“We loved it, very relaxing vaction”
Review of West Bay Club

West Bay Club
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Me and my wife had a great time at West Bay Club. We really enjoyed ourselves. Very nice resort with beutiful rooms. The rooms were very plush and comfortable. We would definitely visit again

2  Thank Ivan M

Reviewed September 8, 2011

Ten, perfect score in every category (location, accomodation, staff, ammenities). LOCATION is ideal, ten minutes from the airport, 10 minute walk to the IGA (grocery store), secluded beach next to another luxury hotel.

ACCOMODATION- modern spacious luxury one bedroom 4 Fl. Bed was comfy, marble bathroom spacious and well lite, kitchen clean with all new appliances, well stocked cookware and utencils. Spacious outside terrace with great views of the water

AMMENITIES, air conditioned fitness center (all working equipment), bicycles (no helmets), beach chairs and towels daily, 46 inch flat screen TV in living room and TV in bedroom, DVD's, Moulton Brown bath and body products, washer and dryer. The property was spotless and cared for on a daily basis. Pool was clean and cushions towels changed daily. Free wireless internet throughout the property.

STAFF- the beach guys were always available to assist with your needs with a smile whether sailing, moving chairs, opening umbrellas, or helping you bring in your equipment. The front desk called a cab or assisted in whatever your needs were.

FOOD, we only had one dinner on the property and it was very good. Bartender makes a great margarita.

What i liked best was the privacy of the beach and the size of the property. Not too small or too big and well maintained.

Room Tip: Best rooms face the beach, fourth floor is quiet
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank debbeach
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Stayed at the west bay club from aug 21-31 with my husband.  We were here celebrating our 1 year anniversay. This was our first time in provo and our stay unfortunately fell during hurricane Irene.  However, we would not have stayed anywhere else during such an ordeal.  Dane (the hotel manager) and his staff really made sure that we were safe and comfortable - he responded promptly to my many emails (it was our first time experiencing a hurricane so we had lots of questions) throughout the situation - service here is truly top notch. Thankfully the damage from Irene was minimal and our vacation continued without a hitch the next day.  But not sure we could say the same for the other resorts - we walked down the beach a couple days later and many hotels were still without beach umbrellas/chairs whereas we had ours ready to go the next day - not even sure that all resorts had electricity. We were only without ours a few hours. But a generator on the hotel provided power to limited areas during the outage ie the lobby, restaurant and the gym so we could charge our phones and laptops.

We stayed in a studio room on the 2nd floor which was facing the pool but had a partial view of the ocean. The room's decor is very modern and we had maid service everyday, except for the day of the hurricane which is completely understandable.  Extra towels/toiletries  (molten brown) were provided when requested and we tipped a couple of dollars everyday.  The room also came with an electronic safe and the air-conditioning was a lifesaver after a long day on the beach. I had emailed Dane beforehand to request a specific room and we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived to find that he was able to accommodate our last minute request. We encountered a bit of a snaggle the first night as we found an unpleasant odor to the bed but the issue was resolved to our satisfaction - again, I cannot say enough great things about the customer service at the west bay club.

The beach area is truly one of the best along grace bay - it sits on a wider stretch than the other resorts in the main area and the water was calm and clear.  We even saw a few stingrays while standing on the beach!
And all the good things the other reviewers say about the beach service is absolutely true - they were outstanding! We tipped them a couple of dollars everytime they set up our chairs/umbrellas. Wifi was available virtually everywhere on the resort - even on the beach.

