“Best activity on Grand Turk”

Island Trams Limited
Grand Turk Bird-Watching Tour by Tram
Ranked #7 of 24 Tours in Grand Turk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Discover the history,culture and natural wonders of this authentic Caribbean port. At Island Trams our local guides will give you the knowledge, attention and personal service you'll come to expect and enjoy. our comfortable trams and Trolleys glide past centuries old buildings, homes, inns, cannons, windmills and salt ponds. Discover exquisite bird life, wild horses and donkeys. Do some local shopping or find a secluded beach to call your own.
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is a very informative and fun tour. The tour lasts just over 1 1/2 hours and the price is very reasonable. My wife and I had a great time. Just turn left off the cruise ship to the public beach and you will see signs for this excursion. Our tour left at 9:30 am but they have several to choose from during the day. The converted trolley is really neat and the information you receive is great. Just the right amount of time at the stops, not too long and not too short. Great photo opportunities and get a chance to shop, grab a beer or ice cream and feed the donkeys if your feeling brave. The local salt is available for sale at a very reasonable price at the end of the tour and makes a great gift for those waiting for you back at home. Overall, I wish I could give this more than 5 stars. It is great bang for your buck.

Doug F, Owner at Island Trams Limited, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. We take great pride in providing only the very best tours on Grand Turk. We hope you both learned a little about our home, look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

When my husband I were planning our visit to Grand Turk during our Eastern Caribbean cruise on Royal Princess we were looking for an independent tour which gave us something a little different. A tour where we would see the island but also be able to interact with the people on the island.

In all our searching we found Island Tram Tours. On contacting them they could organise a tour of the island as well a a pub crawl. As we both enjoy experiencing local brewed ales this definitely sounded great for us.

So I tentatively booked a tour and trusted that I could encourage a few others to join us. As I was a participant on a roll call on Cruise Critic for this cruise I put out an invitation to those on the roll call should anyone wish to join us on this tour. To my delight and surprise we ended up with 60+ people wishing to join us.

We arrived in Grand Turk on 1 November and when we met Doug and his team at the White Sands Resort everything just fell into place. Doug is the ultimate host and it felt like we had known him for years. He was very knowledgeable about Grand Turk the island he grew up on.

This tour was so much fun and we had a really great time not only due to our other cruisers but also thanks to Doug and his crew.

A special thanks to you all for an amazing tour.

We also returned on our 2nd cruise due to some bad weather around Princess Cay and after some inquiries from some fellow cruisers I was able to set up another Pub Crawl with Doug. Albeit not as many people on this tour but it was so much fun going to different pubs and you guys sure did enjoy the Blue Bar. If we hadn't have had to be back at the ship for sail away they would have been happy to spend a number of hours there enjoying the beers and visiting with the locals.

Doug is very knowledgeable about the island and its history and gave a very in depth and enjoyable commentary on Grand Turk.as we toured around the island stopping at various spots.

We highly recommend Island Trams and should we every return to Grand Turk ( a fair distance from our homeland) we would certainly use them again.

Thank you Doug and please thank your brother and your crew for a really great time. The tour was everything that you promised it would be and I know that everyone really enjoyed the tours. I had wonderful feed back on board.

1  Thank rplusr
Doug F, Owner at Island Trams Limited, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

So nice, we had to do it twice!
Guys we had a great time showing you all around Grand Turk, trust you all took home a memorable experience.
We hope to see you all again very soon, wish only the very best to you and family.
God bless!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

During my Cruise to Grand Turk a large group of us were fortunate enough to have arranged a Pub Crawl through Island Trams Ltd. in advance of our arrival. We met at the White Sands Resort just next to the Cruise Center, enjoyed a glass of local Turks Head beer then boarded two connected trams. Our host and owner, Doug Fenimore, then took us to the Sandbar for a rum punch and freshly made conch salad courtesy of Zeus from the Salk Raker Inn. What a treat that was! We relaxed a bit and enjoyed the local hospitality before reboarding the trams and heading to Cockburn Town and the Oddfellows Lodge. There we mingled with the locals and spent some time with them and getting to meet members of our own group, most of whom were sailing together for the first time. We then drove up to the Grand Turk Lighthouse to take some impressive pictures of the lighthouse and the coastline, and had a nice cold beer. Heading back to the cruise port we just had to stop by Jack's Shack for a sample Run Punch (bring your coupon from his web site), and some killer Jerk Chicken, for those of you into spicy food!

