“Welcome to Turks & Caicos”
Review of Villa del Mar

Villa del Mar
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Nova Scotia
“Welcome to Turks & Caicos”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

...and welcome we were, by the warm and friendly staff of Villa Del Mar. The studio suite was bright and modern and very clean, with a kitchenette, king size bed, bathroom with soaker tub and a deep balcony where you could catch a breeze and enjoy your breakfast. The grounds are immaculate and the pools and hot tub crystal clear, we swam every day and evening and enjoyed coconuts and drinks by the pool. There is also the beautiful white sand beach on Grace Bay, with service, sun beds, and loungers to enjoy. If you are on a budget, the Villa del Mar is priced reasonably without losing the luxury - try the off season you'll enjoy more privacy as we did. We had the trip of a life time and really got the feel of the Carribean. Thank you for making our week in paradise wonderful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Laverne G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Yonkers, NY
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I traveled here with my wife and my 3 year old daughter.We were very happy with the room and we loved the beach.I just wouldn't return to that country as its very expensive and i didn't feel i got my moneys worth.The beach is truly amazing i just need activities to do other than snorkeling and i wish i had done my homework before booking this place.Oh well it was nice just not nice enough to declare bankruptcy and im talking about the Turks not the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank leo_travel_agent
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed at the Villa del Mar as part of a wedding group. A friend and I shared a one bedroom suite and thought the room was wonderful. Small kitchenette, washer/ dryer, soaking tub and separate shower, king bed, tv and DVD player, walk out patio to the pool.

We had a wedding rate, but the room was still not cheap. No room service or food on site, though restaurants across the street at other resorts are easily accessible. A pool bar and happy hour were nice though. The complimentary breakfast was pretty limited, however, and I preferred to get breakfast elsewhere.

Small on-site gym, though probably better just to run on the beach or sidewalk. Across the street from the Grace Bay resort where more amenities can be found.

The staff was friendly and the rooms were comfortable and quiet. Not directly on the beach but the pools are very nice and the beach is about 5 min walk away.

• Stayed April 2012
Upper Marlboro
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This was our first time to T&C, and we were on somewhat of a budget, so I wanted to find a place that was reasonably priced but still nice. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor, and settled on Villa del Mar. When we arrived, we were greeted with smiles and rum punch, which was quite tasty. We got a studio room, which was perfect. The decor was modern and very nice. The room was huge, clean, bright, facing the pool, and everything we could've asked for. The bed was very comfortable, and there was a soaking tub and separate shower, a kitchenette, and a huge balcony. I remember someone mentioning there is no dresser to put your clothes, but we don't use them anyway, so that didn't matter to us. We didn't use the pool, but it looked great. There are 2 pools and I think there was a jacuzzi. They also had a small fitness center. The tiki bar was very cute, and Nadine was great. We didn't get a chance to say goodbye to her, but she was a wealth of info, and made some great drinks. Overall, I loved Villa del Mar, and the only thing I can complain about is the bright light outside the door, which was on all night and came in thru the bathroom window, and that they didn't have a restaurant, but there was plenty of food in the local area; there's a grocery store in walking distance, and restaurants at the resorts across the street, as well as on the main strip. Villa del Mar is not right on the beach, but it's only 2-minute walk (if that), and for the price, it's well worth it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank msbrown76
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Friendly helpful staff. The rooms were nicely appointed. The pool area was private. Close to everything. Beach access with a Villa Del Mar section. It's the perfect place to stay. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Halifax
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Villa del Mar is a wonderful place to stay while visiting Provenciales. The team is friendly & helpful. The property is very clean & has a family friendly atmosphere. The beds are very comfortable,The management team is visible & speaks with guests on a regular basis. Grace Bay Beach (a 14 mile white sand beach with turquoise waters) is located across the street. There are Villa del Mar beach captains readily available to provide towels, chairs, umbrellas & drinks to guests on the beach. Continental breakfast is served by the pool each morning & includes yummy fresh baked banana bread & fresh croissants from the local French bakery. The property is walking distance to shops & amenities. I will be dreaming of my next trip to this Island!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Karen V
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I'm going to be the voice of dissent I guess. We went there a year ago on our first of two trips last year to TCI - we went to Seven Stars next - and a few "annoyances" of my own remain. First, I'll start with the positives: it's more private being away from the beach, the landscaping with the silver palms is exquisite, the first corner unit on the ground floor was charming for the gospel music from the laundry building next to it and the penthouse we tried afterwards was very comfortable. The negatives were the service and staff. For one, the female front desk staff was overly deferential to my other half and slightly under with me. I chucked it to a perhaps chauvinist upbringing and ignored it. The result for him was the same; the taxis the front desk ordered were once 30 minutes late for a dinner reservation we had, the car rentals companies they secured, one for one trip off of Provo by ferry gave away our car and almost deserted us before sending us a truck that we didn't know would even make the trip while the second car rental was fine...that is, until a few hours we got back from TCI and someone tried to charge $2500 to the credit card we only used on the trip for that car rental. Me? I just came home to a missing favourite black Donna Karan dress and I've never been able to find a one-of-a-kind unfaceted garnate ring I last saw on the commode in VDM. If the manager would like to respond to this, we were there between March break and Easter last year. In any event, my other half discouraged me from contacting them for my ring. Instead, when we were in TCI again I visited again the jewelry shops we had bought from, and I checked with them to see if I had left it with them by mistake and failing that, I asked them where someone on the island would try to sell my ring. Regardless of our misadventures, we fell in love with TCI and were happy to go back two months later. Grace Bay is gorgeous, the people of TCI generally charming and hospitable, the islands are welcoming. After not getting stranded on the next island that we went to by ferry, we keep good memories of Three Mary Cays and a little terrassed restaurant in Grimsby where the poor waiter was shocked I could actually get through a whole plate of conch fritters AND a salad (we had just made it on the bumpiest of rides through dirt roads in a truck that was scrapyard worthy - I had an appetite!). He shook his head when I asked for coffee. Lol Fortunately, we did a lot of our own cooking in our suites. The grocery store is conveniently nearby at a plaza, and there's also a more reasonable one (IGA) if you drive. The next time we came, we rented a car directly from the airport from one of the major chains. We don't know what happened to the credit card affair other than my other half was contacted as they were trying the transaction and we were given the name of the holding company who attempted it so the card info had already been passed on from the car rental. In retrospect, had they been successful, it would have made the price break we got from upgrading to the penthouse a bit hollow. All was relatively well in the end. When my sister-in-law booked TCI shortly after our first visit, she booked a different hotel down the street. Our experience by all means doesn't reflect TCI as a whole.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LoulouFdeV
villadelmarGM, Director of Development and Operations at Villa del Mar, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:
On behalf of Villa del Mar, I would like to thank all of our past guests who take the time to post reviews. We read each and every one and incorporate many of your comments into our daily operations. With some reviews it is the best interests of the readers to understand the complete story. We apologize for the service you experienced at our front desk. I can assure you that what you experienced was the exception and not the rule as you can see from other TripAdvisor reviews and comments. We pride ourselves on our excellent service standards and professional conduct. I would also like to comment on your other posted concerns. We were not aware of any missing items from you suite and you did not indicate any such issue during your stay or during check out. Only after 14 months you decided to inform us via TripAdvisor…”Tricky”. We take this accusation very seriously and have a strict corporate standard procedure which includes an internal and police investigation. We have never had a problem of this nature in the history of our resort property. Regarding the $2500.00 credit card charge, this was the car rental company mistake and out of our associates control. Again, we greatly appreciate all the comments and reviews of our past guests. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions, comments or concerns.
Warm regards.