“Scuba Diving Vacation, liked the place all right!”
Review of Osprey Beach Hotel

Osprey Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Grand Turk
Reviewed March 17, 2008

My husband and I went to the Osprey with 20 other like minded scuba diving people from our dive shop. We traveled with Delta from Atlanta to Provo. Then, we took Sky King from Provo to Grand Turk, a 30-40 minute flight on a small plane which fit about 20 people. Sky King charges .60 for every lb. over 44 for your big bags and then over 20 lbs. on your carry on. We each had a large rolling suitcase and a small rolling carry on and we ended up paying an additional $25 each way so $50 total for luggage overage fees. We both had full dive gear. We arrived at The Osprey after a $7 per person 2 mile cab ride (non-negotiatble). The hotel front desk got us checked into our Deluxe King suite quickly. Our room was nice. Not too bad. Older furniture and firm king size bed. Larger bathroom.... the nice thing was that we were on ground level and we had a porch area with some chairs and a ledge to put our dive equipment on. If you are a scuba diver ask for room 42 as we were right in front of the beach and where our OASIS Divers picked us up each morning for diving. The room was fine, it had a desk, tv, chairs, a mini fridge.... some glasses, a coffee pot with decaf. coffee only and no tea. Also, you get one complentary gallon of drinking water. They recommended only drinking bottled water there. I know someone who did just fine on the regular tap water but we did not risk it. Anyways, water was like $2 a bottle there. And I think the gallon refill was like $3-4. The resturant there was open for all meals of the day and was not bad. breakfast was like $7, lunch were like $12 and dinners were $20-$30 . Deserts there are $8 and drinks were around $4-$6. F.Y.I the key lime pie is served frozen but it is quite tasty. We went to other resturants within walking distance and we loved the SandBar for lunch. Other resturants were all around the same price. Some people rented golf carts to go around the 6 mile by 1 mile island. There are ATM's 1 mile away. There is a cruise dock 1 mile away with tourisy resturants and shopping that I did not go to.
The maid service was great. Service is slow but the whole island is on ISLAND time. Give yourself time for every meal on the island. Food is pricey there. Someone said they paid $54 USD for Rice Krispies and milk. Seriously. Overall not bad. Good meals. Nice location. Fun Diving. Plan on spending $70 more for travelling and more than $100 a day on food. More if you would like some drinks. $15 USD for a 6 pack of Beer at the local
supermarket. Would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank daniellepal

Reviewed January 21, 2008

My wife and I visited Grand Turk for a few days diving before heading over to Club Med Turkoise. It was a great visit - better than Club Med in lots of ways. We stayed in a 2nd floor King Beachfront room at the Osprey Beach Hotel from January 9th to 12th, 2008. I booked via email with the hotel although I had to actually phone them to get a response initially. They also misquoted the price of the room but were quick to correct it once I pointed out the overcharge. I assume it was an honest mistake.

The room was right on the beach with a fabulous view. It was clean and well equiped with a fridge, coffee maker, air conditioning. I dove each day with Blue Water Divers and they were great. They pick you up right off the beach in front of the hotel in a skiff and blast out to any of the 20 or so divesites within a 10 minute boat ride. The "wall" is a few hundred yards off the beach and the diving is fantastic. Other people were diving with Oasis Divers and they looked to be a well equiped dive outfit as well. The whole Island is very low key and friendly. It gets busy when the cruise ship(s) come in each day but at night it is a very local scene.

Mitch Rolling from Blue Water divers plays some great blues at the Osprey on Wed & Sunday night. We heard the band Wednesday - well into the wee hours. Our room was right beside the outdoor dining room and you might consider bringing ear plugs if you sleep lightly. Mitch also played Friday at the Salt Raker and we met lots of local folk there. We always make a point of interacting with locals as it makes the stay a lot more interesting. My wife brought her guitar so we had something to contribute.

One unexpected expense was the $45 extra charge each way by Sky King Air for excess baggage. We had dive gear and other stuff with us that put us way over the 44 lb limit - per passenger. The return ticket from Providenciales to Grand Turk was $161 each plus $90 for the extra weight charge (covered both of us). There was a 50 lb limit per bag on US Airways for 2 checked bags each.

We spent the rest of our holiday at Club Med on Providenciales and had good time with friends. The resort has everything you need and lots of acitivities organized by Club Med staff. The food was great and the diving good but not a good as Grand Turk. If you only have 1 week and don't care about what is really happening on the Island I would recommend Club Med. I was able to tune out the pounding music and avoid most of the hyper-activities - but there were younger people there who seemed to enjoy the entertainment. I dove almost every day and took my PADI advanced open water course. It was great to do it in clear warm water instead of the 43 degree murk of the Pacific. During one dive a 40 foot Humpback whale swam up within 50 or feet of me. I was near the 7000 ft deep "wall" that surrounds the islands. Fantastic.

It was great holiday and I highly recommend the Islands. Next time I might just stay on Grand Turk and make a trip out to Salt Cay to get away from the cruise ship traffic.