Doug's commentary along the way was fantastic. He is so knowledgeable about the island he grew up on, and was very willing to share that with us. The consummate host, for sure. We sadly waved farewell as we headed back to the ship ..... but now, the REST of the story!

Upon returning to Ft. Lauderdale, FL to begin our second leg of this back-to-back cruise that many of us were enjoying, we were informed that due to rough seas in the area of Princess Cay we would be bypassing that stop in our itinerary, getting an extra sea day before St. Thomas and St. Maarten, then returning to Grand Turk!!! Our Pub Crawl organizer was on her laptop immediately to Doug at Island Trams asking if he could do it AGAIN! He was most accommodating and said, "Sure, gather who you can and we'll give it a go!" We managed to round up about 16 people for this one, but it worked out great! The second crawl stopped at the Salt Raker Inn again because the conch salad was so good and the hospitality was top notch. Then we made some new stops at a variety of places including one roadside market with the island's only official bartender, or so Doug laughingly said! After a very rewarding day we stopped at a modest resort on the beach for our final round, and watched the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen. Back to the cruise port with just enough time to make it comfortably back to the ship before bidding Doug and Grand Turk a fond farewell.

I can only say this: If you EVER get a chance to go to Grand Turk and want to have a most educational and fun tour, just contact Doug at Island Trams and tell him one of the Pub Crawlers from the Royal Princess (Oct/Nov. 2013) sent you! That's what I plan to do!!

Doug F, Owner at Island Trams Limited, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments. We had a great time hosting you guys on our Legendary Pub Crawl. We started this tour to provide something a little different, where everyone can experience our local pubs and eateries while immersing themselves into our local culture. We look forward to seeing you all again very soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We can't say enough about Doug & his brother Ray they have lived on the Island there whole life & they know the history.It was well worth the money they charge and it's cheaper then the ship excursions.Most people are weary when they see guys standing off the side of piers trying to get you to take tour with them but not these guys they are straight forward.We didn't make any plans before hand but made this at that moment decision and it was awesome.If your going to Grand Turk just look for the guy holding the sign at the end of the pier on the left..

Doug F, Owner at Island Trams Limited, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for the kind comments. Like you, we hope others will discover Island Trams. We are an independent tour operator, the only tour company to give back to the community through the National Trust. It is important for guests to know that Grand Turk is a safe, welcoming destination, one should not be afraid to venture out of the corporate structure. In reality you gain so much more!
Look forward to seeing you all again. God bless.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I were on a cruise that brought us to Grand Turks at the end of Oct and beginning of Nov. Our first tour was a tour of the island and a pub crawl. We had about 60 participants from the cruise who signed up beforehand. The tour was fantastic! Doug is extremely knowledgeable and friendly. On our first visit he took us to some of the "pubs" that offered friendly service and refreshing beverages. In between each stop we got to see some gorgeous scenery and hear about the marvelous history of the island. The second week we came back with fewer people, because the island was an itinerary change for the ship and we were not suppose to be there. On very short notice, Doug was able to set up a second tour/pub crawl for about 11 of us. This time the tour was far more intimate and we visited a couple of "pubs" we did not see the week before. We were never rushed from place to place. I felt like Doug and his brother would have done this tour for us with the same amount of enthusiasm and welcoming spirit if I there was only two of us. I highly recommend Island Trams Ltd. We've been to Grand Turks many times, but on these two occasions, Island Trams helped make our visit extremely fun and most memorable. I will definitely return and Doug, I will be sending you some souvenirs from Chicago. I look forward to seeing you again. Thanks for a great two days.

Thank you for your kind comments, we trust you had a fun and educational time with us. We look forward to hosting you all again, the next time you visit Grand Turk