New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of West Bay Club

West Bay Club
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Providenciales
Boston, Massachusetts
“Second Stay Was Great Again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just wanted to thank Asha, Eduardo, and the rest of the crew for making our return trip sensational.
I will echo much of what I wrote the first time around - this is such a phenomenal destination for a family with young children, like our own. The snorkeling could not be easier - and it's not just Smith Reef, there are unparalleled extremely kid friendly snorkeling options the opposite direction as well. The fact that the resort does not overwhelm the size of the pool, and the shade, make the pool easy to use any time of day (or evening).
It was great to see many returning guests from last year, and I think that's a testament to the fact that the West Bay Club is a phenomenal property. The rooms are great, the views sensational, the beach the best on the island, and the water options so easy. My kids are already begging us to book a 3rd trip...
Thanks again to the staff, and we hope to return soon.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Noah R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our stay at the West Bay Club was truly the perfect vacation! First of all, T&C is beautiful. Pristine beaches, beautiful ocean views everywhere, amazing scuba diving. Here's my take on the stay: Grace Bay Beach is awesome, but is very touristy and the "main strip" can get crowded. Summer is the low season, but the "main strip" resorts were still pretty full from what I could tell. West Bay Club (and the Gansevoort which is right next door) are located on the west part of grace bay beach (hence "west bay" club). They are isolated from the "main strip" resorts so to me it almost felt like we had grace bay to ourselves. West bay club was only at ~20% capacity when we stayed which helped. I recommend a luxury suite that has a kitchen. we bought groceries from the local IGA which saved a lot of money on lunches and dinner (we only went out for dinner 2 nights during a full 5 day stay, all other meals we made). beach is beautiful at west bay club, breakfast is continental and complimentary (coffee, eggs, fruits, don't expect gourmet). everyone is laid back and very friendly. the only knock would be that the pool facilities are nowhere near as nice as gansevoort (next door) but we didn't go to the caribbean to hang at the pool so it didn't matter to us. overall a great experience and i would not hesitate to go back to west bay club.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brodyf
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

From the time of my arrival to the time of my departure I felt I was in a dream. This was the most comfortable luxurious stay I've had in years. The staff are very good at anticipating your needs and accommodating them to the fullest. I will be back soon!

Room Tip: Let your heart make the choice...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SharonJ374
Scituate, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have to admit I read a fair amount of salty reports about the West Bay Club just before we went. Those folks were all wrong!!
The staff were tremendous and the food at the Atlantic Bar and Grill was great. We ate there several times with our three kids (11,9,5). The food at each meal was great and folks could not have been more helpful.
Breakfast was included in the room and it was great. They cooked eggs for everyone at their outdoor kitchen and the service was great.
The room was over the top. Nobody need a 3K sq ft room on vacation but it was beautiful. The view from the fifth floor was probably the best we have ever had. The beach and the water were beautiful. We walked just down the beach to the reef to snorkel and the staff on the beach got us all set up with a half day snorkely trip and some parasailing!
We will absolutely be back the next chance we get.

Room Tip: Room was HUGE!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Michael G
Wyckoff, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our 3rd year in a row staying at The West Bay Club. The property is on one of the widest and quietest areas of beach in Grace Bay. One of the reason's we keep on returning is the quaintness of the property. It's small yet still has a restaurant and bar. The staff is very friendly and helpful yet unobtrusive. Eduardo and the rest of the beach crew were great and always friendly and helpful. Tristan and James and JoSue were wonderful at the bar and also very helpful as well as everyone at the front desk.

We always stay in a one bedroom unit and it has always been impeccably clean and fully stocked with everything we needed. We can't wait to return next year!

For more casual restaurants we like to visit the Conch Shack and Somewhere. For a little nicer evening Magnolia's, Bay Bistro, Hemingway's and Mango's are all great as well.