For food, we ate a few times at somewhere cafe which is located at the coral gardens hotel, about a 5 min walk - this is also where we snorkeled, we brought our own gear bc we are avid snorkelers  but the west bay club does provide it - the fish tacos ($15) here are to die for. My husband who doesn't like fish (unless they're deep fried with batter) even loved them.  We checked out hemingway's one night - this was just ok for us.  Had thai food at thai orchid - we were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was here - we ordered the basil chicken fried rice ($11) and shrimp spring rolls ($9).  We also ordered delivery from pizza pizza twice which was probably the best bang for your buck - we got a large pizza (pepperoni and mushrooms), a baked ziti, garlic bread and hot wings for about $55 - all of it was delicious and we had leftovers for 3 more meals.  We did "cook" a lot of our meals right in our room - we had rented a car from grace bay rentals (highly recommend renting from them) for a few days and stocked up on items at the local IGA to make our own sandwiches and salad since our room came with a kitchenette (microwave, small fridge, toaster) - also bought a few microwave dinners along with alcohol (must get the Turk head beer), water, milk etc.  It is true that prices are a bit higher than at home but you would save in the long run as eating out gets very expensive on this island.  Condiments, snacks (oatmeal cookies, granola bars, pita chips) and cup ramen were brought from home.  Breakfast was provided by the resort - cereal, bread, bagels, yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, coffee, tea etc. - nothing too fancy but good enough - I think you could order off a menu for other things but we didnt since we were fine with what was put out.

The grounds of this property are well maintained and the pool was very clean and the chairs were so comfy.  Gym was also adequate with free weights, a couple of treadmills, one elliptical and bike - tv screens attached to these machines were a great touch - and the gym was kept comfortably cool.

Overall, this is an amazing place and there is no other place in provo we would stay. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to message me.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank snrkl_lvr54321
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I am not really sure where to start!
West Bay is absolutely wonderful. We had a luxury one-bedroom ocean front suite on the 4th floor. The suite itself was spacious and very thoughtfully appointed. A huge bathroom with marble fittings, bedroom with kingsized bed and view of the beach. Amazing living area with kitchenette and breath-taking panoramic views of the beach.
The balcony (again very large) was also well furnished. We spent many hours sitting out on the here listening to the waves and enjoying the view. I can honestly say that this is the first time that we have arrived at a resort and found that our expectations were totally exceeded! The pictures on the internet looked good but reality was even better.
Now to the staff. Dane and Roxanna are wonderful hosts who made us feel so welcome. They are understandably proud of this wonderful property and are passionate about providing excellent service. Other staff follow the lead of the management, providing high quality service that is discrete, efficient and unobtrusive.
The guys on the beach are regularly mentioned for their fantastic work. In addition they are also constantly vigilant, watching in case anyone needs assistance with the boards, kayaks etc.
However, less mentioned are the fantastic housekeeping team who kept the suite looking immaculate throughout our two weeks. Front desk were always friendly and efficient. The restaurant provides good quality food with great service. The bar staff are sociable and extremely efficient. Mustn't forget the hardworking guys who were constantly to be seen keeping the grounds looking immaculate (I so hope that 'Irene' didn't cause long term destruction).
It is clear that Dane and Roxanna have high standards for themselves and for everyone working at West Bay. They manage a high quality boutique hotel but are not complacent and are willing to listen to their guests. I had a conversation with Dane in which I said that I was disappointed that there were not any vegetarian options on the menu. He told me that they had recognised this and had plans to rectify it. He also said that the chefs were very flexible and would always make something without meat or fish for me. This was not a false promise and the meals that I received were delicious!
On our last night my husband had a health scare and we had to go to the local (very well equipped) hospital who managed to stabilise him and ensure that we were able to fly home the next evening. The hospital phoned West Bay when he was discharged to ask them to arrange a taxi for us. Instead, a member of the management team came personally to collect us. This was kind and caring and very much appreciated.
We had a wonderful holiday at West Bay - definitely worth the long flight from the UK - we look forward to returning.

2  Thank TravellerHants
Dlunderwood, Manager at West Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

It was our pleasure to be your host. Dane, I and the entire team want to thank you for the kind note and we hope to welcome you once again at WBC in the near future.
Best regards
Roxana

