“2nd visit was even better than last year...”
Review of Villa del Mar

Villa del Mar
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Chicago, Illinois
“2nd visit was even better than last year...”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I may be one of the luckiest people in the world because I have stayed at Villa Del Mar twice. After having such a wonderful time in Provo last year, I decided to once again attend the Conch Festival. So, I had to see if Villa Del Mar was as great the second time around. To my amazement, it was. Hey guys, this is the place to stay when visiting Providenciales, TCI.

Once again, the staff, led by GM/DOO, Alan Lawley is superb! The resort is quaint, secluded (walk across the street to the beach) and the perfect place to unwind from the hustle and bustle of city life in Chicago. The staff provides a personal touch that other properties can't even dream about. Just like the Cheers Bar, everyone wants to go where people know your name. "Welcome back Ms. Anderson" was delivered with a great big smile from Linco (front desk)! I exhaled. Customer service is alive, well and living at Villa Del Mar.

When I arrived in my beautiful well appointed studio, exhausted from flying all day, there appeared a beautiful bouquet of flowers in the shape of a wine bottle attached to a hand written note. "Welcome back to Villa Del Mar, Ms. Anderson. We hope you enjoy your stay with us. Alan Lawley and Staff." What a perfect way to wind down the day. Thank you again for the Merlot!

Everything I needed for a relaxing vacation was in the suite--flat screen TV, microwave, coffee, dishes, washer and dryer (with soap), toiletries, free WIFI (but, if you're not on business, leave your laptop at home and use the lobby computer) and more. I don't miss that the resort doesn't have a full service restaurant, since there are so many good ones in Provo. Last year, Villa Del Mar promised continental breakfast. Well, Alan delivered! The complimentary breakfast is superb! Fresh fruit, bagels, pastries, cold cereals, juices, etc. This was perfect, and I didn't have to leave the property or bother with cooking breakfast while on a relaxing vacation. Especially since some of my nights were pretty late.

As I mentioned, I came for the Conch Festival. This year, Villa Del Mar had a shuttle to the Festival. For $65, I got round trip transportation and all the conch I could eat in a day. It was well worth it. If you haven't tried Conch, this is the place to do it. I loved the conch salads and specialties such as spring roll conch, conch pakora, coconut conch, sweet and sour conch, etc. This is really a wonderful event in Blue Hills. Next year, I will be sure to bring my bathing suit to hang out on the beach during the festivities. It is such a lively event for tourists and locals, which takes place on Saturday after Thanksgiving. Shucks, I may get the family together to celebrate Thanksgiving at Villa Del Mar. All we have to do is bring the food.

I love Villa Del Mar and Provo so much that I'm heading back in January. I think I'll stay a bit longer, grab some items from the supermarket and spend a couple of evenings enjoying the poolside, grilling steak and/or lobster, maybe even some conch. I'll ask Nadine, bartender at VDM's Tiki Bar, to concoct the perfect drink for my meals. She is fantastic!

A couple of things, Jet Blue service is pretty good going to Provo, too. And, once you arrive on Island, let Ozzie Virgil show you around. Villa Del Mar can call him up for you. He's the best!

Alan, Villa Del Mar rocks! Thank you again for showing that customer satisfaction is paramount at Villa Del Mar. Kudos to Tendra and the team, too.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Debra A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2011

my husband and i stayed in the studio suite, very nice,comfortable,and convienent, pool in front of our room, ok breafast, but was good enough... would definetly go back.. walking distance to alot of great restaurants.....especially Coco bistro..excellent restaurant........a Must...... will be back for sure, and will stay at Villa del mar again....

Room Tip: " stay on the bottom units, very convienient to pool,breakfast,and beach..."
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pina D
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Me & my husband stayed at Villa Del Mar in the 1 BR with a Den for a week. The room itself was clean, had a very comfy bed, great bathroom set up, washer/dryer, well outfitted kitchen, and a beautiful balcony overlooking the pool area. A lot of the restaurants were within walking distance (either by the road or by walking on the beach) as was the grocery store (which also sells beer, wine & hard liquor) The entire staff at VDM were excellent, always nice & willing to help you with anything you needed. The hotel is not directly on the beach, but with the room rates being about 1/2 the price of some that are right on the ocean, it is WELL worth the 30 second walk across the street to beach, where VDM has their own section with towels, chairs, umbrellas & drink service also. We would definitley stay there again :)

Room Tip: It appeared that all rooms have a balcony that overlooks the pool area, so it would be more of a per...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jhmars
Fairfield, CT
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed here Nov 2010 and had a great time! We had read reviews before we went and were pleasantly surprised with both the resort and the service we received while we were there. Would absolutely go back again!

