“Okay...but could have been better, and not as advertised”
Review of Silver Deep

Silver Deep
Ranked #34 of 91 Tours in Providenciales
More attraction details
Owner description: Boat Charter with 20 years experience in Snorkeling and Fishing. Main office located in our Shop on Grace Bay Road: shop everything for island life and book your favourite excursions. Concierge Service: we help you to book everything on Provo. ONE STOP for your entire VACATION.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Arlington, MA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Okay...but could have been better, and not as advertised”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I was looking forward to exploring North and Middle Caicos, and seeing the plantation ruins and Flamingo Pond. But taking the ferry by ourselves didn't make much sense (not without a taxi or car rental lined up at the other end), so I asked the concierge at Royal West Indies Resort about Silver Deep excursions. The tour was steep at $275 per person, but I figured it was a full day and that we'd see and do a lot of stuff. We were told to meet in the lobby at 8:50 and we assumed a 9:00 pick-up. We waited an hour for the pick-up, and in that time, my husband called Silver Deep twice. He was told that sometimes guests at other hotels are late (i.e., the problem is with customers who are not on time) but when the shuttle came, there was only one other couple on there. So I'm not sure where the hold-up was. Then, after everyone was rounded up, we went to the Silver Deep office to take care of paperwork before going out to the docks. I was concerned about the number of people on the shuttle, since we were at capacity, and whether we would all fit on the boat. We were told that Silver Deep tours only take "8 to 10 people" but there were 14 people on our tour, plus the two Silver Deep guides on the boat. When we were standing on the dock, many of us looked at the boat and said "Are we all going to fit on there??" Apparently so. The same thing happened when we took a van tour on North and Middle Caicos and space was tight.

Based on the brochure, I expected a planned itinerary for the day. The tour operators - while genuinely nice guys - seemed to be winging it some of the time. I would have liked to know that we would be snorkeling first thing - I would have changed into my bathing suit at the boat dock. We didn't stop at Iguana Island, and the land tour guide for North and Middle Caicos didn't take us to the ruins or to Flamingo Pond. At the end of the ride, we had a choice to either visit the caves or spend time on Mudjin Beach (not both).

Another caveat - if you're at all seasick, this is NOT the tour for you! These guys slice through the water FAST. I'm glad I only had one cup of rum punch on the boat. Also, bring bug spray! The sandflies (no-see-ums) were out in full force on North and Middle Caicos and these are no mere mosquito bites.

I feel kind of badly for the review, but for $275 per person, I expected more. I get that things run on "island time," but waiting a whole hour for the tour operator to pick us up wasn't cool, nor was cramming all of us on a boat/van when we'd been told that it's 8-10 people max. I don't know if the disconnect is with Silver Deep or the woman at our hotel, but things weren't what we'd been led to believe. On the plus side, the beach BBQ was nice and we definitely were well fed and hydrated, and AJ and Lucky were fun and friendly. I'm glad we saw Parrot Cay, even if we didn't see the other things we thought we were going to see :-/

3 Thank WendyJG

Brick, New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wow... Yellowfin, Wahoo & Mahi”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Our half day with capt. Arthur Deane beat most full day trips anywhere else.
15-minutes from the dock, lines are in with 7,000 ft of gin clear water...
Great boat, equipment, set-up, but thet Captain and mater Peter were the best....
Attention to detail, hustle and fish....
After a dozen Mahi and a 40-lb wahoo, an 80-lb Yellowfin Tuna graced our spread.
We enjoyed sushi at the dock, and the fish was filleted and steaked for all to enjoy at their hotel restaurants...
I have fished many times in many places, USA and internationally, and this trip was one of the absolute best - especially for the time and cost... 15-minutes from the dock!
Three young boys on this trip became eager fishermen... They were thoroughly coached and praised for their best angling efforts - they were successful hunters in the deep....
Every trip is different, but you are signing onto a great time with this crew.
Tight lines - Enjoy!!!
Capt. Paul

Providenciales
“1/2 Day Iguana Island and Snorkeling on the Barrier Reef”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Lucky and Darren are first class! Keep it up boyz! the family had a blast!! Will definately return for another outing!

Rocky Mountains
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Phenomenal Customer Service – 6 Stars”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

There needs to be a sixth star for when a person or business goes so far above and beyond even exceptional customer service. Long story so please stick with it. We chose a trip with Silver Deep because they offered the Conch Cruise (diving for conch and then eating the fresh conch on a beach), Because of post-Sandy weather, the ocean conditions for a Conch Cruise the week we were in TCI were never ideal. However, because we were flexible with our schedule, we checked with Silver Deep each day to see if a Conch Cruise would go out the following day. The Silver Deep staff were always upfront and honest and delayed trips rather than take people out to only have them disappointed.

