“Local Fun!”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We didn't eat here, but went for drinks and music on a Friday night and had a blast! Everyone was very welcoming and fruit punch drinks were great!

3  Thank Patty D
There are newer reviews for Chinson's Grill Shack

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Went to Chinson's and happened in during a school father/son outing. Place was packed. Sat outside under the trees and had wonderful service. Got the Jerk Sampler plate for 2 which was enough food for lunch and dinner that night! The festival and Jerk Chicken are highly recommended.

2  Thank gjcooke
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Went here with a group of friends for dinner one night and we all agreed it was the best so far foodwise and the atmosphere. We all shared a small jerk chicken as an appetizer and we all agreed it was very good. For the entree I had the island fish and chips (Tampura battered grouped with fries and mango slaw) which was amazing ! The fish was cooked perfectly, everyone tried it and agreed as well but we noticed its a tiny bit salty but not bad at all ! The only downside is the menu said served with citrus tartar sauce which I never saw so that would probably have toned down the saltiness. But still it was delicious. My friends ordered the pulled pork and another ordered the fried rice. They all loved their dinners. The service was good. It might be that they were busy but I had to ask a few times to get ketchup for my fries but no biggy! The atmosphere is awesome, great for teens for a casual lower priced dinner. The music is loud and the waiters are friendly. Before we left the owner himself came and talked with us which was really nice! Overall I'd highly recommend coming here on your vacation in Turks and caicos!

2  Thank sammysamgurl
Reviewed March 4, 2013

All week, I promised myself I would get some jerk chicken. Unfortunately, we never got around to it. But on the way from our place on the beach to the airport, we planned a stop at Chinsons. It sits right on the Leeward Highway (the main road) on the way to airport.
While they have a small, indoor seating area, most tables are outside. There is also a small, outdoor bar. Because Chinsons sits up high, you geat a nice view and wonderful breeze. There are plenty of picnic tables under the palm trees, but we chose one of the higher tables made from a repurposed wooden cable spool. We watched several dozen cars come and go picking up carryout as well.
Helen was our energetic server. She might way 100 pounds, but has the energy and enthusiasm of three people. As was the case with everyone we encountered on the island, she was tremendously friendly and helpful. She described some of the items and told us her favorites. She made them sound so good, and she was so nice, that we ordered way too much food ... including some ribs that she said were the best we would ever eat.
The food was great. My jerk chicken was wonderful. It came with the peas (actually beans) and rice that you will get as a side just about everywhere. Their cole slaw included pineapple, a tasty tropical touch.
My wife got jerk grouper. It wasn't what we expected. Instead of grilled, I think it was baked. It was served in parchment paper with vegetables on top. Really juicy and interesting. We ate it all and considered sucking on the paper.
The sign says the only cook jerk Thursday - Saturday, so plan accordingly. Other days the menu is mainly barbecue items. Oddly, there is a whole second menu for Chinese. Turns out that's not an unusual restaurant combination here.
The owner/chef came out to talk to us. We learned that it's a family business that started as a bakery, grew to a barbecue shop, then added jerk and chinese. He said they just made some improvements and expansions and there are more in the works.
In the end, we could barely touch the ribs. Helen wrapped them up in plastic and helped us find a hiding spot in my wife's back because she said customs wouldn't let us take them on the plane. Unfortunately, at the airport, my wife was randomly selected for special screening. She was thoroughly searched. They guy found the ribs and was puzzled because he couldn't tell what they were. We explained they were from Chinsons and we couldn't eat them all, but couldn't just throw them away. He smiled and nodded understanding, and put them back in the bag. We dined on ribs on the plane. They WERE the best we've ever eaten.

3  Thank TravelTim88
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Went on a Sat and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and food. Friendly waitresses and owner who gave us insights on everything Turk-islander. Sat music was more mellow but were told that Fri is upbeat with lots of people just having a good time with good food.

2  Thank valuevacati0ner