“exquisite, immaculate and the friendliest hosts Ive ever met”
Review of Island House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Turk
Island House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Grand Turk B&B and Inns
west midlands
“exquisite, immaculate and the friendliest hosts Ive ever met”
Reviewed December 5, 2009

I booked Island house as I had a business trip on Grand Turk. Donna, who owns the place was really helpful when I contacted her over the internet and did everything she could to ensure I had a smooth trip. Pick up from the airport is included.

Island House itself is just outside the main town but as you get a car included with your room and no where is more than 5 minutes away this isn’t a problem at all. On the whole Grand Turk is quite flat but Island House sits on the raised parts of the Island and so has a wonderful view over the island.

Island House is in a hacienda type style with beautiful flowers and bushes everywhere with a really laid back Caribbean feel to it – when I arrived there were about 20 wild horses the front gate ! magical. Donna was there to greet me and was undoubtably one of the loveliest and friendliest hosts I’ve ever met. Nothing was too much trouble for her and she a source of information. As the apartments are self catering you need to get some supplies in, but Donna immediately took me out and about in the car to show me where the shops, sight and restaurants were. It was like staying with old friends.

The apartment itself was clean, spacious and modern. The bed was divine. There was air conditioning ( an essential ) and the kitchen was stocked with everything you could need to cook with. There was a bath and shower and lots of hot water. There was free wireless broad band and a flat screen TV. Outside was a private sitting / dinning area with a wonderful view.

Outside was all landscaped with a terrific pool – very peaceful and set amid tropical trees and flowers. Both the apartment and outside were cleaned everyday. The whole place was immaculate and beautiful.

All in all I can’t recommend Island House enough. Truly 5 star and if you are visiting Grand Turk – which is a lot less commercialised and Americanised than the other Islands this would be one of the best places to stay – plus with a car included it is great value for money.

I loved my stay and in a funny sort of way quite miss it now I’m home. As I say, it was like visiting old friends.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank tennyson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Port Ewen, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2009

We stayed at Island house for 7 nights as part of our annual dive trip. Package included 7 nights lodging, 6 days of 2 tank diving with Grand Turk Diving Company and 2 cars for 6 people in 3 rooms. The rooms were in various stages of being finished. One was literally completed as we checked in. All the renovation was due to the Hurricane that hit Grand Turk a year ago. The Island House has recovered very nicely with most of the rooms now available for rent.

We were met by Donna, one of the owners at the airport for pickup and a small island tour. Since we arrived as 2 groups of 4, then 2 more, she made another trip to the airport later to get the remaining 2 people. Island house has a nice fresh water pool, plus great views of North Lake. They provide fresh, clean drinking water via a 5 gallon dispenser. They left a small glass pitcher in each room, plus a larger 1 gallon container if you needed to hold more water for cooking or just went through a lot of it.

The web site claimed they had direct dial phones, Internet and cable TV. As of our visit, they were still waiting for the cable to be re-done for the island from the Hurricane and the phone system was in the same condition. We didn't need either, but it would have been nice to know they weren't quite ready. Internet worked fine, but not by the pool, which was removed from the buildings.

During our stay, there were minor things we needed, like more coffee for the mornings and extra soap here and there. Each request was met with a cheerful smile and the item appeared. Or in the case of questions about where places were or needed reservations, Donna was more than happy to make the calls and arrange things. I can't think of one request that Donna could not help us with.

Overall, it's a great island. Still recovering from the hurricane, but plenty of restaurants are now open. More hotels are re-opening and things are getting back to normal. It will still be some time before they are really 100% back, but it's a great place to visit and we would easily stay at Island House again. It was one of the friendliest places we've been to. The views are also pretty nice since they are up on a small hill.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank donutking1
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Our diving trip to Grand Turk was enhanced by our choice of hotel. Island House arranged our diving with a local dive shop. We were completely happy with the arrangements. We had not stayed there before, but I can assure you we WILL be returning within 6 months. They far exceeded the service we expected. For example, Chris, the manager, picked us up at the airport, and gave us a brief tour so we would be able to find our way about. Island House provided us with a car to use at no charge. We were asked to let the manager know if we needed anything. We were provided with purified water, free of charge.
The Island House Hotel will only get better and better, as they are completely remodeling due to the damage done by Hurricane Ike last year.
Randy and Connie Rudd

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SeeLife
Reviewed October 17, 2006

I will begin my review by stating that I haven't travelled much in the Caribbean, so I wasn't prepared for how expensive everything is, or how many properties seem slightly....decayed.