Reviewed August 27, 2011

My husband and I recently returned from our very first trip to Turks and Caicos. We stayed at The West Bay Club. I absolutely agree with the previous review placed by Chistieanddevin. This resort is on a beautiful section of Grace Bay. If you are looking for a more private and peaceful setting this property is a great choice. The resort is spotless from well-maintained gardens and pool area, spacious and clean rooms and a well-equipped fitness center. The beach is absolutely stunning! However, with all the beauty that the resort has to offer it does lack in hospitality. The staff at the front desk (especially the morning shift) was not very friendly and they do not greet guests. Every time I would walk by they were always talking on the phone (personal phone calls), computer/I-phone, and eating behind the front desk. Also, breakfast is included at this hotel. Breakfast is only till 10:00AM. My husband and I came down at about 9:30 for breakfast and there was hardly anything left, except for some apples and oranges. In addition, the breakfast attendants were not very hospitable and seemed annoyed and miserable almost every morning. The breakfast selection is very limited and in fact one morning we were so disppointed that we actually left the resort and went to the town diner for a more satisfying breakfast. The beach attendants are wonderful and VERY friendly...many of the other staff members should definitely take a lesson from them. Charles was the most outstanding of the beach attendants. There is one very big problem with this property..the West Bay Club needs a rescue boat and qualified beach attendants that KNOW how to swim. William, although very warm and friendly, does not know how to swim well. During our stay, there was an incident that happened that involved my husband. William had trouble in the water with the catamaran. The sail went down and he was drifting further out into the ocean. My husband, who was in the kayak at the moment, decided to go assist William to help him get the sail back up. The sea currents made this task especially difficult. After numerous attempts it was impossible to get the sail back up. My husband (who was wearing a life vest) and William were drifting even further out. William was not wearing a life vest. Charles, the other beach attendant, sets out to go help them. An hour had passed and no rescue boats were called or even passed by to help the three men in the water. I had gone to find help myself and found the West Bay Club AC Maintenance Manager who had called for help from his cell phone. Once Charles had reached William and my husband, William left them because he was afraid for his life. He took the kayak that Charles had arrived with and began to make his way towards shore leaving Charles and my husband. Finally, after two hours a rescue boat from Beaches Resort arrived to tug the catamaran ashore with Charles and my husband aboard. Luckily everyone returned safely, but this should be a lesson to The West Bay Club that a rescue boat is absolutely necessary. Also, I was very disappointed that the Management of The West Bay Club never came to speak to my husband or express the slightest concern for the dangerous and frightening situation that had occurred with one of their guests at the hotel. If hotel management has no concern for their guests, then that is why the other staff members do not have a clear understanding of what good customer service is all about. For this reason I would think twice about staying again at this property.

5  Thank Jennifer G
Dlunderwood, Manager at West Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

Dear Guest, thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking time to post your impression and your experience while vacationing at WBC. Please allow me to also thank you for your overall positive comments which makes me believe that for the most you had an enjoyable stay.
It is our policy to address all our guest’s constructive comments and use them as teaching tools to better our services, appearance and overall guest’s satisfaction. Your remarks in regard to our staff will be tended to on an individual basis and the necessary training will take place.
In regard to the unfortunate event experienced one morning, we deeply regret the anxiety it caused you. Please be assured that our guest’s safety is our entire staff main concern. WBC has a close relationship with Beaches Resort that is best outfitted for and to respond to any water emergencies other resorts might encounter.
The progress of the rescue was closely monitored and the Manager on Duty (you identify as the Maintenance Manager) along with his regrets for the unfortunate experience, offered you complimentary drinks, a small token to express how remorseful we felt for your experience.
Again we appreciate your candid comments. Once we will review with our team we will make the necessary adjustment so we can continue to deliver the quality service and the guest satisfaction we are known for.
Best regards
Roxana

Reviewed August 27, 2011

If there's anything one might expect from a small luxury resort in the Caribbean, it's warm, friendly service. Sadly, that's the one major thing lacking here.

The pros: stunning location, beautiful stretch of beach, modern construction, large, well-appointed suites (we stayed in a luxury one bedroom, ground floor).

The cons: that creepy feeling you get when you're treated completely impersonally (like nothing but a walking dollar sign, really) by a small number of people.

We stayed during Hurricane Irene, so our experiences are probably somewhat exceptional. But those circumstances did expose the weaknesses of the resort's service.

Namely

-- There was very limited information provided as the storm developed. The owners did type up some kind of memo assuring us we were safe, but we had to trek out to the restaurant (in the storm) to even discover the memo existed.  At one point we got a "courtesy call" from the front desk, but I got no answers to any of my questions about the storm, whether we needed to worry about storm surge, etc.  "It's just a courtesy call," the desk attendant said. As opposed to an actual call, I guess.

