to figure out what we did wrong, and immediately a local pulled over and offered assistance. Driving around the island was the highlight of the trip. I had stayed at Beaches on Provo once before, but had only left the resort once to do an excursion. I am so glad I read the Providenciales travel forum before this trip. I HIGHLY recommend doing so, as the forum is a wealth of information, and gave me the confidence to get out and explore the island. Because of the forum we discovered Turtle Tail, which just took my breath away. We also drove out to Chalk Sound, another incredibly beautiful area. We ate lunch at Las Brisas that sits on Chalk Sound, where I had a great pork sandwich. Las Brisas is closed on Tuesdays, so keep that in mind if planning to eat there.
Overall Impression of Providenciales and VDM
Even though we were traveling without our husbands on this trip, my best friend and I felt completely safe at VDM, walking to restaurants, and driving around the island. I have read some reviews where people have commented that the locals are rude, unfriendly, etc. We just didn't find this to be the case. Overall I would consider many of the locals reserved, but more than willing to engage in conversation if you genuinely want to talk with them. We felt welcome and comfortable wherever we went. After this trip, I have to say that Providenciales is my favorite island. Even though the island itself isn't lush or very tropical feeling, the combination of drop dead gorgeous water, miles of soft sand beaches for strolls, and just an overall laid back atmosphere make this a place I will return to again and again.
Staying at VDM was a great choice for us and I highly recommend staying there as long as you have realistic expectations. It doesn't sit beachfront, and there may not be a restaurant on site, endless activities, or other five star resort amenities. However, what you do get is a nicely decorated and clean room, an efficient, pleasant staff, a beautiful beach just a couple of minutes walk away, a place to lie on the beach without the hassle of rising at the crack of dawn to obtain a spot, and just an overall pleasing and relaxing atmosphere. The value of this resort, especially if you get an off-season special, can't be beat. As a matter of fact, I just booked VDM for next May and cannot wait to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa del Mar is the perfect island retreat for a vacation filled with endless sunshine and delightful diversions. Located on Providenciales (a.k.a. Provo), the most developed island in the Turks and Caicos chain, Villa del Mar is just steps from the 12 mile strip of sugary fine sand and cerulean blue water known as Grace Bay Beach, internationally recognized as one of the world's top 10 beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, West Indies, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Villa del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Del Mar Hotel Providenciales
- Hotel Del Mar
- Del Mar Hotel
- Villa Del Mar Turks And Caicos/Providenciales