After reading the great reviews of Island House, I was a bit let down by the property in the sense that it seems "frayed on the edges" for the price you pay to stay there. It looks as if it were once very nice, but that the care that had once been put into it is no longer present, sort of like visiting the once fine house of an aged relative. Appliances didn't work, windows didn't open, projects around the property appeared to have been started but not finished and the pieces just left laying there. The fresh water system you use to fill jugs of drinking water was a little frightening- the tubes were full of green stuff. However, other tourists we spoke with said that is just the way hotels are in the Caribbean.

On the positive side, it was fabulous to have a great, spacious apartment sized room with separate bedroom, complete kitchen and deck. We did a lot of cooking since a meal out will easily run $50. Also the use of a car was fantastic! The hotel is inland, not near the diving shops, so you must have transport to get down to the beach.

Back to the less positive, Grand Turk is a desert island, dry and flat, and our stay was during the hottest part of the year (Oct). Being inland, and in an upstairs room was absolutely broiling hot, even with the little bedroom air conditioner and the breezes. I'm guessing it would have been much cooler to stay at a hotel on the beach, which is what I will do if by some chance I ever come back to Grand Turk.

• Liked — Large room, free use of car
  • Disliked — not upkept well
  • Tips/Secrets — Look into one of the hotels located on the beach
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
14 Thank coando
Pa.
Reviewed August 5, 2006

My husband and I spent a lovely week at the Island House on Grand Turk. Colin was our host and we truly enjoyed him. He took us on a tour of the island, got us to the dive shop so we could get set up for the week, and took us to several grocery stores to get all our provisions for the week. It was also just nice to chat with him every morning or evening as we came and went.

We were upgraded to a one bedroom unit upon arrival, which had a large living/dining/kitchen space, a bedroom, bath, large covered porch, and open sun deck overlooking the garden and pool area. We also got free use of a pick up truck for the week, which is necessary since the Island House is not within walking distance to "town." The pool looked like it may have been somewhat dirty, but was clear and people used it daily. I am picky about that though and it was probably fine. Colin also provided gallon jugs of water for our use to prevent GI distress. We boiled the water too, but that was probably not necessary. We didn't want to take any chances of ruining our vacation though. The frige in our room was one of those mini, under the counter ones and the freezer spot didn't work well, but Colin let us use his freezer in the laundry room, no problem. We were also able to use the washer/dryer to do laundry.

The nice thing about being away from town is that the air smelled fresh. The old salt ponds remain in town and are used by the many different birds. It is nice to watch the birds, but doesn't smell so nice there.

If you go to Grand Turk, make sure to eat at the Poop Deck. It is a favorite of locals for fried chicken and was great. It is down at the end of main street out of the "tourist" zone in a yellow delapidated shack. Looks scary, but the chicken is great and the beer there is half the price you pay at the tourist restaurants.

We spent most of the week scuba diving with Oasis Divers-great dive operation and loved our divemaster Tim. He is a belonger whose family is from Salt Key and he gave us a private tour of the famous family home on the key when we did a dive day over there. Would recommend Oasis for sure-super professional, safe, and knowlegable. We also did the day trip to Gibbs Key to snorkel, BBQ, and feed the stingrays. Great day trip. Also went whalewatching and got to snorkel with a 35ft humpback--sooooo cool.

Overall, we had a great time at Grand Turk and if we ever come back, would definately stay with Colin at the Island House.

9 Thank snorkeler-6
Vail, CO
Reviewed May 22, 2006

My Mom and I just returned from a week on Grand Turk. It was great! The Island House was perfect for us as we wanted something quiet and personal. The gardens surrounding the Island House are fantastic and all the rooms are roomy with great balcanies and views. The pool was a little dirty but I skimmed it off myself prior to using and felt that was good enough...