-- There were no preparations made for guest comfort during the storm. You would think candles would not be too much to ask for if a resort loses power. But apparently, they were. Also, there was no food available, really. A desk clerk did alert us to some sandwiches that had been prepared in sort of an ad hoc fashion. They were $12 each. And they ran out long before all the guests had any.

When it wasn't storming, the service was more pleasant but still weirdly distant. It occurred to us after we left that not one person at the resort had introduced themselves to us -- not the clerk whom we corresponded with several times over email, and not even the owners. They did act very charming as we were leaving and thanked us for staying, but still...no "hi, I'm so-in-so."

A bright point: the beach attendants. Very friendly guys, and genuinely so. They could teach the rest of the staff a thing or two about service.

As evidenced by their quick responses to negative reviews, I do think the owners care a lot about their business. But they seem to be lacking some fundamental flair for hospitality. "Low-key" and "impersonal" are not the same thing.

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank Chistieanddevin
Dlunderwood, Manager at West Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2011

To all our guests that stayed at WBC during cat 3 hurricane Irene, we thank you for staying with us and thank you for your understanding, patience and support during the challenging couple days.
To the guest’s posting bellow please allow me to respond directly:
Dear guest,
Thank you for your note and the kind words about our resort.
The West Bay Club is a boutique resort that treats all our visitors as guests. You experienced the personal service prior to your arrival as you exchanged several e mails addressed directly to our concierge Kirshana. She pre arranged a number of activities in your behalf. Upon arrival the guests of WBC are greeted by the FD agent with welcome drinks and welcome packet and each and every one is personally escorted to the room. On the way the agent personally gives a brief orientation of our property.
One day after your arrival, due to the rapid weather deterioration the management had to take steps to protect the guests, the employees and the property. You probably saw us clearing the pool furniture, the beach equipment and the hotel balconies. A note was distributed and posted prior to the storm that gave out important information. Some of those were: advice on watching the weather channel and the local channel for the latest official updates; our guests were advised that in case of power loss the generator will take over and emergency lights will remain on; the engineering team, FD agents and management will be on premises and on duty. We also advised our guests that limited services will be provided. For obvious reasons no candles or open flames are allowed in our rooms, however we did have flash lights at the FD in case one of our guests requested extra light. At no time our guests were in any danger from the hurricane.
As I mentioned before, our concern was focussed on the guest’s safety as well as our employees. Because of that the bulk of the effort was left upon the team on premises. You probably saw all of us cleaning, making food, talking to the guests giving out bulletins and encouragement. You probably saw us together with the engineering manager walking the property assessing and trying to protect the resort. With the FD agents assistance we kept in touch with our guests via phone even if only as courtesy calls.
We were grateful that only for a limited amount of time and toward the end of the storm the resort lost power and cable TV. Our generator provided emergency lights in the suites and water service was without interruption. For understandable reasons on the evening of the hurricane impact the restaurant was closed.
The next morning the complimentary breakfast was made available and extended. As soon as the chefs were able to safely reach the resort a limited menu for lunch and dinner was prepared and served. The bar was opened and we treated everyone with after the Hurricane drinks. Both Dane and I interacted with the guests and exchanged hurricane stories. 24 hours after the storm the restaurant was back to normal and all resort services completely restored with minimal disruption.
We understand your disappointment that your vacation was disrupted by such a formidable event and we deeply regret if our focus on protect and restore during this very stressful time left you with an erroneous image of our hospitality.
And if in the midst of everything going on I missed the opportunity to formally introduce myself I am Roxana Underwood and once again thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

The West Bay Club has everything you would need without the stuffiness of other luxury resorts. Rooms are large, clean, and well-appointed. The service is excellent. The men on the beach couldn't be more helpful...their goal is to make sure you're having a fabulous time. The West Bay Club is situated on a beautiful part of Grace Bay but I would definitely recommend a rental car.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Bettsi
Dlunderwood, Owner at West Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

Just to let all our friends on Trip Advisor know that The West Bay Club is open for business after hurricane Irene and we wish all of our friends in the U.S. to be safe.
Dane Underwood