PROS:
- The rooms are great! Very clean and new. We had a small kitchenette so we walked to the grocery store and were able to make breakfasts and lunches in the room, when we choose not to eat out. They also have grills out by the pool for use if you get meat from the grocery store.
- If you like to explore and try new restaurants, you are within walking distance to many great places to eat (with various price points to fit your budget). We found ourselves walking the main strip numerous times and trying new foods along the way
- It is small, but they do have a gym on site for guest use.
- The balconies are huge and a great addition to the rooms. We actually had someone come and give us massages on ours and it was great!
- The staff at the front desk was always happy to give us recommendations on where to get local food and taxis that would not be too expensive. Very helpful throughout our stay.
- The pool area is on the small size but in comparison with the amount of guests at the resort, it fit. There are also plenty of chairs and cabanas and there was never an issue getting either one.
- The beach is one of the best we've seen! They have both chairs and cabanas set up here as well. There is also someone there to get you towels, water, or whatever else you need.

CONS:
- The hotel is not on the beach and you are only able to see a glimpse of it if you are on the top floor of the resort. However, it is just a short walk (really, it's not even two minutes!) through the Grace Bay Resort. The walk really is not bad at all but if you want oceanfront, be advised.
- There didn't seem to be a set time for the bar on site. There is only one so when you are looking for a drink and no one is there, there really isn't anywhere else to go without walking up to the main road or going to the Grace Bay Resort.
- There is no restaurant on site so you do need to plan your eating time based on when other restaurants on the main strip are open - and if they need reservations.

TIP:
- If you're willing to take a walk to the grocery store, be advised that it is pretty expensive ($8 for a small box of cereal). But, being in a tourist area, I am not surprised. You can take a cab to a local store, which is much cheaper. Just ask the front desk and they will set it up for you. They have certain days where they take you, with a group, at no charge. Otherwise, you would pay for the cab ride as well.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We visited Villa del Mar in Aug 2011 as a birthday celebration/summer vacation with my husband. The rooms were great and we loved the large balcony. We stayed in studio. The bathroom had both shower and bathtub. Everything was clean! (the most important thing)
We stayed for 2 wks. The negative is that in studio you only have a mini fridge and microwave and tiny sink. We knew this before coming. We also had ants which the front desk took care of within 1 day. The big negative was the breakfast ( bagels, cereal, cream cheese, juice and apple/orange, small variety of sweet pastries EVERY day!). Even for a female this is not enough to hold you for the morning esp when swimming. Another negative was the noise from huge tubrines across the street (large back side of another hotel which I could hear every day). Overall, it was very good stay! The pool and bathtub were nice too. Great value for the money.

Room Tip: great value
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank maky12
Maplewood, NJ
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This is the hotel for travelers who like to fend for themselves. The room was VERY nice. The bed was comfortable, loved the shower and the complimentary coffee was good. The opening over the tub, which is the size of an exterior window, lets you look into the main area is a little weird but if staying with your significant other it's not too bad. (I just think bathroom time is private time but...)

The pool was on the small side but since we prefer spending our time on the beach it wasn't a big deal. The beach is literally 2 minutes away. You have to cut through Grace Bay Resort for access.

I felt the customer service needs a lot of work. They were friendly but that’s about it. Unless you ask specific questions regarding food, events or activities, they’re not offering any information. I'm just assuming since we were there during their "Slow" time (September 13th – 18th) that explains the lack of cable the last 2 days and no toilet paper.

Overall not sure I'd return to this location but did enjoy my vacation. The beach was too beautiful and relaxing not to have enjoy myself

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank maplewood185
Brooklyn, NYC
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Spent a week here with my husband and two daughters 17 months and 3.5. We LOVED it. I chose it after scouring Trip Advisor reviews and was a bit nervous about being across the street from the beach but it is so close there's no difference except you don't have a view. And you are sharing the walk with one of the top hotels on the island. Having seen that hotel, I far preferred where we were -- better pool, nicer balconies. Our kids loved the pool. The condo was great, everything worked well and the staff were incredibly attentive to any questions we had. Having been to T&C now I would definitely stay here again as it's perfectly located so that you can walk to the store and lots of restaurants. The beach truly is tops. Like a swimming pool and somehow never crowded. It's amazing. If you have little ones, I highly recommend a taxi to Sapodilla Bay which was pure heaven for our girls. The place has only a handful of houses on it (we were alone both times we went) and the water is below adult knees so for the small tiny people it's pure joy. We also took the semi-submarine trip which was so fun for all of us since otherwise the girls couldn't have seen turtles and rays and what a reef looks like. Also did some excellent off-the-beach snorkeling from Coral Gardens where my husband saw the resident turtle. It's so good and close that a curious child could just put on goggles or a mask and stand there with their face in the water and see a few fish. We took turns wading with the kids on the shore and snorkeling. All in, a really fantastic vacation and Villa del Mar is an incredible find.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family