On the fifth day of trying for the Conch Cruise, we were told the trip was a go. So we loaded up and headed to the Silver Deep shop. At the Silver Deep shop the departure board said Beach Cruise, not Conch Cruise. We were told by the Silver Deep staff that due to the weather the two trips were being combined. We asked, and were assured the trip would include conch diving. However, the trip turned out to be only the Beach Cruise. No conch diving or conch ceviche.

After the trip I went straight to the Silver Deep shop and explained to the staff that while the Beach Cruise was a good trip (more on that later) it was not the trip we wanted, nor the trip we were told we were taking. Captain Arthur (Managing Director) listened to my story and straightaway apologized for the situation and offered to take us out two days later on a Conch Cruise for free. He even moved the scheduled day of the Conch Cruise to accommodate our schedule.

Two days later we boarded a small boat as the only passengers with two Captains. Captain Lucky and Captain Alex took us conch diving and told us to take our time since we could dive for as long as we wanted. The Captains helped our kids (ages 10 and 7) with the snorkeling gear and even helped the youngest while in the water with the strong current (more post-Sandy conditions). We spent a long time in the water exploring and finding conch. With us and several conch back on board the Captains took us to a nearby island. While we walked the beach and found shells, the Captains cracked and cleaned the conch and made fresh conch ceviche. Back on board we were served the ceviche with chips and chilled drinks. After the Captains made sure all our expectations were met (EXCEEDED) we cruised back to Provo.

The entire private Conch Cruise was paid for by Silver Deep. They proved to us, and I hope every Trip Advisor reader, that they take customer satisfaction seriously and that they really do care about each customer’s experience. I could not script a better experience with my kids than our private Conch Cruise. We all will have many memories from a great trip to TCI but none better, or longer lasting, than our Silver Deep Conch Cruise.

Beach Cruise – So our first trip was the Beach Cruise. While not what we wanted, I think this was a fine trip. Three primary parts of the trip (1) a stop on Iguana Island. Actually kind of lame. 15 minutes or so to walk along a boardwalk listening to a tour guide talk about the iguanas. (2) snorkeling on the barrier reef. Words not necessary to describe how great that was. (3) docking at an island with time to walk the beach. If someone wants a “sampler” trip as opposed to trip focused on one particular activity, this is a good trip for them. The Captains – Lucky, Alex and one other (sorry) were great. Very friendly, very accommodating and very willing to help or answer questions.

Visited October 2012
Milford, Massachusetts
309 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 941 helpful votes
“Mudjin Harbor well worth visiting!!!!!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I took the North/Middle Caicos tour on 10/17/12 with a full boat that day. Fortunately, there were four kids, as if it had been all adults, the boat would have felt overly crowded for the 14 person max. There were two families. The guests from Beaches (including me) were told to be at the French Village lobby at 8:45am but we were not picked up until almost 9:15am. Snorkeling / lobster catching went till almost noon when we went to Ft. George. Shawn and Lucky, the tour guides/boat captains caught a few lobsters for the group as part of the beach BBQ. In addition to the lobster, grilled chicken and hot dogs were served along with fruits, veggies and Doritos. Rum punch (with or without Bambarra rum) along with soda and Turks Head beer were also served. The beach area faces an abandoned villa development (unfortunate as the location is beautiful). The snorkeling was good, with a few empty conch found! Next was the boat ride past Pine, Dellis and Parrot Cays (Bruce Willis, Donna Karan and Keith Richard homes were pointed out along the way) before getting to Sandy Point marina. M&M Taxi took the group through North Caicos ,detailing the villages we went through. The causeway was still a bit ripped up and traveling across it was done cautiously. Most of the group went to the Bat Cave (Conch Bar Caves) which was an additional $30 per person. I stayed at Mudjin Harbor and searched for sea glass and shells. Lucky, who grew up nearby, took me to the secret beach past the restaurant at Blue Horizons that is in the process of construction. The path to get to the secret beach is a bit treacherous but definitely worth the effort. Once you get up the jagged path, there is a nice sitting area where the praying hands statue is….great photo op for Mudjin Harbor and Dragon Cay. The path continues to the stone stairway to the secret beach (AKA Hanky Panky beach). When the tide is out, I was told that you could walk to the secret beach but the surf was high and rough due to TS Raphael. The tiny, but private beach was nice. On the way back to the marina, we did make a brief stop to see the flamingos but they were not in eyes’ view, even with the binoculars I brought. Not an issue due to the tour operators, but just wanted to make note to those who really wanted to see the flamingos, especially after seeing some of the images in the tourism documents.

Unfortunately, during slow season many of the tour operators were not going out that week so if you did not want to take the ferry/rent a car, you may have limited options. The tour was nice but you are depending on others to keep with the schedule. In addition to being picked up late, we did not get back to the resort till almost 6:30pm.

Visited October 2012