“Awesome horseback riding experience!”

Sunset Rides & Tours
Ranked #15 of 24 Tours in Grand Turk
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked with Sunset Rides and Tours because of the significant cost difference from the Carnival excursion package. We also had a lot more ride time compared to Carnival's package. We had a little bit of trouble finding the minivan that was supposed to pick us up and were a bit worried about the legitimacy because of the small amount of reviews and lack of knowledge about the attractions on the island. However, the folks at Sunset Rides and Tours were professional and friendly. They provided a ton of information about the island and communities during our ride. The best part was the ride through the ocean! It was an awesome experience and one of the other guides was nice enough to take pictures of us from the shore using our camera. We highly recommend this horseback riding tour and be sure to choose the water tour. My fiance and I have been horseback riding before but the ride in the ocean was something you should experience.

4  Thank Benjamin L

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a "not to be missed activity". They ride was unbelievable! At first it was a little "iffy" as we were to meet our guide outside the "town gate". The guide was on time and we boarded a taxi and traveled through some back roads on the Island. In just a few minutes, We ended up at a small, gated farm. We were a group of ladies all over 60 and of all levels of experience to NO experience! The guides were great, very personable and very proud of their Island. They matched us to horses and off we went. In all I think we were in the saddle for over 2 hours! We rode through the neighborhoods and got a personal tour of the island. Then we headed for the beach. The horses willingly went into the ocean and began to swim out with us on their backs! It was a hot sunny day, so the ride felt great to both us and the horses! The owner of the tour met us at the beach with bottled water! And took pictures for us while we rode in the ocean. Then we headed down the beach as the sun started to set. It was unbelievable! We headed back to the farm, collected our purses and belongings which had been locked in a truck for safe keeping and we were taken back to the cruise dock in plenty of time!! I highly recommend this ride to anyone. I will never forget it. Though we were not pressured for tips, we willingly tipped our guides and cab drivers.

1  Thank mwmwmw60859
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I grew up riding horses, but my husband and son were novice riders. Didn't matter. We all had a great time. What an experience to ride on the beach, in the water and take in the beautiful views and crystal clear water. Just a fun experience all the way around.

Upon arriving in port, we walked out of the gate of the parking lot to meet our driver, who incidentally was the owner, a super nice guy. During the short drive to the stable, he told us about his business and about his "second chance" horses.

We were paired with horses according to our ability level and given instructions and were off. Our guides were very helpful and respectful, and were concerned first and foremost for our safety. We were especially impressed with them as they were teenage boys. We could tell that the owner (I wish I could remember his name) was not only rescuing these horses, but teaching these kids life skills.

Great time all the way around. The only thing I didn't really enjoy was riding back in the wet saddle- but what else can you do when you ride a horse in the ocean?!

1  Thank cclisch
Reviewed January 2, 2013

BACKGROUND:

I am an experienced rider and have had the chance to ride in stunning locations like Costa Rica, Peru, Ireland, and in over 30 states in the USA. I've been riding since I was 6 years old and this horseback riding experience was the best I've ever had. I highly recommend this tour company for both beginner and experienced riders.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH SUNSET RIDES AND TOURS:

I was travelling with my father on a cruise ship during the holidays and we wanted to go horseback riding in Grand Turk after seeing all of the photos of people swimming with horses in the ocean. We looked into booking it with the cruise ship, but it looked like their tour was a nose-to-tail, strict, no fun ride. So we looked at outfitters outside the cruise ship port to ride with and came across Sunset Rides and Tours. After a few emails and confirmations, we were set for a 2 hour private ride.

When we arrived to Grand Turk, it was very easy to find the van driving us to the horses. It was waiting for us when we came out and everything was very professional. The driver gave us a brief description of the island as we passed wild cattle and donkeys. When we reached the horses, we met our guide and were given horses that matched our level of experience. The guide ensured that we knew how the horses were trained and how to best communicate with them and then we were off.

The ride itself was amazing. The guide asked us what we were comfortable with, since a lot of the guests enjoy a walking ride. We said we wanted to canter and gallop and he gladly obliged. The horses were in terrific shape and we were able to canter and gallop for the majority of our ride, along trails, beaches, and beside wild cattle and donkeys. We were also able to swim with the horses and our guide even gave us some history about the island.

OVERALL:

I highly recommend Sunset Rides and Tours. This is a great alternative to riding on a cruise ship horseback excursion and is wonderful for beginner and experienced riders alike.

4  Thank Zeppi66
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My friend and I booked a horseback riding adventure with Sunset Rides & Tours after hearing about them through Cruise Critic. We originally were going to book through our cruiseline, but the tour was full. Thank goodness it worked out that way! My friend and I were the only 2 on the tour so it was very personal. Our tour guide was amazing (I can't remember his name for the life of me! I'm sorry!). After he saw me trying to take a few pictures, he took my camera from me and snapped tons of pictures for us! Like our own photographer :) He was also very personable and knowledgeable about the island. Neither my friend nor I had ridden a horse in years, and he matched us with a couple of easy going horses and went over the basics with us as a refresher. Our horses were very well behaved and knew exactly where to go. We rode down a trail for awhile, then down the beach, then another trail and then to the beach where we were able to get in the water with our horses. He gave us as much time as we wanted hanging out on the beach and swimming with our horses. Never felt the least bit rushed. After swimming, we headed back and dropped our horses off on the beach, and our tour guide went back for our belongings. We had a great experience and very highly recommend them over the cruise line!!

3  Thank KLNelson00