We booked a 1/2 day snorkeling trip with Provo Sports and they did a great job taking us to Iguana Island and then onto snorkeling and lunch on the beach. Also visited Mudjin Harbour on Middle Caicos and had a great time. It's about a half hour ferry ride to North Caicos and then we rented a jeep and explored North and Middle Caicos. The staff was very helpful and set both of these trips up for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Elgin, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here a week in early June and were very disappointed. No one (with the exception of Eduardo) went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Breakfast service was awful. The girl was so slow setting things up with an uncaring manner. Boy, back in the states, she would be fired! Always texting or playing games on her phone. I had given the front desk postcards to mail, and 6 weeks later, they finally arrived. I'm sure they sat there never bothering to take care of them like they said they would. I would say that overall, they could care less if you stayed here. Got the impression too that we were bothering them when we needed assistance. Loved the island but not this resort! Would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank midwestgirl242
Dlunderwood, Manager at West Bay Club, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for staying at The West Bay Club, we do appreciate you taking time to post a review. Our guest comments are very important to us and I am disappointed to hear that our service levels didn’t meet your expectation. The appropriate department heads were notified and further action, including training will follow. Please be assured that this is not the standard for our service levels and I sincerely apologize for your experience.
Most of our guests are returning guests that also recommend The West Bay Club to their friends and the majority of posted comments are of how wonderful our staff is.
However if The West Bay Club team members training is something we can polish, the efficiency of the local post office is beyond our control. Because of that we do not encourage guests to use this service but rather use the on line e cards located on our website.
Once again we at The West Bay Club regret that your stay was not as enjoyable as you expected but we can assure you that we will work hard to improve and given the opportunity hope to restore your faith in TCI and The West Bay Club.
Best regards,
Roxana Underwood
ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

After reading articles praising the beaches in Providenciales, not to mention the glowing reviews on this site, we booked a week at the West Bay Club on their website. This became relevant during our check-out, as the wording on their site regarding their cancellation policies was different on our copy (from when we originally booked) compared to the copy that the front desk gave us on our last day. Our copy had the wording "7 days prior to arrival the balance will be charged" which meant we wouldn't have to deal with paying the balance (after already paying a 3 night deposit) while trying to check out. However, the copy Angela gave us did not have the wording regarding the balance payment, so were ended up having to pay the balance at check-out after all. The fact that this was changed from the time we booked in March to our stay in July was very troubling, as this was not a cheap vacation. I state this upfront as this was only one of "little surprises" that marked our stay.
As for the hotel, I learned that boutique is the new way of saying economy/efficiency, but with nicer appliances. It's similar to how dealerships say "pre-owned" instead of "used" when trying to sell cars. Anyway, the hotel room was clean and cute: the one bedroom suite had a king-sized bed with a very soft mattress cover, built-in closets, a mini-balcony overlooking the pool, flat-screen tv's, cable (although reception could've been better), wi-fi, tidy kitchen with glass tile (loved this look!) small fridge, microwave, oven, dishwasher, toaster, blender, etc. The living/dining area was very airy, especially if you opened both sliding glass doors.
Now, that airiness that was so refreshing was due to the ever-present wind gusts. I'm surprised it's not mentioned by more reviewers, as it made a huge impression on us during our stay, and is one of the reasons we won't be going back. It even seemed like the hotel designers tried to maximize the wind by installing vents in the stairwells, which felt good as you were going back to your room after a hot day. But, when we were lounging at the pool, the harsh winds were really noticeable. They were even more noticeable while swimming in the ocean, as the current was very strong. They could've advertised the health benefits of having your very own reverse current "pool" right at the beach! Those wind gusts could even be heard on the videos we took while site-seeing. Also, while walking on the beach, I joked to my husband that it felt like my legs were getting sandblasted. Note for possible spa procedure?
As for the service at the hotel, well, it has room for improvement. The concierge service was never mentioned, although it did look like there was an area for it, but I never saw anyone actually at the desk. The rum punch drinks were a nice touch to welcome us, however, a shuttle service would have been much nicer. Really, really consider this! The daily breakfasts consisted of coffee, some juices, some cereals, bagels, tiny stale-tasting pastries, and eventually, some scrambled eggs in a warmer. The first night we ate at their restaurant and encountered our first sticker-shock: a dirty banana priced at $18. Whoa! The next day I ordered a "skinny b****" based on the bartender's recommendation and it cost almost $16. I think the cheapest alcoholic drink we had during the entire trip was $4.50 for a Turks Head at a local restaurant.
I know there are those who'll laugh at my sticker-shock and dismiss it as naiveté. It's just odd to be paying hilariously high prices on tropical drinks and then step outside of the hotel grounds to see the real world. So yeah, I'm likely to tick off the foodies, but I don't give a crap about finding the island's best fish taco when I have doubts about my safety.
And, one last thing I'd like to suggest to the hotel: please consider purchasing disposable snorkel mouthpieces. I know the beach guys wash them in a big plastic tub, but still, I was glad I brought my own to use.
Overall, it was a learning experience for us that we won't forget.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple