“We were there just after a storm...”
Review of Smith's Reef

Smith's Reef
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed in a villa right on the reef so went out snorkeling several days. Unfortunately the remnants of a hurricane were there the entire week and the sand was a bit churned up and the water choppy. We were still able to see plenty though. You swim from reef to reef and see plenty of fish. It's a little rocky getting in, but well worth a snorkel visit

2  Thank ENDWOOD

Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I saw some really cool coral formations and fish. We rode our rented bikes the four or so from Grace Bay and had no trouble finding the correct beach (found the white Smith's Reef sign at the "Central" beach access near the Green Bean Cafe easily.)

Finding the reef in the water was a little tricky. Initially, we launched from the white Smith's Reef sign, swam about 30-50 yards out and moved parallel to the beach for thirty minutes with no luck. Though my husband is a strong swimmer, he headed back to the beach while I pushed out further.

I found the reef about 100 yards out and about 50 yards west of the white Smith's Reef sign (to the left of the sign if you are facing the water.) I went back to shore and led my husband back out to the reef easily. From the shore, we passed sand littered with broken shells, then sea grass, then white sand, then sea grass again, then white sand again before hitting the reef.

Several other snorkelers on the beach that day commented that they were unable to locate the reef or did so purely by happenstance and were unsure how they really got there. So, I hope my description helps someone in locating it.

Technically, this was my first snorkeling adventure, although I am an EXCEPTIONAL swimmer. I would say this is not a beginner's snorkel site unless there is someone who can help locate the reef and make the swim out more direct for others. Once you get out there, the water is calm and no boats came anywhere near the "Central" beach access point (though they might come by other access points).

It's definitely worth it. The brain coral and our fish friend who seemed to be attracted to the shiny key on my wrist were our favorites.

Afterwards, we had a very pleasant lunch at the Green Bean Cafe.

One other note, we rode out bikes and locked them to the Smith's Reef sign. We took our cash into the water in a small dry pack. We had no trouble with leaving our other belongings on the beach.

11  Thank Kimmy M
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We followed reviews here. Went to the jungle path that was right before house #68. Walked down right to the beach. I just wanted to share that we saw a shark. I was hoping to see turtles & rays but never did but other people did. Just take your time snorkeling so you can see it all. I go too fast but my husband was the one that always found the cool sea life.

3  Thank Daisy W
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were just in Caicos and spent 12 days and out of those days we did 10 days of snorkeling on Smith's reef. We loved it. You do need to check the swells and we found the mornings were really good, about 11 or so for the sun to hit it perfect, We saw turtles, rays, tons of fish and the beautiful coral and sea fans. Can easliy be in the water for over 1.5 hours and not be tired and keep seeing more and more that is beautiful. Take the path by house 68 down to save the walk from the parking lot area. You can park on off the road and no problem. This was our favorite snorkeling in the area.

3  Thank Lynn G
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This spot is a little outside the area where tourists like to stay. Being far from Grace Bay you may want to rent a car or a bike. It is located just outside the canal where boats come and go to the marina by Turtle cove. A beautiful nature spot. The access to the water from shore is a little slippery with shallow rock formation, but not a big deal if you like exploring. We saw several kinds of reef fish. Not a crowded place, it makes a great spot for a day on your "private beach'. Highly recommend.