Clayton & Kristine - Vancouver BC

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank cmackay2
Reviewed December 11, 2007

I have been meaning to write this for ages - almost 2 years really, and looking for our next holiday jogged my memory. Firstly I cannot recommend Divequest who organised us, more highly, as a mother I do more looking at brochures than actual diving nowadays, and for this reason alone Divequest is the tops, their brochure is fantastic. Then we get onto the hols themselves, this is a small company and they know everyone that they are dealing with personally so the service is second to none, however I would also really rate them on price - I am someone that spends hours on the net surfing for the best deal if we are going somewhere and they are right up there and not worth second dealing as with them you will get the service and etc.
Now onto the Osprey Beach, - Grand Turk is a great place, you fly to Provo and on to Grand Turk which is the historic center of the islands and also much quieter than the modern development of Provo, the museum is well worth a visit, as is hiring bikes and having an explore for a morning. The Osprey Beach hotel is a small, well run, romantic and enjoyable place to stay. Situated at one end of the town beach (also worth an explore) and perfect for the dive shop across the road, the first thing that strikes you is how pretty it is. A Painted low rise property with plants and flowers outside, inside you come into a courtyard with the somewhat unused swimming pool (the sea is just too inviting) and dining tables. Our room too was fantastic, overlooking the sea (this does make quite a difference as the rooms without a sea-view are across the road), we could see the dark water of the drop off. Our room was pristine, and again very pretty, white walls, dark wood and voille type curtains on the bed (four-poster) and at the windows. We had a balcony and often had a sun-downer in the evenings watching the sea from it.
Breakfast is served in the 'Diner' across the road - which is delicious, varied, personal, and really fun as you often bump into people from the Island itself or staying elsewhere.
This is just above water, diving here is super and Mitch, who runs the dive shop is professional, as well as really enjoyable company, and despite the fact that there were quite a few divers on the Island at the time, he ensured that we were always at another dive site, and not over-run so that we would have all the time space and room to enjoy fabulous diving. The night-dive is one of the most memorable of my life, we saw lots, but had the most fun doing our safety stop with just the phosphoressence for company and it was quite a light show.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Sophie39
Reviewed August 28, 2007

My family and I have been traveling to Grand Turk for well over 25 years now. In the past we stayed at the Salt Raker but on my most recent trip to GT my wife and I stayed at the Osprey. Jenny and her staff were fantastic, the room was super clean all the time, even with us tracking sand in on a regular basis.

Yes the service on GT can be slow and yes the number of restaraunts is limited but that is kind of the point of going to Grand Turk. It is not a Cancun or Jamaica or even a Provo and that is the very reason why many people love it. If you are expecting to be waited on hand and foot and get the same food you eat back home then do not go to Grand Turk, you won't like it. Go to Missouri instead.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank orford
Reviewed August 7, 2007

We stayed at the Osprey Beach during the week of July 14th to 21st 2007. We had an ocean front with a kitchen and two double beds. The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable. The kitchen was of no use to small, not stocked and a very small fridge. The fridge held the water and drinks. The staff didn't turn on our window air unit until we arrived around 2 pm and the room did not cool down until the next day. Rough first night. The staff is nice but they don't go out of their way to do anything special. Internet down all week and really didn't seem to care. For a non diver it is not very nice. The pool is in the center of the resturant so not one you want to lay around. The beach is nice but no umbrellas for shade. It is the best place on the island, just be aware your non diving partner won't be overly impressed. As a diver the world class diving made up for any short commings of the hotel. The resturant is good, the Sunday and Wednesday barbeques are great. The food is the same at most resturants on the island as they don't get a lot of selection. But it is good food and safetly prepared. Grand Turk is 20 years behind the Caymans and Prov which is what makes this island special and a must go location.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Riggcpas
Reviewed June 18, 2007

We were there to dive for a week in June 2007. The March review by the Dallas TX fellow is pretty accurate. Only we (3 rooms - 7 people) had no theft problems, though we left, laptop PC, underwater video and cameras etc. in room, plus money well stuffed away in luggage. The internet photos make the place look very nice, which is not quite accurate. AC was marginal in one room, worked well in other two. It's true most don't seem to cater to tourist though that's pretty much their economy. If you had to live there, it wouldn't be paradise. Diving good even though our dive shop (Sea Eye) was the worst on the island, once underwater we forgot about their problems (see my Sea Eye review). Go to Cee's for water and a few other things for the week. Some days the hotel wanted $1.50 for water, other times $2..., unless you said it was 1.50 yesterday. It's the islands and if you ain't laid back, you're going elevate your blood pressure. Overall, it was nice... to be away in a lovely location, but only mother nature provided the paradise feel.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank TscheussY'all
Reviewed May 21, 2007

I just loved Grand Turk, especially after a few days in Provo. It is very low key, everyone is friendly and helpful, and the hotel is 1-2 minutes walking distance from 3 good restaurants and the 3 dive shops. The rooms overlook the water and you are right on the beach, which does have some shade too. All 3 dive shops pick you up right on the beach and drop you there too. The staff and owner of the Osprey Beach are just so genuinely friendly and helpful, it's just wonderful. No shops at all on the island, unless you come in by boat and are in the cruise center, at the other end of the island....Loved that. Nothing to buy. You ought to bring snacks and wine over in your luggage if you want that type of stuff. Narrow lanes with the original homes and buildings, now mostly restored, from 200 years ago, with plaques on each one telling you the entire history of that building or house...a pleasure to walk down the road from the Osprey Beach. Loved the room, the sunset view, and Wednesday bar be que (by the office staff and the restaurant staff together!!) and the total informal, friendly atmosphere. THIS was what I had in mind for the vacation!! Terrific!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
0 mi away
The Sands Hotel
The Sands Hotel
#2 of 2 in Cockburn Town

Been to Osprey Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!