A few things to keep in mind if you are heading to Grand Turk. Make time to buy groceries in Provo or bring them with you if you are planning on doing any cooking yourself. Also, there was some construction going on next door to Island House so ask Colin for a room on the opposite side. The Courtyard Cafe we found to have the best variety and prices for breakfast and lunch.

The island house is not within walking distance to much of anything but Colin gives you a vehicle to use which was so great! I was fun to drive on the "wrong" side of the road! Just be careful where you park... the streets are really narrow!

I would stay at the island House again. In fact I want to bring my husband there!

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank boatergirlie
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 4, 2006

We just returned from a week of diving and relaxation in Grand Turk at the Island House. I highly recommend the Island House if you are traveling to Grand Turk. Colin is the perfect host and makes you very much at home. He personally met us upon arrival, took us to our accomadations, checking to see that everything was perfect. We had a very nice 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen and living area. Check out their website. It's beautiful, just like the pictures. The mattress was our only complaint. After we dropped our bags he took us for a personal tour of town. Colin pointed out spots of interest and a little history, places to eat with recommendations and entertainment spots. (Mind you, Grand Turk is known for diving not entertainment or dining.) Colin provides you with a small truck for your stay which allows you to come and go as you wish. We spent our mornings and afternoons on our lovely deck overlooking North Creek, the island and the turquoise ocean beyond. The grounds of the Island House are lovely with nice balconies, decks and pool. There were always wonderful trade winds gently blowing over the deck as the Island House sits upon a ridge on the north end of the island. The most relaxing dive vacation we've ever had. We enjoyed the WatersEdge for dining but the service is very slow. The cracked conch and ocean gently lapping below me was enough to make me forget the slow service though. As they say, "Where you going? You got a meeting"? The Sandbar is pleasant and service better with changing menu every night. Groceries are expensive and scarce depending on when the "boat comes". Bohio was nice for a treat but pricey.
Diving with Oasis was relaxing and unhurried. Only 4-6 per boat with great divemaster Macky who made sure everone was having a good time. No hurry here. Nov. thru Apr the humpbacks are migrating thru the Columbus Pass. Three days of diving while listening to whales sing was terrific. It's a beautiful sound. I saw mom and calf way off in distance just as shadows one day. We also went on a whale wathching cruise and saw another mom and calf. Great pictures. We were disturbed by the bleaching of the reefs and lack of sealife though. I've read from others here at same time they saw more but I don't know where. Maybe we are just used to more sealife than others. I heard the water temp has been warmer in summer and cooler in winter latlely stressing the reefs. We have to take care of our world or it won't take care of us. Not a lot to do for entertainment here but I would suggest the lighthouse on the north end. Nice little park and great pictures and a really pretty drive.
A word to the wise regarding Interisland flights. We missed our flight into Grand Turk from Provo due to US Air getting us there late and no facilitation thru the slow customs system. We were at the Sky King gate with 2 other passengers(appearing to be locals) from our flight, they were allowed to board, we were told we were too late even though the manifest was still in the ticket agents hand and the plane was still boarding. Unfortunately our accomadations person from Oasis Divers suggested we purchase round trip tickets from the other interisland airline, Air Turks and Caicos. Don't make this mistake. On our return trip home, Air Turks and Caicos decided to cancel our flight for a training flight and resulting maintainence. We were not informed of this till 30 mins after our departure time. With no other planes there to get a ride to make connections back home we were stuck. They said they had no responsibility or liability for this and would do nothing re: accomadations etc. They did ultimately put us up for the night and their customer service agent helped us, for hours, try to get help to go home. US Air by the way was completely worthless for any help. We were told twice that with a $57.00/ticket change fee we could reschedule our flight to next available but ended up having to pay $1400.00 for 2 oneway tickets home. That's more than our original round trip tickets and a budget breaker for sure. Beware of the interisland airlines as well as US Airways.

• Stayed March 2006
#2 of 4 in Cockburn Town
Bohio Dive Resort
Bohio Dive Resort
#1 of 2 in Cockburn Town

Been to Island House Hotel? Share your experiences!