“Took a chance and it was SO worth it!!”
Review of Blue Water Divers

Blue Water Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Water Divers offers scuba diving lessons and tours to some of the most beautiful sites in the Caribbean, along the unsurpassed beauty of the Grand Turk Wall. PADI courses, snorkeling, and Gibbs Cay trips are also available. Conveniently located in town, their specialty is safe, relaxed diving and snorkeling in small groups.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I recently came back from a Carnival cruise which stopped at Grand Turk Island. We have always booked excursions directly through the cruise lines, but based on everyone's positive reviews, we decided to take a chance and booked a snorkel trip independently. We were so happy we chose to do this! Everything ran so smoothly from beginning to end. The staff were absolutely wonderful to work with and were so knowledgeable. Also, you cannot beat the price for the experience that you will have!!! We would have easily payed twice as much booking through the cruise line. It was such a personal feel, too -- there were only 6 of us on the boat with our guide which made it extremely memorable. I highly recommend Blue Water Divers for anyone looking to have an unforgettable experience in Grand Turk -- you won't be disappointed!!!

3  Thank jmachik

Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stopped in Grand Turk on a recent cruise and decided to get away from the crowd for a snorkel trip. It was my family of 6 and 3 other couples that were also from the ship. We snorkeled at the Wall and then went closer to shore. We saw lots of fish and even a 5 foot nurse shark. Dan was our guide and helped my kids and then snorkeled with us to share his local knowledge. We had a great time.

2  Thank rwishbone
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I have been a visitor to Grand Turk for almost 20 years and have made well over 200 dives with Blue Water Divers (BWD) and will continue to do so. I keep coming back to BWD for a number of reasons. First, it’s owner–operated by Mitch Rolling who has made close to 10,000 dives on Grand Turk’s reefs and has passed that knowledge and experience on to his divemasters.

Second, it’s customer-focused with great service. There are no cattle boats; all the diving is done from Carolina Skiffs that are never packed to the gunnels. It’s small group diving with personal attention; pretty hard to find these days.

Third, I like the reliability and flexibility. The dive boats pick you up on the beach in the morning on time and your tanks are already set up. The divemaster may have a site picked out but also tries to accommodate diver choices and suggestions and to avoid any repetition, especially with a mix of divers beginning and finishing their vacations. The divemasters will also change sites if they see that the currents are ripping or visibility is not what it should be.

The reefs and wall also about 15 minutes away so you are spared long rides. The reefs are also very healthy and with a great variety of wall and spur and groove diving, and hard and soft corals. As to fish and wildlife, turtles are rays are fairly common but some of the really big stuff like Goliath Groupers, huge supermale parrotfish and mantas are now rare. Ihaven't seen a manta in years. All and all, it’s a great experience which is why I’m a repeat customer. And as I found out, it’s also good for novice divers.

This August, I came down to Grand Turk with a friend and her 11-year old daughter who wanted to put a big toe in the water and take a scuba resort course. I came along for a look after my 2-tank morning dive and was totally impressed. The instructor/divemaster, Dan was a consummate professional and extremely patient and understanding of the anxieties that can accompany that first dive. But after that first dive, both were hooked on scuba and ended up doing four more “resort dives” during the trip which I also made with them.

And in one of those never-forget-moments, we were coming back from a dive when we spotted a pod of dolphins. The divemaster was able to put the three of us in front of them and we jumped in the water with just masks, fins and snorkels and were treated to just an incredible spectacle of the ocean. To be fair, you’re not going to see that every day or every dive trip o rmaybe ever, but if you do….

A couple of last thoughts on Grand Turk. I admit I was one of those who thought that the arrival of cruise ships would mean the end of Grand Turk as I knew it. I was wrong. The impact is much less. Most of the passengers stay at the cruise ship terminal at the south of the island although some venture into Cockburn Town and a few do show up on the dive boat from time to time, or do a snorkeling trip. Grand Turk is also not for everyone. If you want a lot of night life and shopping, stay in Provo or pick another island. But if you want a laid-back experience with good diving and just relaxing, Grand Turk is hard to beat. For accommodations, I always stay at Osprey Beach which is centrally located. The staff is very helpful and nice; the rooms are great and it’s tough to beat the ocean views. Also be forewarned that food can be quite expensive in most of the island’s restaurants and even if you buy from one of the grocery stores.

4  Thank T D
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I dived 4 days with Blue Water Divers. They picked me up punctually every day at my hotel, the diving was fantastic, and a better divemaster than Dan could not have been asked for. He was enthusiastic, helpful, safety-conscious, and really knew the waters and where to find interesting sights. Surface intervals were on the beach, just 5-10 minutes in from the dive sites, so it was easy to get something to eat, drink, etc. Audrey and Mitch are accommodating and it was easy to add a night dive to my package of 4 days. I highly recommend diving in GT and highly recommend diving with Blue Water Divers!

1  Thank sskyrm
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Blue Water Divers made everything easy and fun from start to finish. Audrey was very helpful in making our arrangements and Mitch was a great guide out on the water. It was our kids' first time snorkeling and they had a blast! We had a small group which gave us plenty of room to explore without knocking into each other. We knew we made the right choice when we passed by another snorkeling operator out on the water and saw about 30 heads bobbing around and practically crashing into each other. I would highly recommend BWD over one of the cruise ship excursions.

2  Thank kathy T